PDA

View Full Version : breasting grouse legality

Buck TraX
03-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Would i get in trouble for breasting a grouse but keeping 1 wing with me just not attached?

i have always immediatly brested rised of put in ziplock and on ice in my lunch cooler and kept a wing from each one with me till i get home is this ok?

Trapper D
03-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Would i get in trouble for breasting a grouse but keeping 1 wing with me just not attached?

i have always immediatly brested rised of put in ziplock and on ice in my lunch cooler and kept a wing from each one with me till i get home is this ok?
must be attached

cavebear
03-04-2011, 01:36 PM
I was in the bc ferries line up one time when the cos were doing inspections. This gentleman had taken his grandson bird hunting up north. The grandson had prepped one of the birds but took both wings off. Grandpa kept the wing with the breast. Every other bird in the cooler was done properlly and he still got fined. :(

Leave that wing on till it hits your house or the frypan. Or you run the risk

Buck TraX
03-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Kinda stupid if all species are open in the area. How do you guys keep em cool on a warm day for hours with wings still attached?

cavebear
03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Fill a cooler half way with ice,
Place breast in a sandwich bag
elastic band around the wing so breast is protected and wing is outside the bag.

Happy hunting :-D

Buck TraX
03-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Fill a cooler half way with ice,
Place breast in a sandwich bag
elastic band around the wing so breast is protected and wing is outside the bag.

Happy hunting :-D

Thanx cavebear guess i will change my ways this year!

Stone Sheep Steve
03-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Kinda stupid if all species are open in the area. How do you guys keep em cool on a warm day for hours with wings still attached?

A CO needs to be able to identify the species. Grouse weren't always on an aggregate bag limit. Bag limit in some areas were 5 of each.
And, of course, there are other species that may have similar breats....eg chukkar, huns etc.
If you have 10 breats in your possession did you exceed your daily limit? What species are they??

You only need one wing which shouldn't insulate it that much in a cooler.

SSS

LukaTisus
03-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Keeping the wings attached to the bird's basically the same idea as keeping some sort of sex ID on a big game animal until you get home. It's for species ID, obviously.. 'cuz how does the CO know you didn't kill a bunch of one species and keep wings from a different species on you? Not saying you'd do it, but it's just to keep the CO off your ass, it's posted up in the regs, so may as well bide by it. :)

Personally, I just stick 'em in a plastic bag in the back seat of my truck. Half the time it's cold outside and we're both drivin' down the road with the windows open anyway. Plus I'm usually home within a couple hours so they don't spoil.

Buck TraX
03-04-2011, 02:00 PM
A CO needs to be able to identify the species. Grouse weren't always on an aggregate bag limit. Bag limit in some areas were 5 of each.
And, of course, there are other species that may have similar breats....eg chukkar, huns etc.
If you have 10 breats in your possession did you exceed your daily limit? What species are they??

You only need one wing which should insulate it that much in a cooler.

SSS

Yeah i see your point now just seemed a bit much, i dident think of those people out there killing limits of grouse or taking that many but i guess it has happened hence the rule

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I was in the bc ferries line up one time when the cos were doing inspections. This gentleman had taken his grandson bird hunting up north. The grandson had prepped one of the birds but took both wings off. Grandpa kept the wing with the breast. Every other bird in the cooler was done properlly and he still got fined. :(

Leave that wing on till it hits your house or the frypan. Or you run the risk

I guess grandpa should have taught the grandson to be honest and turn himself in before the inspection?? They should have phoned the COs office immediately and turned themselves in for committing such a heinous crime.....I guess with some COs there just isn't any common sense anymore????? :evil:

ufishifish2
03-04-2011, 09:11 PM
My sentiments exactly CanuckShooter. What an utter waste of time chasing grandpa and grandson for one little grouse breast. Still gotta pick on the guys doing basically nothing wrong. Kinda reminds me of the highway police giving tickets for going 8 km/h over the speed limit. With fuel prices, pretty soon they'll have nobody left to pick on.

Singleshotneeded
03-05-2011, 12:35 PM
:-D I agree, that fine on grandpa and grandson was was pretty tacky! I got a warning the first year that reg came out for my grouse. Now I step on the wings, lift up on the legs, and the breast with wings attached comes up. I lop off a wing, and put the grouse into my cooler in groups of three or four, with the wings all together and the breasts all together. Never had an issue, but I did prefer not having that reg!

fearnodeer
03-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Always your best bet is by the books, not all co's can use there better judgment. if it is in the regs must apply, but sometimes we all make small mistakes even if what was taken was not ilegal but just not done wright.

CanuckShooter
03-05-2011, 05:54 PM
Always your best bet is by the books, not all co's can use there better judgment. if it is in the regs must apply, but sometimes we all make small mistakes even if what was taken was not ilegal but just not done wright.

They don't have to use better judgment if they are just plain stupid.....in the instance being related what was grandpa supposed to do?? It's illegal to discard the wingless breast, the kid probably didn't even do it intentionally....the CO writing a ticket on this heinous offense should have his mouth washed out with soap.

Alone in the wildernes
03-05-2011, 06:00 PM
Can you say a C.O on a POWER TRIP ?

1/2 slam
03-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Can you say a C.O on a POWER TRIP ?

No. Can you say 2 sides to a story. We have 1 and it's second hand information.

Alone in the wildernes
03-05-2011, 08:26 PM
I know their is always 2 sides of a story but if the story is true then I say POWER TRIP !

308Lover
03-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Gosh. You mean I can take a buck home with his penis cut off, and have it ready to show a CO? Too bad about the ticket, but it's a lesson for someone. I've never had a problem with spoilage and generally keep both wings on until I rinse and clean at home or in camp . I eat them next day or two, letting them age a bit.
A CO can be burned by having someone blab about not giving them a ticket for a wildlife offense--my son was chastised for cutting the head off a kokanee (the only one we had) and then putting it in the cooler for the ride home. The body was over six inches without the head and we were told there was a size restriction (but it WASN'T OUR LAKE THAT WAS RESTRICTED !) Oh well, at least he didn't fine us.Go figure.

CanuckShooter
03-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Gosh. You mean I can take a buck home with his penis cut off, and have it ready to show a CO? Too bad about the ticket, but it's a lesson for someone. I've never had a problem with spoilage and generally keep both wings on until I rinse and clean at home or in camp . I eat them next day or two, letting them age a bit.
A CO can be burned by having someone blab about not giving them a ticket for a wildlife offense--my son was chastised for cutting the head off a kokanee (the only one we had) and then putting it in the cooler for the ride home. The body was over six inches without the head and we were told there was a size restriction (but it WASN'T OUR LAKE THAT WAS RESTRICTED !) Oh well, at least he didn't fine us.Go figure.

When you clean chickens by stepping on the wings and pulling sometimes both wings break off....then what do you do?? It's not something like a deer that invites poaching for gawds sake...it was one chicken!!

A CO that would write a ticket in the circumstances described lacks proper judgment......

huntergirl270
03-06-2011, 01:11 PM
When you step on the wings and pull up on the legs all you are left with is the breast meat and the wings so it's not hard to just cut off a wing and baggy the breast with the wing outside the bag. Throw in a cooler if its a warm day and be done with it. Easy enough to cut off the other wing when you get home :)

huntergirl270
03-06-2011, 01:13 PM
When you clean chickens by stepping on the wings and pulling sometimes both wings break off....then what do you do??

This usually happens if you aren't stepping close enough to the body of the bird. If you are standing on the cartilage and bone that is attached to the breast it's actually quite hard to break it off by accident.

CanuckShooter
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
This usually happens if you aren't stepping close enough to the body of the bird. If you are standing on the cartilage and bone that is attached to the breast it's actually quite hard to break it off by accident.

It can also happen quite easily if your using a shotty and the wing bones have been shattered....especially if your a grandson with little to no experience.....

goatdancer
03-06-2011, 01:23 PM
It can also happen quite easily if your using a shotty and the wing bones have been shattered....especially if your a grandson with little to no experience.....

I can see this could happen with one wing but not both. If it's that bad, then there will be nothing left of the meat.

CanuckShooter
03-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I can see this could happen with one wing but not both. If it's that bad, then there will be nothing left of the meat.

I've seen it with new hunters....usually with one of the first birds they do, they end up with wings and head on the ground and the rest dangling from the legs.....:confused:....the question is WHAT do you do?? call yourself in and report? turn it into a 'chukar'?? or like grandpa did, bring along the wing??

Manglinmike
03-06-2011, 01:37 PM
or throw it in a pan and eat the evidice

Singleshotneeded
03-06-2011, 02:13 PM
As Huntergirl said, if you step close to the body and pull up gradually, you might lose one wing but very rarely two. I haven't had that happen yet, and I usually use a shotgun for grouse. If it does, light a fire, put the bird on a stick with some salt n pepper, and roast it for lunch!

dana
03-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Have had it happen many a time using 22 hollowpoints that both wings rip off when you pull up on the legs, especially if you have a high shoulder shot. I just keep both wings in the same baggie with the breast. Any CO with common sense would totally understand what has happened and can piece together what wings go with what birds. If you did encounter that one CO without common sense and he gave you a ticket, pretty easy one to fight. I betcha the CO wouldn't even show up for the court date on something so minor.

250 sav
03-06-2011, 08:05 PM
When my son started hunting had a couple times when he pulled both wings off the grouse trying to gut it so I left the head attached.

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 11:21 AM

You are right keep one wing on the grouse your good to go legall..