PDA

View Full Version : Bonefish Honduras

Yak
02-22-2011, 10:46 PM
Hey guys, hoping someone is willing to share some knowledge on bonefishing on the fly. Im headed to honduras (Roatan) in 2 weeks and going to have time for one day of guided fly fishing and possibly a few other quick tries.

Ive got an 8 weight rod and new reel loaded with warmwater weight forward bonefish taper flyline. Ive also ordered crazy charlie, bonefish bitter, merkin and raghead fly patterns.

Anyone on here flyfished for bones before?

Thanks guys

YaK

Spirit's Master
02-24-2011, 09:01 PM
I've flats fished for bones and permit in Belize a few times. Can't be too much different in Honduras. Sounds like you have the right gear in hand already. Some will say you need to be able to punch 70ft+ to be effective but a good guide can cut that to 50ft or so.

Do your guided day first and get the feel for it then hire a local kid with a boat and get him to take you out.

Practice your casting on the beach before you pay for your guide, it'll make your day easier and your guide will be able to help you catch more fish if you're not fumbling around.

Pick up some flourocarbon leader 6,8,10# and maybe some 25# in case you see a tarpon. Take all of your tools and favourite gadgets in a small chest pack if possible.

Hat, polarized shades are a must, sunscreen, light coloured clothing (baby blue blends in with the sky). Flats boots are an asset, but a good pair closed toe sandals will do (be careful when wading).

When you get to your destination check out the beach scene, there will probably be a fly shop around (good local knowledge).

Fish, eat, drink beer and have fun!

cwf

Duckman
02-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Good advice above, I would add:

-if you are buying new polarized glasses, look for a very close fit to your face (to minimize light coming in from around the frames).

-consider sungloves (I got mine at MYflyshop in Vancouver). its nice not to worry about sunburned hands.

-consider a sunmask too.

Good Sun protection is key for comfort and also staying focussed on spotting and catching fish!

Yak
03-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys, Ill need to pickup some sun gloves and look into warm water wading boots or sandals.

Leaving on friday, cant wait! Havent fared that well steelheading so far this year.

Thanks again for the advice

Yak

Duckman
03-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Tight lines Yak! Please post your story and a pic or two when you return. BTW a kaYAK can be a good way to access skinny water!v