PDA

View Full Version : Great White Shark caught off of ucluelet

Bucks&Ducks
02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
I just recieved this as an email. Does anyone know the authenticity of this or is it just one of those emails that has been baking the rounds for a few years.

So much for swimming in the Ocean around here!!!!UCLUELET, B.C.
While the ocean vessel 'DawnRaider' was commercial fishing for dogfish, this Great White was hooked inThe mouth but only resisted slightly for 15 minutes before it came up alongside the boat to have a look; long enough for one of the crew membersto slip a rope around it's tail !!!
'And that's when the s**t hit the fan!!.
The Shark took off towing the 42 foot fishing boat backwards through the water at about 7 Knots. Just like in JAWS, the boat was taking on waterover the stern and the crew watched
in horror as the shark would actually jump completely out of the water at times. This went on for an hour beforethe shark finally drowned.
She weighed in at 1035 LBS. It is suspected she followed a weak El NinoCurrent into local waters in search of food.
Although mid 60 deg. Water isconsidered ideal for these sharks, the larger ones can tolerate water in thelow 50s.

it came with pics but they couldnt be saved to my computer. You can find them on google images if you search "shark in ucluelet"

sugar
02-22-2011, 12:40 PM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/yarmouth.asp

Ruger4
02-22-2011, 12:44 PM
the lift hoisting the shark has a 902 area code , Nova Scotia

02-22-2011, 12:49 PM
You know the funny thing. The "Dawn Raider" Is a local troller. When i trolled we fished in the same group. And they probably do dog fish now.

I knew it was a fake from the start. I lived in Ukee for 12 years and if something like this happened for real i'd have been told

RJ
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
There are 6 gill sharks around our waters. I've never seen one diving but I've heard of a few sightings. There used to be a fishery for them and almost wiped them out. I dove with sharks in Australia and was one of the coolest experiences in my life, highly recommend it!

There haven't been any white sharks caught, but there is some evidence to suggest they might come around from time to time :shock:
http://bcsharkreports.blogspot.com/

LukaTisus
02-22-2011, 12:59 PM
It's not even a great white.. lol. This shark's gonna turn into the next "Saddle-Hills grizzly" you watch. Next thing you know, people'll be trying to say they caught it in the Okanogan or somethin'.

Mind you, the possibility of hooking a Great White IS plausible.. just not at this time of year.

ratherbefishin
02-22-2011, 01:43 PM
we caught a 6 gilled shark off Jordan River, fishing for halibut.Big fella, but one look at the teeth and we cut the line...

Trapper D
02-22-2011, 01:57 PM
they come in these waters, japanese current sometimes brings them in close. ive caught lots of blue sharks offshore on the west coast, we would clean the salmon while trolling, and the bilge pumping out all the blood and guts at the side of the boat , would draw them in to it. they would swim sideways ,biting at the crap we were pumping out. once we kept one cause my dad was going to have it stuffed. it was a seven footer, awsome blue color to it. when we came in to steveston , he had called ahead , to the taxis, and at the time 30yrs ago, they wanted 5 bucks and inch. over the boat she went. i almost cried. this was when jaws was popular.

Shooter
02-22-2011, 06:38 PM
They just pulled a six gill out of the alberni canal last week. I will try to find the clipping of that one. It was already dead and was craned out of the water at the Coulson mill site.

Shooter
02-22-2011, 06:41 PM
here it is.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_central/albernivalleynews/news/116135139.html?mobile=true

Island Redneck
02-22-2011, 06:47 PM
They just pulled a six gill out of the alberni canal last week. I will try to find the clipping of that one. It was already dead and was craned out of the water at the Coulson mill site.

http://www2.canada.com/albernivalley...f-2c9e407ba5ff (http://www2.canada.com/albernivalley...f-2c9e407ba5ff)

:picture from Alberni.ca forum
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/180496_10150143072972534_646212533_8443865_5351021 _n.jpg

TPB
02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
the lift hoisting the shark has a 902 area code , Nova Scotia

Halifax Equipment - (902) 481-3455 - Dartmouth, NS B3B 2B1 (http://www.ibegin.com/directory/ca/nova-scotia/dartmouth/halifax-equipment-185-akerley-blvd/)

Straight from google, kind of ironic the hoist is a certain type of equipment, good eyes.

deer nut
02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Bogus. Same photos went around the net over 5 years ago. Doesn't mean the odd great white doesn't show up in our waters with El Nino and all....

RustyRipper
02-22-2011, 10:13 PM
Great whites have shown up 'round these parts for longer than we've known about. I've seen one on the west side of the charlottes when I was kid (and yes I know very well the differences between a white and a salmon shark) I have heard lots of sightings and in the past there have been dead white sharks that have washed up on beaches (they follow warm currents up here and when it runs out and it gets too cold, they conserve energy and starve). I even have a great big book called pacific fishes that was printed in the 60s that states the white shark's range in north america being from southern california to the queen charlotte islands. Why we don't see them anymore I don't know, the water hasn't been as warm as it used to be up here (so much for global warming), we used to see sea turtles off the west coast of vancouver island and occasionally in the charlottes and I haven't seen one in years. That email was certainly a hoax, real shark by the looks of it but definitely not here.

Sleep Robber
02-22-2011, 10:39 PM
As a commercial fisherman involved in many fisheries, I have come across mako's , hammerheads, sleeper sharks, blue sharks etc etc, all off the west coast of VI and the Charlottes, some years they are closer into shore than other years, but they are here. As for the Sea Turtles, yes we use to see them all the time of VI while fishing the hake consortium, but I have not seen one in quite some time now. Sleeper sharks are a pain in the ass at times when I was halibut fishing on charter in Alaska {Prince William Sound}, they'd get snarled up in the ground line all the time and can make for a long day, if your being courteous and not chopping tails :mrgreen:

A friend of mine back in 1985 {was on my football team}who was a charter guide out of Victoria had a client who caught a 12 foot great white just outside Race Rocks, it was in the Times Colonist. I know for a fact that they have also closed Long Beach to surfers and swimmers in the past due to shark sightings, I think this was about 10 years ago, but I don't know how long they kept it closed for.

Beware, JAWS does swim in our waters :wink: :twisted:

Shooter
02-22-2011, 11:08 PM
The first link and story that this thread is about may very well be a hoax however the story I put up about the Six Gill is very much true. I too used to commercial fish years ago and I was lucky enough to spot a large Sea Turtle halfway between VI and the Charlottes. It was pretty cool. I was on a wheel turn and thought it was a deadhead at first.

Trapper D
02-22-2011, 11:15 PM
The first link and story that this thread is about may very well be a hoax however the story I put up about the Six Gill is very much true. I too used to commercial fish years ago and I was lucky enough to spot a large Sea Turtle halfway between VI and the Charlottes. It was pretty cool. I was on a wheel turn and thought it was a deadhead at first.
same here spent months out there, saw , turtles, sharks, sunfish, tuna, etc

Shooter
02-22-2011, 11:21 PM
same here spent months out there, saw , turtles, sharks, sunfish, tuna, etc

Ya tough times and long days out there however the sights and memories that fishermen have is something that most people can only dream about.

LukaTisus
02-23-2011, 01:19 AM
It isn't a hoax, so much as someone trying to lay claim to a story that isn't theirs.. That shark in the story was caught off the coast of Nova Scotia in '04 and it's not a great white, it's a mako.

Hence why I said this story was becoming the next "Saddle Hills Grizz" tall tale. :P

MB_Boy
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
It isn't a hoax, so much as someone trying to lay claim to a story that isn't theirs.. That shark in the story was caught off the coast of Nova Scotia in '04 and it's not a great white, it's a mako.

Hence why I said this story was becoming the next "Saddle Hills Grizz" tall tale. :P

I think the "Alberni Great White" was definitely breaking the trail for hoax's. That e-mail has been around for years.....longer than the Saddle Hills Grizz or the pic of the guy from Alaska with the massive Grizz that had tons of twists on the story including it eating his partner or something like that. :wink: :tongue:

BradB
02-23-2011, 12:05 PM
I've seen Humboldt squid come up in the trawl off of Ukee...can't see why a Great White wouldn't be able to swim around up here. I know they've been caught off Newfoundland and that's colder water than off VI.

Gr8 white hunter
02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
a guy at work told me he saw one just off Sooke this past summer.He almost crapped his pants

IronNoggin
02-23-2011, 03:02 PM
Beware, JAWS does swim in our waters :wink: :twisted:

Yup, that they do!
About 8 years ago one of my Buddies from Alberta was down fishing at Blood Bay for incoming springs. he was a very frequent visitor to our coast, with a lot of years (decades) of experience here. Yet I seriously questioned his sanity when he ran back into town extremely excited telling any that would listen about having seen a "Pointer" (aka Great White) off Blood Bay that morning. Impossible was my response...

Two days later three Piled Higher and Deeper types out of the Bamfield Research Center worked their way over to the area of Blood Bay with the intent of continuing their diving operations for inventory purposes. As they were suiting up, one of them caught the large triangular fin of a shark slicing through the surface a little ways off. They hauled anchor and motored over to investigate. What they encountered surprised them beyond belief, for there, in all its' glory was a Great White approaching 15 feet in length! These three "Men of Science" knew well what they were looking at, immediately discarded their dive suits, and took a series of photographs before running back to the research center to spread the news.

Upon hearing that news I was both amazed and humbled. Amazed in that I would have never thought it was possible. Humbled as I now had to go - hat in hand - and apologize to my good Friend for ridiculing him for what he had indeed witnessed. :???:

So yup, although damn infrequent, they do occasionally wander through here...

Cheers,
Nog

Sleep Robber
02-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I've seen Humboldt squid come up in the trawl off of Ukee...can't see why a Great White wouldn't be able to swim around up here. I know they've been caught off Newfoundland and that's colder water than off VI.

I've caught many a Humbolt Squid in trawls while Trawling off the West coast of VI. In 2007 we were on a Communication Cable Retrieval Charter {out of Port Alberni}and at night while adrift we would see huge schools of them coming close to the surface, as we had the big sodium flood lights on. Ive actually caught one by mistake while buzz bombing just off the Finger Bank, thought I had a monster chinnook on :mrgreen: {DOH!!}