PDA

View Full Version : 3D shoot stake distances'

Ruger4
03-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Most clubs set there shooting stake distance for the most part as each club see's fit.

Is there any written rule or suggested actual maximum distance for each category/class of shooter , the cubs/juniors, ladies, recurve etc

what are your club maximum's..............

BHarp
03-01-2011, 04:57 PM
If you go to the FCA website:
http://www.fca.ca/en/judging-and-rules/rule-book.html
They have rules for pretty much everything you can think of. I checked and on page 103 they list the maximum shooting distances for each shooting class. This is what we go by when setting up a 3D.

Bow Walker
03-01-2011, 06:00 PM
You'll find that the terrain and the number of targets in that given area have a lot to do with shot distances for a 3D shoot. Kinda depends on how much room there is and how many targets that are being squeezed into that space. Safety is the biggest factor.

But - 99% of the time (in my experience) shots are kept under 50 yards unless they are of the "fun" type of shot. Say 60 - 70 yards at an antelope or a moose.

dave*
03-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I have been to a few shoots in WA state that had some true ballistic distance shots in the 60 yard range with a point A to B linear distance in the 65 -68 yard range that have cost me.

I had gotten used to being up here with the 50 yard TBD rule of thumb being followed, I tell you with the arrow bleeding off energy at a rapid rate past 50yards a 8-10 yard range screw up can really mess up your shot.

D*

Bow Walker
03-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Shot at an Elk one time, it was between the morning and the afternoon sessions of the regular 3 shoot. Anyone interested could purchase tickets good for 3 arrows and have a go at the animal. Closest to the kill zone won the 50/50 split.

The Elk was out there at 115 yards. A lot of fun and generated a goodly amount of interest, as I recall.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-01-2011, 10:01 PM
But - 99% of the time (in my experience) shots are kept under 50 yards unless they are of the "fun" type of shot . Say 60 - 70 yards at an antelope or a moose.....
You my friend have never been to Greg Nielsons Camp He Ho Ha shoot .... think 67 yard Goose in a field ....Bald field ...no referance points at all ... I was happy to hit it(a .029 pin covered the entire animal except for neck and head) I actually took a 10 on it ... the sun shines on every dogs ass once in a while

His shoots are not sanctioned ... they are just a fun shoot that raises money to send kids with disabilities to camp ... I think last one raised 150 some grr ... 2 classes ...Extreme(from stake) and fun (anywhere you want)

But ya ... FCA loosely follows the IBO rules ..pins and open class are 50 yards women and old people are 40... hunter class is 30 or 35 , sticks are 30 generally ...without looking

Bow Walker
03-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Was a cloudy day when I shot at that darned elk! No joy in Mudville for this dog's ass....

Came close though.

Bowzone_Mikey
03-02-2011, 12:29 PM
Was a cloudy day when I shot at that darned elk! No joy in Mudville for this dog's ass....

Came close though.

thats funny ...21st target out of 20 at some shoot in the porcupine hills some years ago was a buffalo with a spot .... the buffalo looked like an anerexic bear from the stake ..... shoot an arrow at it an leave it there ... they were collected at the end of the day ..... i wanna say it was pushing 150 yards ... I dont know where I hit but there was dirt on my arrow when I got it back and I was not the winner