PDA

View Full Version : Psoroptic Mange in California Bighorns

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 06:50 PM
WILDLIFE HEALTH FACT SHEET
"MANGE" IN CALIFORNIA BIGHORN SHEEP
This fact sheet gives an overview of a newly recognized health issue of wild sheep in the Similkameen Valley of southern British Columbia. The condition is known as Psoroptic mange, Psoroptic scabies or Psoroptes infestation. Since it was only recently diagnosed there is very little known about the disease in BC. We are hoping to fill in some of these blanks over the next few months and years.
What causes it?
Mange is a general term for a skin disease caused by tiny mites. Mites called Psoroptes ("sore-op-tees) live in the ears and on the bodies of a variety of animals. In some locations and in some animals a severe disease occurs where animals develop heavy crusts in and around their ears and over their bodies, lose hair and body condition and may die. The disease is considered an animal welfare issue due to the intense pain and irritation caused by the mites.
Where is it?
Psoroptes mites occur worldwide but are considered uncommon in domestic sheep and cattle since it is easily controlled with injectable wormers. Psoroptic mange was eradicated from Canadian domestic sheep in 1924. The skin disease in bighorn sheep is believed to be at least partly responsible for historic declines in bighorns in the western US in the late 1800's and early 1900's. It is still present, to varying degrees, in some US bighorn populations but has never been reported in Canada before.
The Psoroptes mite:
 Psoroptes mites live and feed on the skin surface and are highly contagious.
 All stages - eggs, larvae, nymphs and adults are on a single animal.
 Under favourable environmental conditions, the life cycle - from the egg to adult stage - is 11 - 19 days. A single female can start an infestation.
 Mites are transmitted by contact between animals or with materials with mites on them, such as fencing or feeders. They can survive in the environment for a month, or longer if it is cool.
 After contact, infested animals usually show symptoms within a month, however, some animals carry them in their ears with no obvious signs.
 Mite populations are generally lower in the spring and summer with increases in the fall/winter.
 The source of the mites cannot be determined from examining mites alone as they are not host specific - mites from rabbits, mule deer and bighorns all look the same. All types of these mites should be assumed to be infectious to most wild and domestic ungulates.
Psoroptes mites
Photo - http://nz.merial.com/farmers/sheep/disease/psoroptes
What does mange look like and what does it do to the sheep and the herd?
 In individual sheep:
o Mild cases or early stages of the disease are usually seen on the ears/shoulders/neck with yellowish, scaly crusts that may spread with time to more of the body. The hair falls out and the skin thickens and darkens.
o The animal is very itchy and will damage its skin by scratching, rubbing and biting, often causing secondary bacterial infections.
o Decreased appetite, weight loss, anemia and emaciation can occur in animals with severe skin lesions. It isn’t known why some animals develop severe disease but it may be a result of poor immune systems or the presence of other health issues.
o Adult sheep can regrow hair and recover with time, but may continue to carry mites in their ears. Such "carrier" animals may or may not show signs associated with the mites such as ear rubbing or head shaking.
Affected ram at Ollala, February, 2011
Photo - Ken Sward
 In the herd:
o The reaction to mites in a bighorn herd can vary from no signs at all (a few mites in the ears) to massive fatal infections, although most animals in a herd are likely infested.
o A number of US herds have infestations with occasional animals exhibiting moderate to severe ear infections. This has not been seen before in Canadian bighorns.
How do you know what it is?
Other skin diseases reported in bighorn sheep include mange caused by other mites, lice or tick infestations, toxicities, viral diseases or even trauma. Photographs of affected animals and samples collected in alcohol from live or dead animals with confirmation by a laboratory experienced with mite identification is necessary for proof of Psoroptes mites. Psoroptes mites were confirmed in one ram near Ollala, BC in February, 2011(see photo).

contd...

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Can you control or treat affected animals?
Captive or domestic animals are quarantined and treated with specific doses of injectable drugs. However, all animals must be treated, in some cases more than once, to eliminate the mites. If not, the untreated sheep will reinfest the herd. Attempts to eliminate the mites from wild sheep populations have not been successful to date. One herd of desert bighorns in New Mexico declined from over 200 to one affected ewe, at least partly due to mange in the 1990's. A number of bighorn populations in the US "live" with the condition and may have ongoing health problems with poor haircoats and potential poor hearing from ear crusts.
What is the risk to other animals and humans?
Psoroptes mites can spread to other bighorn herds and potentially to other wild and domestic ungulates (hoofed animals) that are in close contact. We do not understand the exact risk in a BC setting, however, do know that the mites are not contagious to humans.
What now? – Implications to other Okanagan wild sheep
We do not know how this disease came to the south Okanagan bighorns and hope to learn this and other facts by starting a research project. The experience and expertise of others will be called on for discussions about Psoroptic mange so that this information and related research can help determine what management actions should or can be considered.
For more background information about the disease in US bighorns see:
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/content/full/41/3/525
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/26/4/554.pdf
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/19/4/342.pdf
http://www.jwildlifedis.org/cgi/reprint/16/1/77.pdf
We appreciate the Ollala and area outdoorsmen for reporting this ram’s condition and assisting with sampling. Residents of the south Okanagan and Similkameen should continue to report any sightings of abnormalities in wildlife and the location of the sighting to the Ministry Wildlife Veterinarian or Regional Wildlife Biologists.
February 21, 2011
Dr. Helen Schwantje
Wildlife Veterinarian
helen.schwantje@gov.bc.ca
Wildlife Health website: http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/wldhealth.html

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 06:57 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/mange1.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/mange2.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/Fisher-Dude/mange3.jpg

Stone Sheep Steve
02-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Hope the domestic sheep owner in the area feels good:(.

Let's hope it's a wake-up call to all the other owners of domestics in the area.

SSS

RJ
02-22-2011, 07:01 PM
What a horrible way to go. Was it shot to put it out of its misery?

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 07:08 PM
What a horrible way to go. Was it shot to put it out of its misery?

It was shot to send it to the lab to see what was causing this. I get itchy just looking at that poor animal.

http://nz.merial.com/disease_information/sheep/imagefolder/psoroptes4.jpg

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Could transmit like fire in such a herd animal.

Thanks for all the info and pics.

Slinky Pickle
02-22-2011, 07:12 PM
Hope the domestic sheep owner in the area feels good:(.

SSS

"Psoroptes mites occur worldwide but are considered uncommon in domestic sheep and cattle since it is easily controlled with injectable wormers. Psoroptic mange was eradicated from Canadian domestic sheep in 1924."

Is there any proof that this outbreak comes from domestic sheep? Let's see some facts before we lynch the farmers.

Fisher-Dude
02-22-2011, 07:29 PM
It's still prevalent in domestic animals in Canada, including goats and horses.

Slinky Pickle
02-22-2011, 07:42 PM
http://www.cfsph.iastate.edu/Factsheets/pdfs/psoroptes_ovis.pdf

Gotta love the internet. There's just so much conflicting data. I have no idea whether it is or isn't coming from a domestic source but it's just interesting digging into this stuff.

Species Affected
Sheep scab is a disease of domesticated sheep (Ovis aries). Bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis) are also susceptible.
Before species distinctions were abandoned, P. ovis had also been reported on some other species including cattle, horses, giraffes, goats and camelids. The relationships between these mites are uncertain; however, the P. ovis mites found on hosts other than sheep do not seem to be able to cause sheep scab. Although Psoroptes spp. mites have been successfully transferred between hosts in some experimental studies, other studies suggest that P. ovis from cattle does not survive on sheep, and P. ovis from sheep does not survive on cattle. Many countries have reported these mites on only one species and not the other. In the U.K., where sheep scab is endemic, neither the disease nor the mites appear to be transmitted from sheep to cattle or goats.

Geographic Distribution
Sheep scab has been eradicated from Australia, New Zealand, Scandinavia, the U.S. and Canada, but it can still be found in many other countries. The species Psoroptes ovis occurs worldwide, even in countries where sheep scab does not occur.
In the U.S., severe psoroptic mange of the body was reported in one wild bighorn sheep population in 1978, but it seems to have disappeared by 1997.

boothcreek
02-22-2011, 07:45 PM
"Psoroptes mites occur worldwide but are considered uncommon in domestic sheep and cattle since it is easily controlled with injectable wormers. Psoroptic mange was eradicated from Canadian domestic sheep in 1924."

Is there any proof that this outbreak comes from domestic sheep? Let's see some facts before we lynch the farmers.

Agree, being a breeder of Mouflon which are as susceptible to domestic diseases like north american wild sheep I keep a close eye on any disease crisis in domestics in Canada. The mange was indeed whiped out in domestics and since any imports have to be rigorously healthtested before entering the country the mange did not get to these sheep from domestics.

Wild Sheep are known to carry these mites, and some populations probably have build up some resistance to the mange. But if one of those resistant animals migrates anywhere near the area of an untouched herd its disaster. For all we know it could have hitched a ride on elk or deer migrating across the line.

Deaddog
02-22-2011, 08:43 PM
does not look like the major factor here is mixing with domestics, that said anyone observing domestic sheep mixing with wild should report it asap to the conservation service as the possibility of passing on a pnemoniau like disease is there and has been proven to be a risk to wild sheep, look to the US die off the past couple of years for what we may be facing in BC if we continue to have multiple places where domestics and wild sheep interface..DD

Jagermeister
02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Makes me wonder if the Similkameen bighorns could have been contaminated by llamas or alpacas. These animals are also prone to the same infestations and could be the source of contamination if they have been used by the eco-tourist operators for packing supplies into the Cathederal Park area. There may be llama and alpaca used south of the border in the northern part of the Cascades of Washington State and maybe there are some llama/alpaca herd operators in the Similkameen valley too. That would be my guess.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-22-2011, 09:21 PM
There were domestics within a couple hundred yrds of these wild sheep.
While this outbreak "might" not be from the domestic stock, there's no way domestics should be that close to wild sheep....without double fencing in place to prevent contact.

The sheep will be lucky if it's limited to these ~15 individuals.

As I said...I hope it's a wake-up call to the domestic farmers:neutral:.

SSS

bighornbob
02-23-2011, 09:32 AM
There were domestics within a couple hundred yrds of these wild sheep.
While this outbreak "might" not be from the domestic stock, there's no way domestics should be that close to wild sheep....without double fencing in place to prevent contact.

The sheep will be lucky if it's limited to these ~15 individuals.

As I said...I hope it's a wake-up call to the domestic farmers:neutral:.

SSS

Maybe we can use this as a warning for the sheep farmers. Some obviuosly dont care that their domestic sheep can pass diseases to wild sheep. Maybe they will keep the domestics away from the wild sheep if they think the wild sheep can pass the mites to their domestic sheep.

Hey maybe even a phone call to Agriculture Canada to let them know there are domestics in the area of the mangy bighorn sheep:mrgreen: Hell I am sure Ag. Canada would have the domestics out of the area way faster then the MOE can get it done:-D

BHB

Stone Sheep Steve
02-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Maybe we can use this as a warning for the sheep farmers. Some obviuosly dont care that their domestic sheep can pass diseases to wild sheep. Maybe they will keep the domestics away from the wild sheep if they think the wild sheep can pass the mites to their domestic sheep.

Hey maybe even a phone call to Agriculture Canada to let them know there are domestics in the area of the mangy bighorn sheep:mrgreen: Hell I am sure Ag. Canada would have the domestics out of the area way faster then the MOE can get it done:-D

BHB

Sadly there are ~15 herds of domestics within close proximitry to wild sheep populations in the Okanagan:(.
While they do all they can to educated the farmers, MOE has no teeth in this area ....as far as legislation goes.
Continuously digging into pockets to double fence these farms gets expensive.

SSS

bighornbob
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Continuously digging into pockets to double fence these farms gets expensive.

SSS

You dont have to tell me, thats why we should try the Ag. Canada trump card.:)

BHB

SHAKER
01-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Sorry to bring this back up but, Brian Harris (reg. Bio), my dad and myself had to put another one down today with the exact same thing as last year. This poor little Ram was bedded under the same tree as the one a year ago and I was told to promptly put it down by Brian. Sad sight to see and is not over within our herd by no means.

Devilbear
01-31-2012, 06:55 PM
WHY are "range maggots" even allowed on Bighorn range, this is an outrage and must be stopped, forthwith. This, reminds me of the '60s, when the RM Bighorn range in the EK was so degraded by private cattle and then the RMBs got pneumonia and with such poor habitat, there was a huge die-off. Typical BC environmental mis-management!

Fisher-Dude
01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
Sorry to bring this back up but, Brian Harris (reg. Bio), my dad and myself had to put another one down today with the exact same thing as last year. This poor little Ram was bedded under the same tree as the one a year ago and I was told to promptly put it down by Brian. Sad sight to see and is not over within our herd by no means.

That sucks. I was hoping no news was good news on this outbreak.

Snowpatrol
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM

Thats too bad. Anything we can do to help things out down there...Please send me a PM

Stone Sheep Steve
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Not good.
Let's hope it stays to only a couple of inviduals.

SSS

SHAKER
01-31-2012, 09:04 PM
I've only seen a these two little Rams with it case real bad but have seen droopy ears on about 25% of the sheep this fall\winter. I don't know what we can do about it, some herds in the states have it and live fine others get wiped out. Sucks but it is the way it is........ My camera is down since my little guy used it as a bowling ball so I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-01-2012, 10:11 AM
I've only seen a these two little Rams with it case real bad but have seen droopy ears on about 25% of the sheep this fall\winter. I don't know what we can do about it, some herds in the states have it and live fine others get wiped out. Sucks but it is the way it is........ My camera is down since my little guy used it as a bowling ball so I'll get pics as soon as I can.

Is it limited to one side of the river or both sides?

SHAKER
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
North and south sides, both sides of the Ashnola.

91Jason91
02-01-2012, 04:34 PM
thats horrible hopefully its just a semmi small time thing and doesnt wipe out a shit load

.300WSMImpact!
02-01-2012, 04:35 PM
In kelowna a few years back some wild sheep came down into town to hang around some farm sheep, the result was the co's killing all the wild sheep off to not spread any disease to the wild herds