PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Spectacle of Goose "hunt"

longshotz
02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
While walking my dogs today by the Pitt Meadows Airport I saw what was the most pathetic and sorry spectacle of my 45 years hunting.

A jet boat carrying 3 hunters was proceeding downstream in front of some log booms. The boat stopped about 60 yards upstream of 2 Canada Geese standing on the log boom. A hunter emerged, carrying a compound bow, from the stern of the still under power jet boat as it motored up to about 40 yards from both geese, at which time he fired an arrow. Conditions were 35 knot winds from the south and the boat bounced and jostled around making for an extremely difficult shot. One of the geese was struck and badly wounded. The mate flew off downstream. At this time 4 other non-hunters stopped to witness the goings on, camera in hand and setting up to take photos; bad stuff here. The wounded goose proceeded to flee downstream unable to fly more than a few feet at a time all the time honking loudly. Having hunted geese this was a call I had never heard before and it wouldn't take a Phd. in wildlife biology to know that this was a bird in excruciating pain. The non-hunters were busy snapping photos and (I distinctly overheard) on the cell phone to the "CO". These were not uniformed people. After 5 arrows, a boat chase the still alive floundering goose was grabbed and taken aboard, neck wrenched and it still managed to fall back into the water and be carried downstream, jet boat maneuvering in chase. Photos taken in abundance and it seems a connection made to the CO. I won't mention the comments made about f'ing hunters, brutality etc......but I think you get the idea.

This is not what we as hunters need, obviously.

What possesed these morons to do what they did? As far as I know the motor has to be off when shooting, even with a bow. And the shot itself. In that kind of wind, standing, in the stern of a bouncing boat??????

If these photos don't appear in the media we may consider ourselves as a group lucky. As to our image; one more nail in the coffin. I hope these no-minds are reading this and maybe realize the absolute stupidity of their act.

That they were archers doesn't do their sport any accolades either. One of the comments overheard was something in reference to a- - - - - - -s with sharp sticks.

Buck
02-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Not Good i have seen several Jackasses lately myself.Duck season has been closed for awhile now Gentleman.

fowlweather
02-28-2011, 07:02 PM
wow... i sometimes hunt by canoe with an electric motor, but I ALWAYS, stop, and pull up the motor. then maybe make a shot (depending on if there are people on the dike that would take pics.)

its things like this that give us a bad name

LukaTisus
02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
That's just sick and it's people like that, that make it hard for the rest of us.

Also, I was under the impression it was illegal to fire at waterfowl that were stationary on the ground? I thought it was only in flight?

gwillim
02-28-2011, 07:05 PM
On the bright side, in this age of cell phones and digital cameras, morons are less likely to go un-reported, and un-documented.

Chuck
02-28-2011, 07:09 PM
Definitely not good, gentlemen.

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 07:12 PM
the new regs say that your powerboat has to be anchored or has to be on land.
you cant just tilt the engine up anymore.
not so for a row boat or canoe that is propelled by paddles only
it is legal to shoot migratory game birds at rest or on the wing just not considered as sporting by some.

Gateholio
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Ban compound bows. It's clear that the compound bow is responsible for this poor behavior.

Marc
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
it is legal to shoot migratory game birds at rest or on the wing just not considered as sporting by some.

You might want to check the regs again, quoted from the regs on page 5.

Power Boat - means a boat, canoe or yacht
powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or
other mechanical means, but does not include
a boat powered manually nor a boat with an
outboard motor provided the motor is tilted
or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready
for immediate use.

fowlweather
02-28-2011, 07:25 PM

actually it says that you can... on page 14 it states

its unlawful to shoot wildlife from a motor vehicle or a boat propelled by a motor.

on page 18it states:
its unlawful... to hunt migratory birds from a power boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immedi- ately along side a fixed hunting blind

but an exception to the rule on page 5:
Power Boat - means a boat, canoe or yacht powered by electric, gasoline, oil, steam or other mechanical means, but does not include a boat powered manually nor a boat with an outboard motor provided the motor is tilted or otherwise disengaged so as not to be ready for immediate use
this means that my canoe is legal when i cease any propulsion by motor and stop the boat, till the motor and paddle in close enough.

fowlweather
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
ah you beat me to it marc... damn... you can copy and paste faster, i like to think mine is better though :)

fowlweather
02-28-2011, 07:31 PM

if that was to me, i always wait until it is in flight before i shoot, splooshing is unsporting to the birds and not as fun or as near of an acknowledgement of shooting it on the wing

kyleklassen
02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Not Good i have seen several Jackasses lately myself.Duck season has been closed for awhile now Gentleman.geese are open

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 07:32 PM
which is exactly what i said just in a different way

silvicon
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
why the big surprice about the original post and the fall-out of?
'hunters' out and about doing their thing!

mayby out of season?

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 07:35 PM
all im saying is it is not illegal to shoot them when they are on the water.just because you wait till they are flying does not make it illegal to do so.
and again what i said just in a different way

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
i was agreeing with you fowlweather when i said not so if you are in a rowboat or canoe that is propelled by paddles

fowlweather
02-28-2011, 07:43 PM
i was agreeing with you fowlweather when i said not so if you are in a rowboat or canoe that is propelled by paddles

k i didnt get that i thought that was to me... ya, i think most people know it is illegal to shoot from a moving power boat, especially with an inboard

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 07:51 PM
look at #19 on page 18 green section

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 08:03 PM
i have argued this and posession limits with my father inlaw many times.
in my interpretation of the regs it is illegal to shoot waterfowl from a boat with a engine (combustion or steam) or sail unless it is sitting at anchor or on the beach or tied to a hunting blind ,as the regs say.why they say two different things on seperate pages is beyond me.
i guess if your engine is up and all momentum from engine is gone and you are using paddles now it is a rowboat.
look at #27 and# 28 one says you can the other says you cant

lorneparker1
02-28-2011, 08:23 PM
:-?
if that was to me, i always wait until it is in flight before i shoot, splooshing is unsporting to the birds and not as fun or as near of an acknowledgement of shooting it on the wing

I dont descriminate. I love to water swat.

Marc
02-28-2011, 08:25 PM
i have argued this and posession limits with my father inlaw many times.
in my interpretation of the regs it is illegal to shoot waterfowl from a boat with a engine (combustion or steam) or sail unless it is sitting at anchor or on the beach or tied to a hunting blind ,as the regs say.why they say two different things on seperate pages is beyond me.
i guess if your engine is up and all momentum from engine is gone and you are using paddles now it is a rowboat.
look at #27 and# 28 one says you can the other says you cant

It is no longer a power boat when the engine is tilted so the other regs don't apply anymore. Tilted or taken off same things in the eye of the law.

Buck
02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
geese are open

My Meaning is that i have witnessed people shooting ducks during the Goose only season.

kyleklassen
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
My Meaning is that i have witnessed people shooting ducks during the Goose only season.ummmmmmmmm o...k...

f350ps
02-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Shit like this makes my blood boil, and then we wonder why we're losing hunting areas. Then there's the other bunch of you that are arguing about what it was that these clowns did that was illegal. No wonder we're F%^ked! :confused: K

longshot
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
What a bunch of dumb f****n rejects!! I would have loved to accidently throw my knuckles under their jaws! People like this dont deserve to be involved with any type of wildlife!!!

longshot jr.

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 09:20 PM
It is no longer a power boat when the engine is tilted so the other regs don't apply anymore. Tilted or taken off same things in the eye of the law.

Gateholio
02-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Okay, it's not a powerboat anymore, that has been established...:-D

f350ps
02-28-2011, 09:27 PM
Okay, it's not a powerboat anymore, that has been established...:-D
Like I said, no wonder we're F#%ked eh Gate? Unbelievable!!! K

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 09:29 PM
but is it a rowboat if its drifting in the wind or tide.

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 09:32 PM
im ****ed your ****ed i guess were all ****ed in our own special way.
anybody else feel the need for some pop corn

mungojeerie
02-28-2011, 09:42 PM
On the bright side, in this age of cell phones and digital cameras, morons are less likely to go un-reported, and un-documented.

Im not sure there is a bright side.... Yes Morons are more likely to get caught doing unlawful and or unsportsmanlike/morally wrong deeds, which means our fantastic court system will give them a smack on the wrist if it ever makes it that far, on the other side.... the impact of the negative feedback the hunting community receives from acts like this being viewed and documented cause a much deeper wound.

sparkes3
02-28-2011, 09:45 PM
true enough mungojeerie

The Dude
02-28-2011, 10:25 PM
Well if the people were on the phone to the CO it stands to reason that they knew this was just wrong, and that these people were not fair-chase hunters, just a bunch of yahoos with toys. I hope a CO was handy enough to get these dudes, but you know how over-staffed and over-funded they are .....:cry:

longshotz
02-28-2011, 11:10 PM
Shit like this makes my blood boil, and then we wonder why we're losing hunting areas. Then there's the other bunch of you that are arguing about what it was that these clowns did that was illegal. No wonder we're F%^ked! :confused: K
It is dissappointing to see the bulk of the input here is to be a debate over the motor and/or powered boat issue, when in fact it is the whole ethics of the matter.

This was, by any commonly accepted standard that I am aware of, a low percentage high risk shot. The result was a badly crippled bird in what degree of agony no one can fathom. Is this how we want to present ourselves to the non-hunting public? Not to mention motoring up to a pair of stationary geese in a boat. How sporting is that?

And what of archery itself? It was clearly overheard by me the comment about "assholes using sharp sticks" How much of a stretch is it until the anti's start up the ban bow hunting bandwagon?

If the depth of our concern is not any greater than what we see as our personal and individual interpretation of some obscure regulation about motors and power boats, then we will truly be the authors of our own demise.

aliagha
02-28-2011, 11:15 PM
It is dissappointing to see the bulk of the input here is to be a debate over the motor and/or powered boat issue, when in fact it is the whole ethics of the matter.

This was, by any commonly accepted standard that I am aware of, a low percentage high risk shot. The result was a badly crippled bird in what degree of agony no one can fathom. Is this how we want to present ourselves to the non-hunting public? Not to mention motoring up to a pair of stationary geese in a boat. How sporting is that?

And what of archery itself? It was clearly overheard by me the comment about "assholes using sharp sticks" How much of a stretch is it until the anti's start up the ban bow hunting bandwagon?

If the depth of our concern is not any greater than what we see as our personal and individual interpretation of some obscure regulation about motors and power boats, then we will truly be the authors of our own demise.

^^^^^^^^liked^^^^^

JCVD
03-01-2011, 12:04 AM
I highly doubt that this story is in anyway true. Especially when the news seems to think that rehashing a report on the Olympics and a drunk guy using his cellphone to call for help are amazing headline stories. This would easily have been in/on the news if it happened like this at all. :cool:

akyne
03-01-2011, 12:20 AM
I highly doubt that this story is in anyway true. Especially when the news seems to think that rehashing a report on the Olympics and a drunk guy using his cellphone to call for help are amazing headline stories. This would easily have been in/on the news if it happened like this at all. :cool:

Really? I hate for my first post on the forum here to be a blatant rebuttal, but what would the original poster have to gain from fabricating this story? Just because it didn't make the news, you assume it's a fairy tale???:???:

akyne
03-01-2011, 12:26 AM
The fact of the matter is that like anything in this world, there's a small, albeit visible faction amongst hunters that have no regard for ethics, common sense, or the improvement of public perception of our beloved sport and will be forever a roadblock in the way of removing the long-held stereotypes of the ignorant, redneck hunter from society.

JCVD
03-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Really? I hate for my first post on the forum here to be a blatant rebuttal, but what would the original poster have to gain from fabricating this story? Just because it didn't make the news, you assume it's a fairy tale???:???:

Because half the crazy stories on here about people randomly seeing poachers/poaching in action etc. are BS. Also if there were that many anti's on their phones to presumably the co's and the police, I would think that it would easily make the news. The original poster has the satisfaction of creating a shit storm convo. Like a troll getting satisfaction of getting a rise out of people or any other wannabe internet discussion king. Is this your first forum?

akyne
03-01-2011, 12:44 AM
Regardless of whether or not this exact incident actually occurred in the manner described by the O.P., this type of behavior does happen on a regular enough basis. You don't have to spend long in an over-populated metropolis like Vancouver to see this "I don't give a ****" mentality in anything that requires even a small amount of common sense. Most rules and regulations that we encounter in our day-to-day lives are the result of people in the past refusing to exercise even the smallest amount of diligence, whether it's driving a car, having a drink, hunting etc, etc.

akyne
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
The original poster has the satisfaction of creating a shit storm convo. Like a troll getting satisfaction of getting a rise out of people or any other wannabe internet discussion king. Is this your first forum?

I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, at least initially, rather than making a blind assumption that they're flat out lying.

Spy
03-01-2011, 12:50 AM
I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, at least initially, rather than making a blind assumption that they're flat out lying.

X2 Why would the guy lie?:confused:

JCVD
03-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Sounds made up to me. Like a movie or a big story. I have spent my whole life hunting more days in the woods than most people spend @ work and have yet to see 1% of the kind of yarns spun on this site about behavior like this while hunting. Usually littering, violating the fire bans are the #1 violations I have personally witnessed. I have seen a few hunters with loaded guns and beers in hand as well. This scenario and other tales I have read on this site sound plain silly. I would say he saw a guy in a boat shoot a goose with a compound bow. End of story. If a bunch of people called around and took a ton of pics they would have been mentioned in the media by now I am sure.

Spy
03-01-2011, 01:12 AM
Sounds made up to me. Like a movie or a big story. I have spent my whole life hunting more days in the woods than most people spend @ work and have yet to see 1% of the kind of yarns spun on this site about behavior like this while hunting. Usually littering, violating the fire bans are the #1 violations I have personally witnessed. I have seen a few hunters with loaded guns and beers in hand as well. This scenario and other tales I have read on this site sound plain silly. I would say he saw a guy in a boat shoot a goose with a compound bow. End of story. If a bunch of people called around and took a ton of pics they would have been mentioned in the media by now I am sure.

So you are Calling Longshotz a lier? WoW!!

JCVD
03-01-2011, 01:15 AM
So you are Calling Longshotz a lier? WoW!!

Call it like I see it. Is there proof? No.

fearnodeer
03-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Someone explain to me what this is all about again i got off track when the arguing got started a few pages back, reminds me of fighting as a kid, no you shut up, no you shut up.

urbanhermit
03-01-2011, 07:53 AM
Can someone post a link to the story if and when it breaks in the news....

Walksalot
03-01-2011, 07:58 AM
I think it is grossly unfair to all sports persons to call these idiots hunters. I think this idiots should be stripped naked and thrown amongst an irate gaggle of geese.:-D

shotgunjohn
03-01-2011, 08:57 AM
People who deliberately break game laws are poachers , not hunters. If we as hunters don't make the distinction how can we expect the public to?

03-01-2011, 09:13 AM
While hunting in the EK a few years ago, I came upon the camp of a few fellow "hunters". We started chatting and they told me about their bowhunting exploits. They were from Chilliwack, and told my how they hunt geese with bows down there. One guy told me how he shot at a goose and hit it in the bill, cutting it off. He was almost rolling on the ground laughing about how comical it was. The thought of a goose with its bill cut-off dying a slow death sickened me. I thought the guy was a sadistic ****.

He then proceded to tell me how they shot at a running bull elk at about 400 yards the day before, but "didn't think they hit it". Also shot at a cow elk a couple days earlier (had a senior with them), and told me she cartwheeled down a bank after they shot her, but they couldn't find her. The guy was actually so stupid as to say "I think she probably lived".

It really angered me to think that the non-hunting public would lump me in the same group as those morons.

troutseeker
03-01-2011, 10:27 AM
It had to be an expensive day on the water, shooting all them arrows on ly to watch them sink...

Angus
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Because half the crazy stories on here about people randomly seeing poachers/poaching in action etc. are BS. Also if there were that many anti's on their phones to presumably the co's and the police, I would think that it would easily make the news. The original poster has the satisfaction of creating a shit storm convo. Like a troll getting satisfaction of getting a rise out of people or any other wannabe internet discussion king. Is this your first forum?

That's enough out of you. You are way out of line.

The OP is a friend and hunting partner of mine, who I respect and enjoy partaking in his company. His ethics are beyond reproach.

For you to suggest he made this up, it appears that you are spending way too much time in the back woods with your friend in your avatar photo. Is this your first forum?

Were you out in a jet boat on the Pitt River in the last couple of days??

The OP volunteers his time with his Rod and Gun club, heading up the youth firearms camp in the summer, and represents his club on a couple of outdoor boards and committees. Check out some of his earlier posts, especially the one where he responds to a letter to the editor regarding hunter/non-hunter interactions on the Pitt Meadows dykes. The same area where the current atrocity happened.

He has only but one reason to report seeing such activities: it happened and he witnessed it. For you to suggest otherwise is just assinine.

No soup for you.

sparkes3
03-01-2011, 06:19 PM
i think idiots breaking rules ,ethics and fair chase is what this thread was about .
sorry i went off on different trail

urbanhermit
03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
is it in the media yet?

Walksalot
03-02-2011, 10:34 AM
That's enough out of you. You are way out of line.

The OP is a friend and hunting partner of mine, who I respect and enjoy partaking in his company. His ethics are beyond reproach.

For you to suggest he made this up, it appears that you are spending way too much time in the back woods with your friend in your avatar photo. Is this your first forum?

Were you out in a jet boat on the Pitt River in the last couple of days??

The OP volunteers his time with his Rod and Gun club, heading up the youth firearms camp in the summer, and represents his club on a couple of outdoor boards and committees. Check out some of his earlier posts, especially the one where he responds to a letter to the editor regarding hunter/non-hunter interactions on the Pitt Meadows dykes. The same area where the current atrocity happened.

He has only but one reason to report seeing such activities: it happened and he witnessed it. For you to suggest otherwise is just assinine.

No soup for you.

When I first read this post I when to the public profile. After looking at his public profile I deduced this was legitimate as why would a person with his credentials have to make up a story?

NitwiT
03-02-2011, 11:28 AM
I would take longshots word over JCVD's (whatever) any day of the week and twice on this day. Kind of hoping it was a pathetic attempt at trolling in a thread that started off with legitimate concerns. How can we rid ourselves of this image of barbarism? As everyone knows, it takes one bad apple to taint the barrel, and in this wonderful age of instantly accesible international media, doesnt take long for that apple to taint every apple everywhere.

Problem is, guys doing this, think its great, and its "hunting", and won't do anything different.

Should also add, I hope you noticed that most of the notable poor behaviour has occured while duck/goose hunting. If your unaware, this sport happens to very much be in the public eye, whereas all those wonderful days you spent out hunting in the middle of nowhere, doesnt really happen to be a local dog walk.

Get my drift?

urbanhermit
03-02-2011, 01:03 PM
has the story been picked up yet?

Mr. Dean
03-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Sounds made up to me.

Actually, I'm not surprised.
I've witnessed far worse on the Fraser River.

Big locales have tendency to hold some real asshats. :sad:
It's a numbers thing...

Now EVERYONE, play nice.

mungojeerie
03-02-2011, 08:34 PM
Actually, I'm not surprised.
I've witnessed far worse on the Fraser River.

If the sport fishery got half as much attention/opposition as hunting does it would have been banned long ago.

I do a lot of fishing, almost exclusively fly fishing, but this year I broke out the ol' bottom bouncing rod, dusted it off and did my part at making my girlfriend happy by putting plenty of sockeye in the freezer and on the table.

I have to say that the day I decided to go by car/foot and fish Peg Leg... what a spectacle. I saw it all and ended up leaving as I was sure someone was going to get shot. People cursing at each other chucking weights at each other across the river, yelling every obscenity and racial slur there was and more, guys coming to fists, guys getting thrown in the river, vehicles getting kicked and threats of every kind, not to mention half the yahoos out there with unimaginable gear doing things that Im still shaking my head over.... what a show, I left sickened and stuck to days I could make it out with my cousin in his boat.