PDA

View Full Version : grizz double header

trapman
03-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Both my wife and I recieved draws for grizz this year .Mine in 7-2 Which I have been to a few times but years ago ,and my wife's draw is 4-18 which was her second choice and we know nothing about .Any info on these areas would greatly be appreciated . I got a nice one last year in 7-28 so if you got that draw ,I have some info for you

BlacktailStalker
03-01-2011, 12:25 PM
You sure arent being very sensitive to us less fortunate :lol:
Two draws in a row ? Good luck.

16ga
03-01-2011, 12:33 PM
4-18 is very rugged and steep, I hope you are experienced mountain hunters. After some tough days don't forget to go for a soak in Ainsworth hotsprings.

Nice bear you got in 7-28, my old stomping grounds.

Barracuda
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
mines in 7-2 also . i have some conflicting info and gps cooordanants so i am a bit ??

what can you tell me about the access, snow conditions ,etc on 7-2 closer to the mica end on the east and west side

trapman
03-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Sorry BlacktaitStalker there were many many years of nil so I will take them if I can

BCrams
03-01-2011, 01:19 PM
mines in 7-2 also . i have some conflicting info and gps cooordanants so i am a bit ??

what can you tell me about the access, snow conditions ,etc on 7-2 closer to the mica end on the east and west side

Nothing conflicting about the information I gave you via PM unless its your other source :)

From Mica its 25 km by boat just to the 7-02 boundary. Not sure why you would want to do that though when there aren't any slides to hunt off the lake like there is at the southern end of that lake in region 4.

Your best bet is to drive up to Valemount with quads / snowshoes and access 7-02 and hunt the drainages off the east side of the lake. The lower road along the lake will be clear and access will typically be good all the way to Hugh Allen but then you'll want the quad ... followed by snowshoe / foot to access the slides off the side drainages. If you go later, the snow will be clear and you can drive most roads except for ones deactivated where a quad is better.

IMO - wasting your time with the boat for 7-02

Barracuda
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
The original person i got the information seems somewhat confused i think , Thanks for the info what about snow mobile?

Ruger4
03-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Both my wife and I recieved draws for grizz this year .Mine in 7-2 Which I have been to a few times but years ago ,and my wife's draw is 4-18 which was her second choice and we know nothing about .Any info on these areas would greatly be appreciated . I got a nice one last year in 7-28 so if you got that draw ,I have some info for you

I'd recognise that bald head anywhere !!!
even in a picture that small !!!
meet ya at the local saloon in Revelstoke for a double shot of jack in the dustiest bar glass the ye old bartender can find !!! :tongue:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info what about snow mobile?

No-no in 7-2

"

Snowmobiles for Hunting Closed

Areas:

The operation of snowmobiles

for the purpose of hunting, to transport

wildlife, to transport firearms or equipment

and supplies which are intended

for or in support of hunting, or to transport
hunters to and from the location
of wildlife is prohibited in these areas.

MUs 7-2 to 7-18, 7-23 to 7-30
7-37 to 7-39

▼ from Mar. 31 to Nov. 30.

SSS

Barracuda
03-01-2011, 02:43 PM
one less thing to worry about :tongue:

Stone Sheep Steve
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
one less thing to worry about :tongue:

Just go buy some tracks!!!:cool::cool:

SSS

trapman
03-03-2011, 05:30 PM
any one hunted in 7-18 with info doesn't need to be about grizz, more about the area would be great
Thanks

moosinaround
03-03-2011, 05:46 PM
any one hunted in 7-18 with info doesn't need to be about grizz, more about the area would be great
Thanks
Boy you sure like the tough areas! 7-18 is a rough ole road to get into now!! Make sure you take everything you will need with you, cause it is a long ways in there. Good Grizz area, and moose too! Lots of hunters in the fall, almost all gravel pits and pull outs full of hunters. Lots of folks on the Mcgregor and Herrick rivers too! There's moose there, but they are not as easy as they once were. Moosin

trapman
03-17-2011, 10:08 AM
sounds like there is going to be a little more snow than normal in region 7,so went out and bought some tracks for the quad .Any more info on areas 7-2 and 7-18 would be great
Thanks for the help

todbartell
03-17-2011, 12:35 PM
yeehaw! git'r dun! good luck!

4 point
03-17-2011, 03:56 PM
Go out and buy a couple Lotto tickets. With your luck with LEH draws who knows. Good luck with this years gb hunts.

.330 Dakota
03-17-2011, 06:17 PM
Im still snivelling about the bear he shot in 7-28, I was there last spring and saw nuthin....and if Im not mistaken wasnt that bear a 9 footer?

Nathaniel Poe
03-17-2011, 07:03 PM
well some hunters rely on luck, others on skill. Seperates the men from the boys!! Did you get off the quad? :D

trapman
03-17-2011, 10:54 PM
9foot 1 and the skull measured after a year 25 and 13/16 real big for a interior bear .Now its my wifes turn would love any info to make her huntas great as mine

GoatGuy
03-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Nothing conflicting about the information I gave you via PM unless its your other source :)

From Mica its 25 km by boat just to the 7-02 boundary. Not sure why you would want to do that though when there aren't any slides to hunt off the lake like there is at the southern end of that lake in region 4.

Your best bet is to drive up to Valemount with quads / snowshoes and access 7-02 and hunt the drainages off the east side of the lake. The lower road along the lake will be clear and access will typically be good all the way to Hugh Allen but then you'll want the quad ... followed by snowshoe / foot to access the slides off the side drainages. If you go later, the snow will be clear and you can drive most roads except for ones deactivated where a quad is better.

IMO - wasting your time with the boat for 7-02

There are slides in 7-2 just north of the 4-40 7-02 boundary on the main stem, east side. Haven't hiked into them but have hiked into the ones south of there. Per the wet country it's usually tough slogging but can be rewarding.

I'd be checking the lake in April. Usually lots of bears hit the grass flats first thing - can be really, really good.

NorthernWeatherby
03-18-2011, 03:35 PM
I had a draw in 7-2 last year. We went to the east side of the lake, and saw very little fo bears, but a lot of sign. May 20th or so, was way too early, and there was a lot more snow this year. If you camp on the east side spend time glassing the west side while you eat your lunch.....lots of bears coming out in the afternoons. I would agree that Quads and snowshoes are in order.

I have been lucky enough to be drawn in 7-27, which was not any choice that I made for myself.....?? But I will hunt it any way. Does anyone have any advice on that area? I used to work around middle river, but did not spend a lot of time there in the spring.

GoatGuy
03-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I had a draw in 7-2 last year. We went to the east side of the lake, and saw very little fo bears, but a lot of sign. May 20th or so, was way too early, and there was a lot more snow this year. If you camp on the east side spend time glassing the west side while you eat your lunch.....lots of bears coming out in the afternoons. I would agree that Quads and snowshoes are in order.

The bears are out in April there every year, snow or not. The latest we ever hunted g bears in that country is May long. ;)

trapman
03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
any more info on 7-2 and 7-18 would be great and if you need any on 7-28 I could help

Husky7mm
03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Sure alot of leh given for 7.02 in the last few years.
You might have to make 2 trips up there. First one in late april, early may after some of the south slopes have opened up along the lake and then if you didnt get a grizz go up agian just after the may long to hunt the side draws and valleys up from the lake. Some areas are grown in thick and green and others will still be full out winter. Grizzlies are very familiar with the sound of a quad so you should park it and snowshoe up the last few k's. Take 2 quads one with tires and one with tracks. Take waiders. Shoot every wolf you see. Do the moose a favour and take a few black bears too. Good luck.