PDA

View Full Version : Transporter Services

muledeercrazy
03-02-2011, 12:58 PM
If this has allready been done, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. With all the talk of services guides provide, I thought I would ask everyone who they have used for transport or outfitting service in B.C., including g.o., and transporters. I know alot of guys are quick to slam someone for wanting help in their hunt, but timelines and access to the wilderness can be limited by alot of things that are independant of determination and the "just get out their and do it" mentality.

An obvious one is

RiverJet Adventures, northern rockies.. Kevin Willis now runs this outfit and has a good reputation

srupp
03-02-2011, 01:34 PM
I will second the TOP RECOMENDATION OF KEVIN WILLIS..

steven

muledeercrazy
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Its seems strange that more guys dont advertise services. GOABC advertises that their members offer services to BC residents, but dont have any info other than that.

BC Yukon Air, out of Dease Lake is another.. I have no experience with this outfit

muledeercrazy
03-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Harbour Air out of Tatogga Lake, just south of Dease. Again, no experience with him.

northernhunter
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Jeff Brown is a good packer. I believe his operation is called steamboat mtn outfitters, he has been around for quite awhile. Know of someone that got packed in last year and shot a 6 point elk and sheep in same day. He would be a good bet also.

bridger
03-02-2011, 06:34 PM
testa river outfitters are also licensed transporters and provide good service located at mile 475 at tetsa river. if you are interested pm me and i will dig up a phone number really good moose and elk hunts. as far as guys wanting assistance on their hunts--nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Devilbear
03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Rich, who are Tetsa River Outfitters, is that the older chap who also has a lodge beside the highway?

bridger
03-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Rich, who are Tetsa River Outfitters, is that the older chap who also has a lodge beside the highway?

the original transporter was cliff andrews who unfortuanetly passed away two years ago. the business is now being operated by his daughter and her husband. both very experienced in the business and know what they are doing. talked with them at length the other night at the gun club fundraiser. have already transported all their horse feed into their camps by skidoo and are buying lots of new tents etc for the coming fall.

ryanb
03-03-2011, 05:05 AM
I would think that guide outfitters would be more likely than ever to pack for residents given the economic climate in recent years. If you have an area you want to go, it may be worth a try.

bridger
03-03-2011, 06:19 AM
good point and under the agreement reached when transporters were licensed guide outfitters are required to provide services for resident hunters. if there is a solid demand for their services and it is not provided for whatever reason then the government is supposed to license a transporter for that general area. keep in mind that a hunt with a licensed outfitter will be a little more expensive that a hunt provided by a transporter, but outfitters can and do provide services that transporters cannot.

srupp
03-03-2011, 12:53 PM
hmmm I did in fact try to get packed into an area by TETSA river outfitters...they declined ..as they were hunting sheep in that area and didnt want any more competition than nessisary??I wasnt competition...:tongue:

so I hiked in..one of THE best hunting experinces I have ever had..

steven

Jonny outdoors
03-03-2011, 06:00 PM
Kevin from River Jet adventures did a great job with us last year. Just give him a call he will explain what type of services he provides and describe the areas he can access with his boat.

I would use them again without a second thought!

Chad

bridger
03-03-2011, 08:22 PM
hmmm I did in fact try to get packed into an area by TETSA river outfitters...they declined ..as they were hunting sheep in that area and didnt want any more competition than nessisary??I wasnt competition...:tongue:

so I hiked in..one of THE best hunting experinces I have ever had..

steven

maybe they felt an obligation to the hunter they had already taken into that area not to put other hunters in the area so he could have a good hunt! seems like a reasonable thing to do.

muledeercrazy
03-03-2011, 09:40 PM
this is good info, thanks guys. I dont have a specific hunt in mind myself. I was hoping to take my dad and a friend on a trip somewhere remote, and started looking at options. I was suprised by how hard it was to find info on transporters, or go's who would offer that service. I was hoping to get enough info together to make a sticky of it, so guys would have a reference. In the regulations, goabc advertises services for transporters and resident hunters. If you contact them, they dont offer any info at all!

Alone in the wildernes
03-03-2011, 10:05 PM
Because they realy do not want to take you, to much work for the amount of money most residents are willing to pay.

bridger
03-04-2011, 05:11 AM
if that were the case why would they be in a business that caters only to resident hunters?

srupp
03-04-2011, 10:58 AM
hmmm in this case there were no hunters where I was going...never ever did see any one for my entire trip...

Yes that would be a good enough reason however the impression with how he said his stuff that they hunt that area..not that hunters were in there at the time..I guess they cant shoot a ram from that basin next year if I shot it this year...pitty I would have loved to ride up that area and see what it looks like from the relative comfort of a horse..that walking leaves my eyes watering and stinging from sweat..lol

No big deal...

Steven

Alone in the wildernes
03-04-2011, 11:12 AM
What G.O only caters to resident hunters ?

03-04-2011, 02:42 PM
What G.O only caters to resident hunters ?

Tetsa River Outfitters is a not a licensed guide-outfitter, they are packers, now know as transporters, and legally restricted to resident clients for hunting.
http://www.campbellriver-fishing.com/tetsa.htm

Alone in the wildernes
03-04-2011, 02:54 PM
When I talked to them a fews back they seemed that they were not really keen on taking us. But were super to B.S with even gave me some heads up on where to go.

iron sights
03-08-2011, 07:44 PM
You could call Stan Wallchuck at Blue Creek Outfitters and rent all the horses and gear. A total do-it-yourself opperation though. He'll drop the horses off at the trail head and come back in two weeks to pick'm up. You should have some riding and packing experience.