PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stand, What Do You Use?

tonywtc
03-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I am just curious what the majority of people here use for tree stands? Home made permanent? Store bought? Do you leave it up all year? How long before hunting season should you put one up? What do you look for in a tree stand? What do you wish you had in your tree stand?(Be realistic please)

leadpillproductions
03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
This year i used a stroe bought one biggae i think was good but th seat little to small . I put it up first of oct was seeing game every time in stand . No matter whatyou deside make sur its a comfy one.

snareman1234
03-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I use a summit Viper

tonywtc
03-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Also how do you get in/out of your tree stands? rope ladder, climbing stand, 2x4's screwed/nailed to the tree trunk?

Alone in the wildernes
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Permament , folding ladder, hot & cold running water, flush toilet, heat, fridge.

tonywtc
03-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Permament , folding ladder, hot & cold running water, flush toilet, heat, fridge.

I bet everyone would like that Ken, but I did say please be realistic. lol

Iltasyuko
03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Summit Viper

tonywtc
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM

I found your idea of a tree stand

http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/index.php?/scattershooting/article/how_to_build_a_real_tree_stand

lol

ianwuzhere
03-06-2011, 08:18 PM
this past season i used self climbing tree stands- highly recommend em over the peg in tree ones..

J_T
03-06-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm an advocate for no trace hunting. Always use a hang on stand. Cro's nest. Nice and light.

Alone in the wildernes
03-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Do you no how cold it gets from mid NOV. sitting in a tree stand you get dam cold and peeing in bottle is not fun. See thats why thoughs things would be nice to have ok the fridge was a bit much.

bearhunter338-06
03-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry these feet stay on the ground.:mrgreen:

Ddog
03-06-2011, 09:40 PM
several kinds,, love them all, everyone i have is a hang-on with either a folding ladder or screw in treesteps, i put my stand up a minimum of 1 week before i use it.
i am a bowhunter and use stand all year long, i use the gorilla, king kong, and some different ones that were made up.
hate the self climbers. had one for some time but gave it away because of the hate i had for it. thought i would like it but never did.

Kody94
03-06-2011, 10:14 PM
I use a Gorilla King Kong hang on. I have screw in steps and strap on ladder segments....I like the strap on steps better than the screws, but they suck to carry around.

I think I'm going to pick up a Gorilla Silverback Scout HX this year for more remote setups...its just a hair over 10lbs.

tonywtc
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
thanks for the info guys

CanuckShooter
03-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Summit Viper....sweeet self climbing stand...

huntwriter
03-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I am just curious what the majority of people here use for tree stands? Home made permanent? Store bought?

I use a variety of treestands models from hang-on to climbers and ladder stands. I used to own over 30 different stands, now only 16.Having many different stands provides me with the opportunity to hang a stand in any tree no mater what shape and size the tree has. I only use stands from reputable manufactures that are members of the Treestand Manufacturer Association (TMA). Never used a home built stand and never will. Home built stands are accidents waiting to happen.

Do you leave it up all year?
I never leave a stand hanging all year. After the season they all come down and will be thoroughly inspected for wear and tear and then put away or repaired if required before storing them for the winter.

How long before hunting season should you put one up?
At the very latest two months before the season opens, most of my stands are up 3 months before the season. But that does not mean that the stands will hang all season on the same spot. I keep moving them around to adjust to changing deer movement patterns.

What do you look for in a tree stand?
Safety is number one. Easy to hang on the tree or to assemble is number two. If it takes me more than 3 minutes to set a climbing stand up I wont use it. Next on the list is comfort. Brand of stand is of no consideration to me as along it meet the above requirements. However, my favourites are, Summit, Tree-Lounge and NonTypical, and I still have a few old Loc-On stands, there quality and ease of installation is hard to beat.

What do you wish you had in your tree stand?(Be realistic please)

Nothing really other than a good padded seat and backrest. The only other features that all my stands have is a gear haul line and a bow holder. The less gadgets a stand has the less can go wrong or make noise.

tonywtc
03-07-2011, 09:36 PM
I use a variety of treestands models from hang-on to climbers and ladder stands. I used to own over 30 different stands, now only 16.Having many different stands provides me with the opportunity to hang a stand in any tree no mater what shape and size the tree has. I only use stands from reputable manufactures that are members of the Treestand Manufacturer Association (TMA). Never used a home built stand and never will. Home built stands are accidents waiting to happen.

I never leave a stand hanging all year. After the season they all come down and will be thoroughly inspected for wear and tear and then put away or repaired if required before storing them for the winter.

At the very latest two months before the season opens, most of my stands are up 3 months before the season. But that does not mean that the stands will hang all season on the same spot. I keep moving them around to adjust to changing deer movement patterns.

Safety is number one. Easy to hang on the tree or to assemble is number two. If it takes me more than 3 minutes to set a climbing stand up I wont use it. Next on the list is comfort. Brand of stand is of no consideration to me as along it meet the above requirements. However, my favourites are, Summit, Tree-Lounge and NonTypical, and I still have a few old Loc-On stands, there quality and ease of installation is hard to beat.

Nothing really other than a good padded seat and backrest. The only other features that all my stands have is a gear haul line and a bow holder. The less gadgets a stand has the less can go wrong or make noise.

That was extreemly helpfull, thankyou

CanuckShooter
03-13-2011, 08:26 AM
I

However, my favorites are, Summit, Tree-Lounge and NonTypical, and I still have a few old Loc-On stands, there quality and ease of installation is hard to beat.

Weight and bulk, are considerations......the above mentioned 'tree-lounge' is heavy and bulky and not really conducive to packing around to reach more remote locations....the summit viper on the other hand at 19 lbs comes highly recommended by those that know.:-D

JAFA
03-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Typically how far from the ground do you set them up?
Thanks
Jim.

thatskindafunny
03-13-2011, 11:30 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/tree_stand_1.jpg

BlacktailStalker
03-13-2011, 04:05 PM
I have a summit viper (I think) and a couple cheap-o hang ons.
Depending on angle of the tree to game trail, 15-20'.
I dont hunt from my treestand religiously, I more use it as a tactic for certain situations/set ups.