PDA

View Full Version : Day packs

bearhunter338-06
03-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I would like to upgrade my Fanny Pack to a Day Pack. Looking for some advise as to what to look for.

Thank you
Burke

Slee
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Have a look at the MR Dragon Slayer. Great fitting pack that rides well with a fair load in it. The tri-zip is nice to access the stuff in the pack as well. If your coming through the loops, you can have a look at mine.

frenchbar
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
I use my badlands 2800 .. big enough to haul out a fair bit of meat if you get an animal a ways away from the truck .

todbartell
03-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Badlands Diablo & Eberlestock x2, both great day packs

pnbrock
03-06-2011, 11:11 AM
i use the badlands 2800 carry more than i need for a day,not to mention the no question warranty is great.

pappy
03-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Good choice fanny packs are ghey. I have used an old asolo that I had from when I was logging. Now I have been bringing my top section of my bag that came with my frame pack. Its just big enough to bring what I need and I can mount it on the frame by itself and hike with that if I'm in rough country. I don't see a need to spend around $100 on a special hunting pack. its only a day pack so any good colored pack will do. For longer hunts its worth getting something good and comfortable.

Chuck
03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm not going to name a particular brand, but I'd like to mention that over the years I've been very pleased with my personal preference. Maybe it can help you to decide or not.

Bag style that fits some simple criterion: One main and good sized compartment with at least three external pockets that have zipper closures. Waterproof linings and sturdily constructed multiple stitching. No frame - rucksack style. Silent material, as I primarily still hunt it has to be quiet. Padded straps with a cross tie.

Really basic, but has hauled out one helluva lot of boned out meat over the decades I've had it. Just a rucksack day pack. Got it out of the States years ago. :)

BromBones
03-06-2011, 11:33 AM
One more vote for the Badlands 2800. Great mid-size pack, works fine for a daypack & has enough volume to go for a few days & pack out some meat if you need to.

houndogger
03-06-2011, 11:45 AM
I have a badlands superday and it carrys all my daily needs for the dogs and myself.

spear
03-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Carefull you dont get too big a pack, hunting or not people tend to keep filling their bag when there is room.
I would say 25-40L would be more than enough, badlands superday/2200, sitka flash 32/bivy 30 get my vote.

dana
03-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I actually perfer a bigger pack as my daypack, that way when you are a long ways back and you kill something, you don't have to walk all the way out to get your 'real' pack. I use my Eberlestock J105 as a daypack. It is able to be really compact for the size of the pack and yet it opens up to be one hell of a meat hauler when I need it. IMO if you go with a small daypack, you are creating a lot more work for yourself when you get an animal on the ground.

03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I have the Badlands Superday, almost all my zipper pulls have broken with little use. Sure it has a good warranty but for what it costs to ship it both ways I will put that towards a better pack.

troutseeker
03-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I use a Mystery Ranch Crewcab. Cinches down to nothing and can carry a big load.

Buckman
03-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Badlands Diablo

huntcoop
03-06-2011, 08:55 PM
I actually perfer a bigger pack as my daypack, that way when you are a long ways back and you kill something, you don't have to walk all the way out to get your 'real' pack. I use my Eberlestock J105 as a daypack. It is able to be really compact for the size of the pack and yet it opens up to be one hell of a meat hauler when I need it. IMO if you go with a small daypack, you are creating a lot more work for yourself when you get an animal on the ground.

That is a very good point. I have a J105 as well but just wish it was a little lighter empty and that you didn't have to unbuckle everything to access your stuff inside. Otherwise it is a bulletproof pack. Perhaps the X2 or X1E would be better....not sure......anyone have either of these packs and could advise.

bearhunter338-06
03-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks for all the advice. All good.

I find that I tend to walk the old logging roads and skidder trails more and more as I get older. The main reason I want to up grade from the fanny pack to a day pack, the fanny pack is to small. When I am out walking around I have extra things I like/have to pack with me. I am a diabetic so I carry extra medication, needles, 2 types of insulin, and my pills along with my test kit. 4 - 5 days of medication (you never know). Plus all the other goodies.

I just need to figure out a size and style.
Once again thanks
Burke

chinook
03-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Ive got the Badlands Superday. Its a good pack and stands up to the beating it gets but if I were to have the chance again I would have bought the Diablo. More compact, better weight distribution and few more compartments.

Wrongside
03-07-2011, 05:32 AM
Have a look at the MR Dragon Slayer. Great fitting pack that rides well with a fair load in it. The tri-zip is nice to access the stuff in the pack as well. If your coming through the loops, you can have a look at mine.

x2 I am really happy with mine too.

MR stuff is as close to bombproof as anything made of fabric can be.

lone wolf
03-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I was going through the search also . Was leaning towards the 2200 or 2800 then. Thought that I will be pushing myself a little further this upcoming season. Came home with the badlands ox . This is my first serious pack . Sure I could have gotten a smaller pack, but want to challenge myself by deboning and packing it out. And after working an afternoon shift I was checking it out and was gonna slip it into the closet but got busted . Ya she was standing behind me with her hands on her hips pose . lol

Rugernator
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Im looking for a decent pack under $100 ideas anyone?

03-07-2011, 10:05 PM
I use a Mystery Ranch Crewcab. Cinches down to nothing and can carry a big load.

X2 most versatile pack I have used

showtimebc
03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
I have a sitka bivy 45, and I find its ideal.

bearhunter338-06
03-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Once again thanks for the advice. I have narrowed my choice down to the Badlands 2800 and the Eberlestock X2. I will need to find out who handels these to producs and try them on for size and fit. Any suggestions.

Thanks

Gunner
03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Grouse River in Kelowna for Eberlestock.I have an X1 and a Kifaru Daystalker,both are first class daypacks. The Kifaru with the folding seat will pack a fair amount of meat.Gunner

Squamch
03-08-2011, 08:34 AM
For the past two seasons I've been using a Canadian tire outbound brand pack. It's a "canyon 45."
I've used it for hunting, hiking, dirtbiking, carrying beer to the beach...its my everyday bag. Ive fallen off the bike with it on, so that's a testament to it's toughness. So far, so good. It's comfy, it's about $50, and since I'm not gonna be carting a moose out by myself with it, it works for my purposes. I hosed it down inside and out with Dakota brand silicone spray, and my stuff stays pretty dry.