PDA

View Full Version : A continuation of "packing protection"

Big Lew
02-26-2011, 08:56 PM
During my active 40 years of hiking through the coastal mountains, interior, and cariboo, unless I was hunting with a gun, or using a horse, I never packed a gun. I've only once brought along a rifle when bow hunting, but I have, at my wife's encouragement, carried bear spray on some trips during the last 15 years or so. Before heading out with the spray, I did some testing to see how it worked, and it's effective range. The large pressurized canisters let out quite a high volume and fairly concentrated stream approximately 15-20 feet. It takes several seconds to get a can from it's carrying position, remove the protective clip, and then fire.
I personally don't think it can be done in time if a bear charges from nearby cover. Researchers have stated that the most dangerous bears are normally very hungry and adolescent, which normally stalk, or trot toward their prey if they're not sure of themselves. Under these circumstances there should be time to bring the spray into play. Otherwise, any charging bear, even coming from a distance would be on you before he even knew of the spray. Some people have escaped serious injury by being able to hit the bear directly in the face though. In conclusion, if I were to rely on protection, it would be with a hard-hitting gun.

BromBones
02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Yup.

A can of pressurized allspice has got nothing on a guy who can stay calm and put a bullet where it needs to go.

Bow Walker
02-26-2011, 09:24 PM
Staying calm in pressure situations is the key alright. It takes a cool dude to be able to do that the first time it happens, though.