PDA

View Full Version : Vernon Outdoor Store?

wunderboy
02-25-2011, 03:24 PM
Anybody know why its closed down?

mctwist
02-25-2011, 06:37 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=63099&highlight=vernon

Big Lew
02-25-2011, 08:31 PM
You have to have an edge, knowledge, specialty goods, an energy and willingness to help and keep customers, competitive pricing, and location, in order to compete with stores like Herby's Surplus.

Mik
02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Do n ot know why? but have heard that Kenkraft was there to buy the old stock.

uraarchr
02-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Seems like they had more of an "edge" when they had lots of good stock and a knowledgeable archery guy there.As of late it seemed like they did'nt have a lot of anything there.I found that I was getting a lot of stuff out of town just because Vernon did not have it(except for gun stuff at Del's) .

bomber
02-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah it didn't seem to me like the store had a real competitive advantage that they could leverage. Walmart and Canadian tire have the low end of the market covered, WSS in Kamloops is close enough to drive to in order to save money on the nicer gear, and Del's has the hardcore gun market sown up. I personally haven't found the service at Del's to be any good whatsoever in the few times I've been in there, so I'll go to Grouse River or WSS for gun stuff, but the Outdoor Store never really competed there anyways. Guess they just didn't find a niche to serve that would allow them to stay in business.

300H&H
02-26-2011, 02:43 PM
After the store sold to the current owners, service went down hill fast.
I'd walk in the door and no one said "hi" or "can I help you".
The same thing happened here in Kelowna with Bear Creek Sports.
New owners...poor service.
I guess they think all the hard work has been done and they just have to sit there and the $$$ will roll in.