PDA

View Full Version : Training collars??

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 10:26 AM
We are having an issue with one of our dogs always mouthing/biting at our other dogs and are thinking that a shock collar might be the answer as nothing else we try seems to be working?? Would these collars work to discourage this behavior?? Where would be the best place to shop for a used one $150-$600 new seems pretty pricey for our needs??

bopper
03-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Probably not a good way to go unless you have instruction in the proper introduction and use of the collar. Improperly used could exacerbate the problem; you would probably have to have the collar on the dog for several weeks, and be there with the dog. An hour with a reputable trainer would likely show you how to deal with this problem, and correct it, without having to use an e-collar.
Good luck with your dogs.
Bopper

Iron Glove
03-04-2011, 12:46 PM
We have a private trainer come in once a week to deal with some issues that our two mutts have.
We did discuss training collars and she suggested the citronella "spray" collars for barking. We will try them.
For other issues we discussed the "shock" collars and to her credit she said that she is not experienced enough in that area and strongly recommended getting advice from an "expert" like Bopper says.

akyne
03-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Probably not a good way to go unless you have instruction in the proper introduction and use of the collar. Improperly used could exacerbate the problem; you would probably have to have the collar on the dog for several weeks, and be there with the dog. An hour with a reputable trainer would likely show you how to deal with this problem, and correct it, without having to use an e-collar.
Good luck with your dogs.
Bopper

I'd have to disagree. We've had a shock collar for our GSP for many years and it is as effective as a rolled up newspaper on remote control. While many people use them solely for field work, I found it was very effective in eliminating a few of her bad habits, especially in circumstances where she knew better but decided to think for herself rather than follow my command. I only had to use the electronic "stimulation" once or twice before she caught on and began responding immediately to the audible tone. She is not at all fearful of the collar and always gets excited when it comes out because it means we are going somewhere fun!

The model we purchased is the Tritronics Sport Basic G3 which we purchased from Cabela's. It has good range (1/2 mile I believe), is fully submersible, and has sustained no shortage of abuse over the years. We had one warranty issue that was dealt with immediately over the phone with a lovely gal from Tritronics in Arizona, and we otherwise have had no other problems.

labguy
03-04-2011, 01:23 PM
I'd have to disagree. We've had a shock collar for our GSP for many years and it is as effective as a rolled up newspaper on remote control. While many people use them solely for field work, I found it was very effective in eliminating a few of her bad habits, especially in circumstances where she knew better but decided to think for herself rather than follow my command. I only had to use the electronic "stimulation" once or twice before she caught on and began responding immediately to the audible tone. She is not at all fearful of the collar and always gets excited when it comes out because it means we are going somewhere fun!

The model we purchased is the Tritronics Sport Basic G3 which we purchased from Cabela's. It has good range (1/2 mile I believe), is fully submersible, and has sustained no shortage of abuse over the years. We had one warranty issue that was dealt with immediately over the phone with a lovely gal from Tritronics in Arizona, and we otherwise have had no other problems.

Just so you're aware Akyne, your disagreeing with a very good professional retriever trainer ( and a very good man)who has trained hundreds of retrievers over the last 45 plus years.

Doug has trained or had a hand in training, some of the best competative retreivers that North America has produced.

If I was looking for dog training advice, Bopper is the only person I'd listen to on this forum.

Foxton Gundogs
03-04-2011, 01:46 PM
My take on it is 1 IF u r looking for a used collar cheap you probably dont have the E-collar knowlage to make it work (no insult or offense ment there just an observation) 2. As was stated before it could(and probably will) add to yopur problem as when you "hit" the offender whille bitting or nipping its kennel mate it will likely link the "shot" to a retaliation by the other dog and could very likely spur an aggresive response compoundig your problem.

akyne
03-04-2011, 02:04 PM
Just so you're aware Akyne, your disagreeing with a very good professional retriever trainer ( and a very good man)who has trained hundreds of retrievers over the last 45 plus years.

Doug has trained or had a hand in training, some of the best competative retreivers that North America has produced.

If I was looking for dog training advice, Bopper is the only person I'd listen to on this forum.

Fair enough, I'm certainly no expert, just relating what has worked for me and resulted in a happy dog / happy owner. Apologies to Bopper and the O.P if this resulted in misinformation. I'm still getting used to all the personalities on the site and I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes, especially when there are resident experts at hand!

Thanks for setting me straight, Labguy. :-D

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 04:23 PM
My take on it is 1 IF u r looking for a used collar cheap you probably dont have the E-collar knowlage to make it work (no insult or offense ment there just an observation) 2. As was stated before it could(and probably will) add to yopur problem as when you "hit" the offender whille bitting or nipping its kennel mate it will likely link the "shot" to a retaliation by the other dog and could very likely spur an aggresive response compoundig your problem.

He isn't hurting them much now, but I am concerned that one of these days the older dogs are going to bite back. He doesn't pull his stunts with the cats as he knows they will swat him....he ignores anything we do or say, so was considering giving him a little zap to deter his actions.

I had heard good comments about using them for minor behaviour modifications like akyne mentions.

Foxton Gundogs
03-04-2011, 05:06 PM
He isn't hurting them much now, but I am concerned that one of these days the older dogs are going to bite back. He doesn't pull his stunts with the cats as he knows they will swat him....he ignores anything we do or say, so was considering giving him a little zap to deter his actions.

I had heard good comments about using them for minor behaviour modifications like akyne mentions.
Personally and I've been working with gundogs since I was kid and E-collars for about 20 yrs. I advise against it BUT if you insist on trying borrow a collar if you can read up on its use and make sure you are persistant with it it will only have a chance of working IF you get him every time and dogs have been known to figure out its the collar thats why they make dummy collars.

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Personally and I've been working with gundogs since I was kid and E-collars for about 20 yrs. I advise against it BUT if you insist on trying borrow a collar if you can read up on its use and make sure you are persistant with it it will only have a chance of working IF you get him every time and dogs have been known to figure out its the collar thats why they make dummy collars.

Are there any other alternatives besided hiring a professional trainer?? A trainer would have to live at our home and let the dogs in and out of the house, it could be an expensive proposition....maybe a muzzle and a bullwhip??

edit:[not serious about bullwhip]

ruger#1
03-04-2011, 05:19 PM

I had heard good comments about using them for minor behaviour modifications like akyne mentions.He needs to be biten back to be put in his place. I have two E collars. I do not use them much. And like said they be come wise to them Hence the dummy collar. You can ruin your dog if you do not do it the right way.

labguy
03-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Fair enough, I'm certainly no expert, just relating what has worked for me and resulted in a happy dog / happy owner. Apologies to Bopper and the O.P if this resulted in misinformation. I'm still getting used to all the personalities on the site and I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes, especially when there are resident experts at hand!

Thanks for setting me straight, Labguy. :-D

Thanks for not taking offense. :)

Your original post was well stated and I'm sure your advice worked well for you and your dog for the situations you described.

Canuck Shooter wanted to use an e collar for some mouthing/biting behaviors by one of his dogs.

As Foxton Gundogs pointed out, the use of an e collar for this issue, may cause increased aggression and make the problem worse. (especially with a poorly timed correction)

Internet advice does have it's place. I think we all give our opinions/advice with the best intentions. The problems arise by not knowing who is giving the advice, what their background is and what their experience and knowlege is.

To Canuck Shooter: If you haven't already done so, a good start would be to teach your dog that "no" means "stop whatever your doing right now" and be prepared and commmited to consistently enforce that command. He'll get the hang of it that you mean business.

"No" is by far the most important word in any dogs vocabulary. Good Luck.

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 05:25 PM
He needs to be biten back to be put in his place. I have two E collars. I do not use them much. And like said they be come wise to them Hence the dummy collar. You can ruin your dog if you do not do it the right way.

He isn't a hunting dog.....btw...

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks for not taking offense. :)

Your original post was well stated and I'm sure your advice worked well for you and your dog for the situations you described.

Canuck Shooter wanted to use an e collar for some mouthing/biting behaviors by one of his dogs.

As Foxton Gundogs pointed out, the use of an e collar for this issue, may cause increased aggression and make the problem worse. (especially with a poorly timed correction)

Internet advice does have it's place. I think we all give our opinions/advice with the best intentions. The problems arise by not knowing who is giving the advice, what their background is and what their experience and knowlege is.

To Canuck Shooter: If you haven't already done so, a good start would be to teach your dog that "no" means "stop whatever your doing right now" and be prepared and commmited to consistently enforce that command. He'll get the hang of it that you mean business.

"No" is by far the most important word in any dogs vocabulary. Good Luck.

Thanks for that...been working on him !!! :-D

ruger#1
03-04-2011, 05:32 PM
He isn't a hunting dog.....btw...I didn't think I said anything about hunting dogs. You better do some more research.

CanuckShooter
03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
I didn't think I said anything about hunting dogs. You better do some more research.

I surmised you thought he is a hunting dog when you said 'you can ruin your dog'....

ruger#1
03-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I surmised you thought he is a hunting dog when you said 'you can ruin your dog'....You can ruin any dog with an e collar. My buddy wanted to use mine to stop his dog barking. I told him the commands and how to use it. Now when he uses his tv remote or his remote car opener the dog cowers away. he told me he never used the commands.If you do get one. Please use caution with it. After all your dog is your best freind.

Tron
03-04-2011, 09:28 PM
If the dog is a pup the best and easiest way for the dog to learn is to be taught by the other dogs. They will put him in his or her place when needed. If it is playing and the other dogs are ok with it, don't worry about it. I would let the other dogs teach it the lesson. It is going to have to learn some dog to dog manners/etiquette and the older dogs will teach it. It may be some growls or some quick nips from the older dogs. Let this happen but if there is a fight get in between them and separate them without any speaking.

Cdn-Redneck
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
We have a private trainer come in once a week to deal with some issues that our two mutts have.
We did discuss training collars and she suggested the citronella "spray" collars for barking. We will try them.
For other issues we discussed the "shock" collars and to her credit she said that she is not experienced enough in that area and strongly recommended getting advice from an "expert" like Bopper says.

My daughter's ex-boyfriend used the citronella collar for his little kick dog. it worked well but goes off if other dogs bark, so it can be confusing. She knew not to bark with the collar on, but when it was off she still barked but not as much.

britman101
03-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Not knowing the full story, but I would say you have a social/ pack problem with the dog in question. If the dog has taken it upon himself to display high levels of aggression against one of your other dogs, I would seek the help of a professional trainer who deals with problem dogs. E collars have their place in training, but in a case like yours, it is going to take far more work than just using an E collar on the dog.