PDA

View Full Version : Spear hunting questions

open-sights
02-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Has anyone had any dealings with this Canadian company http://www.knifezone.ca/coldsteel/Samburu_Spear.htm and/or seen a Samburu spear?

I know we have talked in the past regarding a bear hunt with a spear but I have just made a deal to bring in a Rossi Ranchhand in .44 mag and a leg holster, I am thinking this would be perfect for protection for a b/bear spear hunt but dont want to play with inferior products if there is a different suggestion worth looking into. Thanks in advance.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/trader_2b/Ranch_Hand_2.jpg

boxhitch
02-26-2011, 07:29 PM
dont want to play with inferior products
Referring to the spear or the sidearm ?

open-sights
02-26-2011, 07:57 PM
I need info on the spear and the company i listed a link to Box. thanks

Moose Guide
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Has anyone had any dealings with this Canadian company http://www.knifezone.ca/coldsteel/Samburu_Spear.htm and/or seen a Samburu spear?

I know we have talked in the past regarding a bear hunt with a spear but I have just made a deal to bring in a Rossi Ranchhand in .44 mag and a leg holster, I am thinking this would be perfect for protection for a b/bear spear hunt but dont want to play with inferior products if there is a different suggestion worth looking into. Thanks in advance.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/trader_2b/Ranch_Hand_2.jpg
Is it legal to hunt big game with a spear?

mungojeerie
02-26-2011, 10:23 PM
Is it legal to hunt big game with a spear?

This is a good question, The regs dont say anything about spears being legal or illegal. Has anyone looked into this?

bigneily
02-26-2011, 10:28 PM
Ohhh man i couldn't have enough beer on hand to be able too sit and watch some dude stalk a bear with a spear:mrgreen: that would be rad...lol...

BiG Boar
02-26-2011, 10:29 PM
I plan on taking two animals with a spear this year. Well see how it goes. Bears and pigs are awful tough, but so am I. This ain't no hunt for school boy bitches.

bigneily
02-26-2011, 10:46 PM
So what two you gonna go after? Better be something toothy :mrgreen: just shittin yah good luck..

Will
02-26-2011, 10:48 PM
You need to contact the resident Spear Hunting Afficianado Mr Gatehouse ? :-D

Fisher-Dude
02-26-2011, 10:54 PM
You need to contact the resident Spear Hunting Afficianado Mr Gatehouse ? :-D

He is the foremost authority on the subject.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Gate_Clarke_Spear.jpg

Barracuda
02-26-2011, 11:18 PM
look at page 16 of the regs it outlines the legal hunting methods ? but it doesnt say you cant use them (doesnt say you can use kyptonite either ).

A spear or pike would work if you can get close enough its something i wanna try for boar, bear is something i wish handguns were legal for.

might be an idea to call the CO on it.

Bear Chaser
02-27-2011, 12:17 AM
This ain't no hunt for school boy bitches.

That's an understatement.
As is evidenced by the number of guys fretting over whether it's legal vs. the one who nuts up and just says he's going to do it. Good luck Bigbore. No difference in my mind if it's a spear or a bow other than the cahoney quotient.:twisted:

Will
02-27-2011, 12:39 AM
He is the foremost authority on the subject.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/Gate_Clarke_Spear.jpg

:lol::lol: I knew that pic would surface eventually :mrgreen:

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 12:47 AM
Okay, the Samburu spear is not a good hunting spear unless you have 6 buddies with multiple spears to back you up. Or you have perfect aim and can penetrate the vitals with a 20 yard throw, without Mr Bear noticing you. Spear hunitng is most efective when done wit many hunters, OR a treestand.

The Samburu is a throwing spear and frankly it is shit hot at that. I wouldn't want to be within 50 yards of a spear chucking African man with a Samburu and good skills, I will tell you that! Even I can kill something unawares with a Samburu throw at short range....

It's problem is that it is weak and when Africans used it for hunting or war, they delivered the spears en masse....

The Africans have killed serious thick skinned animals like elephant and rhino and hipppo with lots of spears, but they did it with lots of help and you are but one.

Most of the spear hunting that goes on with one guy is baited stands,and the guy is in a stand above and throws a very heavy spear straight down at the deer or bear.

In BC there is no bear baiting, so I think a better spear is a heavy blade with heavy shaft and you sneak up on the bear (like I have done) to sticking range and then you stab them and hold on, cause you don't want the bear in your lap...

Bigbore says he wants to use hounds to tree a bear and use a spear, and my advice was to use a sectional spear that can be threaded together, since the bear may be 20 feet up the tree and you don't want to pack a 20 ft spear in the bush unless you want top stop a calvary charge.!

And yes, it's legal....

Barracuda
02-27-2011, 01:06 AM
a pike would work for that , you can get pretty up close and personal to them in a tree with hounds.

hogs with a knife and dogs is something that is gonna be fun:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
02-27-2011, 01:20 AM
Now my chahones have sunk deep up into my gut. This is the kind of sh*t that separates the men from the school boy bitches. Its go time real soon.

Wow, I have a new found furthur respect for Gatehouse. That story, I gots to hear in person. Do your balls chafe your legs when you jog?

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 01:28 AM
Now my chahones have sunk deep up into my gut. This is the kind of sh*t that separates the men from the school boy bitches. Its go time real soon.

Wow, I have a new found furthur respect for Gatehouse. That story, I gots to hear in person. Do your balls chafe your legs when you jog?

lets not get carried away here....I've snuck up on lots of bears with only a knife or a spear but I was just doing penetration tests. :wink:

Barracuda
02-27-2011, 01:38 AM

LOL!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

srupp
02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
lol...just about spit ALL my coffee out reading this post..:tongue:

doesnt surprise me about Gate..and would actually like to hear that story..

As far as Bigboar..aka Dave...I do believe he will try this and he is one of the few guys that have the lack of fear to pull this off...he has the abilities..

bears can be gotten really close to....wear a hat cam or glasses cam Dave...:mrgreen:...

cheers
Steven

Barracuda
02-27-2011, 10:17 AM
That's an understatement.
As is evidenced by the number of guys fretting over whether it's legal vs. the one who nuts up and just says he's going to do it. Good luck Bigbore. No difference in my mind if it's a spear or a bow other than the cahoney quotient.:twisted:

The problem with that is that is if it is not allowed then you could get in big trouble especially if if its youtubed.

And then you get the guys that say its unethical etc and i figure as long as its effective and leagal its all good .

(Remember the thread where people bitched about pigdogging with knives)

If you use hounds you will be a target and scrutinized.

A sectional Pike on a treed bear would work well i think.

The Bravodo adds depth to the tale and is really entertaining,
keep it up it should make for a good story.

LukaTisus
02-27-2011, 11:14 AM
Just the thread I was hoping to pop up on here! I've been watching vids on Youtube by the user worldhuntinggroup for their show "Relentless Pursuit", and hot damn, do I wanna learn to spear-hunt! A couple good vids of them taking buffalo, an elk and I think a boar hog or two with a spear from Cold Steel. :P Pretty fun to watch!

Tim Wells is one hell of an archer, too!

Will
02-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I've snuck up on lots of bears with only a knife or a spear but I was just doing penetration tests. :wink:

There's a joke in there somewhere...:redface:

Bear Chaser
02-27-2011, 11:43 AM
If you use hounds you will be a target and scrutinized.

A sectional Pike on a treed bear would work well i think.

The Bravodo adds depth to the tale and is really entertaining,
keep it up it should make for a good story.

Depending on the terrain and type of trees in the area the hounds wouldn't necessarily guarantee success. Just off the top of my head I can only recall 2 maybe 3 bears that treed low enough to effectively jab with a spear. As far as a sectional pike goes it might work but if the bear is comfortable in the tree chances are he'll just swat the spear especially if it's too long to maneuver quickly.:(
Treeing a bear and then pulling the hounds back for a jumpout while the guy with the spear waits at the base might provide an opportunity but I
can see that getting really western in a big hurry.

Best chance of success and a small measure of safety would be to set up a low treestand along a good bear trail leaving a salmon stream. Predator calls and patience would follow.

Singleshotneeded
02-27-2011, 12:08 PM
:-D Just make sure you have a piss before you charge the bear with your stone age weapon...a soggy crotch would be embarassing on a guy!
I hope you're going with a few friends that have spears and one that has a .338 Win Mag? Bears have a tendency to get irritated when you poke them with a sharp stick! My stetson is off to you and Gatehouse, you guys just make sure you protect your family jewels, if thieves are stealing copper I'm sure they'd love to get their paws on a bunch of solid brass balls!

Barracuda
02-27-2011, 12:15 PM
had several less then 20 ft up a tree which is reachable with a pike had em walking bayed on the ground but far more dangerous.

As far as being unweildy i would guess thats where practice and strength come in as the soldier of old were reputed to be pretty effective with them.

next time you get one up try pokeing it with a stick, banging the tree or chucking something at it to make it move.
If they dont bail they very often get bitchy but stay there if they are treed for good .

I have called in bear really close but they literally appear and dissapear so i dont think you would have time to stick them. (treestand might be better then a blind)
There are also bears that dont care about humans and you could probably crawl really close if they are preoccupied.

While we are putting Daves neck on the line (safety what safety:lol:) i say put him in a kilt and give him a claymore and bayed up bear in open rangeland :tongue:

look forward to the youtube video:mrgreen:

Bear Chaser
02-27-2011, 06:52 PM
While we are putting Daves neck on the line (safety what safety:lol:) i say put him in a kilt and give him a claymore and bayed up bear in open rangeland :tongue:

LMAO. Full warpaint will be required on this one Braveheart!!!:mrgreen:

BCHunterTV
02-27-2011, 06:53 PM
I plan on taking two animals with a spear this year. Well see how it goes. Bears and pigs are awful tough, but so am I. This ain't no hunt for school boy bitches.

I cant wait for this bear hunt!

todbartell
02-27-2011, 06:57 PM
is it legal to throw a spear at a bear from the inside of a vehicle?

BCHunterTV
02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
i'd say no

luckynuts
02-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Shit disturber:tongue:

On a side note it's easy to get with 30' of a blackie gorging it's self on thick lush grass. Both my boys and me snuck up on plenty last spring however sticking one with a spear at 7 or 8' is totally AWESOME! How big a bear Gates?

W.

todbartell
02-27-2011, 07:09 PM
gotta watch out for them grazing black bears, they'll attack you if you drive by on an atv :mrgreen: don't drive too crazy on the four wheelers though, safety first!

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Actually, that is a good question. It might be legal...
:confused:

nedarb2
02-27-2011, 07:54 PM
how the hell would you throw a spear from inside a vehicle?

digger dogger
02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
The sun roof! lol If it's legal I'm drivin.

.45-70 guide
02-27-2011, 09:53 PM
The sun roof! lol If it's legal I'm drivin.

Think of the speed you could get on that thing, 50 Kph of the vehicle speed plus how ever fast you could throw the spear, I think you may be on to something! :mrgreen:

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Stand in the back of a pickup?:-D

Blktail
02-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Hunting with a spear is illegal. If it is not listed as a legal method it is not legal.

Sorry.

So, make sure there are no witnesses, wear a disguise and set up a camera.
:-D

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Hunting with a spear is illegal. If it is not listed as a legal method it is not legal.

You are completely incorrect on both counts.:wink:

Blktail
02-27-2011, 10:03 PM
You are completely incorrect on both counts.:wink:

Please explain your rationale

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Please explain your rationale

There is no law against hunting with a spear in BC, therefore it is legal.

There is no list of legal hunting methods that a hunter must use in the Wildlife Act.

wos
02-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Future Darwin awards contenders in the making:mrgreen:

Blktail
02-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Not to be disagreeable but...
Page 16 in the regs lists legal hunting methods. I read that to mean anything not listed is illegal. That is also what I was taught in CORE.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Case law?

Remember the synopsis is not the act.

Just curious.

redneckdale
02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Alright now I'm all stoked and want to take something with a spear and yes I've been charged by a bear before:evil:

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Remember the synopsis is not the act.

Yup, you said it.:wink:

Not to be disagreeable but...
Page 16 in the regs lists legal hunting methods. I read that to mean anything not listed is illegal. That is also what I was taught in CORE.

Page 1 of the regs "this synopsis is not the law":mrgreen:

The list defines what firearms and bows and projectiles you may or may not use for certain species. It does not say that you may not use spears, slingshots, rocks or your bare hands.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary? Case law?

The Wildlife Act is the best evidence. There is nothing in it that says "a spear cannot be used for hunting"

Therefore it is legal.:-D

redneckdale
02-27-2011, 10:26 PM
Gatehouse I agree with you it is not listed that spears CAN NOT be used as long as the kill shot or stab is clean and lethal why should it matter ?

Ambush
02-27-2011, 10:29 PM
A PG fellow did kill a bear with a spear, on the ground, several years ago. There must be a few people on here that know him. Maybe one of the witnesses?

Will
02-27-2011, 10:32 PM
WHile we're on the reg and synopsis I'll add they largely make zero sense regarding firearms methods etc anyways.........they read like they were written by somebody 30 years ago. Time to update the requirements etc.

I mean you can't legally shoot a Bison using a 7mm Rem Magnum with a 160 grain bullet but you can legally take your 22 Hornet for Coastal Grizz ?:-?

Just a thought.....

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 10:34 PM
WHile we're on the reg and synopsis I'll add they largely make zero sense regarding firearms methods etc anyways.........they read like they were written by somebody 30 years ago. Time to update the requirements etc.

I mean you can't legally shoot a Bison using a 7mm Rem Magnum with a 160 grain bullet but you can legally take your 22 Hornet for Coastal Grizz ?:-?

Just a thought.....

I've long thought that they were silly. :-D

Can use a 175gr hornady but not a 160gr TSX?:tongue:

triggr31
02-27-2011, 10:47 PM
you know there are predators out there that can hunt with spears but do we really want to encourage the average hunter to take a chance of possibly wounding animals... just to try a primitive way to hunt. Its just never enough lol wow

KB90
02-27-2011, 10:50 PM
want to encourage the average hunter to take a chance of possibly wounding animals... just to try a primitive way to hunt. Its just never enough lol wow

You take the chance of wounding an animal with any weapon.

If this is your logic we should stop bow hunting as well?

I've watched people miss/wound a deer at 30 yards with a rifle and scope. The weapon has nothing to do with it, skill and practice do.

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 10:56 PM
I really don't think we are going to see large numbers of BC hunters taking up spear hunting. I wouldn't worry about potential wounding or anything else, for that matter.:mrgreen:

GoatGuy
02-27-2011, 11:10 PM

Just a thought.....

Bears are too stupid to know the difference, that's why they're endangered in BC.

Bison are different- no claws or teeth and no rainforest named after them therefore much smarter and able to distinguish between a pea shooter and a cannon.

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
168gr TTSX illegal in 300 ultra mag for bison

175gr Sierra matchking in 300 savage = legal

Bear Chaser
02-27-2011, 11:27 PM

I'm going to guess that using a spear on bison would be legal unless stated otherwise.:mrgreen::mrgreen:
That would be interesting.

Gateholio
02-27-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm going to guess that using a spear on bison would be legal unless stated otherwise.:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Lotta bison died from spears!:-D

LukaTisus
02-28-2011, 12:22 AM
A good, well-placed spear through the lungs and heart, is apparently a quicker dispatch than a shot with an arrow. The spear-blade is wider, thus making a bigger slice and causing the blood-vessels to empty out quicker far as I can tell. :P

Singleshotneeded
02-28-2011, 12:26 AM
:-D Just make sure you bring the rest of the tribe with you in case it gets mad...

GoatGuy
02-28-2011, 06:41 AM

Was just reading a big article from the 1800s on bison. The average was 3 shots per kill. That's a lotta lead.

BiG Boar
02-28-2011, 07:38 AM
My question is what type of spears you would use for what? I am thinking long, screws together on site and a big sharp blade with some kind of stop so the bear cant come at you with the spear still inside it. I'm not thinking of throwing this spear.

Ya, this is going to be CRAZY. I am watching this video and can feel a turtles head pokin out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJwkGx2XZSU

BiG Boar
02-28-2011, 07:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Au8ru-RA4 a bison dying by spear

sawmill
02-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Yeah and a lot Indians died from bison.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-28-2011, 10:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Au8ru-RA4 a bison dying by spear

That guy's a real killer!!
His TV show (Relentless Pursuit) has a different angle but man the guy knows how to get it done.
On one episode he called in 4 yotes and killed 3 out of 4 with his bow...and just missed the 4th.

SSS

Coast mountain guy
02-28-2011, 11:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasha_Siemel

This is a site for those of you interested in Large nuts! Found his name in an old Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. There should be some more info on him somewhere.

emerson
02-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Post the video once the deed is done. The bear will have a fighting chance, no fair chase debates with this one.

open-sights
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Holly crap did that make me laugh!

open-sights
02-28-2011, 07:24 PM
I am looking for spear information, Gatehouse, i thank you for your information on pg 2 and 3.
I am not interested in debating legalities of spear hunting bears, mute points as it is legal and I will not be concerne with that aspect. However i really need some information regarding what products to buy.

Lets get this back on track, this is not a "How big are your balls" thread, golly - millions of people of every race and color have done far greater achievments than running a chunk of steel through a toothy grass eater.

open-sights
02-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Horseback and recurve, On my list as well!

Gateholio
02-28-2011, 07:40 PM
What kind of spear depends on how you are going to hunt. Basically, are you going to throw the spear or stick with it?

coyotebc
02-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Here is a good link to a supplier in Vancouver that many of us have dealt with
http://www.warriorsandwonders.com/Axes_Spears_Maces?zenid=a8a35ed4cadf2138b0a4016a86 96d0e6
I would think something like the boar spear would work if you were not throwing it

Gateholio
02-28-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd use a design like the boar spear, but the Cold Steel boar spear seems a little flimsy to me.

open-sights
02-28-2011, 08:02 PM
This is a throw only hunt unless i downgrade to a Koala bear, I will keep options open between treestanding and spot and stalk. I know of a decent spot for a treestand and would not rule it out, I am thinking from a decent stand, 2 spear throws would not be out of the question, 2 clean hits on the otherhand might be asking for too much.

Bear Chaser
02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Has anyone ever tried an Atlatl?
It's used for throwing a javelin. Supposed to greatly increase the speed and distance over throwing a spear by hand. Mighty be worth checking out. It's always been on my to do list but never got serious about it.

BCHunterTV
02-28-2011, 09:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvrJCT5M1w&feature=related

Will
02-28-2011, 10:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3cy5w9Ef7o&feature=related

I was expecting the spears to go right through ?.....better hope Mr Bear runs away after you poke him like these piggys did :wink:

laredo318
03-01-2011, 03:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvrJCT5M1w&feature=related

Interesting comment on this one on the Youtube page.
Not sure how correct it is....

This bear was legal and harvested by a good friend of mine. The bear expired very quickly and the video is quit a few years old . The Canadian government was contacted before he attempted to do this at the time and was legal to do so. They since have changes the laws and spear hunting a bear is no longer legal!

beadoo (http://www.youtube.com/user/beadoo) 11 months ago 6 http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

Gateholio
03-01-2011, 03:45 PM
This is a throw only hunt unless i downgrade to a Koala bear, I will keep options open between treestanding and spot and stalk. I know of a decent spot for a treestand and would not rule it out, I am thinking from a decent stand, 2 spear throws would not be out of the question, 2 clean hits on the otherhand might be asking for too much.

If you are going to throw, then the samburu seems ideal. Buy several and practice!!! :)

tuffteddyb
03-01-2011, 03:55 PM
this looks like a whole lotta fun!
recurve and a horse? how about a spear and a horse!
now that i know it is legal i GOTTA try for a bear!
predator call and in a treestand,would work?
this is cool!

kgriz
03-01-2011, 09:17 PM
I'm conflicted about this thread as I certainly wouldn't throw stones as I live in a glass house when it comes to hunting dangerous game. That being said I can't help but wonder how many people that think this is a great idea would be the one's to think that extreme sking or snowmobiling is stupid and a silly risk for a thrill. Granted those activities often cause undo cost to the taxpayer for search and rescue but its not a lot different when you put yourself in such harms way and risk public funded healthcare. I guess that there are just some guys out there that have killed so many trophy sized bears in more traditional ways ( and generally safer) that they need something to up the ante. Why not just blindfold yourself? I'm sure that your friends and family will appreciate that quest for thrill at your funeral.

urbanhermit
03-01-2011, 09:27 PM
this looks like a whole lotta fun!
recurve and a horse? how about a spear and a horse!
now that i know it is legal i GOTTA try for a bear!
predator call and in a treestand,would work?
this is cool!
you are on to something there! hhmmmmm

kgriz
03-01-2011, 09:30 PM
Oh and hey, if you're gonna be a bear be a grizzly bear.......
Go spear a big boar griz....probably should file your spear off round though....
it'll hurt less when he shoves it up your *ss!

digger dogger
03-01-2011, 09:52 PM

This bear was legal and harvested by a good friend of mine. The bear expired very quickly and the video is quit a few years old . The Canadian government was contacted before he attempted to do this at the time and was legal to do so. They since have changes the laws and spear hunting a bear is no longer legal!

beadoo (http://www.youtube.com/user/beadoo) 11 months ago 6 http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gif

I heard the same thing recently, looks like Dave isn't gonna get the adrenalin dump he so craves. (between you guys and me) I think he's an adrenalin junkie! :-)

mungojeerie
03-01-2011, 11:07 PM
This is just my opinion. I can understand guys wanting to add challenge and the huge set of balls it would take to walk up to a bear and stick it... but I cant say that my interpretation of the regs say it's legal but regardless of legality I don’t think it's right.

Yes an ill placed arrow or even shot from a high powered rifle can wound and maim animals causing them a lot of pain and suffering, and a well placed spear will probably down an animal pretty quick. BUT I see the general hunting public en mass being a lot more likely to successfully dispatch an animal quickly with either the appropriate firearm or bow if archery is the chosen method of harvest.

I happily hoot and holler and take pics with my smiling mug in them when I down a deer or moose or whatever but when I kill that animal, I do what’s in my power to stop its pain and kill it as quickly and humanly as possible with a firearm of suitable choice.

Then there’s the other side.... some anti reads these posts and stories, watches the outcome video on youtube or god forbid witnesses it in person and starts snapping photos and calling everyone they can from their cell phone and what do you have? Another a-hole hunter with a sharp stick causing an animal undue harm and duress. Not to mention the first one of you who finds them self in a situation where the bear turns and maims or kills you... none of these scenarios are anything we as ethical hunters need as press.

The videos on youtube that show 8 min of edited footage while a pack of dogs rip and tear at a pigs ears, face and legs as some buffoon struggles with its back legs so he can flip it over and stick it with a big knife disgust me. It's barbaric, inhumane and unnecessary.

Something I always say is that the wild meat I put on the table has led a far better life and met a far less stressful and painful life than anything you can buy at superstore... I can’t say those pigs died as quickly and as humanely as they could have.

BiG Boar
03-01-2011, 11:36 PM
mungojeerie
This is just my opinion. I can understand guys wanting to add challenge and the huge set of balls it would take to walk up to a bear and stick it... but I cant say that my interpretation of the regs say it's legal but regardless of legality I don’t think it's right.

Yes an ill placed arrow or even shot from a high powered rifle can wound and maim animals causing them a lot of pain and suffering, and a well placed spear will probably down an animal pretty quick. Probably quicker BUT I see the general hunting public en mass being a lot more likely to successfully dispatch an animal quickly with either the appropriate firearm or bow if archery is the chosen method of harvest.

I happily hoot and holler and take pics with my smiling mug in them when I down a deer or moose or whatever but when I kill that animal, I do what’s in my power to stop its pain and kill it as quickly and humanly as possible with a firearm of suitable choice. As would anyone with a spear, we are not trying to make the animal suffer.

Then there’s the other side....Which you seem to be on at this point. some anti reads these posts and stories, watches the outcome video on youtube or god forbid witnesses it in person and starts snapping photos and calling everyone they can from their cell phone and what do you have? Another a-hole hunter with a sharp stick causing an animal undue harm and duress. You would have this with any anti hunter watching any animal suffer, even the 50 yards your bullet shot animal runs and then kicks. Not to mention the first one of you who finds them self in a situation where the bear turns and maims or kills you... none of these scenarios are anything we as ethical hunters need as press. A spear used effectivley is more ethical than most arrows shot from 30 yards.

The videos on youtube that show 8 min of edited footage while a pack of dogs rip and tear at a pigs ears, face and legs as some buffoon struggles with its back legs so he can flip it over They are not trying to flip them over and stick it with a big knife disgust me. Your hunting methods disgust a lot of people too, are you going to give that up? It's barbaric, inhumane and unnecessary. All hunting is seen as barbaric by the general public, using a spear or knife to inflict a wound is more humane than using an arrow if you compare cutting surface and power, how is any hunting necessary with meat in every store? And believe me, nobody will be holding the live bear for 8 minutes trying to flip it over, that just seems downright crazy.

Something I always say is that the wild meat I put on the table has led a far better life and met a far less stressful and painful life than anything you can buy at superstore... I can’t say those pigs died as quickly and as humanely as they could have. Do you know why you leave a arrow shot animal for an HOUR after you shoot it? 8 minutes is hardly comparable. Not to mention you took one bad example. What about the duck that you shot out of the sky and you never found, how many stressful and painful hours and days a life did you leave him with, that duck dreams of superstore rather than dieing a slow painful death with his guts shot out.

RJ
03-01-2011, 11:43 PM
Mungojeerie, if a hunting method is legal you typically don't give a guy a hard time around here, even if you disagree with it.
Like Big Boar said, someone will also disagree with some things you do.

Gateholio
03-01-2011, 11:52 PM

]

Not only is it not correct, it's gibberish. Since when does the CANADIAN government set the laws on hunting bears in BC?:tongue:

mungojeerie
03-02-2011, 12:08 AM
The way I look at it is forums are a place for like minded individuals to go, share stories and experiences, help answer questions, find answers to your questions and discuss topics from all points of view both those that are in agreeance and those that are not, Im not giving anyone a hard time, just stating my opinion in a civil and well mannered way.

Yes there are plenty of people who will disagree with any form of hunting That wasnt my point. My point was watching or reading about someone stick a bear with a spear and hold on for dear life as was suggested somewhere earlier in this thread is going to give that person alot more to fume about than the use of a gun.

The pigs, I wasnt referring to just one example, I watched many of those videos in a little shock. Yes I see the blood pour out like a river when they get stuck and they do die fairly quickly... thats not what i find quite as barbaric as dog chase that happened before that scene and the ensuing battle as dogs ripped, tore and held onto the pigs face and extremeties while waiting for the "hunter" to catch up wait for the moment to strike and yes many many of them are trying to flip the pig over. Is this to say that all of these hunts are as bad as the next, no...

You can crap on me for my opinion and say im sitting with the other side all you want, it doesnt change the fact that I personally think that in large this style of hunting is more barbaric and less ethical than I think nesecary.

Have I ever inured an animal? Hell yes, I shot a goose early this year that dropped from the sky like a rock and just before it was going to hit the water it recovered and flew off, my following shots didnt hit it, I watched it fly all the way until it dissappeared in sight towards the river.... and I felt absolutly sick about the thought of that bird suffering though that injury or dying a slow death and no use being made out of its death other than maybe feeding a coyote.

And as far as legality goes, has anyone here called a CO for an answer or are we all arguing over our intrepretaion of the law? If no one has I would be pleased to take the time to try and find out.

BiG Boar
03-02-2011, 12:46 AM
I personally think that in large this style of hunting is more barbaric and less ethical than I think nesecary.

I guess I just don't give a rats behind....

landphil
03-02-2011, 12:48 AM

Carefull Gate, Don't forget about the minumum energy spec as well - thats an extra horsepower handload to get that .300 Savage to the minimium 2000 Ft-lbs at 100M. Hijack over.:wink:

Gateholio
03-02-2011, 08:30 AM
The way I look at it is forums are a place for like minded individuals to go, share stories and experiences, help answer questions, find answers to your questions and discuss topics from all points of view both those that are in agreeance and those that are not, Im not giving anyone a hard time, just stating my opinion in a civil and well mannered way.

Yes there are plenty of people who will disagree with any form of hunting That wasnt my point. My point was watching or reading about someone stick a bear with a spear and hold on for dear life as was suggested somewhere earlier in this thread is going to give that person alot more to fume about than the use of a gun.

The pigs, I wasnt referring to just one example, I watched many of those videos in a little shock. Yes I see the blood pour out like a river when they get stuck and they do die fairly quickly... thats not what i find quite as barbaric as dog chase that happened before that scene and the ensuing battle as dogs ripped, tore and held onto the pigs face and extremeties while waiting for the "hunter" to catch up wait for the moment to strike and yes many many of them are trying to flip the pig over. Is this to say that all of these hunts are as bad as the next, no...

You can crap on me for my opinion and say im sitting with the other side all you want, it doesnt change the fact that I personally think that in large this style of hunting is more barbaric and less ethical than I think nesecary.

Have I ever inured an animal? Hell yes, I shot a goose early this year that dropped from the sky like a rock and just before it was going to hit the water it recovered and flew off, my following shots didnt hit it, I watched it fly all the way until it dissappeared in sight towards the river.... and I felt absolutly sick about the thought of that bird suffering though that injury or dying a slow death and no use being made out of its death other than maybe feeding a coyote.

And as far as legality goes, has anyone here called a CO for an answer or are we all arguing over our intrepretaion of the law? If no one has I would be pleased to take the time to try and find out.

Some people think hunting with a gun is "unfair" and "doesn't give much chance to the animal" and is cruel too....

I dont' even know why anyone that has done no research on the topic is questioning legality. It's all there in black and white in the WILDLIFE ACT. Look it up.

gwillim
03-02-2011, 06:20 PM
Well, I just took a boo through the WILDLIFE ACT, and NO WHERE does it say anything about not being allowed to use medium range nuclear missiles to hunt game in BC.

I know what my "go to" weapon is going to be this bear season!

16ga
03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
The regulations list "Legal Hunting methods", the way it can be read is if it is not listed then it is not a "legal hunting method", I think you will find it hard to defend by saying "it wasn't specifically listed as not legal", good luck on that one.

urbanhermit
03-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Well, I just took a boo through the WILDLIFE ACT, and NO WHERE does it say anything about not being allowed to use medium range nuclear missiles to hunt game in BC.

not to split hairs but i am pretty sure you want your nuclear weapons to be "long" range......:-D

gwillim
03-02-2011, 10:52 PM
not to split hairs but i am pretty sure you want your nuclear weapons to be "long" range......:-D

I'm pretty sure ICBM's are restricted for personal use. There's a North Korean web site where you can get medium range "bear bombs" for a fraction of the usual price (kimssportsandarmaments.com).

urbanhermit
03-02-2011, 11:08 PM
hhmmm nuclear hand grenade, i wonder why they would want to sell those?

open-sights
03-03-2011, 12:28 AM
This is just my opinion. I can understand guys wanting to add challenge and the huge set of balls it would take to walk up to a bear and stick it... with a firearm of suitable choice.

Mungo, I am not going to debate all your points, hunting is hunting, we all do it for different reasons. This thread was started to get information regarding what types of weapons people have used, i assure you that no matter what weapon I choose to use for any hunt tommorow, next week or anytime in the future, i will be proficient enough to have 100% confidence in a quick clean harvest. As far as making appologies to antis or even the non hunting communitty, NOT going to happen. Ever! Period! I am proud to work in the hunting industry and will do everything I can always to show pride, never to hide!

mungojeerie
03-03-2011, 07:34 AM
As far as making appologies to antis or even the non hunting communitty, NOT going to happen. Ever! Period!

Who's apologizing? I'm not, and I don't expect you to.

brian
03-03-2011, 08:34 AM
"its unethical for (insert personal reason here) and it will only give anti's more ammo". I see this argument crop up constantly on this site. But an anti feels this way about any hunting method we use. Hunting by any standard is 'barbaric', bloody, and forces you to confront the ethics of death. Personally I don't think we should judge our actions by the morality of the antis. We should not let them frame the debate! Hunting by its very nature inflicts pain and death be it done with a knife, rifle, spear, or bow. If you start saying one method of inflicting pain and death is ethically superior to another, you create a division that does not exist. What I am trying to say is either it is moral to hunt or it is not. The tools you use to hunt do not dictate the morality of the act whether you use a knife, spear, rifle, blowgun, bow, or tooth and claw.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 12:32 PM
The regulations list "Legal Hunting methods", the way it can be read is if it is not listed then it is not a "legal hunting method", I think you will find it hard to defend by saying "it wasn't specifically listed as not legal", good luck on that one.

Read the WILDLIFE ACT and tell us what it says.:tongue:

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 12:42 PM

Ye,s but there is a law that prohibits possessing or using explosive ammunition. :-D

Unlike the people that proclaim spears illegal to hunt with, I can actually state a law that will be contravened. :wink:

ohno
03-03-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Gatehouse http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=867137#post867137)
I've snuck up on lots of bears with only a knife or a spear but I was just doing penetration tests. :wink:There's a joke in there somewhere...:redface:

That reminds me of the punch line from that old joke:
"You're not here for the hunting are you?"

16ga
03-03-2011, 01:45 PM
Read the WILDLIFE ACT and tell us what it says.:tongue:

You of course are right, but a word of caution. Those of us that have to work under different Acts and Regulations have found that just because they don't say you can do it doesn't necessarily mean you can. You might be able to, but if I was inclined to go spear hunting I would specifically ask a CO if it is legal, ignorance of the law is not a defence, and although you are probably right, to be safe, I would ask an officer not an internet forum. Just my two cents, take it for what it is worth.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 01:53 PM
For those that don't want to do any research themselves, I've copied the rather extensive lists of weapons offenses form the Wildlife Act. You would not be able to legally hunt bison with a spear in BC.

Offence — weapons

17 (1) A person commits an offence where he hunts
(a) with a rifle using
(i) a full metal jacketed non-expanding bullet, or
(ii) a tracer, incendiary, or explosive bullet,
(b) big game, other than lynx, bobcat or wolverine, with a rifle using a rimfire cartridge,
(c) with a shotgun using a tracer or incendiary shot shell,
(d) mountain sheep, mountain goat, elk, moose, caribou, bison or grizzly bear with a shotgun,
(e) deer, black bear, cougar, coyote, lynx, bobcat, wolverine or wolf with a shotgun
(i) less than 20 gauge, or
(ii) using a shot shell loaded with shot smaller than the shot size 1 Buck,
(f) game birds, other than turkey, grouse and ptarmigan, with a rifle,
(g) small game, game birds, lynx, bobcat, wolverine, mule (black-tailed) deer, white-tailed deer or fallow deer with a crossbow (except a compound crossbow) having a pull of less than 55 kg,
(h) big game, other than deer, lynx, bobcat or wolverine with a crossbow (except a compound crossbow)
(i) having a pull of less than 68 kg, or
(ii) having a bolt with a broadhead less than 2.22 cm at the widest point,
(i) with a compound crossbow having a pull of less than 45 kg at full draw,
(j) with a crossbow having a bolt weighing less than 16.2 g,
(k) with a bow having a pull of less than 18 kg within the archer's draw length,
(l) big game with a bow using an arrow with a broadhead less than 2.2 cm at the widest point,
(m) bear
(i) by placing bait, or
(ii) by using a dead animal or part of it as bait,
(n) migratory game birds by using a power boat, unless the boat is beached, resting at anchor or fastened within or tied immediately alongside of a fixed hunting blind,
(o) migratory game birds using
(i) a rifle or shotgun loaded with a single projectile,
(ii) any weapon other than a bow and arrow or a shotgun not larger than number 10 gauge, or
(iii) more than one shotgun unless each shotgun in excess of one is disassembled or unloaded and encased,
(p) waterfowl, coot or snipe while using shot other than non-toxic shot,
(q) turkey with a rifle using a centrefire cartridge,
(r) bison with a weapon other than
(i) a centrefire rifle and ammunition other than ammunition constructed with a 175 grain or larger bullet which retains 2 712 joules (2 000 foot pounds) or more energy at 100 metres, or
(ii) a bow having a pull greater than 22.6 kg within the archer's draw length, an arrow greater than 26 grams in weight and a broadhead greater than 8.1 grams in weight and 2.2 cm in width at its widest point, or
(s) with a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand or that has a barrel less than 305 mm in length.
(2) A person who possesses shot, other than non-toxic shot, for the purpose of hunting waterfowl, coot or snipe, commits an offence.
[am. B.C. Regs. 205/85, s. 3; 184/90, s. 7; 225/92, s. 3; 212/93, s. 3; 203/94, s. 3; 288/95, s. 3; 180/96, s. 4; 226/98, s. 5; 195/99, ss. 8-9; 216/2000, s. 11; 82/2001, s. 3; 168/2001, s. 6.]

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 01:58 PM

Unlike many people who will just say "it's not legal" without doing any research, I went and looked it up.:-D

I was thinking about the wording of the firearms laws and how it's illegal to have a loaded firearm or cocked crossbow in or on a vehicle, which the spear doesn't contravene, so I think you could throw a spear from a vehicle legally, but not at wildlife. As the hunting regulations state "it is illegal to shoot wildlife from a vehicle" and throwing a spear woudl probably be considered "shooting":mrgreen:

BiG Boar
03-03-2011, 02:11 PM
Thank you GH for the effort put in for us. Now we can clearly see the regulations and it does in fact look to be legal.

Oh ya baby...sharpen the tip....because its spear hunting time.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 02:25 PM
Next up someone is going to tell us that baiting deer is illegal...:-D

16ga
03-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Unlike many people who will just say "it's not legal" without doing any research, I went and looked it up.:-D

I was thinking about the wording of the firearms laws and how it's illegal to have a loaded firearm or cocked crossbow in or on a vehicle, which the spear doesn't contravene, so I think you could throw a spear from a vehicle legally, but not at wildlife. As the hunting regulations state "it is illegal to shoot wildlife from a vehicle" and throwing a spear woudl probably be considered "shooting":mrgreen:

So.....as long as you don't "throw" the spear it should be legal. So I could fix a spear(s) to the front of my truck and impale a deer. I wonder if it says anywhere it is illegal to use a truck, but I am too lazy to look it up.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 02:42 PM
So.....as long as you don't "throw" the spear it should be legal. So I could fix a spear(s) to the front of my truck and impale a deer. I wonder if it says anywhere it is illegal to use a truck, but I am too lazy to look it up.

There are specific laws regarding using a motor vehicle to harass or kill wildlife intentionally and regarding the transport of road killed wildlife. I'd suggest you do some research and look these laws up before attempting to spear a deer with your bumper spear.

16ga
03-03-2011, 02:47 PM
There are specific laws regarding using a motor vehicle to harass or kill wildlife intentionally and regarding the transport of road killed wildlife. I'd suggest you do some research and look these laws up before attempting to spear a deer with your bumper spear.

Dam, I was hoping you would look it up. I have been pretty effective in taking out deer with just a bumper but it is a rather expensive technique.

gwillim
03-03-2011, 02:51 PM
So if I fix the spear to the front of my (non-motorized) bicycle, and then ram a bear, everything is OK?!

If I end up in jail, I'm calling Gatehouse to front the bail...

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
Here you go:

Use of conveyance
27 (1) A person who discharges a firearm or wounds or kills wildlife from a motor vehicle or from a boat that is propelled by a motor commits an offence.

(2) A person commits an offence if the person
(a) hunts wildlife from an aircraft, or
(b) uses a helicopter for the purposes of transporting hunters or game, or while on a hunting expedition,
except as authorized by regulation.
(3) A person who herds or harasses wildlife with the use of a motor vehicle, aircraft, boat or other mechanical device commits an offence.
(4) A person who hunts game within 6 hours after being airborne in an aircraft, other than a regularly scheduled commercial aircraft, commits an offence.

gwillim
03-03-2011, 02:53 PM
Dam, I was hoping you would look it up. I have been pretty effective in taking out deer with just a bumper but it is a rather expensive technique.

Actually 16ga, if you were coasting down a hill without the motor running, I think you could argue non-motorized (plus the bear would never hear you coming!).

Barracuda
03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
has anyone bothered to contact a co?

16ga
03-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Why would we do that? This is way more enlightening. Besides Gwillim says I can do it, I have printed it up and will keep it in my wallet.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 03:01 PM
So if I fix the spear to the front of my (non-motorized) bicycle, and then ram a bear, everything is OK?!

If I end up in jail, I'm calling Gatehouse to front the bail...

Actually 16ga, if you were coasting down a hill without the motor running, I think you could argue non-motorized (plus the bear would never hear you coming!).

Do some research and you will likely find the answers to your questions.

Yes, but only about using a spear while on foot.

Barracuda
03-03-2011, 03:04 PM
now that is the golden rule right there.

If the CO in the area you are hunting says you are good to go then your good to go.

gwillim
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
I would be amazed if a CO could tell you anything useful. Govt. employees are a little prickly over the possibility of being responsible for "professionally induced error". The normal practice is that they can only tell you something is illegal after you've done it (as they slap the "cuffs" on).

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 03:08 PM
now that is the golden rule right there.

If the CO in the area you are hunting says you are good to go then your good to go.

Actually I think the CO that we spoke to was from their main office. I don't recall exactly, as it was several years ago. Probably 2005. There has been no changes to the Wildlife Act regarding the use of spears since then.:wink:

gwillim
03-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Why would we do that? This is way more enlightening. Besides Gwillim says I can do it, I have printed it up and will keep it in my wallet.

I'll send you a cake with a file inside!

16ga
03-03-2011, 03:24 PM
Actually I think the CO that we spoke to was from their main office. I don't recall exactly, as it was several years ago. Probably 2005. There has been no changes to the Wildlife Act regarding the use of spears since then.:wink:

I am curious, is it considered an "arrow" in terms of width of broadhead. Is there some kind of weight restriction (requirement). A bow can be judged by lbs pull for the archers draw/arrow length. Throwing a spear from a tree stand then I can see weight being an easy factor, but throwing one, if the impact was when the spear was gaining altitude (i.e. arm strength) compared to on the downward trajectory (gravity/mass), it would be tough to figure out.

Better get back to work.

gwillin, I like chocolate cake.

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
I am curious, is it considered an "arrow" in terms of width of broadhead. Is there some kind of weight restriction (requirement). A bow can be judged by lbs pull for the archers draw/arrow length. Throwing a spear from a tree stand then I can see weight being an easy factor, but throwing one, if the impact was when the spear was gaining altitude (i.e. arm strength) compared to on the downward trajectory (gravity/mass), it would be tough to figure out.

Better get back to work.

gwillin, I like chocolate cake.

ar·row (r)
n.
1. A missile having a straight thin shaft with a pointed head at one end and often flight-stabilizing vanes at the other, meant to be shot from a bow

Monashee
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Ballisticts of spears , arrows and more here -

http://www.thudscave.com/npaa/articles/howhard.htm

16ga
03-03-2011, 04:58 PM

thanks, interesting read.

tuffteddyb
03-03-2011, 05:13 PM
thats a interesting read.
i need a heavier spear.lol

Weatherby Fan
03-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Thank you GH for the effort put in for us. Now we can clearly see the regulations and it does in fact look to be legal.

Oh ya baby...sharpen the tip....because its spear hunting time.

Yee Haw :mrgreen:

Big Boar I'll come along and film it and Ill also bring the first aid kit :wink:
I know a few spots for Grizz that like to charge hunters it would save on throwing the spear !

WF

open-sights
03-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Neat page, Thank you Monashee.

Gatehouse, allthough I am not concerned at all with legalities of this or contacting a co, I wanted to say thanks for all your info. You should be paid by the hour for your efforts. Do you take Canadian Tire or Monopoly money?
Now I am going to post a thread relating to trapping deer and moose with large nets sprung with trip wires, and finished with seal clubs - watch the hall monitors of the world go into cardiac arrest over that!!!

Monashee
03-03-2011, 06:30 PM
In one of Charlie Russell's books he mentions a story where 6 Pikunni Blackfoot young men would each have a spear then find a grizzly bear . Three would be in front of it , and three behind . They would provoke the bear into charging then the group at the rear would jab it in the ass , the bear would spin around - this went on for however long then the men would finish it off with their spears . Apparently there were many grizzlies in the foothills of Southern Alberta and all over the prairies when the buffalo were in the millions .

16ga
03-03-2011, 07:05 PM
The one I know is the spear hunting Tiger method. It takes four people. Walking in single file the first fellow is the most accurate, the second one is the second most accurate, the third is the strongest, the fourth is the newest. When they sight a tiger they walk towards it until the first spear thrower decides he can hit it. After he throws his spear he turns and runs back past the other three. If the tiger is still coming the second fellow throws his spear, he then turns and runs back the way he came. If the tiger is still coming, it will probably be pretty close, the strongest guy throws his spear then just turns and runs. If the tiger is still charging the fourth fellow (here after called expendable) plants the butt of his spear in the ground, points the spear towards the charging tiger, and with any luck the tiger will impale itself on the spear. Expendable holds on as long as he can or until the tiger is dead. If he isn't lucky well at least 75% of the hunting party survives.

gwillim
03-03-2011, 08:46 PM
The one I know is the spear hunting Tiger method. It takes four people. Walking in single file the first fellow is the most accurate, the second one is the second most accurate, the third is the strongest, the fourth is the newest. When they sight a tiger they walk towards it until the first spear thrower decides he can hit it. After he throws his spear he turns and runs back past the other three. If the tiger is still coming the second fellow throws his spear, he then turns and runs back the way he came. If the tiger is still coming, it will probably be pretty close, the strongest guy throws his spear then just turns and runs. If the tiger is still charging the fourth fellow (here after called expendable) plants the butt of his spear in the ground, points the spear towards the charging tiger, and with any luck the tiger will impale itself on the spear. Expendable holds on as long as he can or until the tiger is dead. If he isn't lucky well at least 75% of the hunting party survives.

I actually used to work with a guy who had a planting shovel with a reinforced blade that he would keep sharpened to a fine edge. His cunning plan was, if charged by a bear, he would plant the shaft of the shovel in the ground and allow the bear to impale itself on the blade (much like "expendable"above). Sadly we never got to see him test his theory.

mungojeerie
03-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Wouldn't it just have been easier to have said right off the get go, that you spoke to a CO about it and were given the OK?

Yes we can all read, some of us are lazier than others and cant be bothered especially if we're not planning on doing it ourselves. I read through the wildlife act and the regulations.

The problem is you can never cover your ass enough, just because you read it, doesn't mean it hasn't changed, or that there isn't an exemption somewhere else or some other thing supersedes it or there is some case law etc etc. The law can be a very convoluted thing.

I did send an email to the CO's asking if spear hunting for big game specifically black bear was a legal method of harvest and if it is or isn't I asked where in what act or regulation or case law does it state that. I have yet to hear back but when I do I will post the reply.

If I were to partake in something that I thought could be sketchy legally I would much rather have the word of CO along with his name and or badge number to back me up just in case I find myself in a situation where some other CO who either knows better or is ill informed decides to give me some bracelets. Obviously Gatehouse felt the same way at the time as he also took the time to contact a CO.

Barracuda
03-03-2011, 10:44 PM
i would like to use the holy hand grenade of Antioch :mrgreen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99X8WDQWAKg&feature=player_detailpage#t=37s

finngun
03-03-2011, 11:15 PM
original spear hunting....bloody mess,, where are greenpeace????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkN6C1ur1t8

Gateholio
03-03-2011, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=mungojeerie;870902]Wouldn't it just have been easier to have said right off the get go, that you spoke to a CO about it and were given the OK?

Easier for you, I guess. But that is hardly the point. Before you claim something as legal or illegal- DO SOME RESEARCH!!..

]
Yes we can all read, some of us are lazier than others and cant be bothered especially if we're not planning on doing it ourselves.

Then why question those that have done research into the matter?

The problem is you can never cover your ass enough, just because you read it, doesn't mean it hasn't changed, or that there isn't an exemption somewhere else or some other thing supersedes it or there is some case law etc etc. The law can be a very convoluted thing.

And if you did some research, all would be revealed.

I did send an email to the CO's asking if spear hunting for big game specifically black bear was a legal method of harvest and if it is or isn't I asked where in what act or regulation or case law does it state that. I have yet to hear back but when I do I will post the reply.

Good that you actually decided to do research rather than just say that it isn't legal via your interpretation like you said earlier.

I
f I were to partake in something that I thought could be sketchy legally I would much rather have the word of CO along with his name and or badge number to back me up just in case I find myself in a situation where some other CO who either knows better or is ill informed decides to give me some bracelets.

Research is important. I have been giving my views on the law after I did extensive research.

Obviously Gatehouse felt the same way at the time as he also took the time to contact a CO.

Actually, I think it was Foxer who did that, but it was more of a formality. None of us at the time could find anything outlawing spear hunting. Or rock hunting, slingshot hunting, stick hunting etc.

Gateholio
03-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Another option is to attach a long bayonet to a military rifle, sharpen bayonet up good and sharp (as most are dull) and go stick the bear. If he gives you any trouble, just shoot him.:tongue:

mungojeerie
03-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Okay I've received official confirmation on the legality of spear hunting bears.

I spoke via email with Dave Jevons, Division Initiatives Manager, Conservation Officer Services, MOE. Initially he seemed to think that it was unlawful to do so but wanted to do some more digging and question asking before giving me an answer.

His final correspondence was as follows:

--------
After further review and opinion I have to inform you that hunting with a spear is lawful for large game other than Bison.

While it is not prohibited to hunt wildlife (other than bison and migratory game birds) with a spear, please be advised that it is an offence to injure wildlife and fail to make every reasonable effort to retrieve the wildlife and kill it. Considering the limited killing ability and range of a spear it is possible that possession of only a spear to kill wounded wildlife would be inadequate to meet the standards of "every reasonable effort" to retrieve and kill a wounded animal. It is possible that it would be an offence to wound game with a spear and not track and kill the wounded animal.

Additionally, ethics play a large role in the hunter's decision to hunt with a spear. The hunter should consider whether the method being used is an effective and humane way to harvest an animal, and that the potential for wounding loss or unnecessary suffering is minimized.

Regards

Dave Jevons | Division Initiatives Manager
Conservation Officer Service | Ministry of Environment | 250-356-5005
--------

So although I personally would never do so, nor encourage others to do so If you are going to try this spear hunting for bears I would say take along an appropriate firearm as back up for safety, legal and moral obligations and it wouldn't hurt to jot down Mr. Jevons info too.

Like I said it was his initial opinion that it was unlawful and he investigated further as he wasn't positive. It stands to reason that it is possible to run into a CO or RCMP officer and have them question it. No need for arguments or your hunting time being wasted, pass along his name and number and say it's legal, ask for yourself if you don't believe me.

Gateholio
03-16-2011, 09:05 PM
Dave Jevons used to be one of our local CO's and I've got nothing but praise for him and our other local COs.

I'm not surprised that he thought it wasn't legal at first, as it's likely the first time anyone has asked him the question. I've already done the research which is why I made the statement that it was legal.

He brings up some good points regarding ethics and it's something that any prospective spear hunter should be very aware of. I don't care what weapon you choose, if you can't kill an animal cleanly, then you shouldn't "take the shot" so to speak.

That being said, bowhutning had pretty much died off until it had a "rebirth" of sorts and in it's fledgling years of long bows and recurves, there was plenty of criticism regarding ethics and humane hunting. Eventually bow hunting became a completely acceptable method of hunting.

Again, with any weapon, it comes down to the hunter to make a choice on what to do, and the decision should rest upon the likelihood of a clean kill, and not personal ego.

Peter Pepper
03-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Sooo anybody sharpening a pointing stick for spring?