PDA

View Full Version : Best foods to bring to hunting camp?

BlackwaterHunter
03-05-2011, 09:28 AM
And what foods not to bring!

knighthunter
03-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Pickled eggs,you decide.

cdub
03-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Depends on the camp. We drive in and setup wall tent. We take frozen meals and cook them in our home made oven on top of a camp chef stove. Vacuum pack everything if you can. For us this works well as we can store coolers in the trailer locked up from animals, also the time of year will help keep the food fresh as in november nothing thaws out unless in the tent.

quadrakid
03-05-2011, 09:46 AM
If your under 25 you can pick up all the food you need at your first gas station stop after the liquor store stop. If your a little older you bring plenty of frozen meals prepared at home from healthy ingredients.

Alpine Addict
03-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Homemade caramel popcorn. by the truckloads

huntermike
03-05-2011, 10:06 AM
Homemade frozen venison lasagna!!

Buck TraX
03-05-2011, 10:07 AM
A sack of potaters and some onions the rest the bush can supply like grouse or some trout

Buck TraX
03-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Anybody else ever tried the minimalist approch to staying in the bush a few days sure puts a twist on hunting and survival out there!

newhunterette
03-05-2011, 10:14 AM
hunting and fishing camp foods

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0019.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0018.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0017-1.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0016.jpg
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0015.jpg

newhunterette
03-05-2011, 10:16 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/food/DSC_0022-1.jpg

yup his cooler makes him spoiled

willyqbc
03-05-2011, 10:21 AM
When we can drive to camp, frozen homemade meals are the order of the day as stated above. We tend to lean towards high carb, high protein to give enough energy to sustain us for full days of hiking. Pastas with meat sauce, elk stir fry with rice, heavily loaded stews etc, etc.

Chris

MB_Boy
03-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Poor hunters take meat to a hunting camp. :tongue: :wink:

Singleshotneeded
03-05-2011, 12:26 PM
:-D Damn, Newhunterette's man is spoiled stupid! :-) I'm with MB_Boy, just shoot some grouse during the day and fry them up with salt, pepper, garlic, and sage...heat up some previously roasted potatoes and you're all set! If it's raining and the grouse are all hidden, and you want meat with your potatoes, then off you go squirrel hunting! Note, don't use a .300 WM to shoot the squirrels!

newhunterette
03-05-2011, 12:32 PM
Poor hunters take meat to a hunting camp. :tongue: :wink:

:-D Damn, Newhunterette's man is spoiled stupid! :-) I'm with MB_Boy, just shoot some grouse during the day and fry them up with salt, pepper, garlic, and sage...heat up some previously roasted potatoes and you're all set! If it's raining and the grouse are all hidden, and you want meat with your potatoes, then off you go squirrel hunting! Note, don't use a .300 WM to shoot the squirrels!

oh they do get grouse as well, fish too but its always nice to have a little of home sent into the bush as well. It's survival at its best for the man. LOL

akyne
03-05-2011, 12:41 PM
When we can drive to camp, frozen homemade meals are the order of the day as stated above. We tend to lean towards high carb, high protein to give enough energy to sustain us for full days of hiking. Pastas with meat sauce, elk stir fry with rice, heavily loaded stews etc, etc.

Chris

X2... precooked, homemade meals are quick and easy after a long day and are a million times better than a can of Chunky. If you've got someone kicking around camp for an afternoon, a fire-roasted beef roast makes for damn good eating. We always bring a few steaks as they are simple to cook over the fire and involve no prep work. I definitely abide by the theory "you are what you eat" and as such, I leave the junk food at home. I prefer real oatmeal in the morning with a scoop of brown sugar and handful of raisins as opposed to the instant stuff. I like plenty of fruit, dried or otherwise.

We bring lots of the obvious staples: spuds, onions, ground chuck, bacon, eggs.

I once brought a squeeze bottle of homemade pancake batter on a short trip, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but the Magic Baking Powder, seemed to loose it's magic as I essentially ended up with crepes!

Most important, I always bring at least twice as much coffee as I think I'll ever need.

Goliath
03-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Coucous, Biltong, and Droewors are some of my favorite camp foods. Very compact, high in protein & calories (100+ per ounce) and delicious. And of course, they don't require refridgeration.

BlackwaterHunter
03-05-2011, 01:17 PM
I am a younger hunter and my mother ( best cook ever. period) gave me and my dad a large cooler filled with the type of stuff you would expect in a 5 star restrant, halibut, home made pulled pork, and soo much more! I love her!

Wolfman
03-05-2011, 01:20 PM
If your under 25 you can pick up all the food you need at your first gas station stop after the liquor store stop. If your a little older you bring plenty of frozen meals prepared at home from healthy ingredients.

Heh heh! That killed me, man!!!! :-D:-D

newhunterette
03-05-2011, 01:23 PM
I am a younger hunter and my mother ( best cook ever. period) gave me and my dad a large cooler filled with the type of stuff you would expect in a 5 star restrant, halibut, home made pulled pork, and soo much more! I love her!

that is the best thing a mother or a wife likes to hear is that their menfolk love them and the effort they put forth to make sure the bellies are kept happy and healthy

you are a wonderful son - cheers

moose2
03-05-2011, 01:31 PM
When I was younger I would buy a bucket of KFC chicken and a flat of beer it would last the four days off I had , it was weather dependant whether I had cold beer and cold chicken or it was the other way around. Now my partners ( 3 ) and my grocery bills are over a $1000 for 12 days plus beer costs.
Mike

frenchbar
03-05-2011, 01:34 PM
When I was younger I would buy a bucket of KFC chicken and a flat of beer it would last the four days off I had , it was weather dependant whether I had cold beer and cold chicken or it was the other way around. Now my partners ( 3 ) and my grocery bills are over a $1000 for 12 days plus beer costs.
Mike..

bucket of chicken and a flat of beer lol...sounds alot like my younger days hunting trips lol... i always make sure i got a big block of cheese...cant leave home without it !

happyhunter
03-05-2011, 02:07 PM

Ha Ha Ha totally!

Sitkaspruce
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
Lots of pasta, meatloaf, lasagna, chili, smoked fish, bread, buns, cheese and big chunks of garlic horse c*ck for around the fire.

At my age, I have done the chicken and beer thing, now we eat like kings......

Cheers

SS

Gateholio
03-05-2011, 03:18 PM
I take a couple of flats of beer, a few bottles of whiskey and some cheese and crackers. If i want to eat anything else, I have to kill it, so it keeps me motivated.:tongue:

CanuckShooter
03-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Jerky, pepperoni, bacon and eggs, hash browns..garlic lots of garlic...spuds, carrots, bread, marg...garlic lots of garlic...pirate cookies...elk sausages..cheese, pickles....hot dogs/smokies....potato chips...cheesies...garlic lots of garlic...dinner rolls, canned corn, chicken, moose steaks [tenders preferred]...

gameslayer
03-05-2011, 05:50 PM
I take a couple of flats of beer, a few bottles of whiskey and some cheese and crackers. If i want to eat anything else, I have to kill it, so it keeps me motivated.:tongue:

I can't wait until we run into each other in the bush sounds like a successful pack for a good time:mrgreen: we have some similar packing stratigies. A little fresh heart stroganoff to bring it all together.

BCBear
03-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Chili is always ready to heat up and stored in widemouth nalgenes, cup a soups for the quick fix and deer sloppy joes (only if your sleeping alone) though:mrgreen:

nano
03-05-2011, 06:10 PM
Home made salami, sausages and bread goes great with some cheeses. And to wash things down a gallon of home made wine.

1/2 slam
03-05-2011, 07:09 PM
OMG newhunterette:eek: I'd be 600 pounds. thats fantastic.

M.Dean
03-05-2011, 07:59 PM
I used to have a stove with a oven I took out of a old camper, I put handles on it cuz it was heavy, but once that thing was set up in camp, man did we make some great meals! We were at the Empire one year and a buddy and his sons showed up from the Island. He brought about 30 pounds of Halibut with him, we made a beer batter and a couple of us had 2 cast iron pans on the stove with oil good and hot, we ate like Kings, drank whiskey like Dogs and had one hell of great hunting trip!!! That old stove Cooked soup's and stews, baked Salmon and fresh buns in Hunting Camps! Some trips we took Roasters full of Moose or Deer Roasts, seasoned to the 9's, Potato's and onions were added,throw in a fresh garden salad and a dozen corn cobs in a big pot on top and boy with some ice cold drinks, we ate better in our Hunting Camps than some people do at home!!! With the Quads, I take a small cooking grate, it fits in the rear box, so I take some smoke's and buns, cheese and Mustard and we stop for lunch at a Lake or the nearest spot where we can glass for animals and drink coffee and sit by the fire! Dam, if there wasn't 3 1/2 feet of snow up here, I'd pack up the Quad and go out in the morning!

leadpillproductions
03-05-2011, 08:34 PM
When we were younger we went with what we called it the welfare program take ichi ban noodles and and eat our other two buddie food , They allways had good food lol. Now all i take is freeze dried food.

Don_Abbate
03-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Buns, leg of prosciutto, Hunk of Cheese, Olives, Beer and Wine.

BromBones
03-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Big bag of spuds, onions, hotcake mix, eggs, and lots of some kind of meat.

Whisky.

Don_Abbate
03-05-2011, 11:35 PM
http://i714.photobucket.com/albums/ww143/Don_Abbate/IMG_1169.jpg THIS IS MY ANSWER

Barracuda
03-05-2011, 11:39 PM
we are pretty simple when it comes to food.
Coffee,soda,protein powder,bran,sandwiches or stuff for makeing them,macaroni&cheese, sausage,eggs,soup some junkfood which is mainly for driveing.

Ogopogo
03-05-2011, 11:40 PM
good ole Staggs Chili and toast if your lucky.

Smiz
03-05-2011, 11:42 PM
We go for two weeks and we started taking a little freezer into camp a couple of years a go. Best thing we ever did. Now can make up a couple of lasagna and a couple of sheperd pies or a chili and stuff. Stuff in the camper oven and good to go. Throw it in after lunch with the pilot on and turn on when back from hunting and ready to go after a couple of cocktails. We run a little gen set for a couple of hours a night for lights and stuff so keeps the freezer good and cold. Good times with ice for the ceasers or any other drinks you might like. We used to waste more food before we had the freezer. Now we can bring stuff home like sandwich meat or cheese and not waste it. Getting older so need more comfort LOL. Now sleep in a cargo trailer with propane furnace and cook in the wall tent with the wood stove. Nice in the middle of the night to just turn up the thermostat instead of crawling out of the sleeping bag and putting more wood on the fire. Sucks to get old LOL

hunter1947
03-06-2011, 03:47 AM
Not to bring would be pickled eggs ,peperonies ,chilly ,food to bring rasin brand ,bannans ,apples ,potatoes ,game meat ,canned foods ,and lots of greens..

ChilliwackWinchester
03-06-2011, 08:41 AM
We buy our hunting gear at Walmart, but the food.... it's a day trip to Bosa!

bearhunter338-06
03-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Jerky, pepperoni, bacon and eggs, hash browns..garlic lots of garlic...spuds, carrots, bread, marg...garlic lots of garlic...pirate cookies...elk sausages..cheese, pickles....hot dogs/smokies....potato chips...cheesies...garlic lots of garlic...dinner rolls, canned corn, chicken, moose steaks [tenders preferred]...

Don't forget the garlic.:mrgreen:

martyonthewater
03-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Chilis, stews, baked pasta, definately some steaks, lots of trail mix, oatmeal, tons of coffee, and of course beer. This year I will also be bringing along some homemade italian sausage. making it today lol

Squamch
03-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Lucky lager, carolans, coffee, a sack o potatoes, onions, perogies, eggs, bacon, bread, sausages, frozen stew that we ad grouse/rabbit/whatever to. We eat great, hell, we bring Beer can stoves when we're doing a day hike and have hot lunches most days.

combine pilot
03-06-2011, 09:33 AM
The best meal ever eaten was KD mixed with a can of TenderFlakes of ham after being in the mountains for 6 days with nothing but freeze-dried. Of course there is also the old faithfuls Budweiser and The Captain.

mark
03-06-2011, 09:42 AM

Man, its scary just how true this is!

If Im going by myself, I like to just have a rubermaid full of non-parishables in the truck, that stay in there all hunting season.
If I want to eat better, I have to kill something!
Ive gotten very good at killing grouse with rocks!

swampthing
03-06-2011, 06:08 PM
I have eaten KD with many things but never tenderflakes. Thanks for the idea.

SHAKER
04-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Best stuff....... elk loins with garlic prawns sitting in Elk camp waiting for the apple pie to heat up on the bbq. Worst food is the cans that say "MAY CONTAIN parts of (insert animal) and\or (insert different animal) and\or.....

bridger
04-27-2011, 07:33 AM
never leave home without the three major food group. tums, tylenol, and kokanee!!

SHAKER
04-27-2011, 11:13 AM
never leave home without the three major food group. tums, tylenol, and kokanee!!

Should have Gatoraid on the list too! really helps in the morning.

kgriz
04-27-2011, 01:03 PM
Used to take full supper meals when I went Ocean-fishing.......last trip
Supper groceries for 4 guys for 5 days .....4 lbs butter
Really gives you some motivation to catch some crab or go hungry!

peashooter
04-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Beer and bullets. No need to take food into the bush, it's full of eatables.

hunter1947
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
A variety of tin foods has a big advantage it keeps in hot weather and that is what counts.

italhunter
04-27-2011, 03:09 PM
You definitely can't go wrong bringing pasta. We bring jars of our homemade sauces, but the store bought ones are pretty good too. After a long hard day of hunting, and hiking, nothing beats sitting around the stove with a big plate of pasta and a glass of homemade wine.

Barracuda
04-27-2011, 04:44 PM
:mrgreen:i bring my famous three bean and prune chilly and a long sleeve shirt:mrgreen:

CdnFirefighter
04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Some of the above sound like main staples. Not sure if you ever tried it but even Puratin Beef Stew in a can is pretty good when "roughing it". Just cook your rice in the pot.. add stew and let it get warm and dinner is served. Nice thing is not many dishes if you are using the fine china, or eating out of the pot. LOL Sticks to the ribs well too.

CanuckShooter
05-01-2011, 07:04 AM
You definitely can't go wrong bringing pasta. We bring jars of our homemade sauces, but the store bought ones are pretty good too. After a long hard day of hunting, and hiking, nothing beats sitting around the stove with a big plate of pasta and a glass of homemade wine.

Having a snort of grappa is kinda nice too.