PDA

View Full Version : Pasayten FSR -- Thinking of rabbit hunting ...

seanps
03-03-2011, 01:17 PM
Hi all. Thinking of doing an overnighter to the Manning Park area to try my hand at finding some rabbits along the Pasayten FSR.

Anyone been out there lately? I'm just wondering if the road is plowed at all, or if I'll be hiking in from the highway.

Thnx.

Jelvis
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
I think the snow would be still there, at least it might have packed and if it's warm like in Kammy today it could melt good.
Grass will be sprouting in no time by drainages.
Hows the road in there usually at this time?
JP

Weatherby Fan
03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
There are a couple of homes around 9-10 kilometer so the road will be plowed to there,and there are lots of rabbits on that road in September anyway ! not sure about now.
Try the opposite side of the Highway on Bonivier Ridge south facing,moose and deer winter in there may be some rabbits on that side also.
WF

seanps
03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Cool. I've got snowshoes and don't mind wandering!

03-03-2011, 06:51 PM
I was thinking of getting out and doing some snowshoe hunting too, for what I don't know.
I though rabbits are mostly nocturnal, do you see them during the day this time of the year?

bruin
03-03-2011, 06:58 PM
Another spot to try would be copper cr fsr. Lots of rabbitts the first 15 km or so. They were logging in there during fall and still may be, hence a plowed road!

fowlweather
03-03-2011, 07:00 PM
what does fsr mean?

Tripitaka
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
@fowlweather - I gather from previous posts that it is "Forest(ry) Service Road".

seanps
03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
Crud: The cabin we usually rent is unavailable.

Can anyone recommend a cabin for rent near Eastgate or Princeton?

ufishifish2
03-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I've worked up the Pasayten for years now and it has got the absolute best rabbit populations I have ever seen anywhere. There are actually a lot of guys that hunt them along the road there but it never seems to reduce their numbers any.
As far as accomodation goes, there is virtually nothing available for rent in and around Princeton due to the boom of workers around there working on/for the mine. It's been nutz there since the summer. You will be lucky to even get a Hotel room during the week. The Sandman is the only one we can generally get a room at...... ever!!!

Lone Ranger
03-04-2011, 01:56 AM
Last time I drove by (2 weeks ago) it was still covered in snow, unplowed. There's rabbits out there but it may not hurt to look a little lower (towards Copper Creek), just beware of the guys logging up there though. LR

Cbuck
04-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Anyone have any updates on the Pasayten or Eastgate area regarding current snow levels? May try for bear up there in a week or so.