PDA

View Full Version : Extended Mulie season for Reg 8???

Buckmeister
02-22-2011, 08:09 PM
This is a multiple choice poll about rifle season.

Would you like to see an extended season for region 8, lets say similar to region 3? And/or would you like to see more of the season be open to any buck, or keep the whole thing to 4 point and bigger only?

If you would like to keep things the way they are or if you would like to see changes for other regions as well, feel free to comment.

Gunner
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
I'd like to see a longer 4 pt season,not neccesarily as long as Region 3.Perhaps Dec 1st,even Nov.15th would be a bit better than the 10th.No one can tell me that there is any good reason that bucks in my area close Nov.10th while 15 miles away they stay open til Dec 10th.They are the same deer,seperated only by an imaginary line that regional managers drew up,and there are many less hunters around since they drew those lines..:confused: Gunner

aliagha
02-22-2011, 08:15 PM
Would you like to see an extended season for region 8, lets say similar to region 3? And/or would you like to see more of the season be open to any buck, or keep the whole thing to 4 point only?

from personal experience, i have seen a good amount of increased in muley population in region 8. did not hunt region 3 last year but have heard that people didn't get much out of it. i would vote for the anybuck season in region 8.

dino
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
I like it when it was an oct 20 closure for any buck and Still like the nov 10 4 point closure.

Buckmeister
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
I like it when it was an oct 20 closure for any buck and Still like the nov 10 4 point closure.

There is a local haunt that myself and certain family members hunt. It's a great area to hunt mulies and the moose are really making an apperance there too. Some years the big boys haven't even moved into that area by the time Nov 10th rolls around as they spend most of the pre hunting season up in the alpine.

Laurence_Erickson
02-22-2011, 09:39 PM
I definetly think it should be longer .This would take some of the pressure off of my clearwater honey hole :)

Marlin375
02-22-2011, 09:57 PM
There is a local haunt that myself and certain family members hunt. It's a great area to hunt mulies and the moose are really making an apperance there too. Some years the big boys haven't even moved into that area by the time Nov 10th rolls around as they spend most of the pre hunting season up in the alpine.

I think thats the whole idea.........they are considerably harder to harvest when you have to go get them. If the season ran into the migration too far it would be exactly like shooting fish in a barrel, and more like an ambush than pursuit. By Dec 10th there are some nice if not all bucks on the move. Or are we just polling the rifle season?

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 10:19 PM

Why?

I think thats the whole idea.........they are considerably harder to harvest when you have to go get them. If the season ran into the migration too far it would be exactly like shooting fish in a barrel, and more like an ambush than pursuit. By Dec 10th there are some nice if not all bucks on the move. Or are we just polling the rifle season?

Like shooting fish in a barrel? Does that happen in regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7A, and 7B where the seasons all run later than region 8? :confused:

Buckmeister
02-22-2011, 10:46 PM

The spot I'm refering to is mainly a stopping off point. The deer move in, spend a few weeks there, then move lower down. It's not an easy place to hunt by any means, but I do find it enjoyable to go there, and rarely do I come across other hunters in there.

Yeah, I should have specified the poll for rifle season, I'll make a change in my first post.

358mag
02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Jezz here we go again get out the popcorn and cold beer.
How many days do we need to shoot a Mule Deer in BC ?? or is it just all then lazy road hunters that want to shoot a rutted up Mulie in the late season ??
Opppss sorry dont have any stats on that statement just a gut feeling.

Buckmeister
02-22-2011, 10:59 PM
Jezz here we go again get out the popcorn and cold beer.
How many days do we need to shoot a Mule Deer in BC ?? or is it just all then lazy road hunters that want to shoot a rutted up Mulie in the late season ??
Opppss sorry dont have any stats on that statement just a gut feeling.

Well most regions in BC already have more time to hunt mule deer. Just looking for some equality for region 8. Either extend it in 8, or (gasp :eek:) shorten it in the others.

Ohhhh, low blow on the road hunters dude. Actually, i don't mind the road hunters, I know exactly where they are when I shoot my deer up in the bush off the road, safer for them that way.

dino
02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
FD the 10 days between oct 20 and nov1 seem to get the deer to let their guard down a bit and because I like to hunt high almost all the time it fits the bill for me and it works out fairly well. I know that I'm the small minority here that thinks this and it sounds selfish but it just works out well and keeps the pressure down. If my style of hunting was different my answer would be different.

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 11:19 PM
FD the 10 days between oct 20 and nov1 seem to get the deer to let their guard down a bit and because I like to hunt high almost all the time it fits the bill for me and it works out fairly well. I know that I'm the small minority here that thinks this and it sounds selfish but it just works out well and keeps the pressure down. If my style of hunting was different my answer would be different.

The reality is it concentrated the majority of hunting into 20 days rather than 30 creating a tonne of pressure all at one time, and the COs were having a hell of a time with people playing the line between 3 and 8.

The population is exploding so there's no conservation reason to restrict it further. We can't affect deer populations by hunting bucks only. Unless ratios fall below 10:100 there's no sperm supply issue, and all the counts are showing >20 and large numbers of deer, except for some parts of 8-15, which is a habitat not hunting issue. All these burns and regen pine blocks are producing a shitload of deer!

landphil
02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
I'm all in favour of extending the 4pt season until Nov 30th.

dino
02-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Fd your probebly right with what you have said about the CO's problems and the deer counts. I dont follow that info like I should but getting back to the answer I gave, Its like I said for me personally I see very little pressure from nov 1-10 and the old oct 20 closure gave the animals time to relax a bit before nov 1. Its just a personal thing, not an answer I would give for whats good for everyone else.

Fisher-Dude
02-23-2011, 01:11 PM
Fd your probebly right with what you have said about the CO's problems and the deer counts. I dont follow that info like I should but getting back to the answer I gave, Its like I said for me personally I see very little pressure from nov 1-10 and the old oct 20 closure gave the animals time to relax a bit before nov 1. Its just a personal thing, not an answer I would give for whats good for everyone else.

I advocate for more opportunity for everyone, because I fully understand the slippery slope we are on with low hunter numbers. Without getting our numbers up, we're only going to be able to be telling our next generation stories about how we went deer hunting, as there will be NO hunting for them. It's not about me, because I can generally get the game I need for the freezer. Long ago I abandoned the "about me" for seasons.

CanuckShooter
02-23-2011, 01:41 PM
We need more Liberal hunting seasons, eradication of the LEH on most species, and outdoorsmen courses in our K-12 schools.

dino
02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
I advocate for more opportunity for everyone, because I fully understand the slippery slope we are on with low hunter numbers. Without getting our numbers up, we're only going to be able to be telling our next generation stories about how we went deer hunting, as there will be NO hunting for them. It's not about me, because I can generally get the game I need for the freezer. Long ago I abandoned the "about me" for seasons.
Point well taken. I dont think that by me answering a pole question on here and answering it honestly will have any effect on hunter opportunity in the future. By the way it is all about me. LOL

Ourea
02-23-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm a "the glass is half full" kind of guy. I personally feel very appreciative of the fact we have some of the most liberal general hunting seasons in North America. I for one am very content with our Mule Deer season in region 8 as sixty days is ample time to get a lot of quality hunting in. With a Nov 10th close we still have the opportunity to hunt part of the rut and we are producing some great trophy deer. I like to see the "quality" of our deer hunting continue. If the deer population is "exploding" in Region 8 like Fisher Dude stated, why would you need even more time to harvest a deer....?
We have good deer density and easy access to most areas in the later part of the season due to our mild winters. Seems like a pretty good program to me.
How much is enough........
My thoughts anyway.

No Tag Soup Please
02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
I voted for the 'more 4 point and bigger' season. I think if we extended it a couple weeks it could be alot of fun. I would like to see the any buck closed though. Maybe open for 2 week in October or whenever really for youth.

frenchbar
02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I voted for the 'more 4 point and bigger' season. I think if we extended it a couple weeks it could be alot of fun. I would like to see the any buck closed though. Maybe open for 2 week in October or whenever really for youth.

close the any buck:confused: your kidding right...

frenchbar
02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
i voted more any buck season ...i would like to see 6 weeks instead of 4 with the extra 2 the second half of sept .

Ourea
02-23-2011, 04:28 PM

I agree with No Tag Soup on losing the "any buck" window in the season, ....... or at least restrict it such as youth only ........

frenchbar
02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
I agree with No Tag Soup on losing the "any buck" window in the season, ....... or at least restrict it such as youth only ........

so you would want it to be 4 pts or better all year....nothing like killing off a bunch of hunters with that scenario...lots of people would just say f--- it to hunting if that were to happen ..imo .

bighornbob
02-23-2011, 04:41 PM
so you would want it to be 4 pts or better all year....nothing like killing off a bunch of hunters with that scenario...lots of people would just say f--- it to hunting if that were to happen ..imo .

Yep, my 80 year old father would say whats the point in going out at all. He does not really start hunting until Oct. 1 (the any buck season).

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Yep, my 80 year old father would say whats the point in going out at all. He does not really start hunting until Oct. 1 (the any buck season).

BHB

My 75 yr old Dad would feel the same way.
All he ever wanted to shoot was a nice tender 2 pt.
In fact, he pretty much gave up hunting when the majority of the OK season was changed to 4 pt. It took a lot of convincing for him to get back into hunting.

SSS

Ourea
02-23-2011, 04:49 PM

Frenchbar - it's just my opinion on the matter when it comes to a general Mule deer season and it happens to differ from yours is all. I respect your position because you believe in it. Having said that I would support an "any buck" or a "doe" season but only under controlled allocation.

frenchbar
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Frenchbar - it's just my opinion on the matter when it comes to a general Mule deer season and it happens to differ from yours is all. I respect your position because you believe in it. Having said that I would support an "any buck" or a "doe" season but only under controlled allocation.

yup ..we all have are opinions ..no problem .

Elk-master
02-23-2011, 04:51 PM
That is exactly what most of the hunters do in region 8!!! It is perfect the way it is.. If anything i would eliminate the any buck season!!!
If you want to hunt late then learn how to shoot a bow!

GoatGuy
02-23-2011, 04:53 PM
Voted for more any buck.

Would like to see increased antlerless harvest in some areas to keep things productive.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2011, 04:53 PM

Ourea- You like to hold out for something good, no??
Any problem with less guys out hunting at the end of the season(already tagged-out) when it gets good??

SSS

Ourea
02-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Ourea- You like to hold out for something good, no??
Any problem with less guys out hunting at the end of the season(already tagged-out) when it gets good??

SSS

Steve, not looking to debate that one position is better than another's and I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion. If some people just want to kill a deer with as few restrictions as possible .......well good for them. I'm just happen not to be one them. I simply believe we are in a very envious position when it comes to our liberal general seasons compared to the rest of North America and I am thankful for it.

Fisher-Dude
02-23-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm a "the glass is half full" kind of guy. I personally feel very appreciative of the fact we have some of the most liberal general hunting seasons in North America. I for one am very content with our Mule Deer season in region 8 as sixty days is ample time to get a lot of quality hunting in. With a Nov 10th close we still have the opportunity to hunt part of the rut and we are producing some great trophy deer. I like to see the "quality" of our deer hunting continue. If the deer population is "exploding" in Region 8 like Fisher Dude stated, why would you need even more time to harvest a deer....?
We have good deer density and easy access to most areas in the later part of the season due to our mild winters. Seems like a pretty good program to me.
How much is enough........
My thoughts anyway.

So you'd rather see the deer herd exceed the carrying capacity of the winter range, have mass die offs when winter lingers, and keep as many people as possible from enjoying deer meat on their dinner tables (in reference to your "quality hunt" suggestion).

What biological reason can you give for canceling the any buck season, as it is proven that harvest across all ages classes produces a healthier herd and more large deer? Or do you just want to keep hunter numbers down?

Controlled allocation? You mean put mule deer on LEH? And in doing so, keep the number of hunters down?

Steve, not looking to debate that one position is better than another's and I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion. If some people just want to kill a deer with as few restrictions as possible .......well good for them. I'm just happen not to be one them. I simply believe we are in a very envious position when it comes to our liberal general seasons compared to the rest of North America and I am thankful for it.

You say this but then you want to cancel the season that 90% of hunters rely on to put meat on the table. Unless I'm missing something, it seems you want them to stay home by taking their season away.

dana
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Having hunted Region 3 for 2 decades now with the most liberal seasons in the province (Sept 1-Dec 10th), I fully appreciate being able to hunt the entire season. You see, I loving hunting. There are many years that I hunt my ass off from Opening day all the way through till the end and still eat tag soup on the evening of Dec 10th. Why? Because I love being out there hunting. Region 3 is the shinning example of great hunting opportunities and has proven if you harvest muleys across all age classes, you end up with a healthy deer population and happy hunters as well. And if hunting trophy muleys is your passion, Region 3 has proven what they are doing works well for producing some of the biggest and baddest bucks in the entire province on a yearly basis . :)

Fisher-Dude
02-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Having hunted Region 3 for 2 decades now with the most liberal seasons in the province (Sept 1-Dec 10th), I fully appreciate being able to hunt the entire season. You see, I loving hunting. There are many years that I hunt my ass off from Opening day all the way through till the end and still eat tag soup on the evening of Dec 10th. Why? Because I love being out there hunting. Region 3 is the shinning example of great hunting opportunities and has proven if you harvest muleys across all age classes, you end up with a healthy deer population and happy hunters as well. And if hunting trophy muleys is your passion, Region 3 has proven what they are doing works well for producing some of the biggest and baddest bucks in the entire province on a yearly basis . :)

Yep. I have yet to see Ourea post pictures of his group's success, but I've seen what Dana's guys pull from the longest, most liberal season in the province and the results are stunning bucks. I have to say that the region 3 model takes first place for opportunity, overall mule deer harvest numbers, and big bucks. Why would anyone want a lesser management regime?

Buckmeister
02-23-2011, 08:27 PM

Hear, hear! I love hunting too. I turned down a decent 4-point who was walking toward me unawares, cause I knew that if I let him go, I would have a chance at a bigger one. But the season is short and I couldn't get back there for that bigger one. I had my chance, but that's fine by me. Maybe next year.

If you want to hunt late then learn how to shoot a bow!

I've been saying for the last 2 years that I'm going to get a bow, but still haven't yet. Problem is, by the time the Nov25-Dec10 bow season opens, there is 4 feet of snow in there. I do hunt late, the rifle season in region 3 since I live on the border of 3 and 8. I really have no reason to complain cause I have easy access to some great hunting grounds in both regions, and some private property to boot.

If FD is right about population explosion, what about a larger bag limit for some regions?

Ourea
02-23-2011, 11:20 PM
So you'd rather see the deer herd exceed the carrying capacity of the winter range, have mass die offs when winter lingers, and keep as many people as possible from enjoying deer meat on their dinner tables (in reference to your "quality hunt" suggestion).

What biological reason can you give for canceling the any buck season, as it is proven that harvest across all ages classes produces a healthier herd and more large deer? Or do you just want to keep hunter numbers down?

Controlled allocation? You mean put mule deer on LEH? And in doing so, keep the number of hunters down?

You say this but then you want to cancel the season that 90% of hunters rely on to put meat on the table. Unless I'm missing something, it seems you want them to stay home by taking their season away.

Fisher Dude, ...... sorry but WTF? ...How do you take my view that has no motive or agenda and spin it out of control?? I shared the fact that we are so fortunate to have incredibly liberal general seasons and if we wish to take them to even further unprecidented levels that we merely have some control and moderate restrictions, like they do elsewhere in North America.... and you attack that????. Sorry chief, but I am a conservationist first and I am respectful of the opportunities our province affords us and feel they are more than adequate.
I am not supporting or suggesting taking people out of the field due to excessive restrictions. I respect every user groups opinion, but don't neccessarily have to agree with them.
I am not lobying the ignorant to support my view, ....I am not using this forum to beat my political drum..... I am not attacking anyone that doesn't support my sku'd perspective.
The poll asked what your thoughts are on Region 8 Mule deer seasons and I gave it. Take it for face value and get over it.

I have no issue with anyone that has a different opinion or view. And, I give nothing but respect to those that share opposing views from a position of humilty and respect to others.

I am not going to attack you Fisher Dude because you are a such an easy target with an obvious agenda. I do however respect the fact that you are passionate and are involved, I have to give you that.

Having said that, I wish to comment on ur statement that the Okanagan deer herd faces "massive die offs" due to carrying capicity issues and somehow my opinion would support such a catastrophy. WOW!... That came from left field ....This area boasts the mildest winters in non-coastal Canada, .....an area with minimal snow, .....an area who's ideal winter range habitat has been further augmented by fire..... an area that does not experience extreme enviromental swings. Seems like you are pretty good at manipulating facts and scenarios..... I find that you play with facts,...use fragments of data etc to support your agenda for longer seasons, higher harvets, less restrictions etc etc........ I have no issue about your agenda but how you go about it is ..... well, ...I will just leave it at that.
I don't take anything you say or your views personally, .....and I do find you to be interesting and entertaining to say the least.
Stay active and involved as you are quite the character.

The Dude
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
I hunt a few specific areas in Southern region 8. I know this is gonna sound controversial, but I'd like a THREE point or LESS hunt for all of November, or November 10-25 for two seasons. Certain places I hunt you rarely see any four points, as they get shot off in their third or fourth year, and the ones i do see are small, and I pass them up (got lots of video of bucks we passed up on that soemone else probably shot) but there's a gene pool of GIANT two's and three's that only turn up in the rut.
They ain't never gonna be fours unless they grow stickers, and I'd like to clean them out. And let me be clear about this: These are older bucks we see every year, and you generally don't see them outside of the rut period. Armchair biologists: have at 'er!
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/204950/popcorn.gif

GoatGuy
02-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I shared the fact that we are so fortunate to have incredibly liberal general seasons and if we wish to take them to even further unprecidented levels that we merely have some control and moderate restrictions, like they do elsewhere in North America...

In terms of harvest and management of wildlife our seasons are not liberal. Management in BC is in fact on the conservative side when we compare it to other jurisdictions across North America.

Control is a double-edged sword, on one end you have wildlife on the other you have the consumptive user. In BC we manage wildlife populations so that they're always 'stable-increasing', despite the fact their habitat is by and large dwindling or being destroyed. If we're to have healthy habitat and wildlife we need to manage both, not fool ourselves that if we don't harvest wildlife it will flourish. This is a typical sentiment, but it usually results in a lose lose for everything and everyone.

The difference between BC and other jurisdictions is that we have less than 100,000 licensed hunters - in other jurisdictions that number can be as high as 1,000,000+ in a state much smaller than BC.

It's funny, nobody's mentioned sustainability or conservation in this thread. :confused:

fowlweather
02-24-2011, 12:30 AM
make More Youth Seasons

Whonnock Boy
02-24-2011, 12:43 AM
make More Youth Seasons

No! Hunt smarter and harder. :wink:

Buckmeister
02-24-2011, 02:04 AM
make More Youth Seasons

I would be in support of Youth being able to take any deer (buck or doe, whitetail or mulie) right from Sept 1st to Dec 10th, anywhere in the province. And maybe do the same for, lets say, anyone over the age of 75. Well, maybe not the does during/after the rut.

One area I hunt in region three (a private tract about a mile square) used to be a hotbed overrun with mulies. I've heard reports from some old timers that about 15 years ago and further back, the mulies were so thick, you could count over 300 in one sitting. (I know the old guys like to stretch the truth, but the point is there was a lot of freakin deer). Today, there is still a decent mulie presence there, but the numbers are much lower. Last winter/spring I counted about 80 in one sitting on the best evening (I would usually see no more than 28). But why the drop in population? Disease? Not sure. Predation? Maybe, I have seen a fair number of the smaller preds (no wolves). Lack of food? NO. Lots of good food and a nice wintering ground. Overhunted? I doubt it. Yes, the hunter presence in significant, but not outrageous, and access is limited. The demographic of the deer population seems healthy as well, just lower numbers overall. Lots of 2's and 3 points around, but the big boys are there too, as witnessed by their rubs and sheds and the odd sighting.

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Having said that, I wish to comment on ur statement that the Okanagan deer herd faces "massive die offs" due to carrying capicity issues and somehow my opinion would support such a catastrophy. WOW!... That came from left field ....This area boasts the mildest winters in non-coastal Canada, .....an area with minimal snow, .....an area who's ideal winter range habitat has been further augmented by fire..... an area that does not experience extreme enviromental swings. Seems like you are pretty good at manipulating facts and scenarios..... I find that you play with facts,...use fragments of data etc to support your agenda for longer seasons, higher harvets, less restrictions etc etc........ I have no issue about your agenda but how you go about it is ..... well, ...I will just leave it at that.

I guess you've forgotten what happened in 1998 then?

A winter kill of a thriving mule deer herd that resulted in a shortening of seasons, implementation of antler restrictions, a 40% reduction in mule deer harvest in region 8, a 30% reduction in resident mule deer hunters in region 8, a 30% reduction in resident mule deer hunter days, and a 50% increase in days per kill.

How is that playing with the facts? Can you provide harvest and hunter statistics that indicate that winter kills do not happen and are actually good for resident mule deer hunters in BC?

Fishhound
02-24-2011, 08:24 AM
if the mule deer season is extended in region 8, the mule deer population will suffer as too many rutting areas are too close to the cities.
I have already seen rutting areas with as many hunters as deer during the season we have

coach
02-24-2011, 08:54 AM
if the mule deer season is extended in region 8, the mule deer population will suffer as too many rutting areas are too close to the cities.
I have already seen rutting areas with as many hunters as people during the season we have

:-? Huh? :confused:

bearhunter338-06
02-24-2011, 09:44 AM
I'd like to see a longer 4 pt season,not neccesarily as long as Region 3.Perhaps Dec 1st,even Nov.15th would be a bit better than the 10th.No one can tell me that there is any good reason that bucks in my area close Nov.10th while 15 miles away they stay open til Dec 10th.They are the same deer,seperated only by an imaginary line that regional managers drew up,and there are many less hunters around since they drew those lines..:confused: Gunner

:mrgreen: That's because 15 miles away they like use better, or maybe we are just special :mrgreen: Ether that or we just don't have the dear numbers you have lol

bearhunter338-06
02-24-2011, 09:48 AM
I hunt for meat so I voted for longer any buck and a doe season. Not that it would help me out, beginning to think I am a vegetarian, (Indian for bad hunter) or I just like hiking with weapons:twisted::mrgreen:

CanuckShooter
02-24-2011, 11:07 AM
I hunt for meat so I voted for longer any buck and a doe season. Not that it would help me out, beginning to think I am a vegetarian, (Indian for bad hunter) or I just like hiking with weapons:twisted::mrgreen:

Tip #1>> Quit hiking so much, find a game trail...sit down and watch....(old indian trick):mrgreen:

Elk-Aholic
02-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Yep. I have yet to see Ourea post pictures of his group's success, but I've seen what Dana's guys pull from the longest, most liberal season in the province and the results are stunning bucks. I have to say that the region 3 model takes first place for opportunity, overall mule deer harvest numbers, and big bucks. Why would anyone want a lesser management regime?

As you have said in the past FD, I didn't know this was about a John Holmes-swinging contest of someone's group success vs another person's group success? Remember FD, just because someone gives you his or her opinion and it's not what you want to hear, don't get pissed off at them for that. On a side note, last time I checked, did Dana kill all the bucks from Reg 3......lol.....better try again! Dana is obviously a good deer hunter and no matter what/where the season is, guys like him will always be successful as they put the time in before, during, and after a season to consistantly punch their tag on quality animals.

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Pretty clear from the results of the poll that ~75% of hunters want MORE mule deer opportunity in region 8. There's absolutely no science-based reason not to give them more opportunity. Opposition is purely social.

Elk-A, from what I've heard, you were sure thankful for the opportunities that the BCWF fought to get for you when you were a youth hunter, going out with your dad in youth season. You're older now and quite an accomplished hunter they tell me. Glad you were able to take advantage of those opportunities.

Therefore, I'm curious as to why your dad doesn't want to see the BCWF succeed in helping other new hunters with increased opportunity. His posts on here have been quite clear that he's not in favour of more opportunity. Have you spoken with him about this? What's your view on increasing opportunity when the science of deer management supports it?

GoatGuy
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
This can be said for most of southern BC.

I have already seen rutting areas with as many hunters as people during the season we have

Is it that the harvest wouldn't be sustainable or simply because there are too many hunters hunting?

Elk-Aholic
02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Elk-A, from what I've heard, you were sure thankful for the opportunities that the BCWF fought to get for you when you were a youth hunter, going out with your dad in youth season. You're older now and quite an accomplished hunter they tell me. Glad you were able to take advantage of those opportunities.

Therefore, I'm curious as to why your dad doesn't want to see the BCWF succeed in helping other new hunters with increased opportunity. His posts on here have been quite clear that he's not in favour of more opportunity. Have you spoken with him about this? What's your view on increasing opportunity when the science of deer management supports it?

Yes the youth season is great but are we really comparing apples to apples here? Or are we talking about new hunters or season veterans? I have spoken with the old guy but amazing how the power of the internet can be twisted however one wants....not worth waisting HBC'ers time on that topic.

I am all in favour of youth seasons, never have been against it. It was a great opportunity to get out and I have also returned the favour to other youths once I was of age to take them out. IMO, it sounds like the issue being raised about youth hunting seasons is the late-season hunts where little Johnny wasn't the one pulling the trigger on that big rutted-up mulie buck. I know these are isloated incidents but just like on the 5 o'clock news, you never hear about the good things in life, just the things that draw attention, create havoc, and cause turmoil.

For new hunters, should be any deer, buck or doe(where populations allow it of course). Or a tag that new hunters can purchase/get giving them the green light to harvest these animals. They should have the full opportunity to harvest an animal to help jump start them into hunting. But hunting is hunting, not shooting. So even with this, there will always be some people whinning about not punching their tags etc etc. The give-me-give-me, hand out, expecting that deer on a golden platter on their doorstep. The no work, no effort kind of people. That's why we call it hunting, sometimes we get lucky, other times we don't. If my tag isn't punched at the end of the season, I rethink my hunting tactics/strategies to try and figure out why I was unsuccess. Not blame others because that must have been the reason why I didn't punch a tag. AKA blame the season for my lack of success. Just looking outside the box.

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Good points Elk-A, and you're right that there's no way in hell to please everyone. But, I do believe we can create more opportunity with a big deer herd and currently a short, restrictive season.

I'm worried about getting another 1998 winter, and despite the Park fire, we're still losing winter range to ingrowth (and development) at an alarming rate everywhere else. I'd rather shoot 10% of the herd every year to keep the population from expanding faster than it already is, than see 60 - 70% become raven shit in one winter like last time.

What would you think of baby steps, like putting the 4 point season back to Nov 15, the date we had until 1998's winter kill?

fowlweather
02-24-2011, 10:34 PM
what about in region 3-32 i know that this thread has to do with reg. 8 and i would hate to jack it but:
i have yet to see a youth season there. thats where my dad takes me.
In my honest opinion as a youth hunter (probably the only one that hunts there)
i would really like to see a change up there. it doesnt make sense that it goes straight to 4 pt, i just want to shoot my first buck :)
I could be wrong but i still would want to see a change.

358mag
02-24-2011, 10:37 PM
No! Hunt smarter and harder. :wink:
Jezz why cant some people on this Chat line figure that out .
No lets blame the short seasons, small bag limits ,early season bowhunters:twisted: lets not forget about blaming the Guide-Outfitters too.
Its called hunting sports fans, not driving around it your truck-quad and shooting your deer.
Theres lots of nice deer out there < not based on any stats just a lot of foot work>but you have to go look for then .

fowlweather
02-24-2011, 10:39 PM
i could live with a change that elk aholic said, move the rut season to nov 15. there is a youth season there during that time but it is from NOV 1-10 Bucks for youth. i would like it to move to the 15th then everyone could get two weekends in. especially with school, its hard to get away on a friday go hunting all weekend and miss a monday, and try to catch up.

Fisher-Dude
02-24-2011, 10:42 PM
i could live with a change that elk aholic said, move the rut season to nov 15. there is a youth season there during that time but it is from NOV 1-10 Bucks for youth. i would like it to move to the 15th then everyone could get two weekends in. especially with school, its hard to get away on a friday go hunting all weekend and miss a monday, and try to catch up.

Nice to hear from a youth hunter looking to bag his first deer what he'd like to see. Good luck this season FW! :-D

GoatGuy
02-24-2011, 10:56 PM
No lets blame the short seasons, small bag limits ,early season bowhunters:twisted: lets not forget about blaming the Guide-Outfitters too.
Its called hunting sports fans, not driving around it your truck-quad and shooting your deer.
Theres lots of nice deer out there < not based on any stats just a lot of foot work>but you have to go look for then .

I think the diverging perceptions are a result of this.

Not everybody wants a 'nice deer' - most just want a deer. And to many (probably most) driving around and shooting deer is hunting.

kebes
02-24-2011, 11:00 PM

Some guys do find ways to blame everyone else for not being able to bag a deer (elk, moose, sheep, etc.) but that's not the point. The point is that if a restriction isn't needed it shouldn't be there. If the herd - in this case the muley's in region 8 - can support a longer season then do it; why put up restrictions that aren't needed?

GoatGuy
02-24-2011, 11:02 PM
Some guys do find ways to blame everyone else for not being able to bag a deer (elk, moose, sheep, etc.) but that's not the point. The point is that if a restriction isn't needed it shouldn't be there. If the herd - in this case the muley's in region 8 - can support a longer season then do it; why put up restrictions that aren't needed?

Little shot of common sense, very nice. :wink:

coach
02-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Great post, kebes!

BCrams
02-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I vote for more any buck with a doe harvest and extension to the season.

Having said that I would support an "any buck" or a "doe" season but only under controlled allocation.

I'm a "the glass is half full" kind of guy. I personally feel very appreciative of the fact we have some of the most liberal general hunting seasons in North America. I for one am very content with our Mule Deer season in region 8 as sixty days is ample time to get a lot of quality hunting in.

I like to see the "quality" of our deer hunting continue.

I don't know what to say regarding these 3 quotes other than you're another GO or guide wishing to limit resident hunters as much as possible for your gain.

I'm not trying to sway anyones opinion.

I simply believe we are in a very envious position when it comes to our liberal general seasons compared to the rest of North America and I am thankful for it.

Everyone is allowed an opinion, and it is one thing to have an opinion and another based on fact that points to allowing a more liberal season .... not a more restrictive one like you would want.

[quote=Ourea;864684]we are so fortunate to have incredibly liberal general seasons and if we wish to take them to even further I am not supporting or suggesting taking people out of the field due to excessive restrictions.

But you just said you support more restrictive seasons above. Which is it?

This area boasts the mildest winters in non-coastal Canada, .....an area with minimal snow, .....an area who's ideal winter range habitat has been further augmented by fire..... an area that does not experience extreme enviromental swings.

I have a pretty good memory too regarding the winter of '98 and its impact across BC. It can and will happen again.

Region 8 has a lot of room for improvement to increase and liberalize hunting opportunities for everyone across the board.

Thankful, very appreciative, very content 3 times within a thread .... Shit dude, did you hammer a giant buck or something?? I'd bet my dollar on it when you're praising the gods like that......

Region 8 has been producing - congratulations are in order if you got one :).

Speaking of big muleys and for those guys who 'choose' to hunt for big mule deer,

the Okanogan Region and in particular Okanogan Mountain Park is a hotbed right now for monster / trophy mule deer bucks due in part to the OK mtn fire. If there's any place fellows like myself and others would hunt, it would be OK Mountain area. As many know, the trophy potential is incredible.

The Point is........I love big bucks as much as the next dude, but I'm not one who pushes for restrictive seasons or would want to take opportunity away from others. I'll still choose to go hunt for big mule deer and some of us don't need those restrictions to be successful.

02-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Good points Elk-A, and you're right that there's no way in hell to please everyone. But, I do believe we can create more opportunity with a big deer herd and currently a short, restrictive season.

I'm worried about getting another 1998 winter, and despite the Park fire, we're still losing winter range to ingrowth (and development) at an alarming rate everywhere else. I'd rather shoot 10% of the herd every year to keep the population from expanding faster than it already is, than see 60 - 70% become raven shit in one winter like last time.

What would you think of baby steps, like putting the 4 point season back to Nov 15, the date we had until 1998's winter kill?

And 10% is still a modest harvest level compared to many other jurisdictions.

Ourea
02-25-2011, 12:06 PM
BC Rams, ...nope, I'm not a guide or an outfitter just a resident smuck like everyone else. I am not beating my drum for change nor lobbying for support. I stated what my opinion is and not in an adversarial or antagonistic manner. If the masses want a more liberal season, have at it ...... I'm not going to tear someone's head off everytime a person shares their opinion that's different to mine. It might be different if I was always trying to ram my views down peoples throats and that is certainly not the case, simply not my style.
My point was I respect the opportunites that BC affords us when it comes to hunting.
I just look an hour south of us in Washington State........ they have a 2 week mule deer rifle season with a 3 point minimum restriction................. and only a one week Elk season! What do BC residents think about that compared to our seasons?
I do a fare bit of Mule deer hunting very close to the border, I am sure those hunters south of the border look north with envy. Just sayin we got a pretty good thing going here in BC and I personally don't find too much to complain about.:-D

BCrams
02-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Nothing wrong with opinions ;)

Comparing BC to Washington isn't a great example and is like apples to oranges. Lets look at resident hunter population versus available landbase to hunt and populations? Then lets look at the local population with available habitat. If habitat isn't able to support increasing deer, then perhaps open it up more! If it is justified having a more liberal season with a harvest across all age classes (which would create better hunting for big bucks for guys like you and myself) why not!!

There's a difference in opinions based on social factors (i.e., want to hunt big bucks with fewer people, want 4 pt restrictions, remove the any buck seasons) without any science or facts to back it up .... versus opinions based on science which back up and defend why we can open things up ;)

That said, there's nothing wrong with having your opinion based on social viewpoints. But do expect someone to come on board and educate the readers at the same time with views based on science / fact.

BC Rams, ...nope, I'm not a guide or an outfitter just a resident smuck like everyone else. I am not beating my drum for change nor lobbying for support. I stated what my opinion is and not in an adversarial or antagonistic manner. If the masses want a more liberal season, have at it ...... I'm not going to tear someone's head off everytime a person shares their opinion that's different to mine. It might be different if I was always trying to ram my views down peoples throats and that is certainly not the case, simply not my style.
My point was I respect the opportunites that BC affords us when it comes to hunting.
I just look an hour south of us in Washington State........ they have a 2 week mule deer rifle season with a 3 point minimum restriction................. and only a one week Elk season! What do BC residents think about that compared to our seasons?
I do a fare bit of Mule deer hunting very close to the border, I am sure those hunters south of the border look north with envy. Just sayin we got a pretty good thing going here in BC and I personally don't find too much to complain about.:-D

GoatGuy
02-25-2011, 01:57 PM

They have 2 1/2 times the hunters and a land base that is 1/4 the size of BC, not to mention a lot of it isn't mule deer country.

They're buck:doe ratios are typically much lower than ours.

It's a very, very poor comparison.

Ourea
02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
Uhmm,.... their calender has the same amount of days on it as ours ..... a season is a season ....whether there's a 1000 animals or 100,000, ......if hunter success is 1% or 50%...... if 10% is harvested or 40%. I am not asking for anyone to drag this into a statistical debate and very much respect that their seasons are managed the way they are for very good reasons and is supported by strong data and STATISTICS to maintain the health of the various herds.

I make no reference to anything other than the fact we get to be in the field 6 weeks longer, (and even longer outside region 8) than our neighbors to the south. Doesn't take a statistician to see that. Where would you soooner be, ..... there or here?

GoatGuy
02-25-2011, 02:47 PM
Uhmm,.... their calender has the same amount of days on it as ours ..... a season is a season ....whether there's a 1000 animals or 100,000, ......if hunter success is 1% or 50%...... if 10% is harvested or 40%. I am not asking for anyone to drag this into a statistical debate and very much respect that their seasons are managed the way they are for very good reasons and is supported by strong data and STATISTICS to maintain the health of the various herds.

I make no reference to anything other than the fact we get to be in the field 6 weeks longer, (and even longer outside region 8) than our neighbors to the south. Doesn't take a statistician to see that. Where would you soooner be, ..... there or here?

Thought wildlife management was about sustainable harvest.

Does it not make sense to have a longer season so long as it's sustainable? More people get to experience the hunt.

hunter1947
02-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Why change the season from what it is now I say leave it the way it is all is doing good so why scr*w around with the GOS..

mark
02-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Why change the season from what it is now I say leave it the way it is all is doing good so why scr*w around with the GOS..

Newsflash Wayne......Mule deer are already GOS!

The thread talks about extending the seasons.

Id be in favor of baby steps....give us back the extra 5 days at the end!

SHAKER
02-27-2011, 09:21 AM
I'm into the baby step idea of keep'n it open a little longer at the end and youth stuff is always good!... When the dust settles your still only allowed 1 antlered Mule deer in reg.8 anyways, who cares if you want to take a tasty spiker out of the truck drive'n around on a nice afternoon in Oct? Or you burn your boot leather off till the very last day and take that 4 point that will grace your wall and you'll be think'n of when your lay'n on your death bed? Your only allowed 1 antlered Mule deer period!

250 sav
02-27-2011, 11:58 AM
I would like to see regions 3,4,5,& 8 have same seasons of as region 3 to spread the hunting preassure around. Going for hike and seeing more hunters than deer is B.S. There may be lots deer in a area but they become nauturnal with the hunting preassure and spend their days in really thick stuff thats next to impossible to hunt. Change the provincial bag limit for mule deer to 2. My.02

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I would like to see regions 3,4,5,& 8 have same seasons of as region 3 to spread the hunting preassure around. Going for hike and seeing more hunters than deer is B.S. There may be lots deer in a area but they become nauturnal with the hunting preassure and spend their days in really thick stuff thats next to impossible to hunt. Change the provincial bag limit for mule deer to 2. My.02

Is there a conservation issue that would require a change to a 2 MD bag limit?

GoatGuy
02-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Going for hike and seeing more hunters than deer is B.S.

Agreed, sounds like bs to me as well.

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Agreed, sounds like bs to me as well.

:lol::lol::lol:

hunter1947
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Newsflash Wayne......Mule deer are already GOS!

The thread talks about extending the seasons.

Id be in favor of baby steps....give us back the extra 5 days at the end!

I agree with you mark that extra 7 days at the end o f the season can get you mr big..

J_T
02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
Why doesn't region 3 have a late season bow hunt for bucks? 4pt or whatever.

boxhitch
02-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Reg 3 doesn't support special needs seasons, I guess.

dana
02-27-2011, 01:48 PM
Region 3 has over 3 months of bowhunting opportunity. Sept 1-Dec 10.

J_T
02-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Reg 3 doesn't support special needs seasons, I guess.

Region 3 has over 3 months of bowhunting opportunity. Sept 1-Dec 10.
Ease up boys. I didn't mean to strike a nerve. It's a bit naive to say it doesn't support special needs. Bowhunting is a legitimate hunting activity and can extend hunting opportunity in some cases where a GOS can not be implemented.

Are there any real answers to why there isn't possibly a late season bow hunt from Dec 11 - 20th?

dana
02-27-2011, 02:54 PM
My response was all in fun JT. I would say the reason why Region 3 doesn't have more exclusive bowhunting seasons is because the bowhunters themselves haven't asked for them. The late Dec 11-20th hunt is a great idea and if a group championed the idea, it probably would happen.

GoatGuy
02-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Why doesn't region 3 have a late season bow hunt for bucks? 4pt or whatever.

Ask Kirby, he's a bowhunter.

dana
02-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Kirby would be a great guy to rally the troops and champion the cause for a late Dec 11-20 hunt in Region 3.:-D

J_T
02-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Well, I know this thread is about mule deer and region 8 but region 3 could also use consideration for a standard bow only late season whitetail hunt to the 20th. In my opinion.

Back to Region 8. There is 15 days between the end of GOS and the start of bow only. Seems there's opportunity wasted. That 15 days should be allocated. I'll leave it to our wildlife biologists and their evidence to determine how (GOS, BOW a split of each), but as hunters we should be advocating for the consumption of it into a season.

Will
02-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Are there any real answers to why there isn't possibly a late season bow hunt from Dec 11 - 20th?
crossbow sales the weekend before the 11th would once again skyrocket.........:lol::lol::lol:

358mag
02-27-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm into the baby step idea of keep'n it open a little longer at the end and youth stuff is always good!... When the dust settles your still only allowed 1 antlered Mule deer in reg.8 anyways, who cares if you want to take a tasty spiker out of the truck drive'n around on a nice afternoon in Oct? Or you burn your boot leather off till the very last day and take that 4 point that will grace your wall and you'll be think'n of when your lay'n on your death bed? Your only allowed 1 antlered Mule deer period!
Yup very simple to figure that out, once you shoot and cut your Mulie tag in Region 8 dont bitch and complain :twisted:

SHAKER
02-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Yup very simple to figure that out, once you shoot and cut your Mulie tag in Region 8 dont bitch and complain :twisted:

Pretty simple.... when or IF you cut your deer tag your done! It's up to you when you choose to do so. I usually cut mine every other year, this is by choice not cuz of lack of deer. If you want a big one you wont' get it shoot'n the first one you see, but if you want to tag a tasty buck for the freezer then do as you wish. Trophy management regulations, stock piling wildlife and the "not in my back yard" attitudes will be the death of resident hunters unless their's a real concervation concern to warrant otherwise.

358mag
02-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Pretty simple.... when or IF you cut your deer tag your done! It's up to you when you choose to do so. I usually cut mine every other year, this is by choice not cuz of lack of deer. If you want a big one you wont' get it shoot'n the first one you see, but if you want to tag a tasty buck for the freezer then do as you wish. Trophy management regulations, stock piling wildlife and the "not in my back yard" attitudes will be the death of resident hunters unless their's a real concervation concern to warrant otherwise.
Amen to your statement bet someone on line going to rip you a new a*s hole hang on and enjoy the ride !!!:-D

SHAKER
02-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Amen to your statement bet someone on line going to rip you a new a*s hole hang on and enjoy the ride !!!:-D

If someone has something better to say against it then I'm all ears to hear it with an open mind. I don't see where theirs anything to really argue about UNLESS their is a "legitament" concervation concern to prove otherwise. If we're not hurt'n the population then lets hunt them, who cares if the kid from Vancouver in the early youth season, the lucky cross bow guy in the late season or the average joe out for a drive with the wife in Oct. gett'n a load of firewood and gets lucky on that dumb spike'r. The bottom line is we hunt them for food and we're allowed 1.

Fisher-Dude
02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
Basic reason, no bow hunters in region 3 so no pressure on the bio's to do it. And the few bow hunters that I know that are involved all figure its better to give a few days to everybody than a bunch of days to a few so the pressure is for more GOS than archery seasons.

Kirby

What a novel concept.

GoatGuy
02-27-2011, 10:17 PM
If someone has something better to say against it then I'm all ears to hear it with an open mind. I don't see where theirs anything to really argue about UNLESS their is a "legitament" concervation concern to prove otherwise. If we're not hurt'n the population then lets hunt them, who cares if the kid from Vancouver in the early youth season, the lucky cross bow guy in the late season or the average joe out for a drive with the wife in Oct. gett'n a load of firewood and gets lucky on that dumb spike'r. The bottom line is we hunt them for food and we're allowed 1.

Two good posts and they're all on one page - nice to see! :wink:

Thumbs up!

boxhitch
02-27-2011, 10:29 PM
Shaker hit the nail again. No reason for restrictive seasons. No one is asking for a second MD tag.
A few extra days in Nov close to home would be handy for us late season hunters. In stead we have to cross-border-shop in reg3.

J_T
02-28-2011, 05:35 AM
Basic reason, no bow hunters in region 3 so no pressure on the bio's to do it. And the few bow hunters that I know that are involved all figure its better to give a few days to everybody than a bunch of days to a few so the pressure is for more GOS than archery seasons.

Kirby
Well, you guys decide how and when you want to hunt, however what I think your saying is you don't want to hunt from Dec 10th to 20th. So keep it closed. It's up to you.

I don't see it as about 'bowhunters' it's about 'hunters' seeking more opportunity to hunt. Perhaps the reason you don't have many bowhunters is because there is little opportunity to be pursued with a bow.

And just to be clear, a bow season is open to everyone, no different than a GOS. In fact I would say it's open to more people due to less regulation to own a bow.

hunter1947
02-28-2011, 05:52 AM
I myself don't want to see rifle season overlap the late bow season the late bow season is a blessing not to have to worry about pressher from rifle hunters.
It would be ok if they the management exstended the late season hunt in some regions for rifle but make sure we the bow hunters still have our time to hunt with the bows without the pressher of rifle hunting..

J_T
02-28-2011, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't oppose a Dec 10-20th archery season in fact I've discussed it several times. However I'd rather see reg 3, 4 and 8 open up the rifle seasons longer and say either sex WT GOS Dec 1- Dec 20th. I just don't see a reason to push for what I figure is a compromise. The deer could handle the extended season, allows more opportunity so if/when I push for seasons that's what I push for.

My biggest fear of archery seasons is that bow hunters aren't willing to let them go for more opportunity. Reg 8 and 5 are both prime examples the late archery season for mule deer could easily be converted to rifles to allow more hunters access but bow hunters scream bloody murder when they loose "their" seasons.

That's one of the biggest reasons I won't push for specialty seasons.

Kirby I guess I'm just identifying that you don't have any opportunity Dec 10 - 20. If you're getting push back on your GOS proposal, then why not pursue a bowhunting proposal? At least you're creating opportunity.

From my observations, the late Nov and December seasons are a risk if you're proposing GOS. No, I don't have data. But I see how reasonable a road hunter could take mule deer and WT at that time. I can understand why some hunters will push back.

358mag
02-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Shaker hit the nail again. No reason for restrictive seasons. No one is asking for a second MD tag.
A few extra days in Nov close to home would be handy for us late season hunters. In stead we have to cross-border-shop in reg3.
Maybe you need a better guide :-D

open-sights
02-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Muzzleloader season to run partially in archery seasons

coach
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
Well, you guys decide how and when you want to hunt, however what I think your saying is you don't want to hunt from Dec 10th to 20th. So keep it closed. It's up to you.

I don't see it as about 'bowhunters' it's about 'hunters' seeking more opportunity to hunt. Perhaps the reason you don't have many bowhunters is because there is little opportunity to be pursued with a bow.

And just to be clear, a bow season is open to everyone, no different than a GOS. In fact I would say it's open to more people due to less regulation to own a bow.

Your right we don't have that opportunity, and I'll admit this year I went to the kootenays to enjoy that opportunity and loved every minute of it:grin:(well ok not every minute, it was damn cold:wink:), I would pursue the bowhunting proposal if there was a biological reason for it. We can easily sustain another 10 days of GOS on bucks and could easily sustain another 20 days on wt does. This is not different from the Okanagan or the Kootenays.

I see the current bowhunting only seasons as a deterent to openning up a more liberal GOS as when it's proposed (to convert Archery to GOS) the bowhunters scream about loosing their archery only seasons. All 3 areas(3, 4 and 8,) could easily sustain a longer GOS and most of the areas could use a higher harvest rate on wt's, but to convert a Bow season to GOS... not so easy. Again these are the reasons I choose to push for more days for a GOS and not for archery season.

If we open a 10 day archery season it'll be next to impossible to open that up for Rifles down the road, so I'd rather push for 5 years and then get the opportunity for everyone than to have a bow season next year and never have the opportunity for rifle hunters.

Now don't get me wrong, the enjoyment of archery only seasons is way up there in my books, however I cannot in good concience push for me to have a higher "quality" hunt at the cost of a sustainable GOS.

Kirby

Great discussion, Kirby and JT. I enjoy both rifle and bow hunting. This year, I took advantage of the extended archery WT season in Region 8 and killed my third deer of the season on December 20th. (The others were rifle kills, an October MD in region 3 and a November MD in region 4) It's difficult to separate the desire to see extended bow only seasons from the logic in Kirby's last statement. Game management/hunter opportunities should really be about the sustainability of the animal population and not about one method over another. It's unfortunate that a late season bow opportunity can't be pushed for because of fear that bow hunters would be unwilling one day share that season if it proves to be sustainable for GOS.

As for the discussion this thread was originally about - chalk me up as a guy who would like to see an extra five days of 4 point season in November that would at least align our region 8 closing date with that of region 4. If a longer season is sustainable, perhaps we can push to one day have our season match Region 3.