PDA

View Full Version : Alpine Mule Deer Hunting

Don_Abbate
03-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some advice for hunting Mule Deer in the Alpine. I know there are many seasoned and very knowledgeable hunters on HBC, and this topic, so I'm pretty lucky for that. I have never hunted the high country before, but it looks like something that is very addicting and an amazing experience. NO SPOTS NEEDED JUST INFORMATION ON THE PROCESS and important factors. Thanks alot. Don

swampthing
03-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Lilloett, Lyton type country is great for nice alpine. Look on the maps for road access to get close to the alpine and hike. Summer scouting from below may produce deer sightings. Once you hit the alpine nothing else compares. Get a suitable backpack and be prepared to bone your animal out for transporting it out. Spot and stalk is the game in the alpine. Try to approach deer from above. They usually bed facing downhill. Morning air currents rise as well. If you hunt the early season you will find groups of bucks in velvet. A mulie in velvet is a beautiful animal. Have fun.

frenchbar
03-06-2011, 06:04 PM
once your camped...i usually camp at treeline..for obvious reasons ,wind protection ..firewood ect,...get out of bed early and climb up where you can look over a couple basins without having to move to far..get your self hidden away...and start glassing at day break..the muleys useually graze till roughly 9.00 am before bedding down..once you spot what your looking for ..keep close tabs on where he lays down ..pick out some land marks close to where he lays ..will help once you start your stalk.weather also plays a big part in where the bucks will bed ..a lot of times when its hot out you will find them right up near the top lying in the wind exactley where you wouldnt think they would be ..so never let your guard down..you will bounce them out of spots you would never expect them to be...in the evenings i tend to look near the edge of the treelines.i find the best is to sit and be patient. a lot of times the bucks will get up to stretch and change bedding spots during the middle of the day ..so all i can say is glass ..glass..and more glassing and patience.

Brambles
03-06-2011, 06:09 PM
get the right gear

snareman1234
03-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Lilloett, Lyton type country is great for nice alpine. Look on the maps for road access to get close to the alpine and hike. Summer scouting from below may produce deer sightings. Once you hit the alpine nothing else compares. Get a suitable backpack and be prepared to bone your animal out for transporting it out. Spot and stalk is the game in the alpine. Try to approach deer from above. They usually bed facing downhill. Morning air currents rise as well. If you hunt the early season you will find groups of bucks in velvet. A mulie in velvet is a beautiful animal. Have fun.

X2

Just waste your life away on google earth like the rest of us. LOTS of alpine in BC, as stated there's lytton, there's the Coq, there's the koots, and lots else.

Glass lots!

Don't forget that not all the big bucks will be up top in the nice open alpine, always watch the treeline too.

frenchbar
03-06-2011, 06:20 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31228

some more good info for ya .

frenchbar
03-06-2011, 06:35 PM
A Alpine muley my son took in 08 using the spot and stalk method..from the time we spotted him and stalked in and took him was about 1 hr.lots of belly crawlin !
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/P9100134.jpg

Don_Abbate
03-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys. Frenchbar thats a great buck your son took in some beautiful country, thanks for the help. Ive been using google earth to try and get a better understanding of the alpine and how to access it. Im not sure if the spots I hunt now will be the best or if i have to explore a little more. Mostly hunt deer in region 3 and 8

Don_Abbate
03-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Im gonna go extra hard on google earth then try to get out to those areas and do some scouting this summer.

frenchbar
03-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Find a spot and go check and scout it out in the summer get to know the terrain ...if you see game go back opening day..they will still be around .

GoatGuy
03-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Good sources are backpacking websites and provincial parks. :wink:

Once you find a likely spot go for a camping in July/August and do some looking around.

Don_Abbate
03-06-2011, 08:13 PM
is it true that mulies can be found in similar places as goats in the alpine

Buck TraX
03-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I have read a lot of hiking forums to research the fraser valley access points to some high up places and theres lots of hikers talking about all the beautiful bears and deer they see and they completly disclose the locations if you get my drift :mrgreen:

Goliath
03-06-2011, 11:55 PM
is it true that mulies can be found in similar places as goats in the alpine

Yes they CAN..."can" being the operative word.

Goat country isn't the best place hunt alpine deer, so I wouldn't limit myself to that. Unless you have a goat LEH and are hoping to combo hunt.

Mr. Dean
03-07-2011, 02:33 AM
Find a spot and go check and scout it out in the summer get to know the terrain ...if you see game go back opening day..they will still be around .

^^^
x2.

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 03:04 AM
I will be headed up to scout mule deer this year in the alpine I will take my back pack, dry food ,spotter ,field glass ,small tent.

Spend 3 or 4 days scouting the area out for mr big :wink:..

swampthing
03-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Frenchbar, Ive shoot a couple deer on that hill, or should I say mountain. I proposed to my current wife at the base of it.

Weatherby Fan
03-07-2011, 07:01 PM
We start scouting for Mule Deer in late June as long as the snows gone,depending where you go a headnet for mosquitos can help as they can be very bad to non existent,
We try to key in on South facing slopes or bowls and areas with burns as it seems to attract deer with lots of feed.
Get up as high as possible sit down with a good view and glass,glass and glass some more and have your spotting scope at hand.

It's always better if your above them,watch your wind,don't skyline yourself and don't polute the bowls your scouting/hunting by walking through them,
If possible creep up in the timber or on the backside of the hills you want to glass.
I hunt a huge south facing bowl every year with great success,we backpack up through the timber and and camp on the Northeast backside of the bowl,every morning one hr b4 it lightens up I climb over to the front/east side of the bowl with coffee in hand and sit in front of the same alpine shrub where I can glass the whole bowl,
During hunting season if not disturbed we have shot 4 points or better still feeding at 10am or later.
If it's still very hot during the day(early Sept) the deer we hunt in this area feed out of the bowl and bed on the north side of the bowl where its cool in the timber.
There is tons of Alpine in BC so you should have no trouble finding some to scout and then hunt as long as you don't mind hiking.

WF

.330 Dakota
03-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Decent mulies seem to be where ever you happen to find them. I guess the further you are in past averge Joe the better.

muledeercrazy
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Decent mulies seem to be where ever you happen to find them. I guess the further you are in past averge Joe the better.

x2

if not further past the average joe, then wherever the average guy isnt.

I have never shot a booner buck, so i dont claim to be an expert. I do disagree with alot of guys on here. Hard work alone will often get you nowhere. You have to work hard, and have a plan. Working smart makes alot of difference. That, or just being lucky. That has worked for me! When i run out of luck and have to rely on smarts i might be in trouble.. Apparently the big mulies are smart and elusive. By big i mean 175 plus.. Anyone can luck into 160 class bucks, done it a few times myself!

Alpine Addict
03-07-2011, 07:40 PM
Saw the biggest deer of my life in the alpine this year. Took me 7 trips to see a deer. If you think a spot is good, It most likely is.

dana
03-07-2011, 07:52 PM
For anyone looking at hunting muleys above timerline for the first time I would recommend they pick up one of two books, Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman or Hunting Public Land Muleys by David Long. Mikes book was out of print for a while but I heard they reprinted it recently. These books aren't rocket science for guys that have been doing it for a long time, but they are for guys who have never hunted the highcountry before.

After that, I recommend you pick a few areas that intrigue you and then go explore them in the summer, spending a lot of time behind the glass at the most critical times of day, 4:30-6:30 am and 7:30-9:30 pm. Preseason scouting is the best way to learn where the bucks are and where they aren't.

spear
03-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Dana, I have been trying to find that buook by David Long, did you order a copy oniline?

dana
03-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I would imagine the Eastmans Hunting Journal website would have David's book. Monster Muleys.com would also be another spot to check. I know they were carrying it a while back. If you can't find it at those 2 websites, check out Amazon.com.

Weatherby Fan
03-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I have both those books that dana is refering to and they have lots of great info,pick up David Longs dvd's also some great footage and ideas on alpine hunting,
If you buy Longs book it has a dvd inside the cover which goes over gear essentials for alpine backpack hunts.

www.eastmans.com

.330 Dakota
03-07-2011, 09:29 PM
x2

if not further past the average joe, then wherever the average guy isnt.

I have never shot a booner buck, so i dont claim to be an expert. I do disagree with alot of guys on here. Hard work alone will often get you nowhere. You have to work hard, and have a plan. Working smart makes alot of difference. That, or just being lucky. That has worked for me! When i run out of luck and have to rely on smarts i might be in trouble.. Apparently the big mulies are smart and elusive. By big i mean 175 plus.. Anyone can luck into 160 class bucks, done it a few times myself!

So true, one of the biggest whitetails I ever saw was shot in the guys backyard in the middle of the day and the middle of the season

Weatherby Fan
03-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Dana, I have been trying to find that buook by David Long, did you order a copy oniline?

Public Land Mulies
By David Long
19.99 on eastmans website under shop eastmans and than at the bottom of the page book # 5
www.eastmans.com

rides bike to work
03-07-2011, 10:00 PM
how is the alpine for lml black tail

mark
03-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Im gonna go extra hard on google earth then try to get out to those areas and do some scouting this summer.

Thats what I did a few years back....heres what i found when I did the hike!
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=38169

One of the best things Ive learned about alpine hunting in recent years is to spend the night up there.....I see the most deer in the first and last hour of daylight!

Don_Abbate
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
wow nice buck mark, great info from everyone thank you.

So do these Alpine bucks stay in the alpine mostly in the early season or do they ever find there way down lower.

slyfox
03-09-2011, 01:22 AM
Don you have to get your ass out of the truck to alpine hunt you big moose.

snareman1234
03-09-2011, 08:08 AM

So do these Alpine bucks stay in the alpine mostly in the early season or do they ever find there way down lower.

Well big bucks can be found from 1000'-8000' in the early season too. There is just a general trend that a mass migration up to better feeding above timberline happens for the summer.

Some guys say the real big bucks won't push down from the 'pine until those bucks are pushing their brisket through snow. I know few guys that sled some alpine up here, and they have seem bucks chest deep just at the beginning of nov, still up top, waiting until the rut to go down.

But as a general trend I believe the majority of the bucks begin to push lower out of the alpine after a bunch of harsh frosts kill all the good nutrition and snow covers the ground

Don_Abbate
03-09-2011, 08:40 AM
thats what i thought, damn its a long time till september.

GoatGuy
03-09-2011, 09:43 AM

Depends on the area and the migration for rutting and wintering areas.

Best thing is to get to know a spot.

Squire
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM
The best advice I could give you is to hunt as a pair. You need a hunting partner with both ability and understanding as you may decide to take turns being the shooter on alternate trips. It is almost impossible to pack out a whole deer in one trip as boned out a large buck can still yield 100 lbs of meat. With the rest of your gear that is one unmanageable pack. When you hunt as a pair you can divide the gear; one pair of binos, one spotting scope, one tent, one camp stove, one pot etc.. I have even taken only one rifle between two of us on a particularily gruelling backpack into a remote area. Using this buddy method can greatly increase your range and amount of days you can spend afield.

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 09:56 AM
The best advice I could give you is to hunt as a pair. You need a hunting partner with both ability and understanding as you may decide to take turns being the shooter on alternate trips. It is almost impossible to pack out a whole deer in one trip as boned out a large buck can still yield 100 lbs of meat. With the rest of your gear that is one unmanageable pack. When you hunt as a pair you can divide the gear; one pair of binos, one spotting scope, one tent, one camp stove, one pot etc.. I have even taken only one rifle between two of us on a particularily gruelling backpack into a remote area. Using this buddy method can greatly increase your range and amount of days you can spend afield.

Good to have a couple guys for sure ....but 1 gun :confused: never would i do that ..some thing happens to the gun and trip over . not to mention get split up and the guy without the gun sees a booner and gets to watch him split into the distance never to be seen again .or big ass bear surprizes you without a gun...gun stays with me no matter what!

Don_Abbate
03-09-2011, 10:14 AM
yah ill be with a buddy, and we will both bring our rifles

Don_Abbate
03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
As for the late hunts, i haven't really understood fully where the deer migrate for the winter.

BCrams
03-09-2011, 10:31 AM
As for the late hunts, i haven't really understood fully where the deer migrate for the winter.

Don't get off track here. You want to hunt alpine mule deer, stick with getting to know alpine areas for deer.

GG made a good suggestion regarding Provincial Parks.

Some great places to check out close to the lower mainland. Check out the Snowy backcountry alpine areas south of Keremeos. Guarantee there's good mule deer in those alpine areas and good access. Just put the time in scouting / hunting and you're good to go. Just looking at the park photo's myself, it took me 2 minutes to figure that the areas of Newby basin and Barney's hole are a couple spots I'd spend a few days glassing.

Squire
03-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Good to have a couple guys for sure ....but 1 gun :confused: never would i do that ..some thing happens to the gun and trip over . not to mention get split up and the guy without the gun sees a booner and gets to watch him split into the distance never to be seen again .or big ass bear surprizes you without a gun...gun stays with me no matter what!

Valid points Frenchbar and I would generally agree that each hunter should pack a firearm although I have hunted the high country for more than 20 years and have never had anything 'happen to' my rifle.

The one and only time we had just one rifle between two of us involved a full day of backpacking through virgin timber - no trail - just to get to the remote basin we were hunting. When the return hike alone takes two full days you are especially conscious of your total pack weight. On this particular trip I had an LEH goat tag and my buddy just had a deer tag. We never split up as per our plan to take only one animal and it would have to be a good representative of whatever showed itself first; goat I shoot, deer he shoots. This was the fair way we came up with who would be the shooter and who would be the mule for such a brutal backpack.

Don_Abbate
03-09-2011, 11:39 AM
ive looked at the provincal parks websites there a lot of help you can narrow your search results to areas where hunting is allowed and certain trails

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 11:42 AM
Valid points Frenchbar and I would generally agree that each hunter should pack a firearm although I have hunted the high country for more than 20 years and have never had anything 'happen to' my rifle.

The one and only time we had just one rifle between two of us involved a full day of backpacking through virgin timber - no trail - just to get to the remote basin we were hunting. When the return hike alone takes two full days you are especially conscious of your total pack weight. On this particular trip I had an LEH goat tag and my buddy just had a deer tag. We never split up as per our plan to take only one animal and it would have to be a good representative of whatever showed itself first; goat I shoot, deer he shoots. This was the fair way we came up with who would be the shooter and who would be the mule for such a brutal backpack.
i see where your coming from.less stuff the better to pack out for sure..just dont think i could chance it thats all would rather cut out other weight to pack than the gun .

Squire
03-09-2011, 01:06 PM
The debate about each packing a rifle takes away from the point that a buddy allows you to split gear and give yourselves the opportunity to increase your hunting range in both distance and time.
The 'understanding' between hunting partners is especially crucial when you are far from the nearest road. Kirby's bad experience had as much to do with having the kind of partner who would f&%k off down the trail leaving him unarmed as it did with not packing a rifle.
The understanding is also important when it comes to chores; gather wood, pitch the tent, light the fire, put a pot of water on - you have to both pull your weight.
The point of my original post was to not only have a buddy but to pick him wisely.

BCrams
03-09-2011, 01:33 PM
ive looked at the provincal parks websites there a lot of help you can narrow your search results to areas where hunting is allowed and certain trails

Question is - will you committ yourself and put an effort in ;) Most hunters don't.

Even on the Cathedral side across from the Snowy is opposite of the Pasayton Wilderness area on the US side .... the Pasayton has produced monster mule deer and given part of that mountain range is in BC ... I'd give that area a serious look over. Committ yourself to scouting at least 2 or 3 short trips in July and August ... find some deer and be back there in September. Done!

dino
03-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Don't get off track here. You want to hunt alpine mule deer, stick with getting to know alpine areas for deer.

GG made a good suggestion regarding Provincial Parks.

Some great places to check out close to the lower mainland. Check out the Snowy backcountry alpine areas south of Keremeos. Guarantee there's good mule deer in those alpine areas and good access. Just put the time in scouting / hunting and you're good to go. Just looking at the park photo's myself, it took me 2 minutes to figure that the areas of Newby basin and Barney's hole are a couple spots I'd spend a few days glassing.
This is a diffrent type of alpine hunting area and I think south slope is a good place too to check out but there is quite abit of traffic there. Way better alpine out there. As far as the cathedrals go, good luck with that.

Orangethunder
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
I would focus on areas that many would consider sub alpine. Sparse balsam clumps adjacent to feeding areas.

Also when it comes to dealing with G bears two guns are way better than one. If you are unfortunate enough to have a close encounter you'll be more than happy you brought the extra 7lbs.

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
[quote=Orangethunder;875110]I would focus on areas that many would consider sub alpine. Sparse balsam clumps adjacent to feeding areas.

Good call OT..i would agree 100%

Husky7mm
03-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Question is - will you committ yourself and put an effort in ;) Most hunters don't.

Even on the Cathedral side across from the Snowy is opposite of the Pasayton Wilderness area on the US side .... the Pasayton has produced monster mule deer and given part of that mountain range is in BC ... I'd give that area a serious look over. Committ yourself to scouting at least 2 or 3 short trips in July and August ... find some deer and be back there in September. Done!
What do you do when you find them in august and come back on sept 9 and they seem to have vanished? Has happen to me more than once and I packed up and left. Should I have kept at it or do you think they left too?

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 02:35 PM
What do you do when you find them in august and come back on sept 9 and they seem to have vanished? Has happen to me more than once and I packed up and left. Should I have kept at it or do you think they left too? They can hole up and stick in the trees below alpine as well..try still hunting them in the trees .

BCrams
03-09-2011, 02:38 PM
This is a diffrent type of alpine hunting area and I think south slope is a good place too to check out but there is quite abit of traffic there. Way better alpine out there. As far as the cathedrals go, good luck with that.

Certainly a difference between Crater Mtn and Snowy.

Traffic doesn't bother me. Just adapt to the situation to work in your favour.

Given what I know about some incredible bucks taken ;) your comment on the Cathedrals is out to lunch. Its well worth it when you've got a couple small areas outside the core area thats closed to hunting that harbour mule deer ;).....its a good hike to get in there and I even doubt a fella like you would even bother trying to go in there given your posting history on hunts. :-D

Husky7mm
03-09-2011, 02:51 PM
So you think theyre still in the general area then. Frenchbar do you find a big difference once the velvet is gone. Based on your pics you must hunt on sept 1 in reg 3. Do you change up your tactics or even where your hunting by the 10th or so? Thanks

troutseeker
03-09-2011, 03:46 PM

Given what I know about some incredible bucks taken ;) your comment on the Cathedrals is out to lunch. Its well worth it when you've got a couple small areas outside the core area thats closed to hunting that harbour mule deer ;).....its a good hike to get in there and I even doubt a fella like you would even bother trying to go in there given your posting history on hunts. :-D

I've hiked in there and seen lot's of deer as well as a good many goats. Long hikes, steep climbs, not for the faint of heart...:)

dino
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey Everyone, I was just wondering if I could get some advice for hunting Mule Deer in the Alpine. I know there are many seasoned and very knowledgeable hunters on HBC, and this topic, so I'm pretty lucky for that. I have never hunted the high country before, but it looks like something that is very addicting and an amazing experience. NO SPOTS NEEDED JUST INFORMATION ON THE PROCESS and important factors. Thanks alot. Don
Some good alpine above the dunster area, Its an area thats known to produce.

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 03:55 PM
So you think theyre still in the general area then. Frenchbar do you find a big difference once the velvet is gone. Based on your pics you must hunt on sept 1 in reg 3. Do you change up your tactics or even where your hunting by the 10th or so? Thanks

Weather is usually the deciding factors of how i hunt them..early sept Decent weather i hunt them up as high as i can get ..crappier weather and later in sept i hit the sub alpine and lower elevation areas at 4500 feet or their abouts ..i like to call them staging areas where they will hang around useually for a couple weeks before they migrate towards their wintering areas .

horshur
03-09-2011, 04:02 PM

greg have you hunted this country at all?

south slope is where the university cabins are and the main trail to access snowy from the ashnola.

GoatGuy
03-09-2011, 04:10 PM

Depends on the weather, they move up and down slope all fall. Sometimes the critters are midslope in Sept and they're all hanging out high in October. Depends on where you hunt, what the weather/food is like and how far they migrate. Some of the spots they'll pull the chute in October and won't be back til the next year. Other spots they bounce up and down all year depending on food and snow.

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Depends on the weather, they move up and down slope all fall. Sometimes the critters are midslope in Sept and they're all hanging out high in October. Depends on where you hunt, what the weather/food is like and how far they migrate. Some of the spots they'll pull the chute in October and won't be back til the next year. Other spots they bounce up and down all year depending on food and snow.

what he said ...in a nutshell:mrgreen:

BCrams
03-09-2011, 04:13 PM
greg have you hunted this country at all?

south slope is where the university cabins are and the main trail to access snowy from the ashnola.

Nope! Spent a grand total of 2 days in there around Crater one spring. Pile of deer sheds / sheep in there.

Fella was asking places to hunt close to lower mainland so I asked myself 'where would I go' if I were in his shoes! Quite aware of the park trail maps highlighting access to the areas.

Heard of a few nice bucks (including book) coming out of that country in the alpine in a couple spots which is why I would hit that area if I lived in Vancouver.

Saw nice bucks in the Cascades hiking in the summer a couple times.

BCrams
03-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Some good alpine above the dunster area, Its an area thats known to produce.

Fly at it dino :rolleyes:

dino
03-09-2011, 04:52 PM

Nice try! Almost all my posts of pics or vids are alpine deer kills on backpack alpine hunts. I posted three this year. Just cause you and your other superhero hunting buds out the clearwater way think no one is as good or smart as you doesnt mean that is true. Ive been into the cathedrals years ago and saw very little. I think its you that I doubt has the balls to go in there.

BCrams
03-09-2011, 05:16 PM
I've hiked in there and seen lot's of deer as well as a good many goats. Long hikes, steep climbs, not for the faint of heart...:)

Dino - you missed troutseekers post. I know of some big record class bucks coming from down there by some hunters who obviously worked for them.

Nice try! Almost all my posts of pics or vids are alpine deer kills on backpack alpine hunts. I posted three this year. Just cause you and your other superhero hunting buds out the clearwater way think no one is as good or smart as you doesnt mean that is true. Ive been into the cathedrals years ago and saw very little. I think its you that I doubt has the balls to go in there.

You're getting your panties all in a twist here. Don't know when or if I have ever said I was smarter or better than anyone else. Lots of good deer hunters and good hunters out there! Disagreeing with another doesn't mean anything.

You and another good deer hunter can go into a basin to glass with the deal you don't say anything to the other what you see. You might come out with the perception there's very little, yet the other might have the perception there's some dandy bucks in there because he could very well have the ability to spot more than you or see the lone cranker you missed. Happens all the time.

BCrams
03-09-2011, 05:45 PM

I think you should also take a very serious look at Anderson Lake area. Not a bad haul from the lower mainland.

Half way up the lake along the north side is a great looking valley by the Telford Bridge (turn off on an old road a couple miles before that) .. couple sweet looking basins not too far up the valley!

Another are those basins above Duffey Lake (backside) with relatively new access that are well worth the effort. I've posted up this info in the past. Barkley Valley would be my choice and there's a fantastic trail into this valley!! The access road follows the Haylmore North FSR, and you park at 50o 29' 4.3" N, 122o 22' 25.1" W . A great spot to base out of for alpine mule deer in every direction from this valley.

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~ianc/Haylmore/DSCN6351e.JPG

I would probably personally choose these areas over Cathedral / Snowy.

slyfox
03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
No deer around duffy just goat,s and grizzly,s :)

slyfox
03-09-2011, 05:51 PM
One of the biggest deer i ever saw was up above duffy lake goat hunting some awesome alpine up there and some big grizzlys.

dino
03-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Rams No panties in a not. My skin is to thick for that but when you make claims about how I wouldnt go into a place like the cath mtns I cant help but correct you. And your comment about Crater mtn isnt a place I go to much because of the easy access and traffic. I know why you made that comment, like its my secret spot or something when it certainly isnt. Its a well known area that holds some good muleys, just like Dunster where you and your buds go sometimes.

BCrams
03-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Rams No panties in a not. My skin is to thick for that but when you make claims about how I wouldnt go into a place like the cath mtns I cant help but correct you. And your comment about Crater mtn isnt a place I go to much because of the easy access and traffic. I know why you made that comment, like its my secret spot or something when it certainly isnt. Its a well known area that holds some good muleys, just like Dunster where you and your buds go sometimes.

I wouldn't bother with Crater myself. To easy to access versus hiking 20 km into Cathedral.

Havn't hunted Dunster for ~5, 6 years. :confused:

That said, the area posted above would be great for guys like Don Abbot and others to get an intro to alpine mule deer hunting in a great setting.

The trail into Barkely is easy and you're in the alpine out of the trees within an 1hour and a bit hiking from the trail head. Lots of great basins to whip into if you need to get away from the odd person or two.

Can't beat the scenery like this:

http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/4700428.jpg

dino
03-09-2011, 06:27 PM
the area Bc rams has a pic of is atv accessable, remember that.Ive been there to hunt and sled. You can also see the old homestead there and other hunters.
Here is a google earth photo of that exact spot and where it is. This pic has been in my photobucket account for a couple of years now and can be accessed easily. The other pic of google earth is of a place I was headed to but never materialised just north of Darcy.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/googlemapbarkly.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/googleconnelcreek.jpg

BCrams
03-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Tough choice eh Dino.

Dunster or the areas you posted above ;)

I figured the way you kept on pushing Dunster, that I would do the same about areas you've hunted.

Doesn't bother me if guys want to try hunting Dunster. Took 1 nice muley after hunting it hard for a few years and figuring things out. You're pretty much limited to alpine anyways because the valley bottom is all private!

At least hunters know the D'arcy areas are all crown land.

I've known about that country since 1997 when an instructor at school gave me one of his maps highlighting that area and Duffy area as a place for good mule deer hunting.

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 07:01 PM
One of the biggest deer i ever saw was up above duffy lake goat hunting some awesome alpine up there and some big grizzlys. like these ones

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/grizzlys2.jpg

dana
03-09-2011, 08:17 PM
The thing about BC alpine is there is a ton of it and yet very very few hunters actually hunt muleys in it. I've yet to encounter an area that I would say was crawling with hunters. Seeing a couple other hunters in some highcountry doesn't mean that everyone and their dog hunts it. Even if there are several groups in an area, it is pretty easy to use those hunters to your advantage. If they are hiking basins. Sit on your ass and glass up the deer that they kick up without even knowing it. If you have done your homework with your preseason scouting, you'll be ahead of the others because you know the exact basin to be watching come opening morning. And don't be caught up in this idea that you need to be 20 kms back before the hunting gets good. Lots of easy access alpine in this province that still never sees another hunter. I'm talking easy daytrip alpine. Park the truck an hour before light, climb to the top in less than an hour and you are ready to go. Glassin at first light.

As for the question about seeing the bucks in the summer but not seeing them come Sept 10th, in many areas it depends on the feed that the bucks are eating. In those lush alpine veg areas, frost can be your deciding factor. Frost hits and that veg dies off. The bucks then drop a tad in elevation to the timber edge where the veg has been protected from frost by the canopy of the timber. In other areas there is a significant amount of ground birch which is the primary target of bucks. The frost isn't as big of a factor in these areas. Another difference in summer patterns versus early fall patterns is the bucks don't need to be as high to avoid the bugs. Many bucks bed really high in the rocks to find the wind and thus be free of the nasty bugs that love those blood filled velvet antlers. By Sept, those bugs have died off and with the velvet rubbed, they aren't bothered to hit the windy perches like they were in the summer. Patterns change and you need to be willing to put the time in to figure out those changes. Most of the time, if you don't have a $hitload of snow, the bucks will still be in the same basins as they were in the summer, they will just be hanging near scub timber. Glass till your eyes hurt and then glass some more. You'll find those bucks, just takes some time. Remember the summer red coats stick out like sore thumbs but the fall grey coats blend in very very well in the highcountry.

BlacktailStalker
03-09-2011, 08:32 PM
Anybody have a pic of that ground birch they like to eat so much ?
None of that over here...

leadpillproductions
03-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Sure wish we could hunt the alpine here little to much snow in nov

Alpine Addict
03-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Do some scouting and find your own little honey hole, and you'll have a place to brag about all winter!

http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/Hunting021.jpg
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/Picture263.jpg
http://i526.photobucket.com/albums/cc350/Alpine_Addict/Picture257.jpg

Alpine Addict
03-09-2011, 09:36 PM
Drive up the Coq this spring/summer. Despite what some people say there is deer. And some big ones too. Last May when bear hunting up the coq I saw a few bucks in the alpine around 6500 ft.

Don_Abbate
03-09-2011, 09:38 PM
great info dana thanks, thank you all, nice pics alpine addict

dana
03-09-2011, 10:01 PM
A Alpine muley my son took in 08 using the spot and stalk method..from the time we spotted him and stalked in and took him was about 1 hr.lots of belly crawlin !
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x158/05muleycrazy/P9100134.jpg

For those wondering about ground birch, plenty of it in this pic Frenchbar posted up.

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 10:12 PM
That groundbirch... willow scrub as i like to call it is also a bitch to walk through:mrgreen:

MattB
03-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Are you guys actually referring to the arctic birch as seen in this photo? At least i always thought it was arctic birch...http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v615/matthew_brown69/goldenboy.jpg

frenchbar
03-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Thats the stuff matt..not realy sure what the correct name for it is ...at least you got long legs when your climbing through it..some of that shit is fairly tall..:mrgreen:

BCrams
03-09-2011, 10:30 PM
Sheep like that stuff too but I call it scrub birch. :)

dana
03-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Matt,
I've always known that as ground birch but I didn't go to college to learn mass amounts of Latin plant names. I'll have to dig out my Plants of Northern BC book and see what they call it in there. ;)

Whonnock Boy
03-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Is this it?

http://www.flora.dempstercountry.org/0.Site.Folder/Species.Program/Species.php?species_id=Salix.glauca

Don_Abbate
03-09-2011, 10:51 PM
lol this is hilarious, we have several botanists at hbc

dana
03-09-2011, 10:53 PM
Sheep like that stuff too but I call it scrub birch. :)

Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! In the Plants of Southern Interior British Columbia they call it scrub birch.

Whonnock Boy
03-09-2011, 10:59 PM
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner! In the Plants of Southern Interior British Columbia they call it scrub birch.

I found that one as well. The leaves do not seem to match. Just saying. :confused:

Are you talking the lower left of the photo? That looks the same.

http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/Atlas/Atlas.aspx?sciname=Betula%20nana

BCrams
03-09-2011, 11:00 PM
Always did like plants class lol. Rams we took were loading up on this plant down low.

From the Electronic atlas site regarding plants of northern BC and BC.

http://linnet.geog.ubc.ca/Atlas/Atlas.aspx?sciname=Betula%20nana

Alpine Addict
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM
I've only heard 4 letter words for it..

Gateholio
03-10-2011, 01:18 AM
the area Bc rams has a pic of is atv accessable, remember that.Ive been there to hunt and sled. You can also see the old homestead there and other hunters.
Here is a google earth photo of that exact spot and where it is. This pic has been in my photobucket account for a couple of years now and can be accessed easily. The other pic of google earth is of a place I was headed to but never materialised just north of Darcy.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/googlemapbarkly.jpg
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/googleconnelcreek.jpg

haven't been up there since last spring, but the last news I have of that area is the road has completely slid out and/or buried under a rockslide at the 10Km or so mark.

The last logging up there was up pretty high and that was done a couple of years ago, and no plans for further logging in the near future, so no real desire to open the road up again.

This could change, but prospective hunters should be aware that they may have to walk 20 km up a road to get to the alpine.

Husky7mm
03-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Anything else, north south east west? Does water matter? Distance to winter range or how many passes have to be crossed. If access is close should you bother? etc....

dana
03-21-2011, 05:27 PM
You'll find a lot of the American highcountry mule deer books say to focus on the Northfaces where the bucks can stay cool all summer. It is my experience that that this doesn't ring so true in BC. Even in hot summers, the highcountry in BC can be downright cold. Seems the bucks here don't avoid the sun as much. They actually seek it out and can be seen bedded in sunbeams instead of shade.
As for length to the winter range, yup that plays a roll in how long the bucks stay high. If they have to travel a long ways crossing several passes, they will bail out of the highcountry a lot sooner than bucks that just have to go straight downhill.

Don_Abbate
03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
sounds interesting cant wait to get out in the field this summer and apply these tips

.308win
03-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Are you guys actually referring to the arctic birch as seen in this photo? At least i always thought it was arctic birch...

Matt,
I've always known that as ground birch but I didn't go to college to learn mass amounts of Latin plant names. I'll have to dig out my Plants of Northern BC book and see what they call it in there. ;)

OK Guys!!.........With your line of work......I thought you would have known better!!!!.........For God-sakes.....its easy to see thats it's actually....."TUCKAMORE"!!!.....come on guys!!:wink::mrgreen:

Perry

Husky7mm
04-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Have you seen bucks leave the high country before the does? How do you tell the difference between a migration trail and a trail that is used to more or less travel from bed to feed/water?

grizzlydueck
04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
The secret to hunting high country bucks -hike to a none quad accesable mountain top that you can glass from=less pressure -camp there for several days with a quality spotting scope and watch from first light to last light - a spot where you can see many good drainages -in a known muledeer area- look for round mountain tops =more minerials in the food = bigger racks-sharper tops = less min-another place to look for is a burn - pattern their movement-and ask your self why the animals do certain things -why are they avoiding the sun=why are they using those travel ways-to bedding- etc -think food -water -when they loose there velvet=they still live in the same core area -then once spotted find the safest way up there for your spot and stalk-and remember spend your time glassing in july and aug when the bucks are in there red summer coats =their way easier to see! Oh ! and if you guys ............... quit smoking that could help too

dana
04-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Have you seen bucks leave the high country before the does? How do you tell the difference between a migration trail and a trail that is used to more or less travel from bed to feed/water?

For the most part, does are attracted to different summer habitat than bucks. Why? They need different feed as they are nursing. Bucks choose feed that is good for antler growth. So with this in mind, does ain't common above treeline. Sure you'll see the odd yearling doe that followed twin brother up the mountain when he hooked up with a batchelor group. When you do see does is when they are migrating and they have to travel some mountain passes to get from the summer range to the winter range. This is where the migration trails are deep and look like cattle trails or horse trails.

GoatGuy
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
For the most part, does are attracted to different summer habitat than bucks. Why? They need different feed as they are nursing. Bucks choose feed that is good for antler growth. So with this in mind, does ain't common above treeline. Sure you'll see the odd yearling doe that followed twin brother up the mountain when he hooked up with a batchelor group. When you do see does is when they are migrating and they have to travel some mountain passes to get from the summer range to the winter range. This is where the migration trails are deep and look like cattle trails or horse trails.

Depends on the area. Some areas have groups of does until October and some of the spots even have wt does in them now. Granted they are almost always separated 'on the mountain' does do live in the high country in some areas.

One other note is not to confuse mule deer migration trails with mountain goat lick trails. Some of the goat trails are 3-4 ft wide and cover several miles through the timber. One spot I can think of where the mule migration trail is about a mile north of the goat trail and it would be really easy to confuse the two.

dana
04-04-2011, 08:40 PM
GG,
That is why I said "For the most part". I have too seen doe groups in the highcountry, but that isn't normal summer habitat for does.

dino
04-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Ive seen does up high lots of times. Some years its 50/50 but most its about 85% bucks. The one area I go always has does but mostly bucks. The bucks tend to be in the rocks or just below where the vegetation ends. I never see any does with any fawns, I never thought of why that was but what Dana is saying maybe the reason.

Husky7mm
04-06-2011, 12:00 PM
The secret to hunting high country bucks -hike to a none quad accesable mountain top that you can glass from=less pressure -camp there for several days with a quality spotting scope and watch from first light to last light - a spot where you can see many good drainages -in a known muledeer area- look for round mountain tops =more minerials in the food = bigger racks-sharper tops = less min-another place to look for is a burn - pattern their movement-and ask your self why the animals do certain things -why are they avoiding the sun=why are they using those travel ways-to bedding- etc -think food -water -when they loose there velvet=they still live in the same core area -then once spotted find the safest way up there for your spot and stalk-and remember spend your time glassing in july and aug when the bucks are in there red summer coats =their way easier to see! Oh ! and if you guys ............... quit smoking that could help too
Ive tried it all and read every book on it I can find. I'm looking for a little more, I want to know all I can and more. It seem like theres a big gap in between early sept and late october, and I want to be able to hunt all of it. I'd like to see a 160 mule deer during open season and be able to pass it up for something better. All my big mulie sighting are right before the season and right after:???: and beleive me I have wore out some boots and glassed till my eyes have just about fallen out.

rattling_junkie
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Ive tried it all and read every book on it I can find. I'm looking for a little more, I want to know all I can and more. It seem like theres a big gap in between early sept and late october, and I want to be able to hunt all of it. I'd like to see a 160 mule deer during open season and be able to pass it up for something better. All my big mulie sighting are right before the season and right after:???: and beleive me I have wore out some boots and glassed till my eyes have just about fallen out.

From my experience the best hunters hunt smarter not harder. I used to be the same way I wanted to hunt every moment I had. I soon took notice of when the accomplished guys went out and I followed suit. This resulted in more productive time and I didn't burn out my best spots.

I live and hunt in Manitoba so the hunting is different but I believe the ideology to be the same. For example, I will hunt opening week for velvet whitetails which is the last week of August and possibly into the second week. I will then lay low and wait until the last week of October before I hunt my prime spots. In the meantime I try and fill a doe tag or two until then. Or even hunt elk or moose during that time. I would imagine you could do the same thing in BC.

Another observation, if you have not shot a 160 " mule deer why would you pass it up? My advice would be to shoot some of those 160" bucks and then hold out for goliath. Hope this helps.

Weatherby Fan
04-06-2011, 01:54 PM

I hear what your saying and I have come across some of the same things since they implemented the Archery/youth season Sept 1-9th,would be up scouting and seeing lots of bucks, show up on the Sept 9th and hunt for a few days and not a deer in sight,but have found several arrows arrows in the area I hunt in the last 5 years,
I have had to try a few different areas and move a little further off the beaten path as there was more pressure than I thought due to the earlier openings-not sure if this is the case in your area.

Also I have found the area we hunt mule deer in the Alpine in early Sept are gone by the first part of October or when there is any amount of snow in late Sept,October seems to be a transitional month and is hard to pin them down depending on how far the deer have to migrate for rut and wintering grounds ,other areas of Alpine I have found bucks right into November/Decemeber so go figure,sometimes just no ryme or reason to their process.
Depends on the amount of snow and feed I'm guessing and if they have does within a reasonable distance.Maybe Dana could add to this as to why ?
Also key in on the rut as it can be very productive.

Don't get discouraged,just try some more Alpine as there is piles of it in BC

Husky7mm
04-07-2011, 11:29 AM
True, not all alpine contains mule deer though, some alpine is father away than deer need to migrate to fine quality feed. Other areas contan mostly a feed that nothing eats. I think its called moose grass, it stays green yr round and nothing seem to touch it, seem to be alot of it in the purcels.

Squire
04-07-2011, 01:12 PM
True, not all alpine contains mule deer though, some alpine is father away than deer need to migrate to fine quality feed. Other areas contan mostly a feed that nothing eats. I think its called moose grass, it stays green yr round and nothing seem to touch it, seem to be alot of it in the purcels.

Could you be talking about Heather? It has small pinkish to purple flowers when it blooms (usually before hunting season) and has fronds that resemble Cedar. It can completely cover the ground at a height of 6"-12'' in some high country and I have never seen evidence of it being grazed. I originally thought that where it grew had something to do with the aspect (South or North facing) but I can think of a couple of areas where it covers one small hanging valley on both sides while in the next drainage over it is only on one side and grasses cover much of the other. In my experience deer will only pass through these areas and you need to key in on areas with grasses and other forbs that deer will eat.

gwillim
04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Maybe he means bear grass (Xerophyllum tenax)? Plentiful in the southern purcells and selkirk mountains.

leadpillproductions
07-27-2013, 12:40 PM
Figured id bump this thread its a good one

Hunt-4-Life
07-28-2013, 06:36 PM
Just read through it all, very good read. Planning on an alpine mulie hunt myself this sept.

hookedonblacktails
07-29-2013, 08:58 AM
Ok I've got a question for you guys if anyone is still keeping an eye on this thread. We're going in mid-late september to around 6000ft in pemberton area and I'm torn on how to handle the meat if we get animal. I've been to this area before and I expect it to be quite cold at night, freezing if it's clear skys but probably around 20 during the day if it is sunny. One part of me is saying to skin and debone right away to cool the meat as quick as possible, another part is saying to just quarter but not skin that way the meat could stay colder during the day after cooling at night if we want to hang around for a couple more days for us to try for a second animal. If we took an animal in the morning and didn't skin and it was warm during the day will it start to spoil by the time the evening rolls around. The deer I've taken have all been close to home so cooling was not a problem, I've never been faced with this scenario before. Sure would appreciate some advise on this one.
thanks

leadpillproductions
07-29-2013, 10:06 PM
For me I get the bone and hide off a soon as I can.

Hunt-4-Life
07-30-2013, 12:54 PM
When it's freezing at night and fairly warm during the day, we've always skinned, bagged and hung our moose in pieces in a breezy shady place. never has to do this with a deer but I would do it the same I think. Or, this year deer hunting I'm gonna try to find a patch of old snow, dig a freezer, line it with a clean new tarp and cover it with a mat of spruce branches for shade.

bigbuckbuster
07-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Ok I've got a question for you guys if anyone is still keeping an eye on this thread. We're going in mid-late september to around 6000ft in pemberton area and I'm torn on how to handle the meat if we get animal. I've been to this area before and I expect it to be quite cold at night, freezing if it's clear skys but probably around 20 during the day if it is sunny. One part of me is saying to skin and debone right away to cool the meat as quick as possible, another part is saying to just quarter but not skin that way the meat could stay colder during the day after cooling at night if we want to hang around for a couple more days for us to try for a second animal. If we took an animal in the morning and didn't skin and it was warm during the day will it start to spoil by the time the evening rolls around. The deer I've taken have all been close to home so cooling was not a problem, I've never been faced with this scenario before. Sure would appreciate some advise on this one.
thanks
Ya gotta get the hide off asap. I hunt hot weather every year and have been pretty lucky. We gut and skin the animal as soon as it hits the ground, spray it down with white vinegar and water with a squirt bottle and hang it HIGH. This method seems to work for us but I am far from an expert.

Weatherby Fan
07-30-2013, 03:15 PM
If were hunting a few days (Sept 10-15) in the alpine we would skin it, quarter it, cheese cloth it and hang the quarters in a tree that has shade and wind if possible and have never lost a deer,this is at 6000ft of elevation and daytime could be 25 deg but frost or freezing at night.

hookedonblacktails
07-30-2013, 06:59 PM
How about wrapping the hanging quarters with the saved hide during the day to keep the nighttime cold in and heat out? Or is that just starting to get silly and am I getting paranoid about nothing. Thought I read somewhere here about someone wrapping hanging meat with one of those emergency blankets during the day.

Chuck Norris
07-31-2013, 06:44 AM
How about wrapping the hanging quarters with the saved hide during the day to keep the nighttime cold in and heat out? Or is that just starting to get silly and am I getting paranoid about nothing. Thought I read somewhere here about someone wrapping hanging meat with one of those emergency blankets during the day.

What we do is quarter the animal, hide off, and start to cool it right away (you should be quartering it anyways to get this alpine muley out of the back country!). Start by laying the quarters out on rocks, hang from trees etc while you are processing the animal. This will let the residual heat in the meat start to come out. Then on comes the cheesecloth for packing the animal back to camp (which breathes very, very well). Once back at camp hang each quarter separately, making sure that they are not touching anywhere (use a meat pole, branches etc.) Hang the meat in a place that will get shade all day if possible, or figure out a way to make shade. Worse comes to worse I have buried meat in the snow, and sunk it in a creek to keep cold, but my go-to is just straight up hanging in the shade in cheesecloth. We have hung countless elk in September (sometimes 20+ during the day) this way for close to a week at times and have never had anything spoil. Our only issues are blow flies and the odd bear strolling around camp. The only animal I've ever had bone sour was a mule deer late season when the temperatures dropped close to -30C. I think the outside of the deer froze so quick that the heat around the bone wasn't able to escape...

dana
07-31-2013, 03:30 PM
The heat is in the bone. Debone the meat ASAP and you won't have issues with souring. It also cools faster if it in smaller chunks, not full quarters. Air cool at night and shade during the day all within game bags and you are normally good for several days. I've had snow in the high country on opening day more times that I've had hot weather.

Merch
07-31-2013, 05:44 PM
I was in that general area last year on opening day, it was an easy -5 at night and didn't warm up too much during the day. Do as others have said and you'll be ok. If it comes down to it, just pack out early. Your better off having good meat from one buck than risking it for the chance at a shooting second.

Rattler
07-31-2013, 06:19 PM
If were hunting a few days (Sept 10-15) in the alpine we would skin it, quarter it, cheese cloth it and hang the quarters in a tree that has shade and wind if possible and have never lost a deer,this is at 6000ft of elevation and daytime could be 25 deg but frost or freezing at night.

Highly recommend you don't use cheese cloth - flies blow right through it. Invest in some good meat bags or use pillow cases. Also like Dana suggests de-bone asap and you should be fine for a few days.

cyalatte
08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
After reading all this good information about alpine mule deer hunting, one thing I am curious about is how hunters approach the mid day hours in the early season (say first or second week of Sept). During the heat of the day, do you just hunker down and glass or do you move around and check out the transition areas between the timber and alpine? Do you find the bucks usually making predictable movements during this time?...like sleeping? :mrgreen:

blackbart
08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Take a nap. Getting up for first light and staying out till last light will wear you out after a few days. Siesta is your friend.

dana
08-05-2013, 09:02 PM
Yup, naps are your friend. It's a long day from light till dark with the first 2 hours and the last 2 hours being your most productive glassing timeframe.

bosca
08-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I am also novice with the alpine hunt but can give a couple words based on my limited experience:
Make as many trips as possible early into the area you choose...where is the water? where is the best camp local? where are the deer:-)
For us surfase water was an issue...we took note of the last source of water and packed in as far as possible then filtered and filled up at the last possible point and packed the extra weight for the last couple k climb.
Boil water a few minutes longer than you would normally...boiling point is diferent at altitude...luke warm dehydrated meals nots tasty especially when there is rice...
IMO meat should come off the bone. I got some good advise here to pack the deboned meat into game bags in smallish chunks that will cool easily...twist the bag inbetween chunks like your making sausage...use string or twine to tie off, hang in a shady cool spot and this will make the pack out a little less 'messy'.

HarryToolips
08-05-2013, 10:36 PM
I am also novice with the alpine hunt but can give a couple words based on my limited experience:
Make as many trips as possible early into the area you choose...where is the water? where is the best camp local? where are the deer:-)
For us surfase water was an issue...we took note of the last source of water and packed in as far as possible then filtered and filled up at the last possible point and packed the extra weight for the last couple k climb.
Boil water a few minutes longer than you would normally...boiling point is diferent at altitude...luke warm dehydrated meals nots tasty especially when there is rice...
IMO meat should come off the bone. I got some good advise here to pack the deboned meat into game bags in smallish chunks that will cool easily...twist the bag inbetween chunks like your making sausage...use string or twine to tie off, hang in a shady cool spot and this will make the pack out a little less 'messy'.
Right on man all makes sense..I really like the 'sausage' idea..

Weatherby Fan
08-05-2013, 10:38 PM
Highly recommend you don't use cheese cloth - flies blow right through it. Invest in some good meat bags or use pillow cases. Also like Dana suggests de-bone asap and you should be fine for a few days.

Been doing that for just about 30yrs now and never had a problem, and yes have been deboning our deer for a few years now, no sense packing all that extra weight.
WF

elksmasher
08-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Don't skyline yourself big bucks got eyes like a hawk,they'll be in the fire weed in your part of the province when the season opens.

Ghillie
10-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Muley Bucks don't open in my area until Nov. 1st. I want to try hunting the high country from them to get away from the rest of the hunters. Is it practical this time of year to be searching the sub-alpine for 4 pnt bucks?

leadpillproductions
10-31-2013, 07:48 PM
Muley Bucks don't open in my area until Nov. 1st. I want to try hunting the high country from them to get away from the rest of the hunters. Is it practical this time of year to be searching the sub-alpine for 4 pnt bucks?lol im in the same boat as you. wished it opened up earlier

Ghillie
10-31-2013, 08:39 PM
I see you're from Chetwynd too lol. Gonna head up a couple alpine spots I've had in mind for awhile. There should be snow so I'll be able to tell if there are any deer around.

leadpillproductions
10-31-2013, 09:03 PM
I see you're from Chetwynd too lol. Gonna head up a couple alpine spots I've had in mind for awhile. There should be snow so I'll be able to tell if there are any deer around.Sounds good , ive been looking at a decent spot from work everyday got to be deer up there

grizzlydueck
11-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Rattler and Dana are right on the money debone and pillow cases! Never cheese cloth flies eggs go right through it.

ianm
09-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Bump for an awesome thread with tons of fantastic info. Excellent read!

Bistchen
09-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Keyword : Hanging valleys

Dont bother with the big main open valley.

High hidden basins, bowls and of course higher up hanging valleys are where to find em
The real big bucks like to hang out and bed in the trees and vegitation between avalanche shutes on steep slopes. This is especially true with mountain blacktails.

There is no better hunt than an alpine hunt in my opinion.

swampthing
09-20-2014, 08:27 AM

High hidden basins, bowls and of course higher up hanging valleys are where to find em
The real big bucks like to hang out and bed in the trees and vegitation between avalanche shutes on steep slopes. This is especially true with mountain blacktails.

Dammed straight about the alpine hunt.

Lastcar
09-20-2014, 09:47 AM
For anyone looking at hunting muleys above timerline for the first time I would recommend they pick up one of two books, Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Mike Eastman or Hunting Public Land Muleys by David Long. Mikes book was out of print for a while but I heard they reprinted it recently. These books aren't rocket science for guys that have been doing it for a long time, but they are for guys who have never hunted the highcountry before.

Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Eastman is available on Kindle from Amazon as well. So if finding the print version is tough, the Kindle version is $8 and you can read it on a computer if you dont have a Kindle or tablet. No ideal for the eyes but reading it on a computer is better than not reading it. Just finishing it up myself.

bowmagnum
09-21-2014, 10:10 AM
I saw my first alpine bucks ever last week. Amazing sight watching a huge bodied old deer make his way across slides through scrub timber pushing the younger buck and does ahead of him. Couldnt see them bed as they went around a mountain side and out of sight. I got busted at 200 yrds. The does were feeding but the bucks were bedded under trees with limbs hanging to the ground and they were watching their back trail. My advice is to do what you have to do to see them bed. Without knowing where they bed, they have a huge advantage. Live and learn try somewhere else tomorrow.

killer_shot
09-22-2014, 02:25 AM

Most def good advice.
I think it has a lot to do with timing and the moon/heat.
Early season the only time I've seen muleys on the move in the alpine is at first light. Find where they are feeding and get back there first light pretty good chance they still be feeding. Days when they are long and its warm I've walked all day seen a zillion signs but not a spot of a deer all day. I personally find the crappier the weather the better the chances of seeing some moving.
Later in the season around thanks giving with beautiful weather I've watched mule deer feed all day long in steep slides with no snow but up high as trees are still dense.
If your going to pemby area and hunting south of region 3 i.e. south of birkenhead the hybrid deer migrate from the upper lillooet along the south facing slopes and i see them in super rocky steep terrain lots.
If your north of there look for natural funnels that they will be passing through as the season starts to change and they begin their migration.
One thing I've learned about mule deer is they are not creatures of habit and as soon as i think I've got a good hold on what they are doing and why, something happens to remind me they are animals and don't have rules.
I know of people that wait until there is 2-3 feet of snow to hunt alpine mule deer as the big ins that apparently don't rut anymore will stay in the alpine as long as they can. Can't confirm that as I've never been up there to see my self and believe thats more common in the east koots.
Think the best rule is find strong signs glass till your eyes fall out, no signs keep moving till you do.

adamgarbett
08-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Bump this one as it is getting to be that time of year again ������������

dino
08-21-2015, 08:37 PM
no alpine opener hunt for me this season, I cant believe I just said that.

Husky7mm
08-21-2015, 08:45 PM

True that!! My heart aches for the high country everyday. Cant wait to be there again!

Rayne
07-17-2016, 09:05 PM
Bump this to the top getting excited for my first alpine hunt this year. Hopefully find some decent spots in 3-16 for my doe in November maybe even a nice 4 point

Carrollizer
07-17-2016, 10:23 PM
I agree! Tons of great info!
posting to bookmark

UncleJesse
08-18-2017, 08:11 AM
Just read through this thread - great advice. My son and I are going on our first alpine backpacking hunt for his Sept 1st Youth hunt. He gets to use a rifle and I'll just be on bear watch. A gun shot is a dinner bell for grizz here. Further, any advice for being able to sleep well while in grizz country? I'm thinking the usual earplugs could prove to be a darwin move.

Husky7mm
08-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Bump this to the top getting excited for my first alpine hunt this year. Hopefully find some decent spots in 3-16 for my doe in November maybe even a nice 4 point
Good chance they have migrated by nov.

Numenor604
08-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Hey guys , I am planning to get out on my first Alpine hike this September and I cannot wait . Thanks for all the great advice you have shared so far. I Envy your wisdom and knowledge. Planning to get out near Darcy as recommended by some of the folk in this forum. I'm a North Van guy so it shouldn't be too bad of a haul.. Good luck to everyone this season!

ACE
08-18-2017, 02:51 PM
It's easy to 'stink-up' a basin .... be careful, try not to move into it unless you've picked out your game animal.
As mentioned above ....... glass till your eyes fall out.
The real big bucks will stay up in deeper snow ....
Have fun ...... early season alpine is a great place ..... just to be there!

SWD
08-19-2017, 12:59 PM
How about Alpine sitka blacktails ?

Weatherby Fan
08-19-2017, 01:11 PM
At first light I try to sit on the east side of south facing alpine bowls in early September that way as the sun comes up your glassing with it at your back, as ACE says above don't polute the area your hunting and try to keep your movements to a minimum at first and last light, never skyline yourself and watch your thermals and all will be good.

markomoose
08-19-2017, 08:05 PM
Did lots of Alpine muley hunting in my early hunting days.China Head Mtn/Nine Mile Ridge/Hogback Mtn/Yalakom Mtn and Relay Creek.Man that was some good times with lots of deer and lots of Adventures.

DStewart
08-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Great read. Thanks for all the help

Zkcm
10-06-2020, 11:48 AM
Great advice. Thanks to all the people who contributed. Lots of gems in this thread.

Huntingtyler123
10-06-2020, 05:57 PM
Just read through this thread - great advice. My son and I are going on our first alpine backpacking hunt for his Sept 1st Youth hunt. He gets to use a rifle and I'll just be on bear watch. A gun shot is a dinner bell for grizz here. Further, any advice for being able to sleep well while in grizz country? I'm thinking the usual earplugs could prove to be a darwin move.
Sleeping with my rifle or 12 gauge helps me sleep like a baby, no ear plugs. Also sleep with a knife that’s handing incase you have to make your own exit out the back of the tent

GEF
10-07-2020, 09:08 PM
Five rules for alpine mule deer
#1 DON'T STOMP AROUND AND POLLUTE THE AREA ! Resist this at all costs.You don't jump in your favorite fishing hole and then try and fish
#2 know the winds in the area during the day,night with clouds and with out.
#3 camp as far away from the area you plan to hunt as you can walk in the dark to your spotting area and walk the same path .
#4 Spot and pattern from far away ,use a spotting scope.
#5 DON'T POLLUTE THE AREA YOU PLAN TO HUNT!

Rattler
10-07-2020, 09:43 PM
#1 DON'T STOMP AROUND AND POLLUTE THE AREA ! Resist this at all costs.You don't jump in your favorite fishing hole and then try and fish
#3 camp as far away from the area you plan to hunt as you can walk in the dark to your spotting area and walk the same path .

Excellent advice!

Weatherby Fan
10-07-2020, 09:50 PM
When it comes to polluting the area where you plan to hunt, one time my Brother and I were camped at the edge of the Alpine under a Spruce thicket as it had snowed the night before so we got up an hour before daylight ant watched our Fav spot until 9am with a cpl small bucks spotted, around 9:45 am having a bite to eat at our base camp I looked at Leif and said can you smell that ? B.O. strong and stinky,

I said someone’s coming up the hill, we get out from under the trees and sure enough a 100 yards below us two guys hiking up into the Alpine, the point is if I could smell those two guys I’m sure a deer could at four times the distance.
It was also a great example of how the thermals work.

Frank grimes
10-07-2020, 11:04 PM
Exellent advice.

also dawn to dusk, never close your eyes or stop glassing. You never know when that buck of a lifetime will flick his ear and you’ll finally see him.

GEF
10-08-2020, 07:56 AM
There is sparse cover in the alpine and big deer will clear out when they pickup residual sent even a few days old.
I watched a mature buck pick up my tracks from two days prior ,had his nose to the ground crossed my boot tracks and he spooked .He ran a wide berth around my old tracks and I did not see him again.All the lesser deer traveling with him carried on as if nothing had had happened .

twoSevenO
10-08-2020, 10:15 AM
All this advice should be backed up with some pics.

Because there is some good advice and some reall bulls** in here :)

cyalatte
10-08-2020, 10:53 AM

Couldn't agree more. We were the first ones into an alpine location in the Shulaps this year (parking at the trail head). After the first day in, there were no less than 4 other camps with approximately a dozen hunters. As you can well imagine, Rules 1 & 5 went right out the window as we witnessed the pollution taking place...such a shame that people don't show respect when you see multiple vehicles at the trailhead, you might think to yourself "should we really go in here and pollute/ruin this hunt for ourselves and others?" Obviously, no decent bucks were glassed and didn't hear any shots with all the other firesticks around.

REMINGTON JIM
10-08-2020, 11:10 AM
GEF has GOT it WELL figured out ! :smile: RJ

rageous
10-08-2020, 07:16 PM

Boy you got that right! Lol but what do I know!

twoSevenO
10-08-2020, 08:32 PM
Couldn't agree more. We were the first ones into an alpine location in the Shulaps this year (parking at the trail head). After the first day in, there were no less than 4 other camps with approximately a dozen hunters. As you can well imagine, Rules 1 & 5 went right out the window as we witnessed the pollution taking place...such a shame that people don't show respect when you see multiple vehicles at the trailhead, you might think to yourself "should we really go in here and pollute/ruin this hunt for ourselves and others?" Obviously, no decent bucks were glassed and didn't hear any shots with all the other firesticks around.

That area is incredibly busy with hikers and mountain bikers and other recreational users. There is no reason for someone up there to assume it is hunters parked there.

And stinking up an area is a no no, sure ... but not some golden rule that if you break it you should just go home. I have made stalks in on bucks into a basin and failed and retreated back only to watch the same buck be there again the next day.

Its MUCH more important that you dont get seen by these bucks, especially seen creeping in as a predator would, than it is to leave your scent behind. Predators walking through their area is a part of life. If you are hunting truly remote spots these bucks wont even know what a human is or smells like.

It sounds like you are ruling out the possibility that the reason you didn't see anything is that there simply werent any bucks to see.

Not all alpine spots hold deer, no matter how good they look. And those that do are also known to sometimes dry up.

pg83
10-08-2020, 09:28 PM
And stinking up an area is a no no, sure ... but not some golden rule that if you break it you should just go home. I have made stalks in on bucks into a basin and failed and retreated back only to watch the same buck be there again the next day.

I'll echo this. Have killed a buck the day after messing up a stalk on him(got busted by a doe while working towards him, he never knew I was there but peeled out when the doe bolted.).

Weatherby Fan
10-08-2020, 09:46 PM
That area is incredibly busy with hikers and mountain bikers and other recreational users. There is no reason for someone up there to assume it is hunters parked there.

Its MUCH more important that you dont get seen by these bucks, especially seen creeping in as a predator would, than it is to leave your scent behind. Predators walking through their area is a part of life. If you are hunting truly remote spots these bucks wont even know what a human is or smells like.

It sounds like you are ruling out the possibility that the reason you didn't see anything is that there simply werent any bucks to see.

Not all alpine spots hold deer, no matter how good they look. And those that do are also known to sometimes dry up.

I think your probably missing cyalattes point as he did say no DECENT bucks were spotted, he didn't say they didn't see any deer,

You are right I have also seen deer back in the same area of the Alpine I have been in the very next day, but nothing of any size, quite a few years back when I was young fellar I jumped a 140 class buck in the alpine and never got a shot off, I was quite disappointed, I asked some advice from an experienced hunter I knew, he said get back in there as he won't be far, he was right I got back in there a few days later and shot him a cpl hundred yards from where I seen him.

The point GEF is making and him and I have witnessed it many times this year included, watch a 180 class buck for a few days prior to the season only to see him pushed out opening morning and not return by a Young fellow who thought hiking/hunting in the Alpine was an Olympic sport and you need to cover every inch of it to be successful !
That fellow spent several days in an area that held some decent deer and he never seen one deer after opening morning for this very reason.

boilerroom
10-08-2020, 09:59 PM
I can't wait to get into the alpine at some point. Sounds like I need to find a mentor that will let me porter for them and sit and watch how it's done!

REMINGTON JIM
10-08-2020, 10:38 PM

What is the real Bulls** in Here ? RJ

HighCountryBC
10-08-2020, 10:49 PM
I think your probably missing cyalattes point as he did say no DECENT bucks were spotted, he didn't say they didn't see any deer,

You are right I have also seen deer back in the same area of the Alpine I have been in the very next day, but nothing of any size.

The point GEF is making and him and I have witnessed it many times this year included, watch a 180 class buck for a few days prior to the season only to see him pushed out opening morning and not return by a Young fellow who thought hiking/hunting in the Alpine was an Olympic sport and you need to cover every inch of it to be successful !
That fellow spent several days in an area that held some decent deer and he never seen one deer after opening morning for this very reason.

This is sound advice. It's one thing to see a 150" dink back in the same alpine basin you polluted earlier in the trip. It's another to see a mature buck back in there after getting blown out.

Weatherby Fan
10-08-2020, 10:57 PM
This is sound advice. It's one thing to see a 150" dink back in the same alpine basin you polluted earlier in the trip. It's another to see a mature buck back in there after getting blown out.

This is it exactly.

rageous
10-09-2020, 05:51 AM
All this non dink buck talk...mature buck this and that with no pictures from the arm chair hunters....

twoSevenO
10-09-2020, 07:39 AM
All this non dink buck talk...mature buck this and that with no pictures from the arm chair hunters....

The only pics you'll see here is that of fancy hunting gear not used to kill any alpine bucks. Lol.

The armchair hunter specials

dino
10-09-2020, 07:41 AM
If your up top for the opener there is a small chance that a real mature buck is pokeing his nose out. That is why the opener is so important. They go nocturnal real quick. A mature animal will hide in the sub alpine mostly.
Ive posted many pics over the years on this site of alpine bucks taken because i only hunt up high. Another thing to understand is that all alpine is not the same.

Weatherby Fan
10-09-2020, 08:31 AM
If your up top for the opener there is a small chance that a real mature buck is pokeing his nose out. That is why the opener is so important. They go nocturnal real quick. A mature animal will hide in the sub alpine mostly.
Ive posted many pics over the years on this site of alpine bucks taken because i only hunt up high. Another thing to understand is that all alpine is not the same.

I couldn't agree more dino.

rageous
10-09-2020, 11:20 AM
The only pics you'll see here is that of fancy hunting gear not used to kill any alpine bucks. Lol.

LOL...

Come on fellas! Let’s see whatcha got...crack open that vault of big buck pictures for us wannabe big buck hunters

GEF
10-09-2020, 12:15 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8pLI0d0.jpg

GEF
10-09-2020, 12:17 PM
no crankers here just some late season alpine bucks for meathttps://i.imgur.com/jJ31JHu.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/8pLI0d0.jpg

GEF
10-09-2020, 12:31 PM
https://i.imgur.com/WYejG0P.jpg?1
all between 7000 and 5600 feet

rageous
10-09-2020, 01:01 PM
Nice deer pictures there GEF....

I bet most hunters would love to shoot big bucks like that ever year.

locdog_99
10-09-2020, 01:40 PM
Still killing good bucks 👍

GEF
10-09-2020, 02:32 PM
Notice they are all shot late in the season after relentless chasing the elusive 200 inch crankers

rageous
10-09-2020, 04:15 PM
Some years ago I seen a couple guys loading a buck like those ones in the back of a little tracker up out of Pasayten fsr. Might be worth going back in there.

REMINGTON JIM
10-09-2020, 05:02 PM
Some years ago I seen a couple guys loading a buck like those ones in the back of a little tracker up out of Pasayten fsr. Might be worth going back in there.

Isn't that area HUNTED Hard like all the others you say are ! RJ

GEF
10-09-2020, 09:16 PM
LOL now I know you are out to lunch.Nice try. Note the snow !Late season ! Those are big clues if you hunt the southern country.

Arctic Lake
10-09-2020, 10:04 PM
GEF. Those are awesome bucks ! I can only hope , one day !
Arctic Lake

waserwolf
10-10-2020, 05:00 AM
How bout Late Season?
I work Shift Work and am due Home Oct 23.....too late?
I recognize snow could potentially hold one back.

GEF
10-10-2020, 08:08 AM
Depends on the area you hunt .Most of the deer migrate down to wintering areas by that time. You will find the big dear in the alpine/subalpine in close proximity to wintering area fringe timber .Pre rut is a challenge but if there are doe's in the clear cuts the mature bucks are within smelling distance downwind, glass the timberline in the direction of the prevailing winds and the fringe high country.Just my observations over the years.

twoSevenO
10-10-2020, 01:55 PM
Good bucks!!!

Wouldnt really call that true alpine though. Certainly not the one in a cut block.

GEF
10-10-2020, 02:49 PM
Don't see any pictures from you ! 7000 feet not alpine? 5600 sub alpine lets get technical ;)

REMINGTON JIM
10-10-2020, 03:39 PM

You got some Nice Bucks to post up ? :) RJ

HighCountryBC
10-10-2020, 04:22 PM
Don't see any pictures from you ! 7000 feet not alpine? 5600 sub alpine lets get technical ;)

If 7,000ft ain’t alpine, I don’t know what is.

Weatherby Fan
10-10-2020, 04:30 PM
LOL...

Come on fellas! Let’s see whatcha got...crack open that vault of big buck pictures for us wannabe big buck hunters

For a guy who's never made a contribution to this site you sure do a lot of yapping, where are your big buck pictures :-P;)

I see your partner twosevenO has posted up some alpine buck/hunts.....

twoSevenO
10-10-2020, 05:06 PM

Alpine is areas predominantly above the tree line.

Shrubs and patches of smaller trees below the line is subalpine. Anything below that is simply timber.

5600feet with stumps around is just a timber area. It's not subalpine.

Im not saying it to take away from your buck pics. Just that getting technical IS important because certain tips are specifically applicable to alpine and early season hunts.

Pics from me? Click on my profile and search by "threads started". There are plenty.

whitlers
10-10-2020, 05:24 PM
I would hate to say it but I know twoSeven0 has this one down. The guy gets after quality alpine bucks year after year.

Weatherby Fan
10-10-2020, 06:28 PM
Heres a few pictures from our last outing together, Gary has put about 35-40 days in the Alpine already this year, he felt sorry for me so dragged me along for a hike, Im living proof chubby guys can hunt in the Alpine !

this is at 7300 feet
http://i.imgur.com/nOUHwKh.jpg (https://imgur.com/nOUHwKh)

http://i.imgur.com/zyAiMw9.jpg (https://imgur.com/zyAiMw9)

http://i.imgur.com/jPLF7iI.jpg (https://imgur.com/jPLF7iI)

Arctic Lake
10-10-2020, 09:26 PM
Nice pics WF !
Arctic Lake

ekul246
03-28-2022, 11:06 AM
Man the pics of the alpine in this thread just get my adrenaline going! Makes me want to run out there right now!

Wanting to get in to my first alpine deer scouting trip. Perused this thread and there is so much useful information here. Anyone attempted alpine mule deer in 3-16? Couple spots I’m wanting to try but I’m wondering if Nahatlatch FSR is open? The rec sites heading in from Boston Bar are still showing they are closed due to flood damage. Any one know if that is still the case? Is there a time frame for it to be reopened if it is still closed?

I’m considering 3-16 because it isn’t too far from me.

mikeman20
03-31-2022, 01:16 PM
Man the pics of the alpine in this thread just get my adrenaline going! Makes me want to run out there right now!

Wanting to get in to my first alpine deer scouting trip. Perused this thread and there is so much useful information here. Anyone attempted alpine mule deer in 3-16? Couple spots I’m wanting to try but I’m wondering if Nahatlatch FSR is open? The rec sites heading in from Boston Bar are still showing they are closed due to flood damage. Any one know if that is still the case? Is there a time frame for it to be reopened if it is still closed?

I know the 4wdBC guys do nahatlach alot, they would probably be worth talking to on Facebook if you're looking for info

brotherjames
09-20-2022, 11:03 AM
Love this thread thanks guys. I am transplant from region 4 and for the life of me I cannot get on a legal buck. Last year was my 4th year of being skunked. Hopefully not again this year. Fingers crossed!

M1SF1T
09-20-2022, 11:34 AM
Great thread. Thanks for bringing it back.

caddisguy
09-20-2022, 11:52 AM
Great pictures! Love the HBC hat :)

HarryToolips
09-21-2022, 07:11 AM
Love this thread thanks guys. I am transplant from region 4 and for the life of me I cannot get on a legal buck. Last year was my 4th year of being skunked. Hopefully not again this year. Fingers crossed!
Hang in there man, most hunters don't bag one for the first little while...I too love this thread...I learned the most about hunting deer/elk when I didn't hammer something..

HarryToolips
09-21-2022, 07:21 AM
So I had limited scouting in a new area to me due to work and family obligations, and I haven't made it to this spot as of yet because I've been focusing on hunting 6 pt elk up to this point..however, I'm thinking of checking out this spot I found in Aug, plenty of deer sign then, but will they still be there come early Oct? Hard to say...2100-2200 m in elevation, not alpine but some segments are sub alpine, and it had a semi recent burn...

https://i.imgur.com/BabuaUd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/m2rVVTF.jpg

Husky7mm
09-21-2022, 08:24 AM
So I had limited scouting in a new area to me due to work and family obligations, and I haven't made it to this spot as of yet because I've been focusing on hunting 6 pt elk up to this point..however, I'm thinking of checking out this spot I found in Aug, plenty of deer sign then, but will they still be there come early Oct? Hard to say...2100-2200 m in elevation, not alpine but some segments are sub alpine, and it had a semi recent burn...

https://i.imgur.com/BabuaUd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/m2rVVTF.jpg

Oh man that beautiful country! Thanks for posting.

Arctic Lake
09-21-2022, 08:26 AM
^^^^^^^. Sure is ! ^^^^^^^^
Arctic Lake

HarryToolips
09-21-2022, 10:45 AM
You're welcome guys... so, who thinks mule deer will be at that elevation come early Oct? Will that optimal forage back in Aug now lose some of its nutrition due to frost etc, forcing the majority of the bucks to lower elevations?

Livewire322
09-21-2022, 11:46 AM

When I checked last week it wasn’t open.

I spent five days hunting the high alpine in 3-16 at the start of the month. Was lots of wolf sign and very little deer sign. Take from that what you will…

hickman
09-21-2022, 01:31 PM
It all depends on the weather and the area. Some areas have deer move out once the first storm hits and snow sticks. Can be as early as mid September. In my opinion and experience deer still stay in alpine areas until October but closer to their winter range. I have hunted in mid and late October trying to get to alpine areas in region 3. Once snow is above your knees, no more deer. Frost or cold temps are nothing to deer, it's the snow that dictates their movement.
There is still more food in the alpine than usual due to delayed summer. But, yes, if it freezes and vegetation dies off, deer will get moving...

You're welcome guys... so, who thinks mule deer will be at that elevation come early Oct? Will that optimal forage back in Aug now lose some of its nutrition due to frost etc, forcing the majority of the bucks to lower elevations?

HarryToolips
09-21-2022, 02:24 PM
It all depends on the weather and the area. Some areas have deer move out once the first storm hits and snow sticks. Can be as early as mid September. In my opinion and experience deer still stay in alpine areas until October but closer to their winter range. I have hunted in mid and late October trying to get to alpine areas in region 3. Once snow is above your knees, no more deer. Frost or cold temps are nothing to deer, it's the snow that dictates their movement.
There is still more food in the alpine than usual due to delayed summer. But, yes, if it freezes and vegetation dies off, deer will get moving...

OK good to know, thanks man...from my experience in a completely different area, once there was even half a foot of snow and the frost hit, the deer were already pursuing lower country..

Husky7mm
09-21-2022, 02:49 PM

Its been a minute since I hunted the alpine of BC for the apple of my eye, the mountain mulie. I now hunt elk and whitetail in the northern jungles and swamps of Alberta.

Each area is different depending on the winter range accessibility. Some deer go up and down as the snow comes and goes. Some stay till its to there bellies, and some leave at the first skiff of snow. I believe I had heard where you moved to was the last one, first skiff. The cold and frost makes some plant MORE palatable to the deer, it needs the frost to cause the plant to go from toxic to nutritional. I can’t remember which one they are but a quick google will tell you. Where I live now young willow and alder leaves are very attractive to all ungulates when they start to turn golden.

Some good advice shared already for sure. Some local biologist have knowledge of mulie migration patterns for certain areas. Just have to google or email them.

dino
09-21-2022, 04:09 PM
You got some Nice Bucks to post up ? :) RJ

He actually does and if I didn't screw up on Saturday we would have had a nice one down. Now go back to your armchair.

HarryToolips
09-21-2022, 09:01 PM
Its been a minute since I hunted the alpine of BC for the apple of my eye, the mountain mulie. I now hunt elk and whitetail in the northern jungles and swamps of Alberta.

Each area is different depending on the winter range accessibility. Some deer go up and down as the snow comes and goes. Some stay till its to there bellies, and some leave at the first skiff of snow. I believe I had heard where you moved to was the last one, first skiff. The cold and frost makes some plant MORE palatable to the deer, it needs the frost to cause the plant to go from toxic to nutritional. I can’t remember which one they are but a quick google will tell you. Where I live now young willow and alder leaves are very attractive to all ungulates when they start to turn golden.

Some good advice shared already for sure. Some local biologist have knowledge of mulie migration patterns for certain areas. Just have to google or email them.

OK thanks man, appreciate it..

Arctic Lake
09-21-2022, 09:06 PM
When you are talking about the vegetation and their nutrients Dr. Valerius Geist mentions this in his book
Arctic Lake

HarryToolips
09-22-2022, 06:57 AM
Hey Fellas,

I thought it might be worth asking. I'm at my wit's end with hunting blacktail as I reach my fifth year of getting nothing since I started hunting at the coast. I am a transplant from region 4 and I am used to hunting deer in the Rockies. I am going out the next few weeks in the hopes of getting a mule deer to fill the bottom of the freezer and I'd like to focus my attention on one of these possible areas.
1) Texas Creek Rd South of Lilloette (I know it is closed going into Moly but I am thinking of cycling in to see how close I can get)
2) Mount Thynne near Coldwater or Henning Peak near Britton Creek.
3) Flat Top Mountain near EastGate and Placer Lake.

I would be grateful for any feed back or direct messages with other suggestions.

good luck.
I've hiked/camped around flat top/Placer lake once, when you get high enough there's a good view of a burn, the burn looks to go quite a ways, and there is another section that has got some alpine slope..so it could potentially be productive...as mentioned earlier, really utilize your glass..

brotherjames
10-06-2022, 09:34 AM
Wow Amazing country! I made it up to Flat Top mountain and approached it from two angles. Amazing views but very little game.
Here are some pics.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8817&stc=1http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=8818&stc=1

HarryToolips
10-06-2022, 11:15 AM
That's great, I did enjoy the camping spots at the lake..lol I remember I went in August and regretted not bringing my fly rod..