hawken
02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Well it's time for a new pack
I was all geared up to buy an MR Kodiak but now I'm leaning toward the
Kuiu Icon 6000.

What are your thoughts?

troutseeker
02-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Tough to say, the MR has proven itself. Kuiu is pretty new... Looks good but I would personally wait until real life reviews come out and not just the sellers propaganda?

snareman1234
02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
I have heard the mr nice frame with 6500/7500 is a little better than kodiak

Devilbear
02-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Tough to say, the MR has proven itself. Kuiu is pretty new... Looks good but I would personally wait until real life reviews come out and not just the sellers propaganda?

I agree, the MR packs, while heavy and costly, are a result of roughly 40 years of pack design and manufacture by one of the two best pack designers to ever build quality gear; these are Dana Gleason and Dan McHale. You cannot buy a better production pack than the MR line and the customer service is peerless.

The Kuiu looks good, is light and very trim, but, it takes some hard longterm use to really know just how good it really is.

spear
02-26-2011, 10:02 PM
I think Kuiui is going to be good but MR is proven good. MR has more options as well, I would do with THe Kodiak or a 6500 on the NICE frame

huntcoop
02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Can MR gear only be purchased online?

TSW
02-26-2011, 10:50 PM
Can MR gear only be purchased online?

Nope, you can head down to Bozeman, Montana and hit their store.:)

huntcoop
02-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Nope, you can head down to Bozeman, Montana and hit their store.:)

:lol: unfortunately that's not an option.

MattB
02-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Dont order a MR kodiak...been there and its the most uncomfortable internal frame ive ever put on my back. Packed 120lbs for 6 hours this year and my back got a blister on it. The internal frame of the pack just has way too much flex! Id try the MR Nice frame 7500 and wait till some others try out the KUIU pack.

bigwhiteys
02-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Dont order a MR kodiak...been there and its the most uncomfortable internal frame ive ever put on my back. Packed 120lbs for 6 hours this year and my back got a blister on it.

A blister on the back doesn't sound fun!

I am not so sure about diving into the KUIU packs just yet either, I think they are very innovative but I wouldn't want to be pioneering a new pack, tent or boots in conditions that could be very miserable if the gear sucked.

Carl

Jim Prawn
02-27-2011, 06:29 PM
Just got my new MR Nice 6500 last Thursday. Was nervous about ordering on line but I have yet to hear a bad thing about them so I went for it. Ordered last Sunday, they shipped it Tuesday morning and it was here (Victoria) at noon on Thursday. $650 for the pack, $67 shipping, $87 HST. Absolutely stoked ever since I pulled it out of the box, been wearing it around the house most of the weekend. It appears to have everything you could ask for in hunting pack. Puts the price per pound thru the roof but I say go for it!
JP

BCbillies
02-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Somebody from HBC has to take the plunge and field test the Kuiu . . . it's for the brotherhood! :wink:

leadpillproductions
02-27-2011, 06:42 PM
Man every time i think i make my mind up on a pack i change it . I guess i will have to make up my mind lol. Just dont want to spend 700 bucks .

hawken
02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Somebody from HBC has to take the plunge and field test the Kuiu . . . it's for the brotherhood! :wink:

I might just be the guinea pig for you :mrgreen:

I like the idea of being 5 lbs lighter and the pockets look pretty useful.

If it's NFG I'll send it back and get an MR

kootenayelkslayer
02-27-2011, 07:53 PM

I'll be testing it out this summer!

hawken
02-27-2011, 08:03 PM

What did you run last year?

Duk Dog
02-27-2011, 08:09 PM

Just a brief side track but that ram in you avatar were you guiding for Ram Head in the NWT? Heckuva ram.

As for the pack question I am running a MR pack (and have been quite happy with it) and am not sure I'd want to be the guinea pig for a new product line.

BCbillies
02-27-2011, 08:10 PM
I might just be the guinea pig for you :mrgreen:
I like the idea of being 5 lbs lighter and the pockets look pretty useful.

I like the weightlessness of it . . . especially for us older guys. I will give it a try when you come out for your next goat! :wink:

That's the spirit we're looking for. IMHO there's no better field test than from a guide . . . unless they're a sponser. :-D Can you get a few extra on the pro deal?

hawken
02-27-2011, 08:27 PM
I will give it a try when you come out for your next goat! :wink:

Is that an invitation? lol
You know your welcome here any time.

358mag
02-27-2011, 08:30 PM
:lol: unfortunately that's not an option.
Worked for me well worth the trip down to Bozman MT they spend 1 1/2 hr fitting the Nice Frame + Crew Cab pack to make it work for me ,great people and Dana is one hell of a fine person just like the staff he has working for him .God bless American and free enterprise

BCbillies
02-27-2011, 08:40 PM
I will give it a try when you come out for your next goat! :wink:

Is that an invitation? lol
You know your welcome here any time.

Oh yes . . . speed goat it is . . . can't wait! :-D

We can do better next time for you . . . full mount material! :wink:

kootenayelkslayer
02-27-2011, 09:29 PM
That's the spirit we're looking for. IMHO there's no better field test than from a guide . . . unless they're a sponser. :-D Can you get a few extra on the pro deal?

Haha I'll try to give an unbiased review!

TSW
02-28-2011, 01:11 AM
I was stoked about a light pack before too--it looked good online...then I got to feel the material that it was made of in order to keep the weight down...I was instantly out. Not saying the KUIU is going to be that way, but putting it would be good to actually check one out in person!

BCbillies
02-28-2011, 01:33 AM
I was stoked about a light pack before too--it looked good online...then I got to feel the material that it was made of in order to keep the weight down...I was instantly out. Not saying the KUIU is going to be that way, but putting it would be good to actually check one out in person!

Ah yes . . . I remember you touched my lightweight Kifaru and it was all over! :wink:

We just need a few on here to test drive the KUIU and report back! Having the manufacturer perform the field test and give the full report on his site isn't gonna cut it for some of the cowboys on this site. :-D

kootenayelkslayer
02-28-2011, 08:16 AM

My buddy that I work with was able to check out the pack at the Reno sheep show. He said it felt legit in terms of materials. So I guess we'll find out soon. I sure like the idea of that carbon fibre frame.

kuiu
02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Well, if any of you guys need to sell your MR pack to buy a kuiu one. shoot me a pm.

houndogger
02-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Well, if any of you guys need to sell your MR pack to buy a kuiu one. shoot me a pm.
Why are the MR packs better?

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Why are the MR packs better?

And why would he register as "Kuiu" if half his posts are looking for a MR pack ??
Seems kind of ignorant to me.
Its either a weak way to belittle a company or a cheap way to try and advertise which is pretty sad IMO.

ThinAir
02-28-2011, 06:54 PM
Dont order a MR kodiak...been there and its the most uncomfortable internal frame ive ever put on my back. Packed 120lbs for 6 hours this year and my back got a blister on it. The internal frame of the pack just has way too much flex! Id try the MR Nice frame 7500 and wait till some others try out the KUIU pack.

I own a MR Kodiak...and I actually find it very comfortable:???: I've owned or tried a few internal packs, and what I liked about the MR is that it handles the 100lbs plus weight better than most.
If it's not working for ya, maybe you should tell the boys at MR- I wouldn't doubt if they let you trade for Nice frame. Their service is second to none.

That carbon fibre frame does sound interesting on the KUIU though.....might be a good way of stiffening things up without the weight.

Ceilidh69
03-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I have been looking at the MR NICE 6500 and Kuiu Icon and am going to take the plunge and try the Kuiu. Like the technology and weight. In a perfect world where $ were not a consideration it would be cool to buy both and test them side by side. Will report back when it is in my hands and has been tested. Supposedly they will ship in late March.