PDA

View Full Version : Mulie Backpack Bow Hunts

rattling_junkie
02-28-2011, 09:41 AM
Does anyone have experience bowhunting alpine mule deer?

markt308
02-28-2011, 10:30 AM
what kind of info are you looking for?

rattling_junkie
02-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Basically, I would like to know the average hike into huntable territory and how many days are needed to get the job done. I would like to hunt the whole 9 day bow season but is this realistic? Is a guy able to carry all supplies for the whole 9 days?

I am a neophyte to this but it has intrigued me since I have got into hunting.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2011, 12:16 PM
Basically, I would like to know the average hike into huntable territory and how many days are needed to get the job done. I would like to hunt the whole 9 day bow season but is this realistic? Is a guy able to carry all supplies for the whole 9 days?

I am a neophyte to this but it has intrigued me since I have got into hunting.

Some people can carry enough gear for a 7, 10, 14 and even 18 day sheep hunt.
Some people can't.:-|

Access depends on where you want to hunt. Some places you can pretty much drive right to the alpine. Some places might need a several hour hike....and possibly longer.

SSS

markt308
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
I like to set up a camp in an area that has lots of possibilities (from prevous trips or scouting) then do day hikes from there. Who knows as far as time! Give yourslef 5-6 days minimum. But ya, mulie hunting in the alpine is the best. go for it dude and good luck!

rattling_junkie
03-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all the input so far guys!

Gunner Staal
03-01-2011, 08:18 PM
You dont always have to go to the true alpine. Theres lots of areas in Region 3 and Region 8 where there is no alpine and the big bucks are still there. Ive had great success finding bucks during the early bow season without having the multi day trips. My strategy focuses more on the highest elevation in a given area as opposed to areas where trees dont grow. The bucks tend to be grouped up in the early bow season and where I have seen the little dumb fellas, the big guys were around, just a little harder and more time consuming to get a peak at them.

dana
03-01-2011, 08:53 PM
There is nothing like hunting muleys above treeline. If you are really serious about doing it, I would recommend that you spend some quality time flying around on Google Earth and pick out several areas that peak your interest. Then come July and Aug, do some exploring and some preseason scouting. Not all alpine holds a lot of deer. I've been in a lot of big alpine areas that holds next to nothing when it comes to deer. Other areas I've had the joy of watching a dozen or more bucks in a few hours of glassing. What preseason scouting does is helps you narrow down the "where" you want to be come opening day. If you just load up the pack and bust your hump to backpack into a piece of highcountry for a week without having done your homework, you are setting yourself up for some heartache and discouragement. The summer is a great time to get to know each basin and to glass it efficiently. And I can tell ya from experience, mid day scouting doesn't cut it. The best time to scout is the first 2 hours of light and the last 2 hours of light. On countless occasions I have watched big mature deer at first light climb fast and furious and are bedded high up in the rocks and the wind before the sun has risen. And they stay there all day hidden and out of sight. Very easy to look at a ton of highcountry at mid day and say it's void of deer when it couldn't be further from the truth. 4:30-5:00 am and 9:00-9:30 pm are the best times to catch bucks up and feeding. Doing your homework and finding which basins hold the deer and which ones don't will allow you to know exactly where you want to be come opening day.

David Heitsman
03-01-2011, 10:41 PM
SSS and Dana,

Nice to see some serious information given to the original poster. I'm sure he'll apreciate it.

rattling_junkie
03-02-2011, 07:38 AM
Definitely appreciate the info guys. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I am actually a Manitoba resident. I most likely will be going with my brother but he doesn't have that much time to scout. It would be a different story if I lived in the province. Even if I can hike some alpine and see the occasional deer I will be pumped!

urbanhermit
03-02-2011, 07:40 AM
glass glass glass!