PDA

View Full Version : Illuminated Reticles and "Long Range" scopes

RBooth
02-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm in the market for a VX-3 4.5x14x50 as well as showtimebc who posted earlier but my questions lie with reticles and 'long range' on a scope.

Does anyone have experience with illuminated reticles vs solid black? My initial thoughts are that illuminated would be great on overcast and low light conditions but possibly horrible on bright days with snow? Can you see the illuminated reticles with a bright white background?

Looking through manufacturer websites I can't seem to find out what the difference between a VX-3 4.5x14x50 and a VX-3 4.5x14x50 LONG RANGE is? Pictures show a third dial on the middle of the scope, I'm assuming this is one of the few differences but what does the third dial do? Edit***Oh is the third dial "parallax"? I've heard about parallax but never seen or used it. Any thoughts on this if that's the case? From the little I know about parallax I would not get it as I like to be able to quickly 'point and shoot' to capitalize on those short encounters. ***

A less important question, as I think I've already decided on a VX-3, has anyone used the VX-3L series or the same style in a different brand (cut out exit lense to hug the barrel, lowering the scope height).

Thanks,

RB

Spy
02-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Check out Leupolds new VXR Range of scopes!:-D Here is a link to the thread!
I will be mounting one on my new rifle! Really nice scopes & a great price.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62176&highlight=leupold

Spy
02-26-2011, 03:38 PM
Here is the link to the Leupold website & VXR product range.
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/vx-r-riflescopes/

RBooth
02-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Thanks! I hadn't looked at the VXR yet. Looks like a pretty cool idea with the fire dot!

SHAKER
02-27-2011, 08:39 AM
I've hunted with my Mark 4 leupold 6.5x20 many times.... don't worry about the parrelex adjustment on the side of the scope. I set mine so everythings crystal clear out to a couple hundred yards then I can adjust if I need to make a longer shot. The scopes that really annoy me are the ones that have their adjustments on the objective end. I run a mil-dot cross hair on mine and like it but It does get thin on low light. Even though my scope also has illuminated reticals I haven't shot with them yet since my battery died before I got the scope mounted ( didn't turn it off when I put it away!). Anyone know what kind of battery those scopes take and where to get one at a reasonable price?