PDA

View Full Version : Camoplast tatou 4 vs Kimper commander wide tracks

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-26-2011, 04:09 PM
So iv been looking up quad tracks and id really love to get some for late season hunting . i have a 2003 grizzly 660 with no real mods to speak of . but its a big purchase on a older quad with no power steering and lots of km ..i guess my plan would be to run tires till theres to much snow . i see a number of guys on here use tracks for hunting . just want to hear some thoughts on BOTH tracks. would id be better to go with a wide track in late season . or do the Camoplast tatou do it all , all that i will ever need .sounds like the new models are the cats meow .

Alone in the wildernes
02-26-2011, 04:14 PM
I have a 2004 honda 450 run the tires until there is to much snow then but the tracks on the cats meow !!!!!

plumbcrazy
02-26-2011, 04:47 PM
I really like my Tatoe 4S but they do slow you down alot. I would say like my top speed went down to 30 Km. Makes it hard to cover alot of ground qiuck.

bruin
02-26-2011, 04:49 PM
How are they in the mud? Better than tires?

Alone in the wildernes
02-26-2011, 04:54 PM
I like my mud tires better.

f350ps
02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
I really like my Tatoe 4S but they do slow you down alot. I would say like my top speed went down to 30 Km. Makes it hard to cover alot of ground qiuck.
How are they in deep snow or bare ground? How do you find the turning radius? I've been seriously thinking about getting a set but I'm still not sure. Thanks K

Alone in the wildernes
02-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Lets say I dont ride my snow machine much since I got tracks.

BlacktailStalker
02-26-2011, 05:14 PM
I've been running tracks HARD all winter, tatou 4s on my grizz 700.
Cats ass, literally.
I probably have 20 4-10hr days on them, around 1000kms and only adjusted them after the initial 'break in' and thats it.
I've been running on and off snow (lots of washouts, slides, creeks etc) in up to 5' of snow and no issues yet.
I'll dig some pics up.
Oh, pack plenty of fuel as they suck it up but small price to pay to go places you'd normally never be.
I'd look at a clutch kit too, I got a highlifter outlaw clutch kit but havent put it in yet.
The best thing about them is how stable they are, I had 5 dogs, aluminum dog box, 2 guys and a 150lb cat plus our gear and aside from being hard to steer, they got me where I needed to go.
The 4S is all you need.

boxhitch
02-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Running on open flat-er type trails or unplowed roads they are great
But they will not take you where a sled will when it comes to steep and deep

Ok ok I can only speak about an Outlander 800 on BRP's Apache tracks
compared to several sleds I have used from utility to high-markers

The wide-trax came out after we bought ours set-up:evil:

Clint_S
02-26-2011, 07:54 PM
My boss has commander wide tracks on his ATV and they float nice but as far as I know they are ONLY for snow so I would go with the Tatou's personally.
Oh yeah I've thrown the rear track twice in 4 times out.

Buckmeister
02-26-2011, 08:05 PM
I talked with Slinky Pickle the other night about the camoplast's he has on his SxS. He spoke very highly of them.

f350ps
02-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I've been running tracks HARD all winter, tatou 4s on my grizz 700.
Cats ass, literally.
I probably have 20 4-10hr days on them, around 1000kms and only adjusted them after the initial 'break in' and thats it.
I've been running on and off snow (lots of washouts, slides, creeks etc) in up to 5' of snow and no issues yet.
I'll dig some pics up.
Oh, pack plenty of fuel as they suck it up but small price to pay to go places you'd normally never be.
I'd look at a clutch kit too, I got a highlifter outlaw clutch kit but havent put it in yet.
The best thing about them is how stable they are, I had 5 dogs, aluminum dog box, 2 guys and a 150lb cat plus our gear and aside from being hard to steer, they got me where I needed to go.
The 4S is all you need.
Thanks BTS, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Two questions though, how is the maneuverability and turning radius. And how would they be on a 450? Thanks K

gbear
02-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I had the tatou 4S on my 450 yamaha kodiak. It had enough power, but as other's have said, top speed is slow. Mine was probably down to about 20km/hr or so. And it does go through fuel, but they worked great. I never did find a hill that I was ok with trying that it wouldn't climb. Goes like a tank.

I have since sold that quad and bought a side by side, and plan to have the tracks fitted for it for next season, or for grizzly season if I get the draw.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Thats great info . im not worryed about top speed . im looking for Utility use ..pulling skimmer with dog box ,cat and late season cruising logging roads with all my gear .sound like the tatou 4 is the way to go .since i have a 2003 660 grizzly , can anyone tell me more about this cluth kit , will i really need it? . hows that help with the low end ? And Anything i will need to keep my eye on or upgrade ? Im assuming a good shop will know some answers to the upgrades .

boxhitch
02-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Does the kit do anything besides ensure proper engagement and less belt wear?
Higher engagement rpm ?

Is more clutch cooling beneficial when running tracks and a load?

dabber
02-27-2011, 01:36 PM
I have the Tatou 4S on a Honda Rubicon. I've been happy with them. Lots of torque for pulling. You loose your top end speed and you'll have to pack extra fuel if your going any distance. I haven't had any terrane that it couldn't go over yet. It takes about an hour to switch back and forth from tracks to tires.I'm not familiar with sleds, but after watching Proguide having to shovel in the narrow cross ditchs in his video, I would think a tracked machine could easily crawl in and out as the tracks pivot to the terrain.

f350ps
02-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I think a set of these are in the near future. Thanks K

f350ps
02-27-2011, 02:17 PM
I had the tatou 4S on my 450 yamaha kodiak. It had enough power, but as other's have said, top speed is slow. Mine was probably down to about 20km/hr or so. And it does go through fuel, but they worked great. I never did find a hill that I was ok with trying that it wouldn't climb. Goes like a tank.

I have since sold that quad and bought a side by side, and plan to have the tracks fitted for it for next season, or for grizzly season if I get the draw.
Are the Tatou 4S interchangeable from make to make or are they brand specific? Thanks K

gbear
02-27-2011, 07:44 PM
Are the Tatou 4S interchangeable from make to make or are they brand specific? Thanks K

Most parts can be usable for a different machine. The shop told me that they would have to order me new mounting hardware, and the main sprocket that attaches to the wheel lugs. They told me that the change over would only be about $500. Which I thought was a better deal then trying to sell them and then buying a new set. I talked to 2 dealers close by that have done this many times to guys machines for the oil patch so it should work out ok.

BCsniper
02-27-2011, 08:12 PM
I have a honda rincon 680 and was thinking about putting the tracks on the quad. Anyone tried it with this model? I have been a little worried that I would be lacking some power only having 3 gears with no low.

Also the 4S's look like the way to go. Any of you guys have pictures of them on your machines?

huntingfamily
02-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Tatou 4s on a Grizzly 700. No power steering, no problem.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8723.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8724.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/IMG_8726.JPG

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-28-2011, 10:06 AM
AWESOME ! . so your model doesnt have power steering? . did you do any upgrades ?

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Thanks BTS, that's the kind of info I was looking for. Two questions though, how is the maneuverability and turning radius. And how would they be on a 450? Thanks K

Maneuverability is pretty good. To turn you need to be moving obviously, slower to turn sharper.
Turning radius... better than a sled and you have the abitlity to do ten pt turns t turn around anywhere.

BlacktailStalker
02-28-2011, 11:14 AM

The only thing that may change is the mounting kit. You can buy a different quad and a new mounting kit for around $600 IRC and away you go.

huntingfamily
02-28-2011, 05:56 PM
AWESOME ! . so your model doesnt have power steering? . did you do any upgrades ?

Quad is bone stock, and I don't feel that it needs any changes at all.
2007 model without power steering. Really wasn't a problem thankfully.

hf

BCsniper
03-01-2011, 02:16 PM
That's great. Thanks for the info. Often you read that if you aren't using a 800 or a machine with power steering that you are going to suffer. Nice to hear that the grizz can operate with them without the power steering.

How are the shocks when you have the tracks on?

How many miles do you have on them? What is the service requirements/wear on them?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-01-2011, 04:15 PM
No dout . i think i a 660 would be fine . i will just run stock to test for a season and go from there . on the grizzly rider forum theres some great reviews and vids from members with tracks . most are useing cluth kit of somekind. but i prefer to hear a hunters opinion on the subject ..sounds and looks like great fun tho . i cant wait to get some . just need the loot !. lol.

buford19
03-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Have you considered other brands of tracks. I use X gens on a kodiac 450. They work great, also have a build in suspension, for a smoother ride. They claim to be the easiest to steer, and you only lose 30% of your top end.

BlacktailStalker
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/TaylenJames/DSC04427.jpg

http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y305/TaylenJames/DSC04428.jpg

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-02-2011, 09:22 AM
I like that .. where did you get the box ? how did you mount it on the rack ? does it feel top heavy ? . id like to get one thats a little smaller , i only need to take two dogs at a time ..i used a barrel right now that i built ,only good for one dog tho but it works great and it was super cheap to build. heres a pic ..i have a neat rack that a friend build for it that i uses tye downs to keep on . works good .

BlacktailStalker
03-02-2011, 10:20 AM
If you look closely you will see a bracket made of angle bracket with hooks around the base of the box.
The box sits inside the bracket, which is bolted to the rack (4 stainless bolts/nuts)
2 ratchet straps and its off in 2 seconds.

I have a really good welder/fabricator here who works out of his home when he isn't contracting for BC Ferries... needless to say I have a small 'sea' of aluminum in my driveway lol

With tracks, its not even remotely close to being top heavy, the only difficulty I have at times is turning on an incline when the weight shifts to the back (obviously) so it takes a few more fwd/reverses. No big deal.
With just the tires on for bear hunting a guy needs to be a bit more cautious with the weight shifting but unless you're rocketing around mach-chicken, its not an issue.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-02-2011, 11:24 AM
What are the tracks like in the spring ? in the soft snow .. looks like a great box . i need one like that .. Do you have any more photos of it ? or if you get around to taking some more id love to see them . i have friend too who welds and im looking for more ideas of another rack . the one i have now is good for my gear box but i made it with a back rail so now i cant overhang a bigger box .so i dont think theres room on the floor for a box for two dogs to sit in .

BlacktailStalker
03-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Its always spring on the coast in BC. Your wet snow in spring is our snow all winter. Not an issue.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Sounds good ..it can be deep wet snow here in the spring ..might be a little more of a choir to turn and wet snow adds weights . id love to try to some tracks crossing slides paths and deep wet snow ..

Rodd
03-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Sounds like you need a snowmachine Dave!! LOL Still have my tundra...

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-02-2011, 04:09 PM
HA HA HA you told me you didnt want to part with it !.lol.

paw325
03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I went with the Tatou's,

My cat/dog chaser....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/peter338/DSCN0865.jpg

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-02-2011, 05:41 PM
thats cool. how fun is that to get out when you really get stuck ?. lol.

paw325
03-02-2011, 08:43 PM
thats cool. how fun is that to get out when you really get stuck ?. lol.

Its got a really big winch:mrgreen:

Pioneerman
03-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I have been dealing tracks for ten years and run them all. They all have great features, but I run the Tatou 4S on my Grizzly 660 and have for three years. New demo set every year, and I stick with them because I like them the best and other than the Commander wide tracks nothing has more flotation and you want to stay on top of snow or mud. The Commander WT are great if you never plan on running hard roads or mud for any length of time, but the 4S being all season is not a problem. I can get you some videos if you like.

BCsniper
03-02-2011, 11:18 PM
Pioneerman,

Have you had to do much service to the tracks? to your machine?

Just curious about the wear and tear on the machine and tracks.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-03-2011, 09:34 AM
What year is your 660 pioneerman ? have to had to upgrade anything ? . Sounds the tatou 4s is the way . going on my shopping list .. iv seen plenty of videos on u tube and other sites . iv stayed clear of them in the past because i heard there crappy , but it sounds like the new models have been greatly improved .

BCsniper
03-08-2011, 11:20 PM
I saw on ebay that you can get a set of tracks for $3K shipping included. Although I am thinking with something like this you might want local support. Any ideas? Thoughts?

Pioneerman
03-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Hi guys sorry I did not see the new posts here to respond.

BCSniper: I ran my 2003 660 since new with tracks, just running in winter so about 5000 of that was tracks, and people with no experience trying them for demo and still no damage. The machine had 15000 klms on it when I sold it last yuear and nothing other than oil changes to the machine. I always run new and improved tracks every year being a deal I get the chances to run all of them anytime I want. all of them are pretty much maintenance free after yourt first track stretch adjustment. Generally my buddies are waiting in the shadows to get my last years demo sets so I do still see them running for many years. Sometimes they will upgrade for new and improved systems, but not because of any faults.

Golden Top Sniper : I have sold them for 10 years and honestly they have neveer been crappy, you will hear that from the guys who don't want to stepo up and put out the money. Just like guys who say that ATV's are no good it is because they don't own one. As I said I did have a 2003 660 and sold it with 15,000 kms and still in excellent shape and I picked up another 660 2008 with 800 kms and I love it, I never felt the need for P/S as so many say they need. sure it might be better until it fails, so for me I have no problems steering we did not have P/S before and managed just fine.

Yes some are shown on Ebay they are older systems, not always complete and not always the right mounting systems you need for your specific machine. I sell nine different models of tracks and there is 80 different mounting kits from each manufacturer to fit certain machines. So if you decide to go south of the border to buy Canadian make sure you are actually getting what you need. I have had so many calls from guys who have done this and they call me and complain becuase they don't fit. Well it was not my fault, but by time I got them what they needed because the ebayer doesn't know how to help it costs them more than it would of new from here , for something with no warrenty. Just in case they tell you they are warrented, good luck getting the factory to do any thing here in canda for a US sold product. You would either have to do the repairs yourself, after the the ebayer gets the parts, if they are even a registered dealer, or you will have to return them there, but that is thr worst case senario.

No matter what brand, style or model you get they kick butt over any tires in snow or deep mud and they are tons of fun :mrgreen:

Pioneerman
03-08-2011, 11:57 PM
I saw on ebay that you can get a set of tracks for $3K shipping included. Although I am thinking with something like this you might want local support. Any ideas? Thoughts?

I just looked at Ebay the price is $3090 there is a $799 charge for shipping and that is not counting the brokerage fees you pay and they are not cheap, plus boder fees. So that is $3899 before fees and taxces and they sell here for $3850 before taxes delivered to the door, so where is the better deal ?

BCsniper
03-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Hahaha fair enough. I have never been a huge fan of purchasing across the border as you give up all warranty and service when you do.

$3850.00 to the door is a great deal.

Do you guys organize many rides?

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-09-2011, 06:28 PM
Thanks pioneerman, thats great info i have the same 2003 660 with 10 000 km , and its still bulletproof .the tracks are on my wish list .

BCsniper
03-09-2011, 10:09 PM
Both your Yamaha's have 10,000+ KM's on it? WOW. I have approximately 1500 on mine and not a problem touch wood, but that is amazing considering that they are off roading. That's actually my next machine because I have heard that they are the better work horse/off road rider.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
03-10-2011, 07:29 PM
I am a long time Honda fan , but my boss bought two new 2003 660 grizzlys , after on week off rideing his , i bought the same one , and its never left me stranded ,just over 10 000 km and it still running strong . the thing i like about the grizzly is that its the perfect size to man handle thru the trees . i use it like some people would use a horse . theres no place i cant go with a shovel and a chainsaw , except of course in deep snow , which i will fix when i get some tracks ..

Pioneerman
03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
I never wanted anything other than Honda before too and used to really give every one else a hard time. I have had 3 and 4 wheelers since they first came out, 15 of them so far. In 1998 when they came out with the 600 Grizzly I tried it and could not look back, then the 660 came out with Independant suspension and which I did not like on other machines I loved the ride. We used to ride maybe 80 kms a day which was a long ride, then I got the new suspension and our rides were around 130 kms a day cause it was that much more comfortable.

Honda really dropped off the map with keeping up as the other brands started moving ahead . It even took years for Honda to go to Disc brakes, and they had that sideways motor and the hyd tranny had a lot of problems. I still think Honda has one of the best motors and I had lots of them and they were reliable, but I am a Yamaha guy now, hell even my cruser street bike is a Yamaha, don't tell any of the Harley guys i ride with lol.

Pioneerman
03-10-2011, 08:00 PM
Hahaha fair enough. I have never been a huge fan of purchasing across the border as you give up all warranty and service when you do.

$3850.00 to the door is a great deal.

Do you guys organize many rides?

We ride a lot when we can get everyone together. We built a cabin a couple years ago south island so we go there a lot which is many feet of snow this time of year so just tracks, or the guys that want to come with tires we drag them lol Then make them cut firewood and clean up the cabin of we won't drag them back out lol

Slime green cat
03-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Anybody here have experience with tracks on a Rhino ? or similar weight SxS ? Is there a bigger set for SxS's ?
I have an 06 660 Rhino, and I just moved from the lowermainland to the beautiful east Kootenays :mrgreen: and I am now in need of a snow machine .....Winters are too long not to have one.
So I have been thinking about a good used sled for next winter ... but this thread has now got me thinking a set of tracks might be the ticket ... a good used sled is probably about the same money .
So will tracks handle the weight of the Rhino even in the deep deep Kootenay powder ? My Rhino is close to 1200 lbs empty .... add 4 to 500 lbs for 2 people and some gear ?? Will they work for me ? or am I going to be forever winching and shoveling ? I dont want be stuck on logging roads and fairly level trails ... I want to make fresh tracks in the deep stuff.
Thanks for any input you guys can give :)

Oops, just went back to page 4 of the thread and saw paw325,s rig .... Nice ! So how does she run in deep fresh powder ? and will it climb in powder ?
Thanks for your input ..

Slinky Pickle
03-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Wow, how did I miss this thread. I have Tatou 4S tracks on my SxS and they are fantastic. I've done some pretty stupid stuff with them and they have done very well.

The only time I got stuck was my own fault and if I would have read up putting a track back on I would not have had to leave it on the hill for a week. When I got stuck I had the brilliant idea to hook the winch line under the front left track to try and lift it while I pulled forward. That was a stupid idea and it led to me slipping the track off. If I had actually read the damn manual I would have known how easy it was to replace a track.... but I didn't and we had to go back up a few days later and rescue her.

The story is here http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62722&highlight=tatou&page=4

I would by another set of Tatou 4S tracks tomorrow... but I don't need to because the ones I have are doing just fine.

If you have any questions at all about them feel free to PM me.

paw325
03-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Anybody here have experience with tracks on a Rhino ? or similar weight SxS ? Is there a bigger set for SxS's ?
I have an 06 660 Rhino, and I just moved from the lowermainland to the beautiful east Kootenays :mrgreen: and I am now in need of a snow machine .....Winters are too long not to have one.
So I have been thinking about a good used sled for next winter ... but this thread has now got me thinking a set of tracks might be the ticket ... a good used sled is probably about the same money .
So will tracks handle the weight of the Rhino even in the deep deep Kootenay powder ? My Rhino is close to 1200 lbs empty .... add 4 to 500 lbs for 2 people and some gear ?? Will they work for me ? or am I going to be forever winching and shoveling ? I dont want be stuck on logging roads and fairly level trails ... I want to make fresh tracks in the deep stuff.
Thanks for any input you guys can give :)

Oops, just went back to page 4 of the thread and saw paw325,s rig .... Nice ! So how does she run in deep fresh powder ? and will it climb in powder ?
Thanks for your input ..

Slime

Those tracks are unbelievable. The spots I've put that machine are unbelievable and unatainable with a wheeled machine.

It runs 2 feet of powder easily on gentler grades, steeper grades are doable but some sidehilling is required.

Deadshot
04-07-2015, 10:31 AM
Just dug up this old thread.
I'm gonna pull the pin on some tracks for a new polaris 1000.
After reading this thread, it sounds like the Tatou's are the way to go.
With the thread being 4 years old, I was wondering if anyone has used anything different/newer that's now on the market?

klondikemike
04-12-2015, 07:54 PM
The tatou's are very good but i found in the stumps and around where the beavers cut trees you tend to wreck the front wheels on the back track. By their design the wont go over the stump but rather hit directly on the side busting the wheel. Its very easy to change out in the bush and easy to repair the wheels when you get home. The snap ring pulls out of the plastic in the wheel. One other thing because of the design, when you cross a deadfall or small tree it gets caught above the top of top front wheel on the back track, just cross these at 45 degrees so the front track holds it down till the back track is on top of it.

Pioneerman
04-12-2015, 07:58 PM
Deadshot I sent you a email the other day when you called me, I do not know if I got the right email . I tried to send you a message here to confirm, but your box is full here on the site.

Mike

BlacktailStalker
04-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Tatou 4s all the way ! had them for three years on my grizzly with over 2000kms and not one issue.
I have a set for my 900 polaris ranger now but they havent even been put on yet, with our shitty winter and all :(
They've improved/changed a lot since my first set so I expect they will be great !!

.330 Dakota
04-12-2015, 10:02 PM
I just looked at Ebay the price is $3090 there is a $799 charge for shipping and that is not counting the brokerage fees you pay and they are not cheap, plus boder fees. So that is $3899 before fees and taxces and they sell here for $3850 before taxes delivered to the door, so where is the better deal ?

Plus another 20% for the exchange

BlacktailStalker
04-12-2015, 10:07 PM
Yeah and you have to deal with someone X miles away for warranty. No brainer, buy local if the price is right !