PDA

View Full Version : bow hunting question ??

Gauge
02-23-2011, 07:40 PM
question is can one hunt with a bow in city limits ?? I dont bow hunt but looking to settle a argument between co workers, when i mean city limits i mean close to houses or buisness and such ?? any help would be appreciated so someone can get there hundred bucks they have on the line.. also maybe point me in the direction were it states this in the regulations..this is what i found,

It is unlawful to discharge a firearm in a
No Shooting Area (see Definitions section).
No Shooting Areas as prescribed under the

Wildlife Act

are open to the use of bows

(including crossbows) unless specifically
restricted (see regional sections)

steepNdeep
02-23-2011, 08:00 PM
Tell us the truth... are you feuding with your neighbour??? ;) They are often restricted within City limirs by the municipal bylaws. You would have to check that at City Hall.

rocket
02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
As a bowhunter I must first of all say I think a persons morals as a hunter should kick in, common sense. Giving antihunters ammuntion is not a good thing. In saying that i believe every city has its own bylaws regarding hunting in city limits. I mean the last thing anyone wants to see is a wounded animal or worse yet with an arrow hanging out of it dropping in the front yard. Look at the moron poaching deer on the island, deer running around with arrows makes bowhunters look bad . There is lots of bush and deer in them if you know how to bowhunt.

Ddog
02-23-2011, 08:04 PM
yup,,check local bylaws as to what city or cities you are requiring about,
you still have to be a certain distance from houses and dwellings and schools.
i cannot discharge my bow inside city limits here in Cranbrook.

bugler
02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Depends on the municipality. Years ago nobody thought about bowhunting and you could legally shoot deer in town with a bow as most bylaws said "no shooting", which refers to firearms. Many towns have now included bows.

City/town limits are clearly defined. Either you are in or out, regardless of how close you are to houses. You can check with your town for a map.

Matty_ola
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Here in the Loops they treat us like prisoners:(

WHEREAS under Section 871 of the Municipal Act (R.S.B.C. 1960) the Council is
empowered to regulate or prohibit the discharging of firearms, including air guns, air
rifles, air pistols and spring guns;
AND WHEREAS the Council deems it necessary and expedient to prohibit the
discharging of firearms, including air guns, air rifles, air pistols, spring guns and other
lethal weapons:
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the City of Kamloops in open meeting assembled,
enacts as follows:
1. No person may discharge firearms, including air guns, air rifles, air pistols, spring
guns, or other lethal weapons within, over or into the boundaries of the City of
Kamloops.
(24-25) 2. Notwithstanding Section 1, the Council or the Officer in Charge of the Kamloops
City Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, including his duly
appointed designate, may issue a permit for the discharge of firearms for a
specific purpose which the Council or the Officer in Charge of the Kamloops City
Detachment of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police deem necessary.
3. Notwithstanding Section 1, firearms or other lethal weapons may be discharged
at, in or on suitable ranges established with the approval of Council or on
working cattle ranches or farms, being commercial agricultural enterprises
operating on not less than 20 acres wholly or partly within the City boundaries
and depending on cultivating or pasturing the land.
4. Any person contravening or committing any breach of or committing any offence
against any of the provisions of this by-law or of the regulations or orders issued
under this by-law, or refusing, omitting, or neglecting to fulfill, observe, carry out
or perform any duty or obligation required by this by-law, or by the regulations or
orders created hereunder, prescribed or imposed, is liable on summary
conviction, to a fine of not more than Three Hundred Dollars ($300.00) and
costs.
5. By-law No. 56 of the former District of Brocklehurst
By-law No. 24 of the former District of Dufferin and
By-law No. 24 of the former Town of Valleyview are hereby repealed.
6. This by-law may be cited as the “Firearms Control By-law No. 24-13, 1976".

tomahawk
02-23-2011, 08:48 PM
If the city is " No Shooting" you can take out your bow and hunt ethically however if the city has " NO HUNTING and NO SHOOTING" the bow is not legal in the city.

Ddog
02-24-2011, 07:23 AM
If the city is " No Shooting" you can take out your bow and hunt ethically however if the city has " NO HUNTING and NO SHOOTING" the bow is not legal in the city.

even if the city has a no shooting by-law you need to look at whether it is legal to shoot a bow in the city, completely different by law.

elcazador
02-24-2011, 02:23 PM
From what I know WestVancouver and Langley have some bylaws that also curtain the use of bows in within municipality limits.

tomahawk
02-24-2011, 07:59 PM
even if the city has a no shooting by-law you need to look at whether it is legal to shoot a bow in the city, completely different by law.

Agree whole heartedly, you have to cover all bases!!

kevin_dahl
02-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Trev, Is this the same guy u argued with over the picture that claimed he shot that "antlerless" moose or whatever?

Gauge
02-28-2011, 08:08 PM
No kev , two glaziers on site disagreeing on the matter ..