PDA

View Full Version : Anyone eating Brant tonight?

fowlweather
03-01-2011, 06:40 PM
just wonderin' how you hardcores did today, i am really interested in brant hunting as it is something completely alien and new to me. it looks like a lot of dedication, time, money, patience, luck, skill and grit to sit out in a boat in the cold all day waiting for that 30 seconds when they come in.

so... did anyone get anything today? Pics are encouraged:-D

does anyone know if Rick Gander is on the site or was out there? we use him for taxidermy and know that he is a diehard.

Ian F.
03-01-2011, 07:19 PM
One group got into some birds first thing, made my morning getting that text!

branthunter
03-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Four birds for us but so far I can't get the pics to download.

Ian F.
03-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Great news Bob!

Any grey bellies?

I had my contractor training curriculum accepted today, doesn't quite compare does it?

Ian

f350ps
03-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Sounds like a pretty good showing, what side were you on Bob? Supposed to be a nasty Southeaster tomorrow which is supposed to swing to the south. You know that'll turn into a westerly in the afternoon. K

branthunter
03-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Great news Bob!

Any grey bellies?

I had my contractor training curriculum accepted today, doesn't quite compare does it?

Ian

No greys, one juvenile.

branthunter
03-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Sounds like a pretty good showing, what side were you on Bob? Supposed to be a nasty Southeaster tomorrow which is supposed to swing to the south. You know that'll turn into a westerly in the afternoon. K

We were at the SP ( the only choice what with the BB ramp still blocked off, no doubt in anticipation of today's forecast storm)..... looked like 7 sets out there..we're going to play today one step at a time....don't want to be out there in no storm force winds.

Crazy_Farmer
03-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Bob it sure was nice to see that last flock, turn into you and you guys cut the last two Brant you needed. We should of been 200 yards to the north but we did alright with 4.

It's funny how the game goes, the same exact time phil and red finished their limit off around 8am we had a flock of a dozen come through the back and decoy, phil and red pounded into ther flock ours flared off right at the 60 yard mark and flew out. Timing and luck, we would of been done by that time too, instead we stuck it out till te next drop and managed to get some more. 2 mature, 2 juvie that took alot of shooting hahahahaha. We flatland shooters ain't used to the bobbing up and down is my excuse

I heard gander got his 4 on the other side.

Man being the first at the launch, and we couldn't find the launch hahaha, finally realized a log had blocked it, so out came the winch and some work. It was traffic city after that, 3 other rigs showed up in that time.

fowl language
03-02-2011, 08:05 AM
some crazy long shots for opening day.then one comes right in when dennis is standing up ,that,s ridiculous.don,t even own a camera so don,t ask.....fowl

fowlweather
03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
Is Rick on the site?

lorneparker1
03-02-2011, 06:56 PM
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/uploads2/20100504_133304_useless_without.jpg

Crazy_Farmer
03-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Not to worry not to worry.

My cameras are located in Ladner and I am currently back at home. Should have them uploaded tomorrow night.

I can't believe the two rigs made it out today and got in before it got too nasty, but I'm putting the small punt in tomorrow.

f350ps
03-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Not to worry not to worry.

My cameras are located in Ladner and I am currently back at home. Should have them uploaded tomorrow night.

I can't believe the two rigs made it out today and got in before it got too nasty, but I'm putting the small punt in tomorrow.
You do realise that the skipper of one of those outfits is crazy and it would have to be pretty bad for them not to launch. I talked to one of the crew that's shooting the other side and apparently there was big numbers showing up this a.m. Good luck! K

popsy
03-02-2011, 08:10 PM
lots of shooting off 80th or 88th today

Gunner
03-02-2011, 11:24 PM
You do realise that the skipper of one of those outfits is crazy and it would have to be pretty bad for them not to launch. I talked to one of the crew that's shooting the other side and apparently there was big numbers showing up this a.m. Good luck! KWhich boat has the crazy skipper Kel :mrgreen:,the one who had to leave his set out there? Gunner

Crazy_Farmer
03-03-2011, 04:53 AM
When you gotta double up the front anchor becuase you're sliding and you need to keep he front end down I think the weathers pretty good.

aliagha
03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTX-PSA3fk9FrS3pPMDRT6nwufVerDCOVLHkKEH2ACPCRvWyx-Lbw

f350ps
03-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Which boat has the crazy skipper Kel :mrgreen:,the one who had to leave his set out there? Gunner
I think you know who I'm talking about Mur, he spits alot when he's tellin ya how the birds came into the set. :-D K

fowl language
03-03-2011, 05:56 PM
one has to wonder,,when the ferries are shut down and those 2 madmen head across the bay in a 14 ft. boat.....fowl

Crazy_Farmer
03-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Global had a lady at the ferry slip and I kept expecting her to all the sudden pan out and zoom in on the guys. I can just here the reporter saying, " BC ferries are currently shutdown but there are two 14 footers battling the waves....

Not a bird flew to the inside where I was. I had 6 come down the beach and sneak in, would of been a long shot but I couldn't get my act together to even pull up them.

fowlweather
03-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Global had a lady at the ferry slip and I kept expecting her to all the sudden pan out and zoom in on the guys. I can just here the reporter saying, " BC ferries are currently shutdown but there are two 14 footers battling the waves....

Not a bird flew to the inside where I was. I had 6 come down the beach and sneak in, would of been a long shot but I couldn't get my act together to even pull up them.

sounds like fun CF... so... i heard you have a wigeon fetish... i am going with my camera to a park that has lots of them with lots of euros, maybe even a bander? i will make a post, tomorrow around this time.

longshot
03-03-2011, 08:29 PM
sounds like fun CF... so... i heard you have a wigeon fetish... i am going with my camera to a park that has lots of them with lots of euros, maybe even a bander? i will make a post, tomorrow around this time.

Be sure to pull a Jeff Foiles and take a pellet gun to the park and fill up your lanyard with illegally aquired bands! lol.

branthunter
03-03-2011, 09:33 PM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo126/branthunter/Brant/Al-Day3-2011.jpg

longshot
03-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Sweet! Awesome picture! Nice brant deeks... they obviously work! Congrats,

longshot jr.

fowlweather
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Be sure to pull a Jeff Foiles and take a pellet gun to the park and fill up your lanyard with illegally aquired bands! lol.

ah man i was thinking about it, what i would do for another euro band. Mine is locked in the safety deposit box.

Crazy_Farmer
03-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Opener

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/P1040861.jpg

fowlweather
03-04-2011, 06:19 PM
nice birds

fowl language
03-04-2011, 09:35 PM
cf, you seem to had a patch of bad luck yesterday as every time those birds got past the inside boat, headed your way there was some form or other of loud noise from either side that seemed to spook em . maybe try moving out a bit....fowl

Crazy_Farmer
03-05-2011, 05:23 AM
cf, you seem to had a patch of bad luck yesterday as every time those birds got past the inside boat, headed your way there was some form or other of loud noise from either side that seemed to spook em . maybe try moving out a bit....fowl

You talking about while we were in the middle or after we pulled to the corner? Both times we were pretty darn far from the decoys but the birds wanted to skate by. It also hurt that each time the birds came over from the south side theyd be in a couple big flocks and just follow the leader.

Thanks for the advice, we're not sure what's up, thought about the amount of yellow on the boat from the marsh paint but I think its just been location, after opener we said and planned on hunting a certain area, and somehow we talked ourselves out of it yesterday when we should of stuck to the original plan.

branthunter
03-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Best part of brant season this year---- getting Jessie her 1st brant retrieve.

http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo126/branthunter/Brant/IMGP6221.jpg

Manitobasnows
03-15-2011, 05:04 PM
I would love to go on a brant hunt some day. We shot one here once in a snowgoose spread in the middle of a barley field!