PDA

View Full Version : Anyone had a good experience with a C.O

fearnodeer
03-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I thought that I would throw this out there because everytime i have run into one it has not been bad but not good. Two of the people that i know have had to shot grizzly's because they were charged by them and they reported it said that they would never do it again because they felt like they were the criminal's. I hope that a C.O is watching this form because i thought that they should help people, to educated people that are honest not ridicule them. Anyways they have a job to due i would just like to think that they are are on are side not to think that we are against them but with them. What due you think has anyone had a goo experience with one, please share i would lke to know.

Alone in the wildernes
03-03-2011, 07:03 PM
The C.O out fo Dease Lake is a good guy gave me a lift out from the Klappan Rail Grade mud hole back in about 130k ripped his winch apart trying to get me out.
Hunting partner cut his deer tag and his moose tag at the same time they were stuck together C.O sigend the deer tag good to go.

BlacktailStalker
03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Never had a bad experience in person but I've also never done anything wrong and have never been rude to them either.
The last one I met was 3 years ago, random stop on the backroads.
We got to talking about reloading and then he was asking about hounds.
Nice guy.

I think some guys automatically take up a defensive stance as if to start defending themselves immediately like they have no right to ask questions or stop you... they DO have a job to do ! If a guy starts acting that way, I think most people would assume they've done something wrong so might start their 'interrogation.'

I did have CO who was a real dick head pm me on here and I told him where to go.
He threatened to come pay me a visit because he didn't like my comment about my thoughts on wolves. Must have an english/grammar major and specialize in online interpretations :roll:

Not for a second would I not think that some COs, RCMP or whatever, don't fall out of "line" or power trip and there is nothing wrong with standing your ground... helps if you have a witness and a firm understanding of the law (more importantly your rights) and nothing to hide.
A strong legal arm in the family doesn't hurt either should they decide to try and enforce their wrongful accusations.

What pissed me off about the guy on here is the fact they're wasting $ to an extent, I've called in a couple poachers over the years and was blatantly told they don't have the funds or manpower to do anything about it :confused:
I fully imagine some people get on here and admit to illegal harvests or methods in one way or another but to turn down solid tips on field incidents that either just happened or were happening at the time, is messed up priorities IMO.

swampthing
03-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I think COs have to deal with a lot of lousy people. I have been caught breaking the rules in the regs without even knowing I am doing anything wrong. This was mainly when I was younger but the rules are black and white. I have been let off of things and I remember being fined for removing evidence of sex on one of my first deer harvest. I think COs like cops, see the worst in people most of the time and it makes them hard. It is easy to not follow all the rules and not really know you are doing anything wrong. There is a CO in the east koots that is a badass, jerk, and that is unanimous, but there is all kinds of people out there in every trade that are jerks. I have run into COs a couple times when out with my young boys while being checked by the CO, I explained to the boys why the COs were checking us and it turned into very positive experiences. I cant complain about them but I also think cops should be able to beat the crap out anybody they want. I hope your interactions with the COs in the future are more positve. I have met one in PG right now about 3 times. I think his name is Rob. Now that he knows me a bit, I look forward to seeing him as it is mainly just hunting talk now.

beni
03-03-2011, 07:29 PM
There have been some incidents with CO's in the area that I hunt. I think that the one CO has moved on and someone took his position thankfully. The new guy was a bit of a hardass when he first started but has really come around.

The first CO has reached into peoples vehicles without consent/permission. Reach into my vehicle without my permission and you'll be pulling a stub back. Hahaha

BromBones
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Yes, have had plenty of good dealings with COs. Most of the ones I've met are decent guys who like to hunt and fish as much as the next man. I find if you can strike up a general conversation about hunting or guns or whatever, they'll relax a bit and usually makes for a better experience.

Some have been complete dickheads on a powertrip though. Have ran into a few younger ones just getting started, and it was a pretty sad to see the attitude that they show towards people. Hopefully they learn that being an arrogant asshole won't get them too far in life.

Big Lew
03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Have had many interactions with CO's throughout the years, both on routine checks, and responding to my witnessing poaching activity. Also used to go fishing with a senior CO and his son-in-law. All but one were very respective, patient and professional. The one exception was at the compulsory Cache Creek Game check many years ago. When I pulled up and parked, he came to the driver's door and asked if I had anything. I said I had, so he instructed me to go inside and report. My guns were in a gun rack in the cab. Because I had a large, protective dog in the cab, I asked him if he would like to inspect the guns while I was there. He said no, he'll check them after I report. I got 20 ft. away before I heard the roar of the dog. The CO had opened the door and then slammed it into my dog's face. I gave him hell, locked the door, and reported him to his superior. (came through a week later, and as soon as the dog saw him, he tried to crawl through the window after him....boy did that CO run!)

bugler
03-03-2011, 08:05 PM
I haven't had problems with the local guys but they do tend to approach you like they are pretty sure you've done something wrong. A friend and I were bowhunting antelope in Montana a few years ago and were blown away by how helpful and friendly they were there. Stopped at our camp, drug out maps and drew on them places to look and gave us the maps to keep. As they said, "We're not just here to hand out tickets you know". I always thought that our CO's could take a lesson from those guys.

landphil
03-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I've had pleasant, non-negative experiences, but one was downright funny - He was obviousy waiting for a problem bear at the local rural landfill where I used to live, and was fast asleep in his truck when I pulled in - but I managed to wake him as I roared out. Watching him jolt up stunned and confused was pretty funny. Before that, I thought about shaking the truck from behind, but decided against it.:mrgreen:

Crimson Viking
03-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I have run into CO's in several areas in the province, and all my experiences have been good. I have found , if you treat them with respect u get it back.

Phreddy
03-03-2011, 08:19 PM
There are old C.O.'s and there are C.O.'s with an attitude. Fortunately there don't seem to be old C.O.'s with an attitude.
Other than one young C.O. with an attitude that I ran into in Clearwater in the '80's, I've found most of them to be pretty stand up people.
Mind you, it's a lot like the difference between a 24 hour roadside suspension and an impaired driving charge.
If you are hoping for a road side suspension, I would politely roll down the window, raining or not, and have my drivers licence and registration ready. I would answer the questions in a polite and forthright manner.
On the other hand, if I wanted to guarantee an impaired charge, if it's stormy outside, I'd wait until the cop made it up to the side window, roll the window down about 1" and yell at him, "How come you f@*#ing pigs are always hasseling me?"

RJ
03-03-2011, 08:32 PM
Just remember, their job is to find something to charge you with.
I always show guys respect, but am always careful with my words.
(same goes for police)

Caveman
03-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Yes I have! I was hunting alone in the Atlin area. Midday stopped to do a little grayling fishing at the mouth of Surprise Lake. My rifle resting on the quad and I was standing on the base of the bridge when the CO pulled up. I reeled my gear in, walked up the greet him. I started the conversation with "just the guy I want to talk to" After the usual check of licenses and tags we chatted a bit and he gave me some local direction where I would be best to find a moose. Just before he was to leave he noted my rod with a 3prong hook on my Panther Martin and he said, "Just so you know, All of region 6 is single barbless" I thanked him and said I noticed a package by a campfire and used them because I had a few. He then left on his way wishing me good luck. I don't know if the fact I had no dead fish on shore saved me from a fine, but I give him credit for educating me rather than fining me. By the way I caught some beauty grayling that day and got my moose several days later.

1/2 slam
03-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Just remember, their job is to find something to charge you with.
I always show guys respect, but am always careful with my words.
(same goes for police)

No it is not. Their job, among other things, is to make sure you are in compliance with the law.

Squamch
03-03-2011, 08:37 PM
I had a young RCMP officer demanding to know where my guns were, after I'd told him I was bowhunting (during rifle season). He was getting really exercised and a CO came up, guided the Mountie away, and came back to my truck, checked my liscence, acknowledged that there was only one bow, and it was ok that my friend who was with me didn't have a hunting liscence. Then he sent us on our way.
Never had any other interactions with them while hunting. One of my dads partners had everything stolen out of the trailer and off his quad in the Williams lake (I think?) CO's office parking lot.

RJ
03-03-2011, 08:40 PM
No it is not. Their job, among other things, is to make sure you are in compliance with the law.

Wise guy eh :wink:
They aren't out there to have a friendly conversation, they are doing an investigation when they talk to you. Act polite, and carry on....

huntersam
03-03-2011, 08:58 PM
only c.o i have ever come a crossed in the bush was nice but a freaking idiot. He was stopping people on the road and was telling us that the deer were scarce in that area at that time, he then went on to tell us we should go try over in a different spot. He was completely unaware that the area he was telling us to try was actually closed that late in the season and after we proved him wrong with a synopsis and a backroad map book he told us everything was fine we could keep moving.

Made me wonder how many people earlier that day he told to try that area that may of actually headed over there

heyblast
03-03-2011, 09:00 PM
Never had a problem. They,re doing thier job that we pay them for and they get my respect.

Plincker
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
The majority of CO's are hunter/anglers themselves and unlike other law enforcement officers, they pretty much all have a diploma or degree in resource management and are very well educated.

Every conversation I have had has for the most part been pleasant and informative. They might be in a uniform, but at the end of the day they are just people and like all people, showing them respect goes along way.

proguide66
03-03-2011, 09:19 PM
There are old C.O.'s and there are C.O.'s with an attitude. Fortunately there don't seem to be old C.O.'s with an attitude.
Other than one young C.O. with an attitude that I ran into in Clearwater in the '80's, I've found most of them to be pretty stand up people.
Mind you, it's a lot like the difference between a 24 hour roadside suspension and an impaired driving charge.
If you are hoping for a road side suspension, I would politely roll down the window, raining or not, and have my drivers licence and registration ready. I would answer the questions in a polite and forthright manner.
On the other hand, if I wanted to guarantee an impaired charge, if it's stormy outside, I'd wait until the cop made it up to the side window, roll the window down about 1" and yell at him, "How come you f@*#ing pigs are always hasseling me?"
I think I ran into the same one in Clearwater a couple times. That guy shouldnt have a gun..he freaks me out. Him being a CO doesnt effect my feelings for 'CO's but that guy shouldnt be where he is in life...'short guy' ? glasses? real abuseive little bugger and called us " non residents coming up here and shooting all our big alpine bucks" ect ect...then another year I was hunting alone up Mad River , he and a young native guy came up , I was freindly and polite , he asked to look in my truck I said " sure" he dumped everything out of my glove box onto the floor and pretty well ransacked the inside of my truck:confused::confused:...weird experience , but after seeing him seething upon seeing a 193" buck in my truck the year before I knew to keep my mouth shut knowing he was a few marbles short of a full bag.

Other than that , I know many CO's from here to the Yukon , all great hard working guys.Like the other poster said , treat em with respect , you get it back.
I know I wouldnt want the challeneges of that job , its a damned 'free for all' in most of our province with under staffing and govt $$...and as well having to attend 400 frikkin blackbear calls each a year...would be frustrating for the guys who really want to make a difference.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Let's see...I've encountered CO's from Squamish to Muncho Lake...and I don't think I have ever had a negative experience with a CO.:confused:

Our local CO's in Squamish/Pemberton and Lillooet very professional, courteous and helpful. And good to shoot the shit with, too!:-D

Even when I got a "warning" in 2009, I'd classify it as a positive experience.

frenchbar
03-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Let's see...I've encountered CO's from Squamish to Muncho Lake...and I don't think I have ever had a negative experience with a CO.:confused:

Our local CO's in Squamish/Pemberton and Lillooet very professional, courteous and helpful. And good to shoot the shit with, too!:-D

x2 ..never had a bad experience with a C.O...their just average people out doing their jobs.We could use a few more out there imo .

greenhorn
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
I've only ever seen them once, and it was a good experience.

We were in the Nitinat area during early spring bear season. They rolled up on us and wanted to check licenses rifles etc. They chatted with us for a bit, then asked if we were doing any fishing in the Nitinat. I told him most of the river was closed (which it was) and he looked kinda surprised. Not sure if he was trying to trick us...

They seemed nice enough:mrgreen:

Flingin' Sticks
03-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I've been checked a few times, and I've never had a bad experience.

Last time I was stopped, he asked me to step out so he could check the rifles laying across the back seat of my truck. He reached in...and then the dog popped up off the floor. He pulled out of there pretty quick. The dog would have been fine, but I had to laugh at the guy for not checking first.

Alone in the wildernes
03-03-2011, 09:47 PM
Since this is a nice to your C.O post I will not bash them here.

Manglinmike
03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
I hunt all over the province and have had dealings with cos from V I to Watson lake and over into the EK,all good ,those boyes have a tough job and they are out to protect the sport that I love,would never say a nagitive word about them!!!

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 10:07 PM
Actually, I encountered a youngish RCMP officer near Wells that told me that he helps out the CO's in Quesnel with regards to hunters heading into the area, and he was also a top notch guy. He pulled up behind me because I pulled over and had to pee, so I was doing it on the side of the road. No, it wasn't prudent but I had drank lots of water on my drive and just HAD to go!:-D

He initially thought I was peeing because I was full of beer, but after a quick chat we straightened things out. Checked my HL and asked to see my guns , which were buried, but I said I would dig them out if he wanted. He said, no dont' bother, as long as they aren't loaded- which they were not. Then we chatted about hunting and he gave me a few pointers.

So, while he wasn't a CO, he was acting as one, and again, that encounter was positive.

bearhunter338-06
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
I had one run in with a CO. Tuned out my interpretation of the regulations was different from his. He called my hunting buddy to confirm the story (I could hear my good buddy over the phone telling the same story, then my good buddy say just book him anyways). I got a $140 fine and sent on my way. Fine paid the next day.

If your not 100% of some regulation phone your local co and confirm it. saves a bit of hassle.

proguide66
03-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Actually, I encountered a youngish RCMP officer near Wells that told me that he helps out the CO's in Quesnel with regards to hunters heading into the area, and he was also a top notch guy. He pulled up behind me because I pulled over and had to pee, so I was doing it on the side of the road. No, it wasn't prudent but I had drank lots of water on my drive and just HAD to go!:-D

He initially thought I was peeing because I was full of beer, but after a quick chat we straightened things out. Checked my HL and asked to see my guns , which were buried, but I said I would dig them out if he wanted. He said, no dont' bother, as long as they aren't loaded- which they were not. Then we chatted about hunting and he gave me a few pointers.

So, while he wasn't a CO, he was acting as one, and again, that encounter was positive.
Are you seriously trying to tell us you "werent full of beer' ??..wtf???:-?

troutseeker
03-03-2011, 10:18 PM
When I lived in Victoria and fly fished the Cowichan river a LOT, I kept on running into the same CO. Nearly every time I was there. An every time he would ask for my license and check my hook and line... He never missed a chance to check me, and sometimes it was four days in a row! Lol. That guy never smiled and was hardcore...

I used to joke about him with my CO buddy I played hockey with in Sooke.

digger dogger
03-03-2011, 10:20 PM
I got alot of the info about the Tat the 1st time we went up from a C.O in Atlin, got info for the Kleado boat launch and what to expect on the Muskwa, Tuchodi, from a C.O.
I got a warning in the koots for leaning my shot gun againt my buddies truck (loaded) in turkey camp. also got a warning for losing my griz skull.(failing to comply with compulsary inspection). had pics and gave my story and I recieved a written warning.(always put C.I articles INSIDE you back pack)
If you give respect, you get respect!
I got the info for the cat hunt I am giving to the big game contest winners, from a C.O, who I ran into the other day.He was very nice and pleasant young man to meet face to face.

Kody94
03-03-2011, 10:22 PM
I've had lots of good experiences with CO's.

Best one was while I was dragging a nice whitetail buck back to my truck, along a road r/w. I just about got it back to the truck when the CO pulled up. He congratulated me on a nice buck and helped me load it in the back of my truck. Never even asked to see my licence and tags. :)

Only had one negative experience, but it got straightened out fairly quickly. The guy was just trying to do his job, and presumably hadn't been at it long enough to know how to properly treat people.

Phil
03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
I met a good CO in Fort Nelson last summer. He stopped us for a regular check and gave us some helpfull pointers. We bumped into him three times while we there and he was very friendly to me and my son. He new we were legal but seemed to want to check up and say hi. I can't remember his name but with all the bad luck we had on that trip I was glad he was around.

Fisher-Dude
03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
The first CO has reached into peoples vehicles without consent/permission. Reach into my vehicle without my permission and you'll be pulling a stub back. Hahaha

Hey Toughy, a CO doesn't NEED your permission to search your vehicle. He has more powers in that respect than a cop.

Just so you know, and before you do something stupid that lands you in jail for assaulting a Peace Officer.

Search without warrant

93 A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant,
(a) search a person whom he or she believes on reasonable grounds has in his or her possession any wildlife or fish killed, taken or possessed in violation of this Act or the regulations, or about to be illegally exported,
(b) stop and search a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft, boat or other conveyance, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is being carried by a person, and
(c) enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located.

Will
03-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Yep they searched the wall tent without permission when noone was in camp and took a Buds Rifle that was stored under the cot......the accompanying RCMP officer then charged my Friend with improper storage of a firearm.:neutral:
Great crime fighters that day no doubt about it.... :rolleyes:

I have actually nice things to say about every CO I've ran into while in the bush.....I'm respectful and have always been treated the same.

RJ
03-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Hey Toughy, a CO doesn't NEED your permission to search your vehicle. He has more powers in that respect than a cop.

Just so you know, and before you do something stupid that lands you in jail for assaulting a Peace Officer.

Search without warrant

93 A conservation officer or constable may, without a warrant,
(a) search a person whom he or she believes on reasonable grounds has in his or her possession any wildlife or fish killed, taken or possessed in violation of this Act or the regulations, or about to be illegally exported,
(b) stop and search a motor vehicle, private or chartered aircraft, boat or other conveyance, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is being carried by a person, and
(c) enter and search a shop, public market, storehouse, garage, restaurant, hotel, eating house or camp, in or on which he or she believes on reasonable grounds that wildlife or fish is located.

Im just wondering, If you're driving an open box pickup, would a CO have reasonable grounds to believe you're carrying wildlife in your cab with you?

Fisher-Dude
03-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Im just wondering, If you're driving an open box pickup, would a CO have reasonable grounds to believe you're carrying wildlife in your cab with you?

Yes. You might have a chicken breast or guppy in your beer cooler on the front seat.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 11:37 PM
When I lived in Victoria and fly fished the Cowichan river a LOT, I kept on running into the same CO. Nearly every time I was there. An every time he would ask for my license and check my hook and line... He never missed a chance to check me, and sometimes it was four days in a row! Lol. That guy never smiled and was hardcore...

In Lillooet, I got my HL and tags and LEH checked once- after that the CO woudl just drop by to chat and ask me if I had seen a blue truck or green truck or whatever.:-D

Buck TraX
03-04-2011, 12:46 AM
got checked while hunting in the wack this year they were resonable guys and checked our core and hunting lisences made us show them our guns were unloaded as the rifles were in the truck we were having a coffee break ,and also checked our registration for the firearms we had i keep mine in my gun case luckily after the check was done the co said he hunted the particular area a bit and gave us some tips .

Jedcote50
03-04-2011, 12:57 AM
Most every encounter I've had with a CO has been positive. In the last few years I have been thru numerous game checks and I'm glad to see them step up enforcement. One story I know of occurred about 20 years ago, an older friend of mine was road hunting by himself on a Sunday up Bear Lake Main and enjoying a beer at the time, he was stopped and the CO was rather creative with the discipline. He confiscated his rifle and made him lock up his truck then he took his keys. He left him on his own to walk out or until he hitched a ride. As it was a nice day and about 3:00 pm it wasn't too bad of a deal, better than than alternative. He only walked about 10 km before he got a ride into town. The next day he went into the CO's office and retrieved his keys and rifle with no questions asked. I don't think that would happen these days but back then it sure taught all of us who heard the story a good lesson and reinforced our respect for our local CO.

Gateholio
03-04-2011, 01:13 AM
Most every encounter I've had with a CO has been positive. In the last few years I have been thru numerous game checks and I'm glad to see them step up enforcement. One story I know of occurred about 20 years ago, an older friend of mine was road hunting by himself on a Sunday up Bear Lake Main and enjoying a beer at the time, he was stopped and the CO was rather creative with the discipline. He confiscated his rifle and made him lock up his truck then he took his keys. He left him on his own to walk out or until he hitched a ride. As it was a nice day and about 3:00 pm it wasn't too bad of a deal, better than than alternative. He only walked about 10 km before he got a ride into town. The next day he went into the CO's office and retrieved his keys and rifle with no questions asked. I don't think that would happen these days but back then it sure taught all of us who heard the story a good lesson and reinforced our respect for our local CO.

My guess is that your friend had more than one beer that day.:-D

I think that these days CO's wouldn't dream of something like that, due to lawsuits. They would either deem the guy not impaired but having open liquor so write him a ticket (and maybe seize guns) or deem him impaired and arrest him.

They would have a "duty of care" and not allow a drunk person to wander down the road in case he got run over or fell off a cliff.

I long for the days of common sense justice.:-|

mungojeerie
03-04-2011, 01:36 AM
I've had nothing but good experiences with COs. Have fished along side them, ran into them while they are off and hunting themselves, had them stop me on roads, on foot, by sled and by boat to check my fishing and hunting licences and have always had a positive experience even when in the wrong.

I lived in Ont for a few years as a kid, when I was 16 I got nicked by a CO/OPP combo (they team up out there to cover every aspect of the law) for two things, first not being in direct accompaniment with an adult which was required and secondly we left our truck unlocked by accident and there was a bird gun stashed in there, so I got read the riot act for leaving an unsecured firearm unattended. CO told me he didn't want to see me with a gun the rest of the day... was good for me.

My buddys girlfriend got nailed ice fishing a few years ago in the boo... she was with us and not fishing but she happened to hold his rod for a few min as he had a smoke just as the co's were watching from the bush... gave her a ticket and were very friendly with us... they withdrew the charge later on. Poor buggers... one of em had to ride his personal sled lol.

My ex step dad is a bit of a dick cop in Toronto, I can remember going ice fishing with him and asking him if he had a licence and he said yes, 3 hours later after running all over hells half acre trying to find minnows for a buck cheaper a dozen (cheap bugger) we finally made it out on the lake... I drilled the holes and was just lowering my line when the CO came rippin out on his sled. Step dad got nailed for no licence and when asked to produce ID for his fine he proudly displayed his badge or as he always called it his "get off scott free card" I could hardly contain my laughter when the CO said "Huh, your the third one today" and continued on writing the ticket.... step dad was fumin and despite my day of ice fishing ending just as it was starting I was beaming inside that he got what he deserved.

proguide66
03-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Humans are humans , different labels for professions...here's a first hand story of a bad one yrs back who used to be a CO on the island then out of Lilloette before he got canned.
His last name starts with a Mcg hes a 'real beuty'. met himm a few times as I know his son.
His son is married to a long time freind of mine.
anyway...he used to confiscate guns and sell them all the time and as well his son would recall with what seemed 'great fondness' of when his dad would take him pitlamping for deer at night with the patrol truck:roll: cause " who would catch us,hahaha".....the old prick is fat and miserable now , too bad he was able to be in a position to abuse for so long.Thank god there werent tasers back then , might be missing a few outdoors people...:evil:

sawmill
03-04-2011, 09:46 AM

Knew one like that up north,a power tripping asshat.He would pull you over twice a day sometimes.I cured him of that by making him sign the back of my licsence every time.After about 8 signatures I told him this is harrasment and here is the proof.He pissed off a lot of guys there and was finally transfered.

BCsniper
03-04-2011, 10:10 AM
First time hunting in Cranbrook stopped by the CO's office and had a chat with CO Visintine(spelling might be off) to explain where I was thinking of going. He provided some good information about where to go and why. Got stopped later that trip by another CO and they checked our gear and tags, without issue.

Later that trip there was a plane flying low over our hunting area so we called the CO Visitine to ask if this was normal or if it was someone trying to disturb the hunt. He was very helpful and provided information on the situation and we were good to go. I heard he retired but for the last 2 years he was a great CO to deal with and we never had any issues. Also got stopped by 2 CO cadets that work along side the CO's. They were very helpful and very easy to deal with.

snareman1234
03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
had a couple bad experiences with CO's, But in general, very good.

And one CO in chilliwack got me some great work experience with a biologist trapping wolverine, and he gave me some hunting and trapping spots lol!

budismyhorse
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
Killed my first ram and was so jacked up that I cut the date out of the region section of the tag..........brought it to the CO in Cranbrook and explained the story. He signed it, no problem.

Then he said to take a few deep breaths next time ;)

I've still never met a "power tripping CO".........

03-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I've ran into CO's maybe 5 times. Just checking me. All have been from "Just doing their job" to a great help to me. Non bad. Had a guy in Creston that really helped me understand the locations of a few road closures. To the point that a road i thought was closed was actually open.

non bad

sparkes3
03-04-2011, 01:51 PM
the only time i had a problem it was my fault

Peter Pepper
03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
"[quote=Phreddy;870805]There are old C.O.'s and there are C.O.'s with an attitude. Fortunately there don't seem to be old C.O.'s with an attitude."

Wonder why the ones with attitude don't get old...

juiceterboost
03-04-2011, 05:15 PM
I have had nothing but good experiences with co's they have a job to do and they do it to the best of their ability. Im sure they would hand out maps and stuff if they had a budget for it. Ive heard from CO's that they need RCMP and DFO to come along and use their cards to spring for gas.

Bow Walker
03-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Not gonna read through 49 other posts. Just gonna relate my experiences.

Twice been stopped/confronted by C.O.'s Both times have been positive experiences. No attitude, and plenty of politeness - on both sides.

Thumbs up to the C.O.s

warnniklz
03-04-2011, 05:30 PM
Haven't had a bad experience with a CO...

CO Gray from the Quesnel area was the best I've dealt with. Me and my brother were out with my grandpa near Williams Lake (really near but in a hunting area) and he stopped us checked everything out. All was good and he was excited to see me and my brother out (we were probably 16 and 15 at the time). He said there wasn't enough youngsters out. The then got excited to see my g-pa's custom built 25_06 ackley. He was asking him all sorts of questions and holding it and told us that he had seen some movement up the one road and wished us luck. He also said he had busted some guys that we had reported a week earlier in another area. Really nice guy.

Last fall got stopped at a game check near Lytton and talked with a couple of the COs and they were all cool too. Have only heard of 1 person having problems with them.

Just follow the rules/laws and I don't think anyone should have a problem.

SHACK
03-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Best one I had was just this side of Pemby at a road check about 15-17 years ago, got pulled over and was asked the usual ??'s, any fire arms, game or fish etc. I told him there was a few trout in the cooler to which he asked to check and I agreed. After that he asked if I was in possetion of any hand guns, of course I was not so I answered NO and he then asked to search my cab. I agreed, and just about CRAPPED my pants when he opened up my glove box, and pulled out a rather large bag of weed and placed it on the dash!!
All I could think of was the 100 ways I was going to kick the crap out of my pot smok'n cousin that forgot it there when I got out of the slammer!
after searching around some more, he grabbed that bag of weed, slipped it back into the glove box, looked me in the eye, and told me to have a "SAFE day", and to "go on my way"!!!

Crazy_Farmer
03-04-2011, 07:21 PM
Just ran into one today at the boat launch while out brant hunting.

Very nice fellow, checked licences, guns and ammo. We were a little wet from the ride back but he was enjoyable and he was out two days before hunting for them aswell so he knew what he was talking about.

My only other encounter was a CO checking me in my driveway becuase he saw me cleaning ducks out by the burn pile on the farm. It was quite funny becuase I knew he was watching with binoculars so I drove down the laneway slow. He tried to hide behind a tree at my grandmas but pulled forward too much so he backed up tried to be all concealed. And then when I came to the road he rushed forward with lights on and blocked me in the laneway. I was laughing but he checked my licenses and my 8 ducks. It was neither good or bad just what it is.

Deaddog
03-04-2011, 07:32 PM
nothing but good.. had to shoot a grizz.. reported it ..interviewed, no problem, been checked lots....always proffessional, polite and respectful...

Singleshotneeded
03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Never had an issue, if you follow the regs you should be fine!

gitnadoix
03-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Checked in various places from north eastern bc to south western and every where in between...

Some times ya gotta feel sorry for them, think about it your job is to protect BC's wildlife and they most likely all hunt an fish. So when they go off to get away from it all....well its still there for them, every time they hear a gun shot or see another hunting party they gotta wonder, when they get back to the office are they gonna find a tip from the RAPP line that said some cronic poaching dick weed in a blue truck and red canopy was killing something he shouldnt have.....and they saw just such a truck while hunting themselves .....

Like every one they probably have bad daystoo is there any one here who has not been a bit grumpy to some one who didnt deserve it....

I always go with the "yes sir no sir three bags full sir attitude with any law enforcement, for all I know the last 5 checks coulda been all grade a (explitive deleted) so no need to give them more attitude and ramp them up even more

islandarcher
03-04-2011, 08:51 PM
CO's are great, it's those darn fish cops ya gotta watch out for ;>)

Realy though one of my close friends is a CO. I've never had a bad experience, though they are as rare as albino moose in some areas. The CO service is one of the thinnest stretched resources in BC.

Moose Guide
03-04-2011, 10:54 PM
I've had dealings with about 6 different COs over the years and never had a problem!!!

ufishifish2
03-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I have always had "Good' experiences with CO's. Even my first year hunting when I had a loaded rifle in the pick-up. He acted really serious and mad. I just accepted the fine with a smile. I deserved it!
Never got in trouble since because I haven't deserved to! Cheap lesson I learned that day!!!

CanuckShooter
03-05-2011, 05:12 PM
One time, late in the evening, two COs armed with huge sidearms slunk into our deer camp......they left without writing any tickets or confiscating anything...about the best experience you can have with them.

aj1493
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
i have been for about 3years solid about 2 times a week and i have only come across 1 co and he was good to deal with he asked to see the fish and my rods yet didnt want to see my license

BCbillies
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Nothing but good to say. Been more than fair when my buddies have made an honest mistake or two :wink: . . . came home once with two goats in hand (two tags cut) with the CO's parked in my driveway flushing a bear out of my backyard . . . they checked us out and asked for my LEH authorization and it was the first time I can recall ever leaving it at home . . . I walked in the house to get it and he said "supposed to have it on you". I said "I know" and that was it and I carried on trying to convince them to take the 7 footer in the back yard.:-D IMHO that was more than fair.

CO up in Dease was great in helping bust a local poacher. Another local CO was a great goat hunting partner as he was able to go where most care not to . . . although I will blame it on him for not having an 11" horn on the wall.

Brett
03-05-2011, 05:33 PM
yup...............

sherpa-Al
03-05-2011, 06:09 PM
So far nothing but positive encounters with CO's even when I didn't deserve it. Just about lost a moose one year due to the weather turning unseasonably warm. I was forced to take it to the butcher's cooler to hang after I had begun butchering at my residence. Of course due to the heat I had thrown the trimmings out along with all of the required "gear". After a thorough investigation during a home visit I was graciously given a written warning and allowed to keep my precious moose meat. For this I'm very grateful. I was completely in the wrong and could have had the book thrown at me, instead the CO considered the whole situation and made a judgement call in my favor.

Al.

Fisher-Dude
03-05-2011, 06:12 PM
How many here have volunteered to be part of Wilderness Watch, and get to spend some time with the COs seeing what their jobs are really all about? I highly recommend it - help out by pitching in for conservation in your area, and make some great friends doing it. :wink:

http://www.bcwf.net/images/stories/logos/wwlogo.jpg

Smiz
03-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Only had one bad experience witha co around burns lake. He was driving down the road on the wrong side of the road on a curve right at dark, when we came around the corner going the other way and almost ran hit him head on, we drove around the curve before we stopped. He was quite upset that we didn't stop immedietly. We kept saying we had something to hide when we didn't stop right there. We kept saying that it wasn't safe to park on a curve and we were not going to stop and get hit. He finally left but said that he would get us over the next week of open season. We asked if that was a threat and he left in a huff. Never saw him again that season, he was back the next year by our cabin but couln't find anything to give us a fine for. He was transferred the next year and the new guy is great and never had an issue again. Like some said they are human and have bad days too. Won't hold it against him for doing a dumb shit thing and trying to justify his screw up.

hunter1947
03-06-2011, 03:27 AM
I have had nothing but good exsperence with the CO over my hunting years without them we would be in big trouble ,keep up the good work to all CO wish we had more of them..

ROEBUCK
03-06-2011, 03:36 AM
did have a disagreement with a co at pg gun range.
he had just been transfered from the lower mainland and we were discussing grizzly hunting in the area,he was dead against it and wanted the grizzly hunt banned.throughout bc, seemed a shame to have co,s with those views ,hope theres not many with the same opinion.

hunter1947
03-06-2011, 03:42 AM
did have a disagreement with a co at pg gun range.
he had just been transfered from the lower mainland and we were discussing grizzly hunting in the area,he was dead against it and wanted the grizzly hunt banned.throughout bc, seemed a shame to have co,s with those views ,hope theres not many with the same opinion.

I think you will find out that most CO are hunters just like us and would be against the band on Grizzly bear hunts..

Samsquantch
03-06-2011, 09:32 AM
A C.O. I never met had a pretty nice daughter......:mrgreen:

weatherby_man
03-06-2011, 09:48 AM
As with all walks of life there are good ones, bad ones, indifferent ones, and A-holes. I do find it funny the responses from different people that CO's have to interact with. Once I had a tag not fully cut and I got nailed for it. My buddy later bitched on the guy for being an A while I admonished myself for being an A for not properly cutting my tag. I got a fine, sure that pissed me off, but it was my own fault. The guy was doing his job, and that was that.

At least they don't go around pulling people over and round-housing them and smashing them in the head (at least that I know of).

If you do have a problem with a CO, talk to their superiors. There is a complaint form and number to call - http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/contacts.html

kgs
03-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Back in 2006 I made a mistake and turned myself in to the COs. My experience was great the CO actually thanked me for doing the right thing as he said many do not. I was asked to bring in my kill which I did and it was given to the salvation army. I had cut my tag which the CO was happy about and two days later I was interviewed by two COs where I explained how I screwed up. Two hours later they decided to give me a warning. I got very lucky. I should say that I went in there with the attitude that I had made a mistake and was fully prepared to take full responsibility for my actions and I told them that during the interview. My impression after I left the office was that it was my responsibility when I hunt to make sure what I kill is legal and not to shoot if I am not sure period and if I chose to shoot and was wrong then I take full responsibility for it no matter what the consequences. I got lucky with two COs who took me at face value