PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Trips Gone Wrong!

darrin6109
03-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Whether you went with a total goof or had to spend an unplanned evening because your truck broke down, Im sure there a few people out there with some doozies! So lets hear them.

takla1
03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
bear hunt,50 k back in the mountains on the coq,first evening in,shot a bear,gutted it loaded it with my 12 yr old son,carried on down the forestry road about a mile and my injector pump goes on the truck,400 dollar tow bill back to Mission,and that was thru a friend,plus 500 for new pump and labour,but shite happens.........was not impressed

Jelvis
03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I had promised to take a radio personality hunting in the valley, but when he showed up after driving to my place, I had such a hang over I just couldn't hunt too good, pounding head ache.
Jel - Hung over and too sick for black tails that day .. that was way back near Swayback .. play back .. black jack .. caddy shack .. patty wack .. sugar shack .. do dat .. who dat?

Alone in the wildernes
03-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Hummmm where to start have had few over the years!
Young and stupid first solo hunt, shot a moose and took me a 7 days to pack it out, never did that again sure was good eating though.

snareman1234
03-02-2011, 07:22 PM
took me a 7 days to pack it out

Wow! thats hardcore man! Need some buddies for that one.

.300WSMImpact!
03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Hummmm where to start have had few over the years!
Young and stupid first solo hunt, shot a moose and took me a 7 days to pack it out, never did that again sure was good eating though.

hey I plan to do that this year

RayHill
03-02-2011, 07:33 PM
bear hunt,50 k back in the mountains on the coq,first evening in,shot a bear,gutted it loaded it with my 12 yr old son,carried on down the forestry road about a mile and my injector pump goes on the truck,400 dollar tow bill back to Mission,and that was thru a friend,plus 500 for new pump and labour,but shite happens.........was not impressed

$400.00 tow bill for that drive you got off cheap IMO.

I had a timing belt break in Squamish 20 miles in on FSR. The tow from there to home was $1800. Then a bill for fixing bent valves and lifters + a new timing belt. Total was $2500.

This is when it is nice to know someone with a tow truck !

akyne
03-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Not a hunting trip but a fishing trip that went sideways from the get-go. Left my house on a Sunday evening to meet my buddy at his place in Armstrong. Made it about 10km down the freeway and the sealed unit bearing in the front end of my dodge seized and left me stranded on the shoulder.

I spent the better part of Monday driving around town trying to find the part. Finally had her back together by Tuesday mid-day. Got to my buddy's place about 5 that afternoon. Being that we were already a couple days behind, we said to heck with common sense and headed for our destination, a lake in the 'boo that we'd never been to before, but figured we'd have no problem finding in the dark.

1 am Wednesday morning found us driving down every spur off the main looking for the rec site to no avail. After about the 6th or 7th wrong road, while turning the truck around, we hit the loon s**t and slid off the road into a side-hilly quagmire and slowly settled to the floorboards. We used jacks and shovels and chains and every other mechanical recovery device known to man but by the time dawn was breaking, we hadn't made an inch with the truck and were seriously sleep deprived. He slept in the cab of the truck, I popped my cot out right on the road, and we both grabbed a couple hours of shut-eye.

Later that morning, after a cold breakfast, my buddy jumped on the four wheeler and went back to the main to find another truck. At noon two gents were kind enough to stop and within an hour we had the truck pointed the right direction, back on the road, and we were in business. There was enough time left in the day to find the site, throw up the wall tent, cut a weeks worth of firewood and grab some dinner.

We woke up Thursday morning to driving rain with intermittent thunder-squalls that didn't let up once for the remainder of the trip. We fished for a grand total of about 45 mins that week, but it is still one of my fondest memories from the bush!

triggr31
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
I went on a bison hunt this year . We got up north and the sheit storm started snowed everyday , foggy , bison were pushed way back where even sleds had an issue to get in. by third day partner packs in and says we are going home. Up north all that way and totally give up . I personally would never be able to give up a awesome tag like that. but hey I enjoyed the time I was there. Seen lots of elk and whitetail.

Alone in the wildernes
03-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Hunting by horse back in the upper stern horse brakes its leg, pack horse F_ _ _ S off have to walk out and no BIG NINE did not help out, lost two horses and gear but thats hunting. Have got smater though own a sat. phone now.

Kalum
03-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Had some engine trouble way up the Pitman river a few years ago. The electrical unit on my outboard fried and couldn't get it to turn over. We called out on the sat phone and had the part shipped up to the launch. My buddy jetted down in his boat to pick it up. After putting it on and turning the key it was still a no go. :???: On to plan "C"... We winched the 140hp evinrude off and laid it amidships and replaced it with a little 15hp jet that the we had left in the truck and buddy brought up with him with the spare part "just in case". In order to get that little jet level with the water though we had to take a chainsaw to the keel and cut a notch. :(
That was a 12hr ride back to the launch with some serious pucker factor going through beagerlys canyon... but we made it.:mrgreen:
Turned out that the part they shipped up was faulty as well and was an easy fix. Murphey's law in action.

kennyj
03-02-2011, 08:33 PM
My Dad and I were backpacking in 6-28 and on the way in we were crossing this massive rock pile of a mountain when a rock tipped a little under my Dads foot and he lost his balance and fell backwards onto the rocks. Fortunately his sleeping bag was behind his head on the top of his pack. Wound up pulling his hamstring pretty badly. There was only one spot on the mountainside flat enough to set up the tent and we were 50 yds above it. Very lucky. He rested for a couple of days then was able to hobble out. I packed the gear out. Could have been a lit worse.
kenny

chinookkiller
03-02-2011, 08:47 PM
a few years back,deep stucked in gold bridge 20 miles in on a small FSR near dusk,unfortunate that time we don't hold a radio,so almost one day foot back the next day,and 600 for towing the other day.

.300WSMImpact!
03-02-2011, 08:52 PM
I went on a bison hunt this year . We got up north and the sheit storm started snowed everyday , foggy , bison were pushed way back where even sleds had an issue to get in. by third day partner packs in and says we are going home. Up north all that way and totally give up . I personally would never be able to give up a awesome tag like that. but hey I enjoyed the time I was there. Seen lots of elk and whitetail.

sounds like you picked the wrong hunting partner,

Alpine Addict
03-02-2011, 09:12 PM
After 4 hours of packing out a sheep, had the horses bust loose. 2 hours to catch em. Rode into camp around 4:30 am dog tired. But to celebrate we made a big pot of coffee, fried up steaks and brought out the whiskey. Drank coffee and talked until sunrise then went to bed. Great day.

Phil
03-02-2011, 09:19 PM
I walked about a half mile from camp one evening. It was raining like an SOB and lightning was flashing all over the sky. I farted once, twice, three times and realized that I just blew my safety fart. I ducked under a fir bow and dropped my kit. After crapping a major patty I reached into my pack for ass wipe and realized I had forgot it on the tailgate of my truck. I had to walk back to camp a half mile in the rain with my pants around my ankles. Twice I had to dive off the road to avoid road hunters, the last of which I sprained my ankle. When I finally made it my arse was covered in black fly bites, I was limping and my bog roll was sitting in a puddle on the tailgate. That's the last time I ever ate chilly while on a hunting trip. :-D

BCBear
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I walked about a half mile from camp one evening. It was raining like an SOB and lightning was flashing all over the sky. I farted once, twice, three times and realized that I just blew my safety fart. I ducked under a fir bow and dropped my kit. After crapping a major patty I reached into my pack for ass wipe and realized I had forgot it on the tailgate of my truck. I had to walk back to camp a half mile in the rain with my pants around my ankles. Twice I had to dive off the road to avoid road hunters, the last of which I sprained my ankle. When I finally made it my arse was covered in black fly bites, I was limping and my bog roll was sitting in a puddle on the tailgate. That's the last time I ever ate chilly while on a hunting trip. :-D

You said you liked my chili and that we had seperate campers!

deer nut
03-02-2011, 09:29 PM
Got turned around chasing a buck I never did see this November. Had a real Survivorman experience. I was prepared but pissed at myself for faulty orienteering!

shadow1982
03-02-2011, 09:41 PM

Funniest one yet... tell me it didnot really happen ... lol

deeks1989
03-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Packrat stole our truck key...35 km back in the bush in Cranbrook...hometown is Fruitvale.

frenchbar
03-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Packrat stole our truck key...35 km back in the bush in Cranbrook...hometown is Fruitvale.

sure ...blame the packrat:wink::mrgreen:..

deeks1989
03-02-2011, 09:58 PM
sure ...blame the packrat:wink::mrgreen:..

I was young at the time and my dad says if anything bad happens the key will be on the leaf spring of the truck...hahah BAD IDEA. Ended up killing that rat, and digging up his little nest. We never did get that key back but my dad took his buddies truck all the way back to Fruitvale to find out his spare was nowhere to be found at his office..(company truck) and that for the newer Dodge pickups they have to be hooked to the computer to get the chip for the key of the truck to make it run! My dad came back with nothing so we Got a ride out with our hunting partners and grabbed another company truck and trailer and headed back over there first towing the 5th wheel out then going back in the 35km to grab the dodge and then proceed all the way back home...:neutral:

frenchbar
03-02-2011, 10:03 PM
I was young at the time and my dad says if anything bad happens the key will be on the leaf spring of the truck...hahah BAD IDEA. Ended up killing that rat, and digging up his little nest. We never did get that key back but my dad took his buddies truck all the way back to Fruitvale to find out his spare was nowhere to be found at his office..(company truck) and that for the newer Dodge pickups they have to be hooked to the computer to get the chip for the key of the truck to make it run! My dad came back with nothing so we Got a ride out with our hunting partners and grabbed another company truck and trailer and headed back over there first towing the 5th wheel out then going back in the 35km to grab the dodge and then proceed all the way back home...:neutral:

that sucks....good reminder not to leave the keys on the leafs...we do the same leave the keys some where on or around the truck in case something happens...dam packrats anyways.

tim3500
03-02-2011, 10:18 PM
3 flat tires up past red mountain walked 28 km found some one to put some wind into the tires drove 3 km flat again did that all the way to liloette (spelling) paid the guy for a burnt out compressor and his troubles slept in the tire shops parking lot till monday morning . Got home bought a quad said I will never have to walk 28 km out of the bush again got everything ready to go on friday again truck and quad stollen thursday night . OH then theres the time I roled my truck outside pemberton with 2 bucks in it thats another scewed trip stopped hunting that area BAD JUBE JUBE

frenchbar
03-02-2011, 10:24 PM
Some buddys of mine broke down coming in from the west pavilion one night in nov... spent the night sleeping on the road ..they lucked out there was a huge log deck of some old dead pine on the side of the rd...they lit it up and said it was quite toasty even without sleeping bags:mrgreen:

Pioneerman
03-02-2011, 10:28 PM
I have had a couple the worst one was up moose hunting I took off two weeks, and got there before the other two guys that were only taking off one week , but I like to be out and scout around get a good camp set up and it is appreciated when the others show up and we just need to hunt. It was draw only and I did not have a draw, but saw 8 bulls the day before my buddies showed up we went out that morning glassed 14 moose and of those 6 were bulls we stalked one got it and we notched one guys tag then he called home to tell them he got up there ok and we did well first morning. Well he should not have , his wife was going through the change of life and was histerical about everything from him dying out in the bush to everything wrong at home and he packed up and left the next morning. And of course his partner rode out with him with the other draw. Leaving me there with no draw moose all around. I drove down countrry tried a couple other areas and came home empty handed other than that one animal and of course two weks wasted waiting for them and all for one fricken day. THat was the last time I ever talked to them again, life is much better now :-)

Krico
03-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Goat hunt last fall. Drove to Terrace after work on a Wednesday night. Headed out in the morning, arriving at bottom of mountain at first light. As we started up the switchbacks to our planned parking spot the transmission went...no drive...so had to drive in reverse the 8kms back to the highway being careful not to get run over by a logging truck and wait for a tow. Spend the day at the dealership only to be told there's nothing wrong, it's fine now:-?
Thursday was fog so thick you couldn't see 20 metres, so hunting goats did not happen.
Saturday morning arrived with clear skies and new hopes. Got to the exact same spot and guess what? No drive...took video this time. Once again had to reverse all the way to the highway. Left the thing at the dealership once more and said don't call me until you figure it out. Got a rental and drove home to PG. They spent 2 days on it before finding the problem and replacing the transmission.

My favorite part was having to drive all the way back out to Terrace to pick it up...once they got the parts in...10 days later...

Big Lew
03-02-2011, 11:38 PM
that sucks....good reminder not to leave the keys on the leafs...we do the same leave the keys some where on or around the truck in case something happens...dam packrats anyways.
I'm paranoid about losing my keys as well as others with me having a key, so always have at a key for others and tape a spare to the inside of my belt.

Yak
03-02-2011, 11:47 PM

That is hilarious! Ive had some emergency number 2's where Ive had to rip sleves off my shirt before and even used my socks once, but never have I walked back to the truck with my pants down for shit tickets!!

Yak

BigBanger
03-03-2011, 02:02 AM
My slave cylinder went on my truck, I had to drive in traffic all the way home without a clutch. I got drunk that night, so happy I made it.

The Dude
03-03-2011, 05:24 AM
Mule deer hunting in the Okanagan. I was trying to cross a shale slide and found a rock face in my way. To go down and around would expose myself to where I believed the bucks were bedded, so I went sideways and up.
I climbed part of the rockface, about the size of a large garage door, and the whole world swayed.
Seems it had been waiting 22 million years to fall on me. A slab about two feet thick and twelve feet square followed me down the slide and the bulk of it landed on my left leg, breaking it at the ankle.
My buddy was a half mile away and I heard on the radio ''I hope that wasn't one of you guys''.
After ten minutes of crying like a little schoolgirl I managed to get the rocks off my legs, crawl to my pack and grab my handheld.
''Yup, I said ''That was me''
''Can you make it down to the truck?''
''Dunno, but I'll try......I landed on my gun, it's toast, and I think I broke my leg.''
Damn.
I tried to walk but the first time I put weight on my left leg I almost passed out in pain. I slung my daypack on my back, my gun on my chest, and had to crawl down the hill like a fiddler crab, my busted left leg in the air like a warning.
Now the problem with the southern Okanagan is that there's a whole shite-load of cactus everywhere, so every forty yards or so I had to stop and pick cactus spines out my my hands and bottom region, for which I earned the name ''Cactus Ass'' for a year or two. A painful hour later I hooked up with my buddies, who helped me to the truck and drove me to the hospital. The Doctor was actually laughing as he pulled cactus spines out my buttocks and I related the whole sad tale.
Wheeled out into the waiting room to meet my buddies, we saw a guy with a fistful of bloody gauze and a pained look on his face.
''What happened to you?'' My buddy sez.
''Shot my finger off'' Sez the Sad Sack with the bloody hand.
''That's nothing,'' my pal says, not to be outdone, ''My buddy here shot his foot off.''
''Thanks'', sez the guy... ''I don't feel so bad now.''
We got in the truck and laughed all the way to the Barley Mill
:D

gibblewabble
03-03-2011, 05:25 AM
I took my son up to Burns Lake this fall, rained all seven days and the last five we didnt see anything. Ryan didn't complain once I actually had to make him stop one day and duck under a spruce make a fire and have lunch, the temp dropped and we had been hiking for hours. It was hard the last couple days but we were out every morning at first light till dark. My boots blew out the first day and there was no where close to buy new ones without losing a half day driving. At least Ryan got his first deer with a solid shot and his first of many grouse, anything after that would have been gravy.

Too bad your partner ducked out on you, happened to me once on a hunt in Clearwater at least it was only a couple hours from home now I always drive.

gibblewabble
03-03-2011, 05:33 AM
Safety Fart thats classic, laughed s hard I probably woke the neighbors. I was out 20 years ago and forgot the a$$wipe in the truck and had to wipe with snow, I was clean after thats for sure.

sawmill
03-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Gee,lemme see..........Broke my ankle a couple miles back in the bush and crawled all the way out to my truck and drove myself to the Doc,thank god for automatic tranny.
Another time buddy geared down on a real slippery grade in his CJ 5 jeep,we did a couple 360`s and went over the bank backwards,rolled 9 times end over end and landed upside down in the creek.Busted the stock off my rifle and bent the barrel of the 30.30 I lent my buddy.
Took the wife and kids(2& 3 year old) for an evening grouse drive.25 miles up a logging road....flat tire,no problem,change tire, turn around and head for home.5 miles ...another flat.Now I`m screwed,wife bitching,kids howling and no more spares.Lucky it was the passenger front that blew,I drove 20 odd miles home on 3 tires and a rim.
Ahhhh good times,good times.

hunter1947
03-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Rainy pass on hiway 2 in the USA I had my left front bearings come apart my younger brother hitched a ride back to the anacortas ferry and over to the island to pick up a used left front hub ,he took it off his truck was the same year as my truck 1972 F250 4x4.

We got back on the road at 11am the next day..

Walksalot
03-03-2011, 07:57 AM
We went on a hunting trip to my buddies cabin at 100 Mile House( must be 30 years or better ago) in his Acadian. We pounded the oil pan on a rock sticking up and the car was making an awful noise. We took it to a garage in 100 Mile House and the mechanic worked on it for a while and then told us our engine was shot because the oil light stayed on. I had a Savage model 99 so I broke the rifle down and stuffed it into my Trapper Nelson pack. We started hitch hiking home and well after supper had made it to Seventy-some odd Mile House. Both of us were chilled to the bone, I was wearing cowboy boots, so we went into a restaurant with enough money for a cup of coffee and a bus ticket home. We were discussing our situation when a fellow next to us asked us where in 100 Mile House we had taken the vehicle. He told us he was a mechanic and suggested what the guys at the garage told us didn't make sense to him. While I waited at the restaurant he drove my buddy back to take a look at the vehicle. The next thing I know my buddy shows up driving his vehicle. It turns out that the engine was not shot and in short order, at his garage, he got the vehicle road worthy. He never charged us a cent for his labor and let us spend the night in the garage. We went back the next day to the garage in 100 mile house and my buddy got his money refunded to him. We came home skunked again.

Same buddy a few years later up in Vanderhoof on a moose hunt in my Willies Jeep and that time we did we home on the bus but that is another story for another time.

.330 Dakota
03-03-2011, 08:28 AM
Funniest one yet... tell me it didnot really happen ... lol

Been there Dude, but being the McGiver type, I simply cut off my underwear with my knife, wiped my ass and moved on, thats only good for one go though unless you are willing to part with your socks...LOL

Big Lew
03-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Been there Dude, but being the McGiver type, I simply cut off my underwear with my knife, wiped my ass and moved on, thats only good for one go though unless you are willing to part with your socks...LOL
I'll bet there's a lot of Wives/Girlfriends that can tell you of their men coming home missing shirttails...LOL

The Dawg
03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
I went out to Chetwynd and forgot the 2nd bottle of Crown Royal in PG.

:mrgreen:

bforce750
03-03-2011, 12:20 PM
I went out to Chetwynd and forgot the 2nd bottle of Crown Royal in PG.

:mrgreen:

OHHH man that sucks, probably the worst case yet. I ran out of booze one time.

srupp
03-03-2011, 12:30 PM
Hmmm being a PARAMEDIC in prime hunting country I have seen literally thousands of hunting "events" that range from the hilarious to tradgic..

Myself I have had a number of trips cut short thanks to FORD products and expensive tow bills and I have pretty new trucks and completely serviced..however they are expensive bic lighters..disposible:tongue:

when my truck crapped out in Bella coola literally 12 FEET away from the ocean we found that if Tim walked beside the truck with a battery connected to the truck with jumper cables..it ran..so we did so and unloaded the 23 foot boat ..and worried about the truck for after the hunt..result Tim shot a Booner 9foot 6" squared 900 pound coastal grizzly..

Buddy came up from Vancouver to the GANG RANCH for a deer hunt..I already harvested a huge 300 pound pig that morning so once he had settled in out we go..2 hours later a 28" wide heavy beamed bruiser..I said to Clem SHOOT..he said he couldnt..as the buck walked over the ridge...shoot!!!! he had left his rifle bolt..at home in Vancouver..:tongue:

another time I got hired to track down a huge wounded grizzly up Cunninham pass..so Betty and I headed in we had ate a chicken maonaise sandwhich the nite I arrived..tasted "funny" next day we hiked in after the wounded grizz..I had the runs and was feeling queezzy..soon vomited.. then a few times..but we kept on tracking the bear..reading the trail of the wounded bear was difficult when your eyes are watering from cramping and vomiting after some time and success we found said bear and marked its location..and headed out..by the time I had reache dthe road I was passing out ,dizzy..so Betty Drove me in towards the hospital however when I passed out she called for an ambulance..food poisoning had dis -rupp-ted..lol my entire system and I had thrown my electrlytes way out of wack...the crew on of course work with me..HOWEVER the PART-TIMER says to his partner.." IF HE DIES CAN I HAVE HIS JOB"???:eek:

being semi concious does NOT mean the patient cant hear..:-?..yes we DID have words later..

then there was the 10 kilometer hike in with Big boar and the idiot george who after 1 day gave up so we hiked out and drove home..:evil: no sheep..

or the hunting partner I choose to go on a fly in moose hunt who squatted ALL NIGHT by the fire drinking whisky..and talking with himself..

Then there was a certain quality sized black bear that was in the same spot for 2 previous years..and I WANTED this bear..went in and saw the bear headed into the timber..I knew he would be out later so raced back to camp for a early lunch..met a father and son on his sons FIRST bear hunt..they hadnt seen a bear yet and were leaving the next day..

So Steven being Steven... showed the father and son the clearing the bear was eating at and why and when the bear would emerge..distances etc and WHERE ON A BEAR TO SHOOT..got them set up and went back to camp...1 1/2 hours later I heard a shot... and headed off to give them a hand...I was wrong about the bear,,it went over 20 inch pumpkin after drying..and I STILL have the knife I recieved in the mail a month later from both father and son not for the bear but for the friendship and overall willingness to help....but man was that ever a purdy bear..

steven

Squamch
03-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Not me but a friend went out this last fall looking for bambi on the island, found a good spot to go for a walk..
He pulls over, his partner jumps out, and starts whining and hitching that he had to jump out into a 6' deep ditch. Partner climbs out of the ditch, and as he's standing up on the road, there's a rattling noise of rocks falling, and the road gives way into the ditch, the truck falls into the ditch where mr. Whiney-pants was standing 15 seconds earlier. 4 hours of shoveling, jacking, and swearing later, the truck is back on the road, the whole days energy and cigarettes are gone, and the coffee got spilt on the sandwiches. They called it a day.

Dirty Steve
03-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Pulled the camper off the truck on day 1 and it dumped right over on its side, snapped all the jacks off, Now what???? What a pain in the ass!

On the way home i'm emptying a gerry can of diesel into the truck and drop it. It lands on the ground, splits wide open and dumps diesel all over the road. Intersection 100 yards down the road, all the vehicles track the diesel 100 yards down to the intersection and after about 4 cars they all start drifting through the intersection!!! Fire department gets called by someone and disaster is averted.

leadpillproductions
03-03-2011, 05:17 PM
I was hunting in chicken creek years ago , me and brother going in .A crew coming out buddy straped to a flat deck quad trailer dead . If i remember right he fliped his quad over on top of him self . They went to the outfitters flew him home and keeped hunting they said thats what he wold have wanted .Now that would suck.

elkdom
03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
I was hunting in chicken creek years ago , me and brother going in .A crew coming out buddy straped to a flat deck quad trailer dead . If i remember right he fliped his quad over on top of him self . They went to the outfitters flew him home and keeped hunting they said thats what he wold have wanted .Now that would suck.

probably would have worked out better if THEY hadn't "field dressed their buddy" before strapping him onto the flat deck quad trailer ???:-?,,,,

hope the "quad" didn't get too banged up in the mishap !:-|

leadpillproductions
03-03-2011, 06:12 PM
probably would have worked out better if THEY hadn't "field dressed their buddy" before strapping him onto the flat deck quad trailer ???:-?,,,,

hope the "quad" didn't get too banged up in the mishap !:-|
WOW i thought i was cold

elkdom
03-03-2011, 06:16 PM
WOW i thought i was cold

I'm at least as compassionate as the rest of "ded-buddy's group":-?

frenchbar
03-03-2011, 06:21 PM
I'm at least as compassionate as the rest of "ded-buddy's group":-?

im sure the first dead elk was dedicated to him :-?:mrgreen: not something i could do .

elkdom
03-03-2011, 06:33 PM
im sure the first dead elk was dedicated to him :-?:mrgreen: not something i could do .

ledpill's post brought back memories of "chicken creek", going way back to 1980, some good, some not so good, and some with "more than ample spicing's of stupid"

one year a guy sets his pic-up on the old airstrip runway near chicken creek, waits for moose to cross airstrip, he does this for a couple of days, ALL day long,,,
eventually we all ignore the moose Hunter GOOB sittin in his pic-up all day with the motor runnin,,,,,

well someone gets suspicious and taps on his window one day,,,, long story shortened?? he carbon-monoxide-ed himself,, then the truck kept running, the heater on HIGH!,, and cooked him into a big pile of MUSH !,buy the time the truck ran out of gas,,,,,,,a day or 2 later!:shock:

frenchbar
03-03-2011, 06:36 PM
ledpill's post brought back memories of "chicken creek", going way back to 1980, some good, some not so good, and some with "more than ample spicing's of stupid"

one year a guy sets his pic-up on the old airstrip runway near chicken creek, waits for moose to cross airstrip, he does this for a couple of days, ALL day long,,,
eventually we all ignore the moose Hunter GOOB sittin in his pic-up all day with the motor runnin,,,,,

well someone gets suspicious and taps on his window one day,,,, long story shortened?? he carbon-monoxide-ed himself,, then the truck kept running, the heater on HIGH!,, and cooked him into a big pile of MUSH !,buy the time the truck ran out of gas,,,,,,,a day or 2 later!:shock:

yikes!i take it he didnt open the door:mrgreen:

f350ps
03-03-2011, 06:46 PM
I think the worst trip I had has to be the Gang Ranch in Nov. 1990. Drove to the top of the switch backs after the bridge then tumbled 350' down to the river. Got ambulanced outta there then airlifted from the 108 Ranch to VGH where I spent the next 6 weeks. Still paying for that one with all the aches and pains. K

fearnodeer
03-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Went for walk with my buddy, lost track of time next thing you now 8 miles in 4 point blacktail and 7 hours out. Oh ya thats the one you talk about

Ride Red
03-03-2011, 07:21 PM
When I was a teen, my dads so-called buddy always bugged me to bugle elk for him. He new of a spot way up on the alpine where the elk used to come out to feed in the evening from a long finger of timber. It all started one morning at the end of the trail. We parked and he told me our packs were in the back of the truck. He said, Yours is the old wood frame one. (he supplied the packs and sleeping bags) I grabbed mine from the box with a grunt and put it on. Then I grabbed his with the same enthusiasm and just about went over backwards. He said I was young and strong, but I should have known what to expect after that. We hiked the rest of the day up the mountain and it was still shooting light. I set him up in a patch of junipers a 100 yards ahead of me and told him to stay put as I would call them to him. As I started to call all hell broke loose as we had two bulls coming in right away. They hung up just out of sight, thats when I hammered on them a little harder. Just as the first bull was coming out, this idiot I was with stands up and walks out and off the bulls go. He finally walks back to me and I asked him what he thought he was doing. He stated the they weren't coming out quick enough for him and he figured he'd walk to them. I tried everthing after that, but couldn't put it together. That night we slept on the mountain, well sort of, I froze my ass off in the summertime sleeping bag in the sleet and snow. I finally got up, made a fire and used the bag as shelter. The next day we tried in the morning without any luck. We hiked back down the mountain to where the truck was and I asked him if he had his gun unloaded. He turns towards me saying yes just as he touches the trigger and off goes his gun. Luckily he had the barrel pointing high enough that he didn't take my head off. Needless to say, my ears rang for the rest of the night, my heart had to start beating again, and we haven't spoke to that a**hole since. If I hadn't been in shock after that little episode, there only would have been one person going back to camp if you know what I mean.

* Morel of the story: Know who you hunt with and that they have your back. Don't just trust anybody. And, first and formost, safety first.

buckshot
03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
About 1993 I took the two ferries to Texada island for a week-end of deer hunting in my 2WD S-15. Getting there in the afternoon and after renting a room at the Vananda hotel, I decided to drive to the south end of the island as I had a good hour of daylight left. Now back in them days there weren't the hords of hunters going over as you get now. So now I had made it to the end of the road so to speak and decided to turn around only to discover that the front driver side tire was flat. Well, it will be fun changing that tire in the rain I tought! I get the tools out and start lowering the spare to find out that it's also flat (@#%*). What to do now? I wait a half hour and with no vehicles to be heard, I decide to drive on the flat tire. Slooowly at first, then a little faster. I found out that the best speed on three wheels is 20 K/hour. The steering wheel was vibrating a bit and the noise was down right scary. I kidd you not, at some point I could see a chunk of my tire buring in the middle of the road. Finally I got to the paved road about two Ks from Vananda and parked the truck. The rim looked as if it had been freshly chromed and around it were a few wraps of wire equally shinny. The beer and grub at the hotel that night were so good. Next morning I walk over to the service station and tell my story to the guy running the place. He posts the "back-in-five-minutes" sign on the door and we go have a look. We bring back the spare to his shop and he fixes it. We go back to my truck and, as I'm installing the tire, he makes me tell the story over and over (the burning rubber on the road was his favorite part) again. When all is said and done, I ask: "what's the damage?" "No charge" is his reply! I insist, he will have noting to do with it.
I was only ever back to Texada once again (2001). That was an even more gruesome experience. Maybe later.

CR CRUISER
03-04-2011, 11:14 AM
My hunting partner and I planned a November moose hunting trip to northern Ontario. He had been to a spot years before that had lots of moose but was miserable to get to. There were a few miles of old logging roads then 2 miles across a lake then pack everything a couple of miles to the hunt camp.

We took my 16' boat and our tent and supplies and headed out. Got all set up then didn't see a sign of a moose for 4 days. It was bitterly cold and kept getting colder each day. On the evening of the last day before we headed home, partner sat down on the latrine which collapsed under his weight and he fell backwards into 4 days of used chili.

The next morning after a miserably cold night, we packed everything down to the lake. Oh Ffffff! It had frozen over with enough ice to keep the boat from powering through it but not enough to slide it over top. It took 3 hours of him leaning over the bow and chopping ice with the axe while I ran the motor to get across and get to the truck. All the while I'm staring at the butt that had previously been sitting in the poop pile.

We had to drive to town and rent a motel room for a couple of hours so he could get cleaned up. We got some questioning looks from the desk clerk when 2 guys wanted a room for a couple of hours.

Then a 7 hour drive home and we never saw a moose in 6 days.

budismyhorse
03-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Piled up the gear and left for the Tatshenshini from Cranbrook. Got to Grand Prairie and hear a grinding noise in the tranny when the clutch is out. Stopped in the parking lot of the GMC shop in Ft St John......slept overnight. Got the mech to look at it the next morning. Says she's f'd and I need a new tranny. Get loaner truck, drive back to GP and buy rebuilt. Drive back to FSJ.......wait all day for the fella to drop it in. I dropped my pants and paid ~3k all said and done.

On road at 8pm..........drive through the night........Stop for break in Muncho .......same grinding noise with clutch out.

Obviously the shop didn't fix the problem, lose my mind on cell phone first thing the next day.......dealership tells me all is well, finish the trip and stop in on the way back, they will take care of it.

Drive like maniacs until we get to Stanley Creek.......hunt 3 days hike 30 km, forest fire smoke comes in thick........could barely see, eyes burning......hike 30 km out get wasted in Haines Junct.

Drive to FSJ.......fight with dealership for three days while they struggle to find the problem. Turns out the doorknob mechanic didn't check the pilot bearing.......replace 30 dollar bearing, put old tranny back in get money back.........leave in a cloud of dust back to Cranbrook.

Orangethunder
03-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Some good stories guys.

A couple that come to mind for me:

A buddy and I are coming home from work and he is looking for his first buck. Come around the corner and there is a small 4 point on the road. Stop, load the gun, go to chamber a round and it jams. I take that gun and our friend hands him his 'reliable' .308 lever. Aim, click.....................................what?

Hangfire? Wait a couple of minutes and carefully open the action to find out his discount clip doesn't always feed correctly.

The deer lived to see another day.

Another time we decide to try region 6 for "any" bull moose one October. Great idea, load up my quad and pickup and head North for some moose hunting. The plan was to hunt the weekend and see how it goes. Thinking if its good we'll just stay a couple extra days. Turns out my partners have to be back for work, who has to work?

Anyway we get there and find some moose but can't connect on a bull. We get camp ready after a long day and this guy shows up saying he needs help to get a bull out. We go and give him a hand to get the bull a whopping 40 feet onto the road. Turns out they moved it a foot in about 8 hours of trying. Being perhaps a bit too generous we decide to lend them our trailer to get the bull into the butcher. They thank us and drive off. We then start thinking oh man we didn't give them the trailer insurance. Or get their names. Or keep anything as collateral. Oh well they'll come back....:confused:

Much later they came back with the trailer and a lot of beer. Great guys except the one kept spitting on our fire. Not really sure what he didn't like about our fire but he wouldn't stop spitting on it.

We never did get a moose but it was a good trip. On the way home one of our buddies had to smoke but I wouldn't stop or let him smoke in the truck. So he crawled out the no draft and sat in the back to smoke. About the third time he did this I thought it would be funny to lock it. It was funny for about a half hour until he found an axe. We let him in after that.

dime
03-04-2011, 10:37 PM
Hunting a couple of years back on the northern end of the Island, went through an open faced culvert about 20 km on the other side of a mountain from the highway and had a rock hit my oil filter. Bent it enough to let the oil slowly seep out of the engine until it seized. Luckily ran into a couple of guys that helped tow it to the highway, but a $400 tow fee to get it to Campbell river and a $3500 repair bill to put in a new engine. Not to mention having to rent a vehicle and pay the ferry bill each way a couple of times.
Did shoot a nice little two point, my first blacktail.
It was worth it.

Grizzly Squirrel
03-05-2011, 01:02 AM
The worst hunting experience I've had so far was a broken right hand. Apparently I got off easy compared to some of you!

BCHunterFSJ
03-05-2011, 07:58 AM
Blew the tranny on my truck north of the Mesilinka River while on a grizz hunt. Had to be towed to Mackenzie and then to Prince George for a new one... Ouch! Ouch!! Ouch!!! No, did not get a grizzly...

sneg
03-07-2011, 10:48 PM
my favourite... I decided to go for ligth hunting trip deep in bushes near Quesnel. Ligth means - I took min of gear to save on space. I was exploring area abt 40 km from main FSR when snow storm comes in and brake trees all over the place.My return road blocked with dozen of good sized trees and I did not have chain saw. I was really lucky to hike only about 10 km under storm condition in approaching darkness and meet other hunters with chain saw.They helped me out. Since then I do not go light on gear.