PDA

View Full Version : camping /hunting Idea.....

beeugle
02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Ok, I'm throwing this out there, currently, I have a 1998 26 foot trailer I am about to sell.... a beautiful unit, however......... I'm wondering and looking for input from fellow outdoorsmen as to the viability of an Idea I have..... I am considering rather than selling the trailer, renting it out to people who would like to come to the kootenays for a camping weekend/week, and or in hunting season , set up on a lake or river, or.. campground , where ever, all set up ready to camp in, maybe if the need was there, rent them a boat, etc. All this for a reasonable price, seems to me to make sense, people get the opportunity to come here without the hassle of hauling a trailer up, and or in hunting season, save some fuel in not having to haul one up here. so.... give me some input... would any of you find this appealing and or do you think this would be something you or someone you know would look at as a great opportunity? If I do this, obviously there are some small issues to deal with such as liabilitys, insurances etc, but basically offer a service to people to enjoy...Alright... give me the good bad and the ugly... My wife is more inclined to just sell it, but...me, I see an opportunity......

Fisher-Dude
02-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Remember that you can't park it on Crown land or in a forestry campsite for more than 14 days. Does that change things?

beeugle
02-23-2011, 08:31 PM
nope, I'm thinking, taking it out set it up, bring it home when they are done , so never leaving it anywhere near that long, basically a week, weekend type set up..

cavebear
02-23-2011, 08:31 PM
you would need a good deposit, because i do not believe you can get rental insurance. One morron and your the one that gets screwed.

sparkes3
02-23-2011, 08:37 PM
sounds like a good idea, but as cavebear said all it would take is one group 0f idiots and yer done.

Tripitaka
02-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Could you trade it for an RV and rent that?

I came over on a scouting trip last summer and hired an RV that cost me nearly $3000 for 14 nights. That was HALF the price of smaller units from CampCanada and their sort.

Bonus is that you would only need to rent it during the summer to cover your costs and turn a profit for the year. More difficult with a trailer to hit the tourist market where the bigger $$$ are.

landphil
02-23-2011, 08:40 PM
There is a (at least one) rental RV place around here that will deliver a trailer to your desired site and set it on, then pack up and return it when your done. Something similar to what you're talking about, not sure if you're thinking of including delivery and set up, and collecting it later, but it would take some of the risk out of the picture if you did. IIRC they were going for somewhere near 1K per week, fully outfitted, bedding, etc included. It's a lot, but also a lot cheaper than any other options for 4 people spending a week in the Brokenagan. You may have to try a bit lower rates than that, us hunters are a stingy bunch.:mrgreen:

beeugle
02-23-2011, 08:41 PM
thought about the motorhome aspect but thought maybe this way I would have a bit more control in that I wouldn't have maintenance worries etc, only take it out, set it all up, and it doesn't leave until I go get it at the completion of their weekend/week type thing...

tomahawk
02-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Regardless of how often you rent it out, it carries with it some positive tax benefit's as it now is a business you are running. So if you make good coin and want to get back a share of the income tax you pay every year this is one of the ways that makes money in more ways than one for you.

beeugle
02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
There is a (at least one) rental RV place around here that will deliver a trailer to your desired site and set it on, then pack up and return it when your done. Something similar to what you're talking about, not sure if you're thinking of including delivery and set up, and collecting it later, but it would take some of the risk out of the picture if you did. IIRC they were going for somewhere near 1K per week, fully outfitted, bedding, etc included. It's a lot, but also a lot cheaper than any other options for 4 people spending a week in the Brokenagan. You may have to try a bit lower rates than that, us hunters are a stingy bunch.:mrgreen:
was actually thinking more in the 500 bucks a week area.....

landphil
02-23-2011, 08:51 PM
was actually thinking more in the 500 bucks a week area.....

Sounds reasonable for sure, I'd look into the insurance situation, then you need to figure out how to cover your assets regarding damage with some sort of deposit, and expect to do cleaning, laundry, dishes.... Anything excessive can come off the deposit returned, but you'll have some regardless.

XPEIer
02-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Remember that you can't park it on Crown land or in a forestry campsite for more than 14 days. Does that change things

You cannot use a Recreation Site for a commercial operation for any length of time, so they would have to rent the unit and haul it there with them, same as all the RV's we see from Calgary and Vancouver.

If you could work out some deals with some private land owners, I think it may be a good idea. With the price of oil and gas going through the roof, sometimes it is cheaper to pile the crew into one vehicle and rent when you get there versus haul your own camper down.

xpeier

ufishifish2
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Nope, for $500 bucks a week I may as well drag my own "Shangri-la" out there.
Great idea, but it sounds like way too much hassle to me!!!

elcazador
02-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I think is a great idea, the more of a package you do the better it could be.

rent Camper, ATV, bikes, sell food/water, provisioning, area private land permits etc, all that as a price that for people who doesn't have the time to do it properly.

figure out how many times you need to rent it to make it worth your while, them target them through this forums and you should get some responses.

You tell me that I will arrive and have it all set, you have a client already. there is also other lonely hunters that you could match with and make small groups etc. Partner with a guide and see how it goes, guiding prices are stupid high and people who go with guides go because of the learning first hand, or is their first time, people that doesn't know the area will feel good that you can give them some pointers on the area etc, but again I think the keyword here is "1 flexible package"

if you can deliver that put me down for 2 weeks, starting a week before bow hunting starts. I'll need a place to sleep, provisions, an off road small vehicle (motorbike or ATV would do)

keep us posted.

cheers.