Fresh Caribou
Beach mallards
Beach Geese
Beaver
squirrrel

Hombre
03-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Local mallards from the Pitt marsh.Holy crap they were awful.I stopped
hunting them as I believe in eating what I kill.
Had Squirrel,very tough, no Caribou or Beaver.

Schmaus
03-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Fresh Caribou
Beach mallards
Beach Geese
Beaver
squirrrel

Are you sure your cleaning your beaver properly before eating it :D

fowlweather
03-03-2011, 06:24 PM

ahaaha that made my day, how can you not love beaver, he must like snake:)

merganser
scoter
bufflehead
spoony
sprigs (some of them are amazing it depends)

Whisky Creek
03-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Rutty Muledeer
Rutty Caribou
Greasy blackbear ribs
Half smoked Grizzly ham
Shoe leather goat steak right off the hill

pro 111
03-03-2011, 06:26 PM

Come to think about it it was a little cheesy.:mrgreen:

moosinaround
03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Cougar's beaver, goat, sea ducks, and I have had a couple mulies from the rut that were less than tastey, but I think that is the way it was handled in the field. Moosin

moosinaround
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Woops put the comma in the wrong place, Cougars, beaver............................................ ..........................:twisted::oops: Moosin

Spy
03-03-2011, 06:29 PM
I find beaver soft & moist!:tongue::tongue::wink:

Alone in the wildernes
03-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Black bears on a dead salmon diet
Sea ducks
Raccoon
Goat
Caribou from Iqaluit

Brett
03-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Beavers GREAT! especially if you eat it at the right time.......It's got different flavors depending on the season........

moosinaround
03-03-2011, 06:43 PM
Beavers GREAT! especially if you eat it at the right time.......It's got different flavors depending on the season........
Gotta leave that one alone!! Dawg will be here shortly........................................... ............................:wink:

elkdom
03-03-2011, 06:49 PM

no!, I think he just is taking "TOO BIG of A BITE"",,,,,:-|

tomahawk
03-03-2011, 06:51 PM

I agree, a properly dressed beaver is sooooo tasty and cougar is a favourite of mine too.

Goliath
03-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I can't place them in order. I hate them all the same.

Rutting mule deer
Fresh cariboo, heck any cariboo
Mtn goat
Fish fed Blacks/Grizz
Fish ducks

Crys Shorty
03-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Anyone tried Pheasant? I was going to raise a couple for mounts, but don't know if the meat is good. Chicken ish, greasy like duck? Anyone tried it?

Farmer John
03-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Pheasant is quite pleasant.

The Dawg
03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Ive always found that the beavers that are looked after properly taste much better. The rutted up ones from the Lower Mainland are usually pretty nasty and smelly. My favorite beavers to eat are the Brazilian subspecies.

No matter where they are from though, theres always a time that they are just no good to eat, no matter how hard they are prepped and cleaned. Stay away for that time.

Spy
03-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Ive always found that the beavers that are looked after properly taste much better. The rutted up ones from the Lower Mainland are usually pretty nasty and smelly. My favorite beavers to eat are the Brazilian subspecies.

No matter where they are from though, theres always a time that they are just no good to eat, no matter how hard they are prepped and cleaned. Stay away for that time.

LOL:-D:tongue::-D

Caveman
03-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Trick is to rinse them with vinegar and water to kill the smell

When warmed up properly I agree, keeps you going back for more

………or the flavor of the water you feed it :twisted: Stay away from the long haired ones, concentrate on the short well groomed ones

Big Lew
03-03-2011, 08:20 PM
-mallards and bear feeding on dead salmon.
-coastal black bear during a poor blueberry year, feeding on
oregon grape and elderberry
-young domestic bull with only coniferous leaves to feed on
(stunk and tasted like bad gin)

luckynuts
03-03-2011, 08:49 PM

All depends! is the beaver wearing a summer or winter coat. Some can be like chewy dried leather while others are just mmmmhhhmhmmmmmhhh I think beaver is one of my favorite wild meats. Though some do need a good marinade while others go hand in hand with a cold one. Can't forget cougar, not quite has hard to catch and can provide a quick and tasty meal from time to time.:tongue:

W

urbanhermit
03-03-2011, 08:50 PM
you people are dirty talking about SEX!!!!!!

Caveman
03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
All depends! is the beaver wearing a summer or winter coat. Some can be like chewy dried leather while others are just mmmmhhhmhmmmmmhhh I think beaver is one of my favorite wild meats. Though some do need a good marinade while others go hand in hand with a cold one. Can't forget cougar, not quite has hard to catch and can provide a quick and tasty meal from time to time.:tongue:

W

…….and usually well seasoned!!!

moosinaround
03-03-2011, 08:51 PM
On a hunting Forum????????

Caveman
03-03-2011, 08:52 PM

Can u prove us wrong? Okay! Mike might be but I'm not! :wink:

urbanhermit
03-03-2011, 08:53 PM
nope! i cannot

Lone Ranger
03-03-2011, 08:55 PM
-Poorly dressed deer, especially if it got warm
-most definitely fish ducks, taste like clay
-never been a fan of black bear but if its berry fed then I don't mind the roasts
-fish bears for sure
-raccoon, but I've only tried ones shot in the city

deeks1989
03-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Raven
Skunk
Racoon
Grizzly
Old Black Bear

BradB
03-03-2011, 10:49 PM
Caribou? Really? You guys must just be shooting the rutty ones. I'll agree with you about those sea ducks though. Buggers taste like old sardines.

blackbart
03-03-2011, 11:00 PM
I refuse to eat any clam or beaver if the red tide warning is in effect.

In north american climates the cycle tends to be give or take 28 days, with the red tide warning averaging about 4-5 days.

Caveman
03-03-2011, 11:16 PM
A juniper berry eating grouse. You may as well be chewing on the juniper yourself

fowlweather
03-03-2011, 11:41 PM
I refuse to eat any clam or beaver if the red tide warning is in effect.

In north american climates the cycle tends to be give or take 28 days, with the red tide warning averaging about 4-5 days.

Oh dear lord can it get any worse? Lol!
Yep... When the river runs red take the dirt path. It's more difficult but you can still get there

fowlweather
03-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Ughh, what no! Get your mind out of the gutter:mrgreen:

ibehuntin
03-03-2011, 11:56 PM
If your Beaver tastes crappy you're probably taking to big of bites!

mungojeerie
03-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Haven't tried much that I haven't liked, Just tried goose for the first time.. thought it was great.

I've tried black bear twice and thoroughly hated it. Had vowed never to hunt it again but have recently been convinced that it's because they were fall bears and that spring bears are much better.

I will try for spring bear this year, If I don't like it though, it will be the end of my short bear hunting career.

Kyle84
03-04-2011, 01:47 AM
I dont have a top 5 but sea duck is terrible. Even duck from chilliwack can be gross...
Yup, ducks, they are the worse i think. You have to have such a small amount of meat with your veggies. Don't even get me started on ducks from the serpentine river, lol barf.

Cariboo Game Calls
03-04-2011, 05:52 AM
Some coyote sausage I tried at an Abbotsford game banquet years ago had to be one of the worst things I've ever eaten.

gibblewabble
03-04-2011, 06:47 AM
A juniper berry eating grouse. You may as well be chewing on the juniper yourself
Try it with a tomato sauce, I find it complimets the spruce flavour.

tomahawk
03-04-2011, 08:40 AM
Anyone tried Pheasant? I was going to raise a couple for mounts, but don't know if the meat is good. Chicken ish, greasy like duck? Anyone tried it?

Its very good, not greasy!

jml11
03-04-2011, 08:54 AM
I can't say what species would be the worst tasting not having eaten them all but from my own experiences I can say which specific animals were awful...these animals are generally fine but the locations and time of year made these ones quite disgusting:

Early Spring V.I. Black Bear that tasted like stale rotting salmon...never do that again...
Late December Mallards from the Chehalis/Harrison Area...tasted like the chum carcasses alondside the rivers...never do that again either...
Late Season Bull Moose...wasn't so much bad tasting just very, very tough to the point it was unedible...made fine burger though.

I would think wolves and coyotes would be pretty bad but I wouldn't even consider trying them given the high risk of contracting some pretty scary parasites...like Hydatid Disease (also why I would never feed animal liver to a dog).

03-04-2011, 12:15 PM
I would think wolves and coyotes would be pretty bad but I wouldn't even consider trying them given the high risk of contracting some pretty scary parasites...like Hydatid Disease (also why I would never feed animal liver to a dog).

Wow, that's some nasty stuff. Make sure to pack surgical gloves for handling wolves and coyotes.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/wldhealth/diseases/specificdiseases/hydatid_disease.htm

Jagermeister
03-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Old cougar:eek:

LukaTisus
03-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Lol this thread.

Can't say I've tried cougar, but mountain lion's pretty good. ;)

Worst game meat I've tried? I disliked mountain goat, but can't say I've eaten too much variety outside elk, deer and moose to have much opinion!

beeugle
03-04-2011, 04:30 PM
So I gotta ask.. with all the great tasting deer and elk and moose, and ungulates in general why eat cats, wolves coyotes(yeeeechhhh) and all the other listed here......really I ve seen bears with garbage bags hanging out of their a$$es.. why eat them, it's not like we're desperate.... geez.... don't get that at all..... the beaver... I get it.:mrgreen: but anything with a paw..forget about it....... and I see geese and ducks on the sewer lagoons all the time... picking the corn out of the sh!t I'm thinking!! think I'll pass.....you can have it.... but hey to each their own... oh and as the post asked.. the worst I had was some cariboo, I even put it in my dogs dish when I realized how horrible it was and both my dogs turned it down.. and they eat everything... including non edible stuff in the house... but not old cariboo.

recoil
03-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Yup every day i drive over the golden ears bridge and see hundreds if not thousands of ducks swimming around the sewage ponds on the port kells side. Makes you wonder how many of those eventually end up on some hunters dinner plate, yuck.

mike_b
03-06-2011, 01:16 PM
One of the best thread is a while. Lots of laughin' here...

Mike

Singleshotneeded
03-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Duck, goose, skunk, ducks, and geese

kendoo
03-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Muskwa cariboo the worst I ever tried to eat. Took it home for the dog & fido took 1 bite & started licking his arse to get the taste out of his mouth.

saskbooknut
03-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Snowshoe hare feeding on conifer (prob. spruce) -

browningboy
03-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Cougar's beaver, goat, sea ducks, and I have had a couple mulies from the rut that were less than tastey, but I think that is the way it was handled in the field. Moosin

Amen brother!!:mrgreen::wink:

Noname
03-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Antelope burger, Antelope Roast, Antelope anything except sausage...

Gateholio
03-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Worst eating is antler or horn, so we should increase the amount of female and juvenile animal seasons.

Squamch
03-06-2011, 05:48 PM
Worst eating is antler or horn, so we should increase the amount of female and juvenile animal seasons.

Your stirring technique is second to none.

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 03:36 AM
Beaver ,Black Bear ,Squirrel ,Marten ,Raccoon ..

fusion
03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
beeugle, you just had our office in a roar! tend to aggree with you except on the caribou. still laughing so hard its hard to type out the message.
cheers

eaglesj
03-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Sharptail grouse damn near made me puke. Then again, Spruce and ruffed weren't that good either.

swampman
03-08-2011, 09:09 PM
You must marinate the Beaver with Dicken's Cider for at least 10 min. to bring out the flavor. seriously though, I have had Raccoon ONCE, it tasted like the inside of a garbage can smells. Thanks for the laugh everyone!

moose2
03-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Oct bull caribou
VI ducks
late Nov Mule buck
high mountain moose in rut
late Oct bull elk