PDA

View Full Version : B.C. Slam?

d_j__c
03-04-2011, 11:04 PM
How many huntible big game animals are in bc? Has anyone taken or know someome who has taken them all?

finngun
03-04-2011, 11:43 PM
what is smallest of BIG game animals?

Moose Guide
03-05-2011, 12:25 AM
what is smallest of BIG game animals?

17 I think, with wolf being smallest
moose
rm elk
rosie elk
caribou
wt
mulie
bt
fallow deer
rocky sheep
cali sheep
stone
dall
mtn goat
bison
grizz
b bear
cougar
wolf
I guess 18 if you count fallow deer

CanuckShooter
03-05-2011, 07:35 AM
moose
rm elk
rosie elk
caribou
wt
mulie
bt
fallow deer
rocky sheep
cali sheep
stone
dall
mtn goat
bison
grizz
b bear
cougar
wolf

You forgot Hybrid deer........:-D..and....Spirit Bears.....

The Dude
03-05-2011, 07:49 AM
what is smallest of BIG game animals? Kuper Island Blacktails

bcmulie
03-05-2011, 11:49 PM
moose
rm elk
rosie elk
caribou
wt
mulie
bt
fallow deer
rocky sheep
cali sheep
stone
dall
mtn goat
bison
grizz
b bear
cougar
wolf

Two blacktails in BC: columbia and sitka.

I personally wouldn't count fallow deer as they're not native.

I know one guy who only needs a Roosevelt Elk to complete his BC slam, but don't know anyone who has them all. Only 7 species to go to finish my BC slam. :mrgreen:

BiG Boar
03-06-2011, 01:04 AM
I go by SCI book. They encompass all kinds of animals which I think are important in a true slam. Wolverine, coyote, island and mainland black bear, how many different caribou species, bobcat, and lynx?

Everett
03-06-2011, 03:01 AM
Interesting I have 7 of the list without trying

hunter1947
03-06-2011, 03:23 AM
I know of one person that only needs one more animal to compleat the GS he needs a Roosevelt elk he told me that he will get a roosevelt elk soon even if he has to pay for a guided hunt to get one..

David Heitsman
03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Maybe this is a topic the new and improved BC Safari Club chapter could look at?

BCHunterFSJ
03-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Maybe this is a topic the new and improved BC Safari Club chapter could look at?

Is there really a BC chapter of Safari Club???

GoatGuy
03-06-2011, 09:28 AM
I go by SCI book. They encompass all kinds of animals which I think are important in a true slam. Wolverine, coyote, island and mainland black bear, how many different caribou species, bobcat, and lynx?

SCI even has an invented species called shiras moose and they exist only south of HWY #1.

I wouldn't go by what they have, to be honest it's a bunch of bs.

BiG Boar
03-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Well I got to go by something. Not going to be easy but that is what I am trying for. Afterall how do you know what is the best kind of hunt if you haven't tried them all. Bighorn, wolverine, roosevelt will take some work though.

GoatGuy
03-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Well I got to go by something. Not going to be easy but that is what I am trying for. Afterall how do you know what is the best kind of hunt if you haven't tried them all. Bighorn, wolverine, roosevelt will take some work though.

B&C at least sticks to true sub-species. :wink:

Alone in the wildernes
03-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Since I live on the island I think I have figured out on how to get a LEH elk tag for here. Live as far away from as you can, govt. makes more money that way. LOL.

yukon john
03-06-2011, 10:02 AM
B&C at least sticks to true sub-species. :wink:

for once we agree on something, Safari Club just comes up with new species as a marketing scam, Shockey used his power to get the Island bears listed as a seperate species and now he gets 5 grand more than the guys on the mainland. GOABC is doing something similiar with their new record book ( which is a joke by the way, the outfitters do the measuring so that everybody makes it in the book and goes home happy)

kuiu
03-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Who cares! That SCI seems like a bunch of guys with small mans syndrome. I bet they all drive huge trucks too. Just trying to compensate for having a small wang.

GoatGuy
03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
for once we agree on something, Safari Club just comes up with new species as a marketing scam, Shockey used his power to get the Island bears listed as a seperate species and now he gets 5 grand more than the guys on the mainland. GOABC is doing something similiar with their new record book ( which is a joke by the way, the outfitters do the measuring so that everybody makes it in the book and goes home happy)

Somebody must have rung your bell. :twisted:

GOABC was what got the Shiras designation extended south of HWY 1. That has been a pile of pressure from the outfitters just north of the HWY to be included in the shiras boundary. Wouldn't be surprised if SCI decides it's a good idea.

GoatGuy
03-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Who cares! That SCI seems like a bunch of guys with small mans syndrome. I bet they all drive huge trucks too. Just trying to compensate for having a small wang.
The concept of keeping records has certainly been lost on most people.

smoke-eater
03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Does the SCI go by B&C fair chase? I don't see it listed on the web page. I'm guessing they don't, since they keep records on introduced North American animals that are kept in fenced inclosures.....

What is a texas dall sheep anyways. I didn't know greater kudu were north american.

I'm with kuiu on this one, anyone trying to do this SCI crap has a small wang!

smoke-eater
03-06-2011, 10:43 AM
http://www.raftersb.com/BigBoy1.jpg

RSB* BIG BOY TD-1
UHHSA Registered
3 Years Old

Gold Class Horns with a score of 97 1/8 using Records of Exotics scoring system

TEXAS DALL RAM!

They have him pre-scored for you. What a great system!! Any record book that allows this type of hunting seems pretty gay. The SCI is a joke!!!

SCI- Small C#cks Inc.

CanuckShooter
03-06-2011, 10:52 AM
http://www.raftersb.com/BigBoy1.jpg

RSB* BIG BOY TD-1
UHHSA Registered
3 Years Old

Gold Class Horns with a score of 97 1/8 using Records of Exotics scoring system

TEXAS DALL RAM!

They have him pre-scored for you. What a great system!! Any record book that allows this type of hunting seems pretty gay. The SCI is a joke!!!

SCI- Small C#cks Inc.

Maybe small c#cks but look at the BALLS on that badboy!!!:mrgreen:

finngun
03-06-2011, 10:59 AM
I know of one person that only needs one more animal to compleat the GS he needs a Roosevelt elk he told me that he will get a roosevelt elk soon even if he has to pay for a guided hunt to get one..

are there a guided hunt for a roosevelt elk?? never heard of:confused: [native big money hunt:confused:] anything else?

Moose Guide
03-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Does the SCI go by B&C fair chase? I don't see it listed on the web page. I'm guessing they don't, since they keep records on introduced North American animals that are kept in fenced inclosures.....

What is a texas dall sheep anyways. I didn't know greater kudu were north american.

I'm with kuiu on this one, anyone trying to do this SCI crap has a small wang!

As long as the spider bull is in B&C they do not follow fair chase rules or have any right to claim they do!!!

smoke-eater
03-06-2011, 08:33 PM
As long as the spider bull is in B&C they do not follow fair chase rules or have any right to claim they do!!!

What do you mean???? this is from the press release on the bull......

"Readers will discover, for example, that Buckner confirmed at least 55 other hunters were hunting the area where the record bull was taken, that local law enforcement personnel investigated but found no evidence that the bull was pen-raised or escaped from a pen, nor any illegal conduct, and that many hunter-based conservation groups contributed to the quality of the area’s habitat."

Sounds like fair chase to me.........

http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/featured_story.asp?area=news&ID=42

quadrakid
03-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Hunting an animal so you can tick it off a list is a poor reason to be hunting.Just my point of view.

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 03:26 AM
are there a guided hunt for a roosevelt elk?? never heard of:confused: [native big money hunt:confused:] anything else?

I have been told that guid outfitters that own there guiding areas on Vancouver island are presented 2 or 3 roosevelt elk tags a year for there clients ,the clients can be anyone you me or other..

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Hunting an animal so you can tick it off a list is a poor reason to be hunting.Just my point of view.

How many different animals in BC have you harvested?

How many different styles of hunting have you tried? Tree stand, ground blind, still hunt walking, using dogs, calling, baiting, road hunting?

My goal along with other people who are trying to harvest a list of animals isn't to try and just tick them off the list. We want to try and hunt as many different styles as possible, and get to see the enjoyment in harvesting all different types of animals. Each different speices provides a new and very different challenge, none are poor choices to hunt. Until you've tried them all, how will you know which animals you like hunting the best?

I find most people get stuck on a couple of species they like to hunt, but when someone introduces them to a new type of hunting they say wow, this hunt is great!

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Who cares! That SCI seems like a bunch of guys with small mans syndrome.

The SCI is a joke!!!

As I doubt you know what SCI does, take a read here.

http://www.scifirstforhunters.org/content/index.cfm?action=view&content_id=109

They have protected animals around the world for us hunters I gaurantee you didnt even know existed. Let alone protecting your right to HUNT.

Now after reading that, do you not appriciate what they do for us? :-D

GoatGuy
03-07-2011, 08:48 AM

They have protected animals around the world for us hunters I gaurantee you didnt even know existed. Let alone protecting your right to HUNT.

They do spend $ in the States, nothing around these parts unless you count inventing imaginary species.

325 wsm
03-07-2011, 09:05 AM
SCI SUCKS
Killing shit on private high fenced land is not hunting it's farming.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 09:13 AM
They do spend $ in the States, nothing around these parts unless you count inventing imaginary species.

Some SCI projects.

Sportsmen Against Hunger began in 1989, and through the network of SCI chapters, provides food banks with meat from harvested animals. In 2006, over 250,000 pounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(mass)) of wild game were donated to charitable relief organizations.The Sensory Safari program allows sight-impaired individuals to get a “visual” perspective of what animals are like by feeling mounts, skins, skulls, horns, and antlers. The National Federation of the Blind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Federation_of_the_Blind) (NFB) asked SCIF to host a Sensory Safari at its annual convention. In 1997, the NFB signed a memorandum of understanding with SCI to host Sensory Safaris at all future NFB national and state conventions. Hunters who participate in the SafariCare program take bags filled by SCI chapter with medical, school, and relief supplies to clinics and schools to remote regions of the developing world. The SafariWish program is part of the SafariCare program, designed to give children with life-threatening illnesses a chance to go hunting. The Disabled Hunter program, through SCI chapters, provides sponsorship for hunting trips for disabled sportsmen.

It will be interesting to see what projects the Vancouver chapter takes on.

kuiu
03-07-2011, 09:24 AM

You are right! There was a whole list of animals I have never heard of. A list of non-native North American animals you can shoot in fenced inclosures. Must take a real man to shoot an animal in a pen. You can back your little boys club all you want, but deep down you know its all about bragging rights.

I have read a lot of your posts on here, and I knew you had a alternative motive to all the hunting you have been doing. Now we all know what it is. I guess rich guys have to do something with all their money.

325 wsm
03-07-2011, 09:29 AM
[QUOTE=BiG Boar;873459]Some SCI projects.

Sportsmen Against Hunger began in 1989, and through the network of SCI chapters, provides food banks with meat from harvested animals. In 2006, over 250,000

Big Boar do you have any numbers that would clarify how much of that meat came from private property that is no longer open to public hunting for locals who wish to support themselves instead of living off the handouts of the rich who now OWN those animals.

bugler
03-07-2011, 09:44 AM
SCI does some good work for conservation and hunting rights. So do RM Elk Foundation, Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young and the BCWF for that matter. The big difference is that SCI doesn't seem to care about FAIR CHASE, which to me is extremely important to the future of hunting, so I see them as a net loss to the hunting community.

If you go by SCI then there are two kinds of black bear and moose here. Outfitters can now charge big $$ for a large Shiras moose instead of not much for a small Canada moose, and it seemed that the push for LEH came from the GO's once this designation was made. Another reason to dislike SCI!!

smoke-eater
03-07-2011, 09:45 AM

How many different styles of hunting have you tried? Tree stand, ground blind, still hunt walking, using dogs, calling, baiting, road hunting?

My goal along with other people who are trying to harvest a list of animals isn't to try and just tick them off the list. We want to try and hunt as many different styles as possible, and get to see the enjoyment in harvesting all different types of animals. Each different speices provides a new and very different challenge, none are poor choices to hunt. Until you've tried them all, how will you know which animals you like hunting the best?

I find most people get stuck on a couple of species they like to hunt, but when someone introduces them to a new type of hunting they say wow, this hunt is great!

Well it sounds like you should run for president of this Vancouver SCI thing. You sure belive in what they do. I am sure they have spent millions of dollars over the years helping out their trophy rooms, oh I mean local hunters protecting their right to hunt Gemsbok (http://javascript<b></b>:popupTopTen('view_topten.cfm?specID=X21');), Grant Gazelle (http://javascript<b></b>:popupTopTen('view_topten.cfm?specID=X49');), Black Wildebeest (http://javascript<b></b>:popupTopTen('view_topten.cfm?specID=X47');), ect, in high fenced inclosures in Texas! Good on yeah for fighting the good fight!

When your running the show in Vancouver, I would like to request that you bring in Marco Polo Argali (http://javascript<b></b>:popupTopTen('view_topten.cfm?specID=A54');) ????? I have always wanted to shoot one of these thing. And I'll save a pile of money by only having to go to a game farm in Chilliwack to do it!

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I have read a lot of your posts on here, and I knew you had a alternative motive to all the hunting you have been doing. Now we all know what it is.

I think you're right, that certain animals in certain places is not the same as hunting native wild species.

You have no idea what my financial situation is. Rich? Please. I still rent a place. You've got more money in your bank account than I do.

I am curious about my alternative motive? My ONLY motivation is love of hunting in all different forms and places. I have been hunting for 3 years now, I bet you love it even more than I do! Heck, I would try hunting hogs from a helicoptor just for the experience, so long as it was legal!

I am not a member of SCI. I just stated that they do a lot of good for the hunting comunity. Even if we both don't agree with thier scoring system, or boundries of certain species.

I think you're right, that certain animals in certain places is not the same as hunting native wild species. I currently have an opportunity to go hunt a lion in RSA in October and I turned it down for only the reason that I didnt want to shoot it in a small enclosure. Not really hunting IMO. Yet many hunters would consider hunting blacktails on a gulf island smaller than the size of the pen, fair chase.

Most people lump SCI members into a bunch of rich snobs, which I am sure some of them are, but the majority are just average hunters.

The point I think we would all agree on is that any organization that supports hunters and fights against groups like PETA and the Humane society for our rights around the world is a good thing.

GoatGuy
03-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Some SCI projects.

Sportsmen Against Hunger began in 1989, and through the network of SCI chapters, provides food banks with meat from harvested animals. In 2006, over 250,000 pounds (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_%28mass%29) of wild game were donated to charitable relief organizations.The Sensory Safari program allows sight-impaired individuals to get a “visual” perspective of what animals are like by feeling mounts, skins, skulls, horns, and antlers. The National Federation of the Blind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Federation_of_the_Blind) (NFB) asked SCIF to host a Sensory Safari at its annual convention. In 1997, the NFB signed a memorandum of understanding with SCI to host Sensory Safaris at all future NFB national and state conventions. Hunters who participate in the SafariCare program take bags filled by SCI chapter with medical, school, and relief supplies to clinics and schools to remote regions of the developing world. The SafariWish program is part of the SafariCare program, designed to give children with life-threatening illnesses a chance to go hunting. The Disabled Hunter program, through SCI chapters, provides sponsorship for hunting trips for disabled sportsmen.

It will be interesting to see what projects the Vancouver chapter takes on.

Know what the org does in the US.

As said before record keeping has become a competition between people. It's unfortunate and runs rampant across what used to be 'record keeping clubs' which have now become trophy clubs. SCI is the bottom of the barrel in this regard.

The club has encouraged the privatization of wildlife and in terms of the big picture that isn't good for hunters or wildlife.

bugler
03-07-2011, 09:59 AM
[quote]The point I think we would all agree on is that any organization that supports hunters and fights against groups like PETA and the Humane society for our rights around the world is a good thing.[quote]

Sorry BB, to me that's a bit like saying as long as your local pimp/drug dealer gives some money to the local womens' shelter he's a good guy.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Well it sounds like you should run for president of this Vancouver SCI thing. You sure belive in what they do!

No, I don't believe in what they do (I'm not a even a member), I was saying they contribute a lot to fighting for our rights as hunters. That is all I was implying, sorry for any other interpretation. For that I commend them.

When your running the show in Vancouver, I would like to request that you bring in Marco Polo Argali (http://javascript<b></b>:popupTopTen('view_topten.cfm?specID=A54');) ????? I have always wanted to shoot one of these thing. And I'll save a pile of money by only having to go to a game farm in Chilliwack to do it!

I do not believe that would be a fair chase hunt. I also wouldnt shoot a Kudu in Texas. I do however plan on making a go for Marco Polo possibly in 2012. I assure you 12,000 feet up is fair chase.

I think we are all on the same page here. We all agree hunting in small pens is stupid and shooting a zebra in alberta would be lame.

Lets get back on the original topic as this went way off course. My original thoughts to a BC slam was the list of species SCI recognizes. I felt B&C didn't have a true list as Coyote, Bobcat, Lynx and maybe others should be included on a BC big game list.

What big game species do you guys think should make up a true BC slam?

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 10:14 AM
The club has encouraged the privatization of wildlife and in terms of the big picture that isn't good for hunters or wildlife.

That is not good. I agree. I was unaware this was one of thier causes.

I guess I just read about some of the good projects they do and thought they were helping hunters and wildlife and gun owners.

GoatGuy
03-07-2011, 10:22 AM
That is not good. I agree. I was unaware this was one of thier causes.

I guess I just read about some of the good projects they do and thought they were helping hunters and wildlife and gun owners.

Not explicitly. Any time you encourage game farming and support fenced hunts all you doing is removing wildlife from the public and privatize it.

Access to public land is one of the biggest threats hunters and wildlife face in the US.

Game farming of native and exotic species has been linked to several outbreaks in wildlife in the US including CWD.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Goat Guy
Which big game species would you say make up a true BC slam?

jml11
03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Goat Guy

Look into the BC Wildlife Records Club...grab the latest book and chase all listed species. This is the only place you will find a specific list about BC only. Who cares about all the small game and furbearers...this list gives you 16 species to chase (they've pooled sitka and columbian blacktails).

kuiu
03-07-2011, 11:00 AM
I am curious about my alternative motive? My ONLY motivation is love of hunting in all different forms and places. I have been hunting for 3 years now, I bet you love it even more than I do! Heck, I would try hunting hogs from a helicoptor just for the experience, so long as it was legal!

Goat Guy

See, you can't help yourself....... Your worried about some list...... Who cares! There is no such thing as a BC slam. Just go out and enjoy being out in nature, watching wildlife, and eating great clean meat.

Hunting is not a competition! No one cares!

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 12:01 PM

For me taking all the animals of BC is a personal challenge. It is my goal as you will. I am not competing against you or anyone. You're right, no one does care, there isn't a BC slam club!

Some guys just hunt for meat, some for horn size, some to get exercise, some for love of the out doors, some for a 180 mulie, some for a freezer full of elk or moose, some to spend time with family, some to experience new creatures they have never hunted before.

I hunt for all of the above reasons. My goal of taking 1 of each species (of any size or sex) is to learn about all types of hunting and to see which animals I prefer to hunt. I didn't have a dad or grandpa to take me out hunting and teach me.

Most every hunter I know will tell you the one, two, or three species they would love to take next. Or maybe for them its just to take a 140 WT with a bow? Or maybe just to put meat in the freezer. Or maybe just to get away from the wife for a while and hang out with some friends, they could care less if they harvested anything.

To tell someone eles that thier goals in life are stupid or discourage them from achieving them doesn't fit well with the friends I have, or with any of the guides I've ever met.

You might like to shoot a Big Horn ram, but I don't tell you thats a stupid goal.

“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be. (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/only_as_high_as_i_reach_can_i_grow-only_as_far_as/9088.html)”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as2.gif Karen Ravn quotes

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry again for the high jack.

tankster
03-07-2011, 12:31 PM
See, you can't help yourself....... Your worried about some list...... Who cares! There is no such thing as a BC slam. Just go out and enjoy being out in nature, watching wildlife, and eating great clean meat.

its not about if anyone cares.. its about if you care yourself. setting goals is the most important thing a person can do. achieving them is another thing. i can tell you the type of person who just sits around and watches . doesnt really live life . just does the bare minimum

srupp
03-07-2011, 12:42 PM
hmmm I guess everyone hunts for various reasons...I hunt cuz i LOVE IT

I hunt for good game meat..
I hunt for the challenge of putting myself up against more worthier adversairies everytime..

and I hunt for the challenge..once I shot a game animal I knew I could shoot a spike or doe any day..so I went after bigger game..why?? cuz with more life experineces they too got wiser,smarter craftier...and this was challenging..

I realized after shooting a couple of Cali bighorns I could find a certain size every year but could I do better?? so far 167 5/8...would I harvest another Californian bighorn?? truthfully..yes IF it was bigger for certain than what i got already..so I do "compete" with myself...

I put on the wall what is a "trophy" to me....so I can be reminded of years gone by and what i did...

My whitetail is no screaming monster but was the first whitetail that wasnt a imature..and was my first shot at running game a very challenging shot..most guys would not consider it a trophy each to their own...

I respect Daves eagerness to harvest every big game species in Bc..and believe he will...

cheers

" A mans reach should exceede his grasp..or whats a heaven for "

steven

03-07-2011, 12:47 PM

I care,
put into it or stay out of it

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
You see Kuiu, this thread had started up a while back actually. There were several people who were close, and several who were just getting started.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=30352&highlight=slam

The list I have put together looks like this.

Shiras Moose
Canadian Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Black Bear (mainland)
Black Bear (QCI or VI)
Mountain Goat
Mountain caribou
Grizzly Bear
California Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep
Dall's Sheep
Wolf
Coyote
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat
Wolverine
Bison

24 different hunts to experience in the province, all very different and very exciting, and worth going after for one reason or another in my opinion.

The extra ones that are usually contraversial are:
Woodland caribou (not sure there is a huntable heard)
Coastal brown bear (B&C puts them in separate categories)
Fallow Deer (not sure if there is a place on crown land and a season for them)

I have not experienced even half of the big game this province has to offer, but if I had to pick one that was a big surprise it was goats. Man that was crazy! Each time I try hunting a new animal there is new stuff to learn, new ways to hunt, and different game to eat.

I am an average 31 year old. I have held the same job for 10 years, starting my company from loans on credit cards. I grew up poorer than anyone I know. I am unejucated past grade 12 and I even failed some grade 12 courses. I wasn't taught to hunt by my family. I am doing this on my own. This is my thing, and its what I love.

Friends I've met on this site is who taught me all I know about hunting.

I realize a checklist isn't for everyone though. My thoughts were, until you've tried them all you don't know what you're missing!

luckynuts
03-07-2011, 04:07 PM
For me taking all the animals of BC is a personal challenge. It is my goal as you will. I am not competing against you or anyone. You're right, no one does care, there isn't a BC slam club!

Some guys just hunt for meat, some for horn size, some to get exercise, some for love of the out doors, some for a 180 mulie, some for a freezer full of elk or moose, some to spend time with family, some to experience new creatures they have never hunted before.

I hunt for all of the above reasons. My goal of taking 1 of each species (of any size or sex) is to learn about all types of hunting and to see which animals I prefer to hunt. I didn't have a dad or grandpa to take me out hunting and teach me.

Most every hunter I know will tell you the one, two, or three species they would love to take next. Or maybe for them its just to take a 140 WT with a bow? Or maybe just to put meat in the freezer. Or maybe just to get away from the wife for a while and hang out with some friends, they could care less if they harvested anything.

To tell someone eles that thier goals in life are stupid or discourage them from achieving them doesn't fit well with the friends I have, or with any of the guides I've ever met.

You might like to shoot a Big Horn ram, but I don't tell you thats a stupid goal.

“Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be. (http://thinkexist.com/quotation/only_as_high_as_i_reach_can_i_grow-only_as_far_as/9088.html)”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as2.gif Karen Ravn quotes

Nothing but Class! Fine thread you posted BB. You could have like so many others on this site bashed the shite out of this guy for being so many things yet you opted for the high road and added a little inspiration for the guy to read to boot. Again classy!

PS I couldn't much sum it up any better. If it weren't for good friends I wouldn't be hunting either:wink:

W

quadrakid
03-07-2011, 06:11 PM
I see nothing wrong with wanting to hunt all available species and if thats your interest ,go for it. But by wanting to know what would be on a list for a so called BC SLAM i think your more interested in attatching your name to a list..First its the BCSLAM then it will be ,who can achieve the BCSLAM quickest,then who can do it with archery only etcetcetc. It all smacks of american style competitiveness. Want to do something real special,take a kid hunting. Don,t get me wrong,i,ve hunted for over thirty years and have taken my share of critters from caribou and moose to bear and the deer species and see nothing wrong with what you would like to do. The whole "list"of things to shoot just doesn,t sit right with me.

jml11
03-07-2011, 06:25 PM
The list I have put together looks like this.

Shiras Moose
Canadian Moose
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rosevelt Elk
Columbian Black Tail
Sitka Black Tail
Whitetail Deer
Mule Deer
Black Bear (mainland)
Black Bear (QCI or VI)
Mountain Goat
Mountain caribou
Grizzly Bear
California Bighorn Sheep
Rocky Mnt. Bighorn Sheep
Stone's Sheep
Dall's Sheep
Wolf
Coyote
Cougar
Lynx
Bobcat
Wolverine
Bison

24 different hunts to experience in the province, all very different and very exciting, and worth going after for one reason or another in my opinion.

I don't think anyone would every question your zeal for hunting, it is certainly very large which is admirable. The list you have is probably a good one to cover off all species and their 'cousins' but some aren't really all that different to hunt. Take Canada Vs Shiras moose...there isn't any difference in these 'species' and the hunt is the same. Furthermore Boone and Crockett defines the boundary between Shiras and Canada as the Canadian Border. Same would go for V.I. vs. mainland Black Bear, same style of hunting really. If you do want to break it down fine like that you might as well separate V.I. and mainland wolves as well?? And V.I. vs. Mainland Roosevelt Elk....For me, a moose is a moose and a black bear is a black bear, but that is my own opinion.

I don't really have a list personally, but certainly would look to try a variety of species. I would be more inclined to focus on trying different techniques to harvest a specific species, focusing more on the style of hunting versus the species. Mainly because I find hunting different species is only slightly different, whereas altering a style or weapon requires a significant change in the skill set used. I.E bow hunting, muzzle loader, spot and stalk, calling, tree stand etc.

As an example, with Grizzlies, I always wanted to get one in a slide during the spring, which I did last May. Grizzly career is now over! Would love to get a nice mature Muley while still hunting the timber in the snow...killed enough in cutblocks...I finally got a moose in wetland last fall, another tick off the bucket list!

I've killed plenty of Blackies (both V.I. and mainland :wink:), but would love to get one with my open sights Model 94 30/30 (would take a deer too for that matter). I am hoping to do my first caribou hunt this fall (may the LEH gods be with me :-D) and will do so on my first horseback hunt as well. This requires me to take a hiatus from sheep hunting this year but we can't do it all at once :tongue:.

Whatever system or list you have, keep at it. Your passion for learning the sport and wanting to 'try it all' is certainly a quality trait that many of us could learn from and should consider, not just in hunting but in everyday life...someone already said it but too many of us just pass the days with no real objectives or goals...I see nothing wrong with having a 'list'.

GoatGuy
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Goat Guy

Not into the slam thing. Hunt whatever makes you happy.

Opposed to naming species which doesn't exist. It's garbage.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Quadrakid I couldn't agree more. Seeing someone young or old take thier first animal is very exciting. I just took my first youth on a hunt and Even though we didn't get a yote I saw the fire in his eyes for the love of the hunt. Nothing like it.

jml11 this is the kind of information I want to hear to determine what is and isn't a different or doable animal. I don't like Sci's list or B&C's.

I did not know Shiraz moose and Yukon moose were the same species.

I am still unsure about those 3 animals at the bottom of the list, if anyone has info that would be great.

I wonder why VI really got a separate designation for black bear?

I'm sure people have duck lists, and bird lists too.

There are so many great animals in this province that I do believe one could hunt for thier whole life and not get them all. I would love to meet someone who had hunted them all. A BC resident on top of it would be even better. Still wonder if such a person is out there.

BiG Boar
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Hunt whatever makes you happy.

Opposed to naming species which doesn't exist. It's garbage.

Which species on the list don't exist in your opinion? And why? Serious question, I know you know a lot about wildlife in BC.

open-sights
03-07-2011, 07:38 PM
o I am unejucated past grade 12 and I even failed some grade 12 courses.
Did this not make anyone else bust out in laughter? Come on, that is one of the best lines ever!

Kudu's to you BigBoar, wow. I have watched a couple of douche bags try to tempt you into a bash-a-thon and have to compliment you on your abilities to maintain levity and a focus on the subject origin. Very much appreciated for the sake of this community.

open-sights
03-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Which species on the list don't exist in your opinion? And why? Serious question, I know you know a lot about wildlife in BC.
I imagine the VI B/bear and/or Shiraz, sub species listed as independant species. Regardless if your making your own list!

GoatGuy
03-07-2011, 07:47 PM

SCI's (and GOABC's) boundary for shiras moose is south of HWY #1. There is nothing to support that claim. The only place where we've identified moose to have significantly smaller antlers is in the SE corner of BC (ie Elk Valley/Flathead) and at that all the actual research we have indicates that isn't the case - it couldn't be any farther from the truth.

The supposed maximum weight for Shiras BULL moose is 370 KG. 3 COW moose captured in the Elk, Flathead and Spilly averaged 439 KG iirc. So the cows we caught, which are from the area with the smallest moose, are 82 lbs bigger than the max size for shiras bulls.

West of the EK the moose are way bigger, yet they're also under the umbrella.

Really can't understand how an organization can have the morals and ethics to support this concept.

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Shiras MooseA. a. shirasiWyoming (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming), Idaho (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho), Utah (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah), Colorado (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado), Washington (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_(U.S._state)), Oregon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon), and Montana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montana).[27] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose#cite_note-26) Smallest subspecies.

Western MooseA. a. andersoniBritish Columbia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Columbia) to western Ontario (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario), eastern Yukon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukon), Northwest Territories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Territories), southwestern Nunavut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nunavut), Michigan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan) (Upper Peninsula), northern Wisconsin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wisconsin), northern Minnesota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota), and northeastern North Dakota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota)

Wikipeda has 7 different moose sub-species. It looks to be based on region. Though it does say shiras is the smallest of the bunch. The world record was shot in Alberta in 2005 from what I just found. Near to the east kootneys. Thing definitley was over that weight restriction. Making the whole thing now BS in my eyes.

I would say lump moose together aswell as the black bears.

Any others that don't count?

bugler
03-08-2011, 09:07 PM
A moose is a moose. An alaskan bull would breed a shiras cow and produce fertile offspring. That being said there is no doubt that there are some adaptations to climate and habitat which have caused the alaska/yukon to grow much bigger bodies and antlers. So what we have in the EK is a moose that's somewhere between. Really big compared to Wyoming and small compared to Fort St John. So you can see it becomes worth a lot more moulah if we say it's the same as a Wyoming moose.

kebes
03-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Just added Big Boar to my "not a tool" list. :D

BiG Boar
03-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Anyone have any into about these ones?

Woodland caribou, is there is a huntable heard?

Coastal brown bear, B&C puts them in separate categories, any difference between that and a mountain grizzly, or is it just diet and location?

Fallow Deer is there is a place on crown land to hunt them, they are as wild as bison, which was also introduced?

proguide66
03-08-2011, 10:10 PM
A moose is a moose. An alaskan bull would breed a shiras cow and produce fertile offspring. That being said there is no doubt that there are some adaptations to climate and habitat which have caused the alaska/yukon to grow much bigger bodies and antlers. So what we have in the EK is a moose that's somewhere between. Really big compared to Wyoming and small compared to Fort St John. So you can see it becomes worth a lot more moulah if we say it's the same as a Wyoming moose.
I spent a couple weeks guideing a wildlife bio years back and what a treat that was due to his wealth of knowlege.
He explained to me that there is a name for the reason of larger bodied animals as you get closer to the northern hemisphere.
It is 'Bergmans Law' it is the body mass an animal needs to survive in more cold and nasty areas of the north as opposed to a more mild climate. This is why you can get 400 lb deer in northern Alberta ( as example) and a BIG texas or mexican whitetail is 120 to 150.Same is found in elk. Southern US hunters are always amazed at the body size of out north eastern elk...

( just a quick snip of my very limited inteligence,:tongue:)

moose2
03-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Dave
About the woodland caribou in BC as far as I know( I could be wrong ) most of the caribou in BC are woodland but becuase of the area they live in being overlapped by boone & crockets " mountain caribou map " the woodland caribou is not reconized by B & C in this province. They do have a woodland category for Newfoundland though. I think you having a goal to hunt a list of 24 BC species is great. There are many people on this site that have taken multiple species in this province and others who have mentioned shooting 60 or 70 + moose/ deer or elk . None of them have taken a thread beating like you just did. I hope you acheive your goal. Feel free to PM if you figure I could offer info for any of the species you are still looking for. I have experience with most except for cats , big horns and VI elk. Good luck with the upcoming draws and hunting season
Mike

Ambush
03-08-2011, 10:51 PM
kuiu;[/color]872605]Who cares! That SCI seems like a bunch of guys with small mans syndrome. I bet they all drive huge trucks too. Just trying to compensate for having a small wang.

Funny thing. Every time someone takes an interest in shooting "trophy" animals, some one else takes a real interest in the size of the hunter's genitalia.
Do you keep score when you golf? Oh, you must be sporting a "3 iron" and just trying to compensate.

Actually, I think kuiu saw the pic of Big Boar in his kilt and got a bad case of penis envy.

If money, time and LEH allowed, I'd consider a BC Slam a worthy goal and a great way to experience what this most game rich province has to offer.

gameslayer
03-08-2011, 11:00 PM

Based on your perspective you must not be Married :tongue:

The Dude
03-08-2011, 11:35 PM
I didn't know that about Shiras Moose.......damn.
Now the big Shiraz on my wall has been demoted to a small Canada...
LEH, here we come again! **Holding Breath**

Stone Sheep Steve
03-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Remember...it not about the destination. It's about the journey and everything that you see and experience getting to your destination...well, at least it should be for most people.

SSS