PDA

View Full Version : Talkin' Turkey Twice - Okanagan Turkey Calling Clinic

GrouseRiver
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
Just a friendly note to let everyone know that we will be hosting a Turkey calling clinic in Kelowna on Saturday, March 19th.

Details can be found on the website here. (http://www.grouseriver.com/category_s/449.htm)

The event will be feature local professional hunter, writer, and outdoor expert Othmar Vohringer in a morning seminar and Q&A session followed by two in-depth field sessions where Othmar will take you all the way from basic turkey hunting techniques to the advanced strategies that will put the odds in your favour on the biggest, baddest Toms. In order to ensure a quality experience, space is limited for the two field sessions.

Please feel free to email info@grouseriver.com or call 1-877-547-6873 should you have any questions or to purchase tickets. Tickets may also be purchased directly from the website by clicking the link above. We look forward to seeing you there!

300H&H
02-28-2011, 10:52 PM
I just saw this on your www.
I think I am going to sign up for the "all day" course.
Only a month and a half till opening day.

huntwriter
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
I am looking forward to do this and meet with many avid turkey hunters of all skill levels. This will be a fun filled day. Don't forget to bring your own friction calls too as there will be short one-to-one calling lessons, I even will tune the calls for you for that perfect pitch gobblers love to hear.

urbanhermit
03-01-2011, 07:16 PM
do you cover the hoot owl locators calls as well, tough to get those sounding right.

bcbrez
03-01-2011, 07:50 PM
Damn I'd be there if I didn't have to be in Calgary. Might have to hook up with someone after to see how it was.

huntwriter
03-01-2011, 08:59 PM
do you cover the hoot owl locators calls as well, tough to get those sounding right.

Here in BC I only cover the crow call. The reason for that is that we do not have many owls and besides that, owls are mainly active at night. Crows on the other hand are everywhere and active very early in the morning and throughout the day. The idea with locator calls is to use a sound that turkeys are familiar with. Although a tom will answer to any sudden loud noise (shock gobble) even a car horn, some less familiar sounds will also put them on alert, such as coyote howls, eagle/hawk scream, owl or a peacock where there are none.

huntwriter
03-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Just finished the BC Hunting Show seminars, a huge success according to the feedback the organizers received, and now look forward to the seminar/s on March 19 at Grouse River Outfitters.:-D I should have my voice back by then.:mrgreen:

huntwriter
03-10-2011, 08:24 PM
I've just been informed that there are still a few places to fill for our seminar.

Sign up here (http://www.grouseriver.com/category_s/449.htm). I promise you this will be the best turkey hunting seminar you've ever attended. It is most certainly the most comprehensive I have ever had the pleasure of attending as an instructor. On this seminar you will learn in a day what otherwise would takes years to achieve.

300H&H
03-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I went down to Grouse River and signed up today.
See you in a week.
Gobble-cluck-purr

mark
03-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Here in BC I only cover the crow call. The reason for that is that we do not have many owls and besides that, owls are mainly active at night. Crows on the other hand are everywhere and active very early in the morning and throughout the day. The idea with locator calls is to use a sound that turkeys are familiar with. Although a tom will answer to any sudden loud noise (shock gobble) even a car horn, some less familiar sounds will also put them on alert, such as coyote howls, eagle/hawk scream, owl or a peacock where there are none.

I was out hunting turks once, hen clucking often.....then my cell phone rang, and 2 jakes went nuts, killed 1 within minutes! :-D

huntwriter
03-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I was out hunting turks once, hen clucking often.....then my cell phone rang, and 2 jakes went nuts, killed 1 within minutes! :-D

Jakes will come running to everything you throw at them. If they walk away from it alive they are educated. :wink: A fully mature tom that has seen and heard it all is a very different story and thus more challenging to fool. I will cover all that and more in the seminar.:wink:

huntwriter
03-13-2011, 12:39 PM
I went down to Grouse River and signed up today.
See you in a week.
Gobble-cluck-purr

Looking forward to meet you again and many other hunters too. It will be a great fun filled day.

300H&H
03-14-2011, 01:08 AM

Mark...you have been out more than that !

At least you have said as much.

Or do you mean "one time" ?

GrouseRiver
03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
Just a quick note to let everyone know that the field component of the Turkey Calling Seminar will be taking place at the Joe Rich Sportsman's Association, as the group has very generously given us the use of their facility for the duration of the day.

Tickets are still available for both the Introductory and Advanced field sessions, as well as for the morning seminar, and we would love to see as many folks out as possible. It is shaping up to be a great day and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there.

As always, feel free to call 1-877-547-6873 with any questions or concerns you might have.

Take care!