PDA

View Full Version : MU 4-38 Elk

edchunterfreak
03-02-2011, 10:06 PM
has anyone hunted MU 4-38 up the Bigmouth FSR I have a couple of new hunters who want to get a deer where I'm looking for Elk so just wondering what the Elk hunting is up there. I have heard of people getting some good Mulies there I would just go and scout it but I'm from the Island and the company that I work for blacks out vacation from April to the end August so there is not really any chance of scouting for this fall so I'm trying to gather as much information early on to see where to go.

kootenayelkslayer
03-02-2011, 11:01 PM
I'm not very familiar with Bigmouth, but 4-38 generally doesn't have high densities of elk. It is very tough country to hunt as well. The only people I know who have luck finding elk in 4-38 are very familiar with the country and get a lot of scouting time in.
Curious as to why you are choosing this area to hunt in? There are definitely plenty of 'easier' elk spots in the Koots.

Brad talkkari
03-02-2011, 11:16 PM
Ive been in bigmouth hunting Grizz and Black Bear and I would agree that it is very hard country to hunt. Easy for the bears in the spring, but it sure would be grown in very thick by the fall. Lots of moose but definetly not seen any elk in there. As for mulies they are in there but not that easy to hunt as well. My brother in law has a buddy that shot a 220" mulie in the downie creek area right down low by the lake. Thats about half-way up revelstoke lake. I agree with kootenaelkslayer in that there a lot easier places to hunt elk in the kootney area. Which ever you choose best of luck. just remember there are lots of grizz around revelstoke so if you shoot something in the fall you just rung a very big dinner bell.

bowhunterbruce
03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
i have been up downie last season as well as goldstream,bigmouth,and french creek every year and at least 3 to 4 trips each spring for bears and last fall for moose and never have i even once seen an elk and i have logged a couple thousand kms on quad up those valleys.i have only speraticly seen deer and never past downie creek.i have seen a few cariboo as well.yoou are way better of looking elsewhere in both the east and west kootneys as everyone else has said
bhb

edchunterfreak
03-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the help i guess its not the place for us but i am still hoping to find a place that is not very heavily hunted area for the guys. we are planing on going in October for the any buck season to give them a little better chance. does anyone have any ideas of a good area to checkout I'm not asking for an exact hunting spot or anything just an area to checkout. we would like to stay in the kootenays as there are friends that we will be visiting as well. Any help is much appreciated Thanks.

GoatGuy
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Low density deer and the elk are south of bigmouth. A few of them down in the tangier.

If you want more deer and elk check 4-32.

Jelvis
03-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Mu 4-38 and 4-39 north of revelstoke. Hwy 23 north from Revy runs first in MU 4-39 west of the Columbia, then switches over to the east side in MU 4-38 a few K north of Revelstoke Canyon Dam. Sorry dam is near to swearing, lol.
Most access for roads is on the east side, with a few mule deer, lots of Black bear, and get this, fair moose hunting.
Use boat to get to the west side of the river over the impoundment, doh'.
Jelly the Pilsbury Doh Boy!

one-shot-wonder
03-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Jelly right on time with the BC backroads map book reading of the day!

Jelvis
03-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I'd go MU 4-35 east of the Beaverfoot range and the Columbia, Beaverfoot River road for a toad .. from Leanchoil, just outside the park gate on Hwy 1, east of Golden.
Excellent elk and moose country and every ones there looking lol,
Watch out for road closure on the Moose-Dainard road. Also
Mule deer, mountain sheep, goat, and grizz
Thin Lizzy, in a tizzy .. key word? .. Elk .. and next one? .. deer ..
Jel

mrak
03-12-2011, 06:09 PM
look on the map ; Albert Canyon loging road ; i worked up in that area the elk have there routine find it .

hunter1947
03-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Why not go to the WK there are lots of all there :confused:..

GoatGuy
03-13-2011, 11:07 AM
I'd go MU 4-35 east of the Beaverfoot range and the Columbia, Beaverfoot River road for a toad .. from Leanchoil, just outside the park gate on Hwy 1, east of Golden.
Excellent elk and moose country and every ones there looking lol,
Watch out for road closure on the Moose-Dainard road. Also
Mule deer, mountain sheep, goat, and grizz
Thin Lizzy, in a tizzy .. key word? .. Elk .. and next one? .. deer ..
Jel

Beaverfoot is one of the worst places for elk in the ek. Habitat's all grown in and lots of preds. Lots of goats though.

kootenayelkslayer
03-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Beaverfoot is one of the worst places for elk in the ek. Habitat's all grown in and lots of preds. Lots of goats though.

But according to Jelvis' Backroads Mapbook, it's a great spot!

GoatGuy
03-13-2011, 11:23 AM

It was a good spot, 20+ years ago.

358mag
03-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Maybe the old saying "Book smart" Bush stuipd fits into his statements

Jelvis
03-13-2011, 12:35 PM
I think we hit a sensitive spot lol, from the armchair posting crew .. lol ..
.. Elk like those conditions to be close by thick, deciduous with mixing conifers in transition to mature forest, if you are road hunters only I really couldn't tell you pro's but for the hunter who gets out and hunts by foot or bike you can get an elk on foot on the beaverfoot.
Jel .. and a mule deer if you hunt hard all day long it's going to pay off .. wam bam leh slam
100 percent effort No Excuses A pair of deuces .. six point and a four on the floor .. it'll get your goat
Of the beaverfoot with an leh or gos whad ever, but you need to be clever. Apply don't deny the beaver

Jelvis
03-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Just don't hunt in the no hunting area, lol, of Yoho and Kootenay national parks or your butt would be hangin on a tree lol, just kidding but know the boundaries well, Beaverfoot River road from Leanchoil just outside the park gate, lol, on Hwy 1, sugar plum, lol, east of Golden head on in and see for yourself.
This is just east of the rocky Beaverfoot Range this strip of most excellent elk and moose country and huntinck grounce. The animals come down into the Beaverfoot two by two, and big ones also ..
So you'll see some red neck hunters there like yourselves week-end warriors, so enjoy the hunting. Watch for motor vehicle closure on the Moose-Dainard road which runs east toward Kootenay National Park.
Beaverfoot from the Leanchoil just outside the park gate in MU 4-35 Hwy 1

Jelvis
03-13-2011, 01:19 PM
You might want to try Mu 4-34 which is closer proximity to the mentioned mu in title.
Revelstoke to Golden type a thing?
From Spillimacheen, 60 km south of Golden on Hwy 95, this road pilly grim, the road to Bugaboo Glacier Provincial Park drops down across the CP tracks, across the Columbia River and up into the foothills of the Purcells.
From the main Bugaboo road a few small access roads and hike ins reach into good game country.
Same applies to another road the Brisco backroad with very pleasant country to roam far from home, hunting for elk, moose, and both species of deer available for the hunters to harvest, check BC Hunting and Trapping Regulations for MU 4-34 also check LEH opportunities .. each year
Jp,lookseelookytookywalkytalkyspockyclockyslicktox ic .. >-------------------------------------------------< ..