PDA

View Full Version : Meat question

bchunter181
03-02-2011, 04:39 AM
So me and my new hunting partner are young hunters we have lots of animals that we want to hunt I realize that this won't be done in one season.but with just the hunts we have planned for this year we will have lots of meat I was wondering what some of you guys do with all your meat as most of the people In my family don't eat game meat except a few I have seen people on here that are getting lots of animals what do you do with all your meat I can't see myself eating it all but still want to hunt but definetly don't wanna waste meat.

The Dude
03-02-2011, 05:02 AM
:-? I love an optimist! Cross that bridge when you come to it........:rolleyes:
If you find yourself in that situation, there will be lots of folks that will take it off your hands, just put the word out. Just remember no $$ can be involved.
Good luck guys! :D

fearnodeer
03-02-2011, 07:07 AM
If you can it it will last 3 years, so seasons your not so lucky you will still have a supply. If you want to give some away try putting a post for people who cannot each beef thay would love a donation. But like the dude says cross that bridge when you come to it.

hunter1947
03-02-2011, 07:07 AM
I give it to people that are in need of food lots out there that will take it off your hands..

wos
03-02-2011, 07:50 AM
If you and your family are not going to eat game meat set the bar mighty high and call yourself a trophy hunter. If you constantly hold out for that big one your freezer should be empty most of the time.

Philcott
03-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Find a senior citizen in a plaid shirt, ask him if he ever hunted and if his eyes sparkle with a hint of remembrance ask him if he would like some moose/deer/caribou steaks/burger.

You will have no problem giving some away.

Shoot I was skunked on moose this year and would love to have a bit for my belly.

tristanmac
03-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Some pretty confident words! Not every hunt ends with a freezer full of meat. You wont have trouble finding someone that wants some free meat.

Ride Red
03-02-2011, 08:06 AM
So me and my new hunting partner are young hunters we have lots of animals that we want to hunt I realize that this won't be done in one season.but with just the hunts we have planned for this year we will have lots of meat I was wondering what some of you guys do with all your meat as most of the people In my family don't eat game meat except a few I have seen people on here that are getting lots of animals what do you do with all your meat I can't see myself eating it all but still want to hunt but definetly don't wanna waste meat.

As others have said, you can give some away. Or, get your meat done into a variety of products. ( you can do it yourself too ) Examples: sausage ( many different styles and flavours ), jerky, pepperoni, hamburger, steaks, roasts, stew meat ect. I'm sure once you have an animal you'll see the endless possibilities of use.

coquitlam
03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Your post reminds me of myself about 25 years ago and first started to hunt.First I would say ,hunting is not only the kill ,it is the time you spend out in mother nature and all that you see. You may find that hunting is not as easy as you may vision at this time. Do not get discouraged of those hunts that you do not bring game home and focus more on the memories that you take home.I every year think that I will need another freezer but that same single freezer has done me well over the years . An over abundance of meat is never a problem and is great for bartering or helping another out.

KevinB
03-02-2011, 08:26 AM
Learn how to care for your animal, and butcher it yourself (it's really not that hard, there's lots of info on the net, heck even I can do a pretty good job), keep the bones and fat out of the meat, age it in the fridge a bit, marinade it in something tasty and grill it fast an rare on the BBQ, and I bet you'll be converting some of those family members pretty quick...:-D

Otherwise, as others have stated, cross that bridge when you come to it, hunting has a way of going exactly how you DON'T expect it to go. But if you do find yourself with excess, you will have no problems finding people who are willing to take meat donations.

good luck!

Fishhound
03-02-2011, 10:19 AM
I bet there are a lot more HBC members that would like to have some game meat than there are members who have excess to give away

ufishifish2
03-02-2011, 10:55 AM
I guarantee you won't have too much meat, unless you have no freezer and live in "Vegan-ville".
There are so many options. For an example, I am storing a buffalo, goat, moose, and mule deer all in a regular sized freezer and harvested since Sept.1st... you can always make room. Just give some away each time to make room for the new stuff arriving.
I don't take money for meat, however I allow family members and friends to pay for the additional costs of making the meat into Pepperoni, jerky, sausage, etc....... As long as you have friends and family, you will be fine. Just don't start them off with ground burger from a rutty mule deer.

sawmill
03-02-2011, 11:07 AM
Gotta love an optimist:mrgreen:

TyTy
03-02-2011, 11:09 AM
eat it with friends and family. none of this "what to do with my meat?"
its pretty simple.

BigfishCanada
03-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Invest in a meat Vacuum solution, and stop buying store bought beef. The meat wont last long.
A) when your family doesnt know its wild game they will eat it and comment "wow great meal"
b) eating wild game , will make you feel stronger and healthier, it sure does for me.
C) down the road you youw ill comment "I wish I had more game in my freezer"

coach
03-02-2011, 01:48 PM
What's beef? I've forgotten. BigFish is right - buy a vacuum sealer. Find a mentor that will take you hunting and teach you how to properly take care of your game when you harvest it. I butcher all my own deer now so I don't need to worry about any of that gamey tasting fat in my steaks, roasts or burger. If you can, invest in a meat grinder so that you can grind your own burger. I mix my deer with 20% pork shoulder roast. Some guys just go straight game. Properly cared for mule deer, moose, whitetail, elk, bison, etc will be better than any beef you can buy. Taking the time to process your game properly will make you appreciate the meals that much more. Always be sure not to overcook game. It has less moisture content and dries out very quickly if overdone. I take mine off rare, give it a few minutes, and eat it medium rare.

M.Dean
03-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I've had lots of people try wild game for there first time here when I cook. If you do a good deer roast properly, people will hork it down like candy! What I do lots is cook a chicken or pork roast or what ever for dinner, and I also cook a big deer or moose roast, or steaks on the Bar Ba Que for everyone to try if they want. The wild game is always gone first! Find a GOOD sausage maker in your area also, Gary's Deli in Kamloops is excellent, and have some Jerky made, Smokies, Pepperoni, some Garlic coils and I'll guarantee you there won't be any meat wasted, in fact, you'll find you have to disguise the packages in the freezer to save any for your self!!!

sawmill
03-02-2011, 02:55 PM
You could always give it to Wayne(H47),he give all his meat away:mrgreen:
Too nice of a man!

moosinaround
03-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I had a whole moose, a whitetail deer and a half of a beef for our family this year. I was worried about having too much meat, but after giving some away, sausage, and selling a quarter of the beef, we will make it through till fall. Good optimism, if you develop a taste for black bear, you should never get skunked for wild game. Blackies are awesome as sausage, and you can take 2 per year!! Good luck this season, hope to see lots of pictures, and lots of stories! Moosin

Squamch
03-02-2011, 08:07 PM
I've found the best way to avoid excess meat in the freezer, is to buy a freezer intending to fill it with game meat. My "moose freezer" bought for me by my beloved wife because "a moose isn't gonna fit in the fridge!" has sat empty for...well, since she bought it. And it's not from lack of time spent hunting!

quadrakid
03-02-2011, 09:03 PM
Find a family in need,there are lots of them.