PDA

View Full Version : Pepperoni

Fishgutz
02-24-2011, 11:44 AM
I've started to make my own pepperoni and sausages, and found that Helfords mix is a good mild base with a nice flavor. My problem is the finishing/cooking. My last batch was 3lbs pork and 10lbs of moose and it turned out a little too dry and chewy....So I'm looking for some help....

I'm using a 22mil casing
Holding a min of 24hrs befor cooking
Cooking at 175F (lowest for my stove and last batch took 4 hours to hit 160F)

Next batch is this weekend:
I'm increasing the fat by using more pork and a little fatty beef (for flavor)

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

tomahawk
02-24-2011, 12:38 PM
Not sure what is in a Helford's mix but I'll assume just spices and cure??
The dryness you are experiencing is likely your comparison of your homemade to store bought pepperoni which is very high in fat content. You will get used to it being drier or you can add more fat to it as well but that's not the healthy option, your better off to adjust your taste buds to the drier flavour. I was the same as you many yrs ago but now the store bought just tastes to fatty to me. The chewy is likely your burger or grinding is not fine enough, if you run it through a fine plate (1/8") a couple times it will be not chewy at all. Make sure that your thermometer probe is in the center of the pepperoni and inserted from the end (harder to do) and not through the side (easy to do) so you get the proper reading of 160.

ufishifish2
03-05-2011, 01:32 PM
I completely agree with Tomahawk. The drier pepperoni is far better for your health. Try it out with friends and see what they think. Around here, if I had any friends to share with, they'd probably prefer the drier stuff too!!!! :)

Slee
03-05-2011, 01:42 PM
I dont like adding any pork to pepperoni, why ruin a good thing with swine. 100% wild meat only. I smoke it for an hour at 200F, then finish in the oven (200F) until it reaches 165F internal temp. I then put them on a cooling rack in the laundry room to dry out for a day or two depending on how humid it is. I test them out every 10 hours or so until its to my liking.

When it comes right out of the oven it will taste like an over cooked piece of meat, but over the next day or two, that dryness goes away and becomes more like store bought pepperoni

this is just one way to do it.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg203/efdkelly/76667878.jpg

Alone in the wildernes
03-05-2011, 01:57 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm time to go to the freezer getting hungry ?

nano
03-05-2011, 06:23 PM
I've started to make my own pepperoni and sausages, and found that Helfords mix is a good mild base with a nice flavor. My problem is the finishing/cooking. My last batch was 3lbs pork and 10lbs of moose and it turned out a little too dry and chewy....So I'm looking for some help....

I'm using a 22mil casing
Holding a min of 24hrs befor cooking
Cooking at 175F (lowest for my stove and last batch took 4 hours to hit 160F)

Next batch is this weekend:
I'm increasing the fat by using more pork and a little fatty beef (for flavor)

Thanks in advance for the help!!!!

It is dry and chewy because there is not enough fat. If you don't want to add fat you could add some white wine to add some moisture.

pearljam
03-05-2011, 08:38 PM
have to agree with Slee, pepperoni is to have flavor not fat unless you are making 2" dia. for pizza then just go to your nearest deli