PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 HD spotting scope

shawnwells
02-27-2011, 02:34 AM
Hey just wondering if anybodys had any experience with the Leupold Gold Ring 12-40x60 HD spotting scope?...

dana
02-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I've got the earlier model that isn't HD. It is a top-notch spotter. I am very impressed with it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug22Scouting047.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v145/BCBOY/Aug22Scouting048.jpg

mntbowhunter
02-27-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a friend who has one and I have looked through it plus I have looked through it at Russel sports while comparing it to others. For the price I would look at something else. I have a zeiss and they are about the same amount of money. The leupold doesnt compare. Just my opinion, but take a bunch out and look through them and see whats best for you

Manglinmike
02-27-2011, 01:39 PM
I picked up the kit with all the dodads late last season,havent spent to much time behind it yet, but sofar it sure is crisp and clear.

KevinB
02-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Have spent some time looking through he same scope Dana mentioned, the pre-HD version. I thought it to be a pretty good compromise of image quality, and size/packability/durability. I like the 12X option, it gives you a bit wider field of view for general middle-distance spotting and is also nice when mirage gets bad.

Wild Images
02-28-2011, 09:14 AM
We bought two HDs for our stone hunt last fall, for the price couldn't be happier. Spotted this ram at 1200 yds and watched the stalk and kill.
Nice and bright with a large eyepiece to look through, would buy it again for sure

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o309/wildimages/StoneSheep2010078.jpg

shawnwells
03-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Ok boys thanks for the help.. I guess its a good idea to go down and compare.id say money wise its kinda middle of the road. I was thinking like swarovski but then on the other hand my brother and i are not professional hunters so its hard to say where to draw the line when it comes to spending vs. Quality....

shawnwells
03-05-2011, 12:12 AM
That ram at 1200 is good advertising.... Hmm decisions decisons...

srupp
03-05-2011, 10:09 AM
hmmm I had one and sent it back...the rubber eyepiece kept cracking and splitting..went through 3 in the short time I had the unit.

Also the way it was designed on the front end it does allow light to hit the lens and cause a "flare' this doesnt sound like something that would happen "lots" but it did and was super ANOYING...grrrr

Overall I thought it was not thought out well.. in design, wasnt crisp images, solar flares were anoying and the rubber eye cups were the final straw.

Having said that from my experience..they were less cost than a couple of the high end products..I went and tried several high end products out all at the same time under exact same conditions and went with Swarovski 65hd 20-60x eyepiece...and am completely happy with my decision, $$$$$ but I use it LOTS....

cheers
Steven Rupp

shawnwells
03-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Comin from you srupp im second guessin it... I know you know your shit...

Fosey
03-05-2011, 12:16 PM
I have a 12x40 Leupold and the big advantage over other scopes is the eyepiece is so big that you can glass for a long time without getting sore eyes. A Leica or Zeiss has better optics but when you are in ground where 10x binos are not good enough this Spotting scope works excellent.

steel_ram
03-05-2011, 01:33 PM
We lined up a bunch of High end scopes at a silhouette match, including Leupold HD, Leica, Swarovski, Kowa. The leupold was very comparable to much more expensive less compact units. Kowa's are very popular with US target shooters. Strangely, have yet to see a Zeiss among these people who can afford the best. Swaro's are pretty rare to.

Blockcaver
03-05-2011, 01:52 PM
Steve,

Was your Leupold a HD or the regular glass? I've had both and the HD is an upgrade at higher magnification in my side by side tests of two scopes for my eyes. The test was done reading signs at very long range in the evening light. At 12x I couldn't tell much difference, but the HD is very usable all the way to 40x, and the original wasn't as clear beyond 25x in my tests.

The original was going strong at 9 years old without any noticable deterioration of the eye cup before I sold it. The 4 year old HD is fine as well so no complaints on the quality of build. I use a hat to shade the objective if the sun angles are bad, and really prefer to glass with the sun at my back if possible.

Perceived optic "quality" is very dependent on the individual's eyes. Shawn should get as many scopes together as he can and evaluate them side by side. I really like the compact design, straight eye piece, weight and long eye relief the Leupold provides, especially for a medium price spotting scope and haven't felt handicapped by it in any fashion. An outfitter buddy loves his 80mm Swarofski and often glasses sheep and deer at several km which I typically don't do.

That said, I have Swarovski EL 10x42 binos and think they are fabulous so know what European glass is like. I use the binos MUCH more than the spotting scope and feel warranted in spending maximum money on them versus the scope.

srupp
03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
Blockcaver..

I was using the leupold HD...I could have kept changing rubber eyecups..and leupold was happy enough to send them..N/C..however something in that design wasnt working for me...:confused: the Leupold rep admited "a few had come back with same issue"..even went through the routine of"slapping the rubber eye cup with palm of hand " Leupolds directions....:tongue:

My bigger concern was the front objective lens...it had no relief and hence any sun hitting that big lens caused sun flare that cut the viwing down considerably..sharpnesss, clarity and depth were gone..and this happened at lots of angles other than straight into the direction of the sun...lots...

The Swaro has a sun shade extender that completely eliminates this...suprisingly my Leupold rifle scope has a screw on sun shade extender...works awesome..

Now about the quality..it really was worth the $$$$ considering the cost and the quality..it IS high quality and for a lot of folks will be amazing..

I did see the difference between it and ZEISS AND SWARO...and the colors of the ZEISS was slightly better however the crispness and sharpness between ZEISS and Swaro came out on Swaros' edge...thus my purchase..when Tim and I were spotting RAMS at Spenses Bridge at last springs sheep count..not once did Tims optics allow him to spot sheep first...I was even spotting rams laying in depressions on the back side of trees in the shade..THATS what GREAT optics allow you to do.

When sheep hunting with Bigbore i was spotting stone sheep waaaaay down the valley...tight in amongst the rocks...the exellent optics saved my hiking..sent my eyeballs down the valley..:tongue:

Sahwnwells my spotting cope is here for you to try..

I dont think you will go wrong with the leupold HD IF $$$ is the deciding factor..

I did have a very lightweight Leupold spotting scope that had a screw on sun shade I sold it to a good friend in Kamloops.. I consider it better $$$$ than the Leupold HD current version...

Again just adding MY experience.....every ones eyes are different...

cheers
Steven:mrgreen:

Blockcaver
03-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Steve,

Good information in your post! I'm surprised Leupold doesn't offer a 60mm sunshade as the end of the scope is threaded. The objective lens is recessed 0.56" on that scope. One could probably add a homemade 1.5" long slip-over shade that could serve as a 1" sunshade with a 1/2" overlap to hold it if you follow my logic. You've got me thinking! Anyway, you spend more time with the scope than me as I have done a lot of binocular glassing and even mount binos on the Manfrotto tripod.

I still have my 20 x 50mm non-armored Leupold with the sun shade bought new in 1987. It is a fine scope for the pound or so it weighs and optically is clear to the very edge. It is comparable to the Leupold zoom scope set on 20x except in low light where I find the 60mm is a bit brighter. Edge clarity goes to the fixed 20x.

I will never argue with German glass. It is optically superior to my eyes as well and the reason I own several pairs of Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica binoculars for my wife and I. If you have the funds and want the best, go German glass but ensure that the features like eye relief meet your requirements (I couldn't use a friends Zeiss with eye glasses on).

My Leupold scope is in Kamloops and could be available for comparison/viewing at the WSSBC annual meeting in two weeks if Shawn is coming down.

showtimebc
03-05-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm also intersted in ordering a new spotting scope and was interested in the Leupold HD model. Not sure if I've come any closer to a decision, but I appreciate everyones oppinion on here!

srupp
03-06-2011, 10:09 AM
Blockcaver I think you have the exact same Leupold spotter I sold to Doug,,I consider it exellent quality..

as for the new HD I also worry with that big front objective end you KNOW which end is gonna hit the ground should you accidently knock it over or wind..yup the big expensive lens..with no protection at all , the front edge IS the glass...

BUT was I making the decision ONLY on cost..yes Leupold...

steven

Blockcaver
03-06-2011, 11:12 AM
For users who wear eye glasses while looking through a scope:

Leupold Gold Ring 60mm eye-relief: 30mm

Swarovski STM 65mm eye-relief: 17mm

Zeiss 65mm T* FL eye-relief: 15mm

Leica APO Televid 65mm eye-relief: 19mm

Eye relief is probably the main reason I really get along with the Leupold for my eyes. As noted in a previous post, I could not use a buddy's Zeiss as I got about 50% of the field of view and my glasses were bumped hard against the eye cup.

Not a consideration if you don't wear glasses when glassing, but a large one if you do.

Steve, I think the flair issue with sun reflection may be easily solved with two heavy rubber bands retaining a flexible but somewhat stiff sheet of dark plastic over the objective barrel and beyond sized to create a tube or partial tube sunshade. I've seen rifle shooters do the same thing on their scope to shield heat waves and cut glare when in target competition and high volume varmint hunting. It could be a fairly durable material that stored in the Leupold Cordura case. Thanks for the insight you offered on the issue as I never really considered the problem or solution.........just lived with it and held my hat for shade which is a poor solution for long periods of glassing.

Like yourself, I think that old Leupold 20x50 is a heck of a scope. I used it exclusively on my last goat hunt due to the light size and weight. What do you think of it for stone sheep use versus the 12-40 x 60 we have discussed? (I'm leaning toward the zoom but it is about twice as heavy). I have the ultralight 3 piece Leupold tripod as well and use it on some pack hunts depending on the terrain and boulders available to glass from. Nice for some applications. I recently ordered a Slik lightweight tripod that works standing up (don't have it yet) that I will test run.

dana
03-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Like yourself, I think that old Leupold 20x50 is a heck of a scope. I used it exclusively on my last goat hunt due to the light size and weight. What do you think of it for stone sheep use versus the 12-40 x 60 we have discussed? (I'm leaning toward the zoom but it is about twice as heavy). I have the ultralight 3 piece Leupold tripod as well and use it on some pack hunts depending on the terrain and boulders available to glass from. Nice for some applications. I recently ordered a Slik lightweight tripod that works standing up (don't have it yet) that I will test run.

I have the old Leupold 25x50 compact and it is definately a great scope for backpack hunting but pails in comparision to the 12-40x60 in light gathering. Have used the 2 side by side and you have a good extra 30 mins of glassin' at the start of the day and another 30 mins at the end of the day with the 12-40x60. While I'm not a sheep hunter, it is my understanding a higher power is needed for counting rings. Just something that ain't going to happen with your 20x50. I'm sure if you are just going by full curl you can make that little compact work for ya, but it certainly ain't going to work for ya if you are looking for legal based on age.

srupp
03-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Hmmm I have used the old light Leupold successfully for years..

However I lean towards the higher magnification for several reasons..

First Im old, bad knees and really overweight..so I apperciate letting the scope cover the areas that are available from my spotting location...stone sheep really blend in.. more so than Cali bighorns in the Chilcotin..but I have saved considerable legwork by being able to literally pull apart the valley BEFORE the sheep see me..if Im seated spotting..the advantage for the sheep gets smaller..also I can eliminate many sheep ..by size of horns from longer distances..with the 20-60x if heat mirage waves arnt an issue I can crank it up for closer looks...

I find I can glass an area and be confident anything that is in site I can see..(doesnt mean the next moment a ram may feed into view or get up from a depression)

The quality of the glass allows me to glass for longer periods of time...hours and hours and hours...without eye fatigue or blurry vision or headaches..I consider myself a pretty good glasser.. and I know these optics do help me.

At Spenses Bridge I know with the 20-60x I can see rams 3 x the distance bedded down than the old leupold...so much more coverage..from the saftey of not moving and allowing the sheep to spot my movement..

If given the choice between a high powered rifle and a cheap scope vs a Swaro HD 65 20-60 X and a 303 rifle I would choose the optics..ya cant shoot what ya cant see or find....they are a bit heavier ..but worth every ounce....its hunting...not shooting..and especially for high country sheep goats deer...

I have 2 tripods one is a very light one for mountain work the other is very heavy robust for camp work ...or back country when using the atv ie spring bear....the swaro is here for anyone that wants to check out the crisp clean images...

cheers
Steven

Blockcaver
03-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Tonight I ran a test on my Leupold 12-40x60 HD as well as the old Leupold 20x50 spotter. There were about 30 head of California bighorn ewes and lambs on the mountain behind the house about a km away. The weather was perfect for glassing.......just above freezing with a very light breeze and partly cloudy skies. The test is very subjective. I looked at the time when I no longer could determine if a sheep was an ewe by looking at head gear. Note that at the times listed I could still see the outline of the animal and white butts distinctly but not their horns against the grass and rock background:

Sunset was at 5:49 PM per the GPS. All optics at all powers were passing the test including handheld Swaro 10 x 42 binoculars at this time.

A 6:05 PM the zoom at 40x was no longer usable..........but was good at lesser magnification. Note that 40X was great for judging "trophy ewes" before 6:00 PM.

At 6:12 PM the zoom at >30x wasn't usable

At 6:14 the 20x fixed scope ran out of definition but the straight 20x was not the cat's meow for judging trophy ewe horns at that distance even in good light.

At 6:19 PM the zoom at >20x wasn't usable and the 10x Swaro binos were done as well. If the binos had been on a tripod they would have worked to see horns...but were marginal at 10x at the distance glassed despite their great clarity and definition.

At 6:23 PM the zoom at 12x was done for the evening. I was amazed I could see feeding sheep up there and it was basically dark out.

In conclusion the 12-40x60 HD spotting scope is going stone sheep hunting. It did outperform the old fixed power 20x50 for judging horns by a wide margin. The binoculars are great and sure make finding critters easy compared to the spotters, at least at a km when they are feeding.

Blockcaver