PDA

View Full Version : Hunting in Okanagan

C.Groves
02-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Hey Guys,

I am actually starting my CORE & PAL course today, I am getting super excited as I have always been enthused about hunting and fishing.

I live in Kelowna and was wondering if anyone could give me tips to area's that they know are a good starting spot. Walking in, Drive in, it don't matter.

Thanks!
Casey

snareman1234
02-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Go out for spring bear from april-june 15

South facing slopes, anywhere open and grassy.

up highway 33, off the side roads,

or in christian valley I saw some bear.

Try bear creek on the west side.

Jelvis
02-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Casey hey. Region 8: Okanagan +++ Kelowna area +++ In MU 8-11 for instance
In MU 8-11 reached from Hwy 97 through Westbank, or from the Peachland-Kelowna backroad.
mu 8-11 has special bow season and it like ah is quite popular some say the best in the whole fam damily.
Heavy duty leh otherwise so go for a leh of some sort in MU 8-11.
This is a close mu by Kelowna also
MU 8-10 Kelowna-Winfield east Hwy 33 shoots down the middle of 8-10 go McCulloch and Pipeline roads for a toad ( big animal )
Logging mains hangin off HWY 33 pass through real good mule deer and whitetail hunting so that should keep you busier than a one armed paper hanger.
Don't forget Winfield area hunters are real good at what they do so get to know a hunter from Winny Field, wood be great for you, but be patient.
The Beaver/Dee Lakes road in from Winfield which is on hwy 97 the beaver-dee road runs like a deer through good (good) dingy dong deer hunting both kinds, BAM! You keep going you come out on Hwy 6 at Lavington.
If you like mountain hiking style hunting for deer, this whole area will knock your socks off.
I'll give yah one more jellypick for knottinck lol ..
MU 8-08
If you like Summerland, Trout on a Darke Lake there's a segway ..lol
I pick the Brenda-Mine road from Peachland runs into good mule deer ridges in 8-8. use map.
Can try Kathleen Mountain or Glen Lake area too .. fair deer hunting ..
if you want to see a super mule deer late season hunting area head up the Bald Range once and flip your wig.
You drive high above Trout Lake through range land on your way, drive half way down the Bald Range then go to the top of the ridge on an old road. Lots a hunters but hey why are they there? lol. Ding Dong!
Jelly Picks for Kay town area Kay Loan Ah Kelowna B.C. Region 8 ..
I can give yah all of em if you say any tutherz?

troutseeker
02-28-2011, 04:57 PM
Just remember to leavethe dirt jumpers at home!

Jelvis
02-28-2011, 05:23 PM
Personally I would hunt on the west side of Okanagan lake for whitetail and for mule deer either single or combined. check BC hunting reg's.
Or try East of Penticton MU 8-09 hey good whitetail and mule hunting try in from Okanagan Falls, connect with 201 Main hunt the Okanagan Mountain and any burned over areas with in the last eight years around Kelowna for deer or elk. once again check gos and leh.
Head up the Chute Lake road up from Naramata best place for elk and the deer are there with the elk.
Jelly pickerz .. Go up the Chute .. Chute Lake Road for a joy ride ... in 8-09

Jagermeister
02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
If you're hunting alone, make sure someone knows where you will be hunting. Include all areas intended so if you are not in your prime choice, at least searchers will know your other choices.
Get to know an area, pattern your game. You can only do that by hiking and observing.
Whitetails are sneaky, they will circle behind you if you jump them, they have to be pushed hard to vacate their "neighbourhood".
Mule deer on the other hand will book it for the next mountain.
Learn to have patience and avoid chasing them. Deer have a tendency to not look up, but that doesn't mean that you can skyline yourself, if you're at the top of the hill, walk below the crest.
Go right along Gordon Road, right on Dehart, left on Lakeshore, left on Chute Lake Road. Find a parking spot and start hiking.
Belgo Road area too.

Jelvis
02-28-2011, 07:19 PM
Why not take a pre-scout up the Vernon way it's no problem driving up.
..MU 8-22 hunt like a King's kid up King Edward lake area drive the logging roads for mule deer and whitetail and their both good in here if yah hit it right on.
Also up Aberdeen Lake area whoa knarly man, come in from Lavington using good log road which meets the Beaver-Dee Lake road. Lot's of friendly hunterz. Willy Waylon and the Boyz .. they got it
MU 8-22 .. catch22 .. Vernon .. pheasant under glass .. succulent quail .. morning dove .. in the valley ..

nolan-sawka
02-28-2011, 08:06 PM
casey hit me up anytime ill take you out. go for bear this year i know some sick spots for big boys and when sept comes you can def come alog check my pics on fb and see a few deer iv got theres alots more i dont have on there

Jelvis
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
If you get a chance to hunt this area of MU 8-11 if it's in your Powers creek up to your Shorts Creek lol, two hints right there. lol.
We're talkin Westbank - Westside Road
Just south of Westbank a decent road climbs up from Hwy 97 to the old Last Mountain ski hill connecting with Peachland-Kelowna back road 24km along near Lamby Lake. About 3 k b4 that junction a rather rough road heads over to Jackpine Lake. All good mule deer hunting in this above area.
Good bow hunting country for deer ..
You can continue up hill to Pennask Lake for some good hunting for deer.
or by hunting along the Esperon Main, which branches out into the network of roads.
Don't shoot the California sheep up Shorts Creek lol no open season ......lol
Jel compare this 8-11 to my last 8-11

brazen
02-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Hey Casey and nolan, I'm in Westbank, totally green, could go get my number this week but not taking firearms till end of April. I'd LOVE a hunter's view of the backroads, if you guys might want an extra pack hauler and question asker ever, if it might work out. I have a LOT of questions. I can be quiet for long periods of time but I have to shift my feet. Would like to learn some of the ropes come fall without bothering anybody too much. Need a tour guide, might be more enjoyable with somebody else new? I'm a girl though, if that matters, and not the hardiest rock climber or anything, but I can carry some weight. What say?!

Jelvis
02-28-2011, 10:06 PM
If you want a place for both whitetail and mule deer not a long ways from Kelowna but has fair to good mule and whitetail deer country try ..............
MU 8-21 .. Whiteman Creek -- Pinaus Lake .. both places amazing .. Pinaus is crazy .. with hunt country
Drive in from Westside Road along Okanagan Lake, also from near Falkland.
This area has been logged of beetle kill years ago and is prime for deer habitat with new growth rising up for feed. Wide open in some spots heavier bush in others, hunt above the I.R. and your in big buck country.
Roads can get snotty after a good rain or melt but the country is amazing to the hunters eyes. Ravines and ridges and logged area from years ago.
Both deer up on the Whiteman creek and some willy wonkerz
JP .. More gun .. so big I went .......................silly Bonkerz

nolan-sawka
02-28-2011, 10:15 PM
yeah im sure we could work something out if you wanna just shoot me a pm anytime

Hey Casey and nolan, I'm in Westbank, totally green, could go get my number this week but not taking firearms till end of April. I'd LOVE a hunter's view of the backroads, if you guys might want an extra pack hauler and question asker ever, if it might work out. I have a LOT of questions. I can be quiet for long periods of time but I have to shift my feet. Would like to learn some of the ropes come fall without bothering anybody too much. Need a tour guide, might be more enjoyable with somebody else new? I'm a girl though, if that matters, and not the hardiest rock climber or anything, but I can carry some weight. What say?!

C.Groves
02-28-2011, 11:24 PM
If you want a place for both whitetail and mule deer not a long ways from Kelowna but has fair to good mule and whitetail deer country try ..............
MU 8-21 .. Whiteman Creek -- Pinaus Lake .. both places amazing .. Pinaus is crazy .. with hunt country
Drive in from Westside Road along Okanagan Lake, also from near Falkland.
This area has been logged of beetle kill years ago and is prime for deer habitat with new growth rising up for feed. Wide open in some spots heavier bush in others, hunt above the I.R. and your in big buck country.
Roads can get snotty after a good rain or melt but the country is amazing to the hunters eyes. Ravines and ridges and logged area from years ago.
Both deer up on the Whiteman creek and some willy wonkerz
JP .. More gun .. so big I went .......................silly Bonkerz

Jelvis, thanks for all your help and suggestions! I really appreciate it! I hope I will have all my licenses back in the mail by Bear Season.

I don't know if I can shoot a bear just yet, maybe, we will see when the time comes. BUT I will be more then happy to join on a trip Nolan!

I was just at my Evening #1 of my course and I am just getting amped up for the season to start.

I am thinking of getting a Browning X-bolt 30-06, any suggestions?

Jelvis
02-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Well a 30-06 is a great caliber and so is a .270 or a .308.
If your doing some moose hunting a .30-06, .270.
There are occasional moose sightings on the western edge of Reg 8.
in mu's 8-06, 8-07, 8-09, and out in 8-12, 8-13, 8-23.
.. always check the season your hunting in with up to date B.C. Trapping and Hunting Regulations. Also check each new code for any leh hunts for moose in Reg 8.
Moose tend to move towards clear cuts and need water sources close by.
Jel ..

C.Groves
02-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Well a 30-06 is a great caliber and so is a .270 or a .308.
If your doing some moose hunting a .30-06, .270.
There are occasional moose sightings on the western edge of Reg 8.
in mu's 8-06, 8-07, 8-09, and out in 8-12, 8-13, 8-23.
.. always check the season your hunting in with up to date B.C. Trapping and Hunting Regulations. Also check each new code for any leh hunts for moose in Reg 8.
Moose tend to move towards clear cuts and need water sources close by.
Jel ..

Yeah I am going tomorrow to look/price out rifles. I am thinking from .270 to 30-06

I just downloaded Google Earth for my macbook and am going to label areas that I am going to scope come spring.

I wonder if there is a download for hunters that would show the MU's.

Jelvis
03-01-2011, 12:12 AM
If it was me I'd go .270 over the ott six. Lot's of speed and speed kills, accurate, tight groups, good trajectory, reaches out and lot's of real good hunters use .270.
The o6 is great also but for deer, sheep, bear, moose a .270 is more than adequate.
You guys and gals want black bear how about Mabel Lake MU's 8-24 and 8-25
Black bear are everywhere and good whitetail deer hunting with some muley.
Black bear numerous throughout MU 8-23 Lumby-Harris Creek .. go up Harris Creek road or Sugar lake road
Good luck bar hunting in MU's 8-23, 8-24, and 8-25 the black marauderz ..
Reg 8 rocks

nolan-sawka
03-01-2011, 12:42 PM
get a 7mm rem mag no problem finding shells seeing as grouse rivers in town and it'll out do the .270, super flat shooting fast. thats what id go with but then again i shoot a .338win mag rippin 300grains haha

Jelvis
03-01-2011, 05:19 PM
The size of caliber is important to choose based on animals you hunt for, thin skinned medium boned like deer, elk or sheep.
If your after Grizzly go odd six and bigger, 7mm, 300's.
The point to make is a well placed bullet from an accurate shot in the vital area is also important.
You want to start hunting around K town, then follow the posts on that subject and pick where you feel is sticking out at you like BAM! That's it.
If you want excellent deer hunting for mostly mule hey, take a jaunt out to MU 8-12 in the west Kettle
This countries got it all for the deer hunters from the entire North American continent open park land just think and imagine open park land entwined with deep ravines and rocky ridges can be reached from all sides, n,e,s,w, I think that covers all sides lol, heck Hwy 33 between Kelowna and Rock Creek intersects the dang thang for much of it's length.
The Conkle Lake road is Looky's old first picker. He said, "Son." He called every one son. The Conkle Laker road cuts through it, ah the hunting country runnin like a pole-cat from Hwy 33 near Beaverdell over dee highlands to come out on hwy 3 near Bridesville and excellent mule deer hunting all the way and whitetail shakin their tail feathers. I even seen moose once in a while, now there shortened the season on the mule early to protect dem during late fall, ok.
Thanks Looky, bless his soul.
That's it for now I gotta go look after a certain someone.
Jel .. Region 8 is cool

brazen
03-01-2011, 11:19 PM
I wonder if there is a download for hunters that would show the MU's.

This does it in Google Earth
http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/kml_files/BCGov_Wildlife_and_Plant_Species.kmz

Whole bunch more neat stuff on the web page
http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/dm/wms/index.html

C.Groves
03-04-2011, 02:38 AM
I went to Robertson's the other day to look at some firearms that I am interested in and have made my final decision!

I am getting a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 WSM with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 Scope.

What do you think?

bearhunter338-06
03-04-2011, 09:26 AM
If you want a 270, I'd go with the 270 Win. Reasoning for this you don't need a magnum. The 270 Win is capable of anything the WSM will do. You are a new shooter/hunter, you don't need the extra recoil for a little speed.

Ammo for the 270 can be had at Wall Mart, Joe Blows gas and groceries, WSM from the sporting goods store. Bear Lake Petrocan gas station and store sells 270 Win ammo, they don't sell 270 WSM ammo. Don't fall into this "you can't kill a moose unless you use a magnum" hype. I do most of my hunting using my 257 Roberts.

Shot placement is more important then speed. If your rifle is kicking your ass your not going to put that bullet where it's suppose to be to make that kick humane kill.

snareman1234
03-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I am getting a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker .270 WSM with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40 Scope.

What do you think?

I own the Abolt stainless stalker,

Awesome gun man, you wont be disapointed. I have shot 10+ deer with it
And a moose.

Shells are a little pricey, but hey, once you get it sighted in, I maybe shoot 10 rounds a year, so who cares.

its a hot load, flat shooting,

Great deer, goat, sheep, bear gun, with the ability to kill moose/elk if you choose, even though maybe a little light

Rev.
03-04-2011, 02:21 PM
A lot of great calibers out there that will fit your needs for a very long time, it is always hard to choose just one. If your really set on the 270 caliber then go with the 270win. Your ammo will be $10-$15 a box cheaper from the WSM, and no disrespect to snareman, but as a new shooter/hunter you will want to shot a little more then 10 rounds a year. Becoming a good shooter takes practice and time. The more you can get out there and shot and get to know your gun, the better.

It will only be a matter of time until you will be wanting another rifle anyway. So now that you have some experience with shooting and you feel more comfortable, go get your magnum.

You can also take that bit your saving on ammo and start to purchase some of the other things that you will be needing as a new gun owner and hunter, like a good cleaning kit and rifle case etc.

snareman1234
03-04-2011, 03:58 PM
and no disrespect to snareman, but as a new shooter/hunter you will want to shot a little more then 10 rounds a year. Becoming a good shooter takes practice and time

none taken, you are right for sure, the .270 win. would probably be a better choice, as a new hunter, you will want to shoot lots!!

Plus it will be super exciting to shoot lots for yea, and you dont want to break the bank, I pay around 60-80 for 25 shells, which is not a good idea for lots of shooting.

C.Groves
03-04-2011, 04:52 PM
I am buying my gun from Robertson's clothing and dealing with Grant. He is giving me a good deal on the set up and said he will change anything I want too within the days that I have not used the gun which could be anywhere from 1-2 months since I have to send my PAL away on monday.

I have a .22 already for shooting lots as the bullets are a dime a dozen. I know where you guys are coming from when you mean I will want to shoot a lot as every hunter needs to practice, it doesn't matter how good you are. I know this because talent only goes so far. 25% talent, 75% determination.

I will look into the caliber's more and do some research! Thanks Ya'll

OutWest
03-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I am buying my gun from Robertson's clothing and dealing with Grant. He is giving me a good deal on the set up and said he will change anything I want too within the days that I have not used the gun which could be anywhere from 1-2 months since I have to send my PAL away on monday.

I have a .22 already for shooting lots as the bullets are a dime a dozen. I know where you guys are coming from when you mean I will want to shoot a lot as every hunter needs to practice, it doesn't matter how good you are. I know this because talent only goes so far. 25% talent, 75% determination.

Good choice heading to Robertson's. Uncle Grants a great guy to deal with and gets you set up perfectly!

OutWest
03-04-2011, 06:17 PM
casey hit me up anytime ill take you out. go for bear this year i know some sick spots for big boys and when sept comes you can def come alog check my pics on fb and see a few deer iv got theres alots more i dont have on there

Ya Nolan will take ya out if you can get him away from Level and Flashbacks on the weekends haha!

troutseeker
03-04-2011, 07:12 PM

Hi Casey, good choice with Robbertson's. Grant is a standup guy who can order anything you want and will stand behind his products!

Next time you see him say him from that french cop Claude...:-D

nolan-sawka
03-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Ya Nolan will take ya out if you can get him away from Level and Flashbacks on the weekends haha!

hahahahahaha! your there just as much and you go to the ral pretty much the gayest place ever!

ufishifish2
03-04-2011, 07:41 PM
I am thinking of getting a Browning X-bolt 30-06, any suggestions?

I think that is a great idea. The .270 you mentioned is great, but the .30-06 will give you a little better versatility in the long run. You can comfortably take down every big game animal from little white-tail deer to northern Bison with the .30-06. Additionally, great choice going with the X-Bolt. It has an excellent recoil pad that will help to reduce recoil while you're learning to shoot.
Don't get me wrong, the .270 is great but you will probably find yourself wanting to go bigger after a hunting season or two. With the .30-06, you never actually have to go any bigger in this province, although if you get the "bug" you probably will!
Enjoy!!!!

knockturnal
03-04-2011, 08:05 PM
Ever thought of picking up a bow?

Jelvis
03-04-2011, 11:05 PM
If you want to hunt in a place with moderate pressure but has fair mule deer hunting you could try southeast of Princeton in MU 8-04
Reached from Copper Mountain road from Princeton.
Or take logging mains (fsr's) several of them running south from Hwy 3 between Princeton and Hedley.
MU 8-04 .. Fair mule deer .. nice country .. moderate pressure from those other hunters on your mountain lol

bearhunter338-06
03-04-2011, 11:15 PM
I have been toying with picking up the X-Bolt in 280

Jelvis
03-04-2011, 11:26 PM
My top picks would include MU 8-05 West of the Princetown lol ton.
You can get into 8-05 up the Coquihalla turn on 250 Exit Larsons Hill and go.
Or up the Otter Creek road from Princeton.
a good mule deer population, some whitetail and some elk.
Even tho this place gets it share of eager hunters you can still nail a mule deer if you hunt along road hunting or by hiking beyond some of the blocked roads by the Forestry. Go for a hike a ways ..if you like walking.
Good success ratio on this MU 8-05
Take your fishing rod and a shootgun .. ducks deer and trout ..
Jel .. good mu 8-5

Bromley
03-04-2011, 11:27 PM
Buddy I was at the Corral for the first time in 2 months last night and I can't believe I left it so long between visits. If you can't pull one outta that place you gotta be ghey.

Gentlemen, i frequent both establishments no chirpin now! theyre both great places!!!! ;) haha and yes if you cant pull from the Corrral, we have an issue!

knockturnal
03-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah, cause dealing with a bunch of wanna be cowboys, wearing cowboy hats, Affliction shirts, faded designer jeans and skate shoes on the dance floor fist pumping to a Toby Keith song is something i look forward to seeing when i go to a bar. *rolls eyes* That place peaked about 10 years ago. but, i suppose all the cidiots that go there, go there because of the plethora of women dressed up like a bad Leeane Rhymes video. I specifically love it when the overweight, muffin tops wearing skirts go ride the bull. *barfs*

bearhunter338-06
03-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Me thinks this is going the wrong way, maybe you should start your own bar thread :-)

Or a cougar hunting thread.

snareman1234
03-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Lol I hear he's more of a Gotchas/Saphire dude, gettin'r done right on the dance floor ha

Jelvis
03-05-2011, 01:40 PM
Ok K boyz and goilz I got a hunt for you in region 8 that will blow you away, hey, jel here, who else lol, I want you to hunt here take photo's here, shoot a nice buck here and put em on here.
A place to start hunting and a place to keep going.
MU 8-13 to the top, it's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll at the Summit of the Monashee.
Hwy 5 is joined by the Christian Valley road from Westbridge on Hwy 33, in MU 8-14, about one third of the way in from the west.
There is good whitetail and mule deer hunting to be found by simply hiking back a bit from Hwy 6 near the summit.
ALSO, several roads that you can drive in off the Hwy 6 leading up to alpine country and some of the best mule deer hunting in the world in our B.C. Region 8 back yard.
Take advantage of your hunting opportunity in thissy here .... Hunt$ of the Mona$hee $ummit ..
Then put up a post here on this thread, Hunting in Okanagan ..
Jel .. Do it for Looky .. he requested a few new photo's of his old spots .. looky's still with us .. says Hi

C.Groves
03-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Ever thought of picking up a bow?

Yeah I have actually. I will wait till the money isnt tight, probably around fall when I am done competiting and finally back in canada is when i will pick on up.

Im lucky I am getting a Rifle this year. :tongue:

Jelvis
03-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Whad abou the nor okanagan?
MU 8-26 cuz yoo dint tink dare waz deer dare. WRONG!
You can shoot pheasants in the main valley and head up into the hills for good mule deer hunting reach out from Mabel Lake road and Trinity Valley road it turns off at 10 K east of Enderby.
You might see an access but might have problems on some with Private Land in between can cause some locals to lose their cool.
Some of the best hunting areas are beyond these several roads with the access problems but ask around and meet some locals and hunt with some of the "incrowd", buy em a beer and attend the local fish and game club get togethers.
Jel .. chit chat over a smoothie in the summer and ask a few questions also. This is about hunting not the CIA

Jelvis
03-05-2011, 06:03 PM
If you want to hunt the most excellent area for mule deer it is the Pass Creek area north of Grand Forks in MU 8-15.
This is excellent deer hunting area and so you get the other hunters in all shapes and sizes hunting here as well. Hey, who cares if your in the right spot at the right time you get a shot, otherwise keep going your going to see a deer.
Sheep were transplanted here years ago and when sheep are put in an area, it's mule deer winter range and habitat.
Take the road north from Grand Forks along the Granby River.
then choose a road off shoot of this one and hunt or keep going all the way along til you see a nice situation.
This road runs to Edgewood on Arrow Lake.
excellent mule deer hunting up Pass Creek 21 km north of Grand Forks.
OR AND
Christina Lake has great deer hunting in all the hills around the lake.
You can get access to good mule deer hunting from Hwy 3 itself.
You want to try here the old Santa Rosa Summit road ( are you kidding me) Whoa! Drive right out of the Christina Lake Village up the Santa Rosa where the bucks are. Try it you'll love it.
Go for gos or leh on elk in this MU 8-15 in the area between Christina Lake and the Paulson bridge.
Jel .. MU 8-15 .. Grandby River -- Christina Lake ... You owe it to yourself to hunt here at least 8 times
Always check reg's yourself first .. regulations can change and so can leh ..

Fisher-Dude
03-05-2011, 08:55 PM
Go for LEH on elk in this MU 8-15 in the area between Christina Lake and the Paulson bridge.
Jel .. MU 8-15 .. Grandby River -- Christina Lake ... You owe it to yourself to hunt here at least 8 times

You owe it to yourself to get a new book. There's no LEH elk in 8-15 anymore. It is, fortunately, GOS now.

Jelvis
03-05-2011, 09:11 PM
Maybe, soon who knows, you don't know the future no one does.
Always check gos (general open season) and leh (limited entry hunting) for yourself each season these old time guys think they know it all. Hey learning the right way is important .. join a local shooting club
Jel .. Check for yourself each year, don't just go by what some senior citizen thinks he knows.

hunter1947
03-06-2011, 03:56 AM
I remember when I got my first car a station wagon and when I turned 19 I exsplored every slash I could find do the same thing and you will find if you are not 19 then head out with someone that is 19 or older to exsplore..

Jelvis
03-06-2011, 02:52 PM
From the U.S. border to OK Falls. MU 8-01 Access from Hwys 3 and 97.
from Oliver via Fairview road (west) and Camp Mckinney Road (east).
access into southern part of 8-01 from hwy 3 above Osoyoos .. the first from Osoyoos at 13 km and then 18k and finally 23k.
Good deer, grouse and bear hunting.
Check your backroads maps for detail and clarity of simple boundaries.
Jel .. MU 8-01 .. Hot stuff .. Study maps, distance from intersections, directions, land marks like mountains and hills as well as water sources, lakes, creeks and rivers and elevation at certain spots you want to visit.

C.Groves
03-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Alright guys,

.270 WSM or .270 Win or 30-06?

bearhunter338-06
03-06-2011, 04:40 PM
:-D 270 and the 30-06 will do more then you need :-D

Then when you get the hang of it get your self a 338 Win Mag, a 22, a 12ga, or 16ga, or 20ga we all need a 410 to play with, the list go's on and on and on.......

Jelvis
03-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Ok you want to hunt with some shots at deer or leh sheep, how about goat? You need a straight shooter, 3 to 12 power telescopic sight, .270 Winn. This is the Ashnola Range a fine hunting area.
MU 8-03 the one and only Ashnola River road folks. Five K west of Keremeos you see it BAM! Turn off the Hwy 3 and crosses the, the, yes, hey can you pronounce this tung twister, the Similkameen on an old covered bridge, so saw weeet. Then up you go Hugo, into hunting paradise, driving through, down the middle of ah ah, open country, read my lips, o-p-e-n country and as your vehicle sales along you get into lightly timbered ridges with many fine trophy mule deer bucks to be seen roaming the open timberlands and grassy hillsides of this wonderful MU 8-3
If a record mule deer buck doesn't fill that hunting season with elation, you can hunt for Cali's (California bighorn sheep) or try your luck and lungs for a white Rocky Mountain Goat with 10 incherz.
MU 8-3 .. Ashnola -- Cathedral Lakes .. Trophy Hunting for Mule Deer, sheep and
I got your goat .. Just go there and see for yourself .. or take a real good friend along .. 3 words ..
.......................................beyond WORLD CLASS

Gunner Staal
03-06-2011, 07:45 PM
[quote=Jelvis;872013]Ok K boyz and goilz I got a hunt for you in region 8 that will blow you away, hey, jel here, who else lol, I want you to hunt here take photo's here, shoot a nice buck here and put em on here.
A place to start hunting and a place to keep going.
MU 8-13 to the top, it's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll at the Summit of the Monashee.
Hwy 5 is joined by the Christian Valley road from Westbridge on Hwy 33, in MU 8-14, about one third of the way in from the west.
There is good whitetail and mule deer hunting to be found by simply hiking back a bit from Hwy 6 near the summit.
ALSO, several roads that you can drive in off the Hwy 6 leading up to alpine country and some of the best mule deer hunting in the world in our B.C. Region 8 back yard.
Take advantage of your hunting opportunity in thissy here .... Hunt$ of the Mona$hee $ummit ..

My Avatar photo is from the summit of the very mountains ol Jelly Bean is speaking of. Some of the nicest territory in all of B.C. in the Monashees North of Cherryville. Hunted by few but hiked by many. Outstanding spot for a high country early season velvet beast!
Then put up a post here on this thread, Hunting in Okanagan ..

Jelvis
03-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Keremeos MU 8-02 reached from Oliver-Cawston backroad.
Twin Lake road from Hwy 3A and a road 2 km west of Yellow Lake ( Green Lake road) which leaves Hwy 3A opposite the Apex Alpine ski road.
The latter runs north of 3, through the corner of 8-02, joining the Penticton-Apex road in MU 8-07, listen up, Good mule deer on high ground away from roads with good blue grouse. What more do you want?
JP .. MU 8-02

bearhunter338-06
03-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Keremeos MU 8-02 reached from Oliver-Cawston backroad.
Twin Lake road from Hwy 3A and a road 2 km west of Yellow Lake ( Green Lake road) which leaves Hwy 3A opposite the Apex Alpine ski road.
The latter runs north of 3, through the corner of 8-02, joining the Penticton-Apex road in MU 8-07, listen up, Good mule deer on high ground away from roads with good blue grouse. What more do you want?
JP .. MU 8-02

I think that is the first time I understood what Jelvis the Elvis wrought:mrgreen:.

greenhorn
03-06-2011, 11:47 PM
Alright guys,

I'd go with the ought six. It's super versatile because of the range of loads that are available. Also, if you're new to shooting you may not need the flat trajectory that people like about the .270, especially if you're going to limit yourself to 300 yards or so.

I own both and prefer the ought six.

hunter1947
03-07-2011, 03:17 AM
Get a 7mm mag this caliber is a good all around rifle to use...

Jelvis
03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
MU 8-14
Boundary Creek
The Boundary Creek road turns north from Hwy 3 just east of the CPR overpass east of Greenwood.
Off this logging main the Jewel Creek road turns right a short distance in.
Just before Jewel Lake, another right turn runs parallel to Hwy 3 but well above the valley. You want good whitetail this road is good for whites.
This road drops back down to Hwy 3 at Eholt Station.
or hunt along the old Brown Creek road for a whitetail.
GOOD, mule and whitetail hunting along the height-of-land between Boundary Creek and main Kettle River. There are several access roads.
The Roderick-Dhu-Jewel Lake area has good mule deer hunting.
Good whitetail also along the Christian Valley road if you hoof it off back from the road. Some access issues with farmers work it out.
Also good hunting access along the east side of the Kettle, reach it by crossing Five Creek or Lost Horse creek bridges.
More access from Christian Valley go up into the Lassie lake-Trapping Creek country for good mule deer and fair whitetails.
The maze of roads up there drop down between Kelowna and Carmi, providing access to virtually all the area.
Check out the elk season each year for changes in GOS or LEH and apply if applicable that season.
Jelly -- MU 8-14 .. Boundary Creek ..Muley, whites and elk.

nolan-sawka
03-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Buddy I was at the Corral for the first time in 2 months last night and I can't believe I left it so long between visits. If you can't pull one outta that place you gotta be ghey.

hahahahah ohhh i know but more then half are not so good and that keg doesnt last long enough for those girls!

nolan-sawka
03-07-2011, 01:11 PM
Lol I hear he's more of a Gotchas/Saphire dude, gettin'r done right on the dance floor ha

hahaha either or ...either or

Jelvis
03-07-2011, 01:48 PM
The MU 8-06 north east of Princeton. Hwy 5 is the western boundary of 8-06 to a point just north of Allison Lake. You can enter 8-6 from Hwy 5 on several logging roads which head up into the mu.
You can be in the central part by going on the Summers Creek road or come in from Missezula Lake road which turns east from the highway, 40 km from Princeton.
The Princeton-Summerland backroad runs just inside 8-6 to Osprey Lake. Hey fair mule deer country along the open ridges, best later in the season.
Occasional moose and some whitetail. Heavily hunted but could be fun get on a big track in fresh snow, step by step, track after track, until I see something it's a holy crap it's a ah BAM!
JP .. MU 8-06 north-east of Princeton .. Closer to the lower mainland for a shorter drive, STOP for cafe Princeton
We'll get there fast then we'll take it slow.

Jelvis
03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
What? You thought MU 8-07 Similkameen .. sourmilk I mean .. lol ..
I love the Similkameen River it's past famous it's almost forgotten ....
Like Johnny Rotten .. lol .. Better to burn out then to fade away ........
.. Is MU 8-07 chopped liver? Hah ? Well I'm waiting?
It borders the south edge dood of 8-07 from a few k east of the little shanty town of Princeton( a nice place), right to Keremeos.
Game? ---> Rocky Mountain Billy Goats -- fair mule deers -- odd moose and whitetail < --- Big Game --->
.. That's not all, there's more way hey hay more .. even more than that .. how about? Pin-Point! SPOTS
See the white goats for yourself from Hwy 3 between Hedley and Keremeos you need eyes not genius
From Hedley-Apex road are you completely insane or is this topography nice terrain, check my brain
It goes past Nickel Plate Lake do you want your Nickel back? lol .. Hedley is Deadly .. I want my HBC
You want me to take you by the wrist and guide you along step by tiny baby step? Of course not so then use map .. MU boundary .. Management Unit .. north river .. south river .. east west road etc.
It's Region 8 it's all great hunting. Arguably the best region for the deer hunters to hunt .. some elk2lol.
Try out your hot four by on this road, it can get contankerous put yah over the bankerous ..
Guess where this leads us? Along the Ski - Hill slopes lol, you owe me just show me you want 2
Crosses the slopes of the Apex Alpine Ski Place.
Hence and thence the good early season mule deer experience, are you experienced?
Jimmy Hend licks .. Purple Haze .. Deer Graze so do elk .. moose browse in the fall .. swim in summer
Good mule deer buck hunting early up high in the high country. Wow! Holy crap look at tha ... BOOM!
When the spring is long and warm and dry the the the Balooooooose.
Blue grouse that you will think when first seen, it's a young ButterBall Turkay with feathers ..
Good brood means fill the freezer with daily bag limit. POW! Drumsticks Meaty a real treaty
If your still mixed up and confused on MU 8-07 it's the northwest end that's doing it, your confounded, ok.
Secret hint number 102 .. how to get to north west corner of MU 8-07? dah proper way duh
Answer: The northwest corner of MU 8-07 can be reached, touched, from --> if yah got half a brain
..............................Princeton-Summerland back road .. (Use your rec map)
What you don't know where it is? Then do it b4 leh is over Rover ......... take me out on a .... s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-r
.. I'm outta here good luck in all your planning, leh, and finding honest life long hunting partners ..
Jelly's left the building folks, thanks for coming out ladies and gentlemen, Jelvis has left the building

kodimack
03-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Go for the 06 you can buy amo anywhere 150s for deer 180s for moose .Best all around cal. in my opinion ,wish I had never sold mine. What ever you get shoot lots and you will have quick kills and no lost meat. Good luck

BlackwaterMerc
03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
just north-west of the gorman mill is killer.. after the fires theres lots of fresh shrubs in the spring. As well as the entire chute lake area. Hwy 33 is always busy with animals. and for Calibre?? 7mmRemMag period. Does it all with little bite and shells are 35 bucks a box for accubond. Great to start with. I gotta say that the tikka is kickin ass these days, smoother bolt and better craftsmanship IMO. Check them out before you knock the Finnish gem. Dont be to proud to go out and by the "Best".

bearhunter338-06
03-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Dont be to proud to go out and by the "Best".

Tikka the best......see just go's to show you that no matter what someone shoots its the best:mrgreen:.

troutseeker
03-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Dont be to proud to go out and by the "Best".

Tikka the best......see just go's to show you that no matter what someone shoots its the best:mrgreen:.

Hehehe...:biggrin: Indeed, what is it they say about opinions? 7mm Mag is a nice caliber, especially if you are going to take longish shots. But really, there's nothing that a good old .308 won't kill.

Hwy33 does have animals, so does Chute lake but it's usually a gong show... You can get much better hunting not much farther from Kelowna if you are willing to do a little hiking.

The Dude
03-17-2011, 11:27 AM
Jelly, I love you man, but sometimes less is more, you know?
You don't fill a bottle by dumping a pail of water on it.
Peace, The Dude.

ufishifish2
03-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Alright guys,

I am assuming that you have already purchased the .30-06 X-bolt. That is what I am understanding by reading your Signature. If so, great purchase. I truly believe the X-bolt to be under-rated, and you'll never be let down with the caliber.

Spy
03-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Hey Guys,

I am actually starting my CORE & PAL course today, I am getting super excited as I have always been enthused about hunting and fishing.

I live in Kelowna and was wondering if anyone could give me tips to area's that they know are a good starting spot. Walking in, Drive in, it don't matter.

Thanks!
Casey

Just make sure you stay away from the golf course>;);)