PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Identification

Walksalot
07-10-2006, 03:47 PM
Just went to the end of region 8 regulations and came upon the part which tells about cougar gender identification. Who in their right mind would go up behind a live cougar and lift up it's tail to identify the gender. Three spots or two spots is a hell of a conclusion to come to when the cougar is turning around to open up a major can of whoop ass on this guy who is lifting up it's tail.:-P

Bow Walker
07-10-2006, 03:49 PM
Typical Bureacratic Narrow Mindedness!! I think the "powers that be" have the tunnel vision diameter of a small straw.

Elkhound
07-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Lol......if it makes you feel better they are asking if the animal is treed to try and look.

Barracuda
07-10-2006, 04:44 PM
The government is of the simple understanding that the accepted way of hunting couger is by hounds, the oppertunity to look under its tail while it is in a tree is very much a reality.

I dont think they expect you to catch it by the tail and inspect its prostrate:mrgreen: But if you are gonna do it that way be sure to get some pics:mrgreen:

Walksalot
07-10-2006, 06:45 PM
The government is of the simple understanding that the accepted way of hunting couger is by hounds, the oppertunity to look under its tail while it is in a tree is very much a reality.

I dont think they expect you to catch it by the tail and inspect its prostrate:mrgreen: But if you are gonna do it that way be sure to get some pics:mrgreen:

Don't pi$$ on the floor, be a hero, s&!t on the cieling.:-P

000buck
07-10-2006, 08:20 PM

My pa's got saying that may be of relevance here.....in relation to a difficult task that needs to be performed " It's like trying to shove melted butter up a wild cats arse with a hot poker"

best be careful.....:smile: like cuttin' bears in half to count the rings so you know how old they are before you shoot them:smile:

Fred
07-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Walksalot, check you PM inbox, it is overflowing! :biggrin: Fred

Walksalot
07-11-2006, 05:34 AM
Oops, thanks Fred, an major house cleaning job is in order.

GoatGuy
07-11-2006, 08:37 AM
It isn't that tough and any individual with enough brain cells to walk and talk should know if it's a good tom just by looking at the track.

It's a good thing - should have been put in years ago.

BCrams
07-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Goatguy -

Come on .... tell the truth about cougar ID. :)

Walksalot
07-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Being that close to it's bum it could be a willnot.:smile:

GoatGuy
07-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Goatguy -

Come on .... tell the truth about cougar ID. :)

Ohhhhhhhhh those cougars

Just like horses:

Stay away from the ones that look like they've been rode hard and put away wet.:mrgreen:

Also, stay away from the ones that look like they've been sitting at the feed trough for most of their lives.

BCrams
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Gotta love the advice from those with experience :mrgreen:

big game walker hounds
01-31-2007, 12:34 AM
i hear the rommer being that the wildlife branch is talking about makeing it toms only, because a bitch could have kitts stashed miles away. you know even when that cats up the tree some times i thank the fack my dogs have shock callers on to pull them away from the tree. we had a young tom over christmas that pritty much in the blink of an eye dropped about 20 ft down the tree and nock my buddie toock of his head.

hoochie
01-31-2007, 03:39 AM
roomer
making
fact
collars
pretty
knocked
buddies
toque

you've just broken Gatehouses' record!

hunter1947
01-31-2007, 05:16 AM
I think that the females should where skirts and the males where pants for identity ,LOL :roll: hunter 47.

Leaseman
01-31-2007, 07:47 AM
Hoochie.....not roomer, but rumor....:roll:

Fisher-Dude
01-31-2007, 08:49 AM
I have a video of one of my cougar hunting buddies who, on a hunt we were on a few years ago, climbed a tree beside the cat and tried to touch its tail. He couldn't quite get close enough to reach from tree to tree, but he did manage to tap it on the foot with a stick. Crazy man, but it sure was an entertaining day! :)

If you are an experienced cat hunter, you can generally tell a tom pretty quickly. For me, the colouration and the shape of the face (toms often have more pronounced cheek tufts) give them away. Also, the nards are usually visible. Carry a small set of binos to look closely at the sex organs. Word of advice when you have a tom treed - don't look up with your mouth open! :wink:

More info is available here:
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/hunting/pdf/cougar_article_web.pdf

hoochie
01-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Hoochie.....not roomer, but rumor....:roll:

OMG! it's contagious!

GoatGuy
02-01-2007, 05:51 AM
i hear the rommer being that the wildlife branch is talking about makeing it toms only, because a bitch could have kitts stashed miles away. you know even when that cats up the tree some times i thank the fack my dogs have shock callers on to pull them away from the tree. we had a young tom over christmas that pritty much in the blink of an eye dropped about 20 ft down the tree and nock my buddie toock of his head.

???????????????????:-(

GoatGuy
02-01-2007, 05:52 AM
Word of advice when you have a tom treed - don't look up with your mouth open! :wink:

Anything learned from your experiences is well worth putting in to the memory banks.

abbyfireguy
02-01-2007, 11:10 AM
You guys crack me up, must be cabin fever...:lol: :eek:

SHAKER
02-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Due to poor cat numbers in region 8 the last few years, the southern interior houndsmen assc. and the BCWF have tried to get a NO female harvest to try and get the cat #'s back up. To the unexperienced it may look foolish but this is the first year and it's working. We can get a race going even if it is just a female. We residents don't get the same amount of time in the bush as the GO's and need to be able to find something to chase. As far as sexing a cougar when it's in the tree???? well it's pretty easy, I agree with the face comment, I took a tom the other day and just by his face we could tell it was a cat worth takeing. To sex one on a chance incounter???? Best of luck to ya, you will probably not have enough time to examine it, it would be running at you or away so tuff call. The two spot-three spot thing is about as confuseing as the definition of a tine!