PDA

View Full Version : Elk.....CLOSE ENCOUNTER

35 Whelen
02-22-2011, 12:32 PM
Ya gotta love when this happens

http://biggeekdaddy.com/miscvideos/elkthatgotaway.html

markt308
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
WOW. That was intense. I had a standoff like that with a doe this year! haha not quite the same! Great VID

tristanmac
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
wow, that was crazy, maybe camo does work after all.

elkdom
02-22-2011, 12:46 PM
during the GOS 3point or better season, Reg7, during the rut, hunting in an open parky aspen forest I had a 5x5 bull elk come in to about 6 feet face to face with me a couple of years ago, wind was perfect,he could see and hear me plain as day, but couldn't smell me he finally bugled so loud it was like being next to a locomotive!, then he wheeled and ran about 20 yards, stopped looked back and bugled again, the casually strolled away,,,

MY the "cammo" of the day happened to be blue jeans and an old plaid red loggers shirt! :lol:

Farmer001
02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Similar incident with a Bull in the WK before bulls were open. Had a cow draw and walked slowly into the ol'boys house in early light and heard some slight rustling. I crouched down and this 6 point walked right up to me and laid down no more than 15' away. Within a few minutes he was snoring, as the girls must have kept him up all night. I had to move as I was cramped up from kneeling and I moved ever so slightly and he was up and gone. Still amazed at the speed and how quiet he moved. Mind you all I was hearing was the beating of my heart. Pretty cool and I was dressed in jeans and camo shirt. Timing and just plain outhouse luck played a big part of this experience.

Caveman
02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Very Cool whether he got away or not

Fixit
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
repost, again

lilhoss
02-22-2011, 06:31 PM
Yea,that's Wayne Carlton from the states.He is the founder of Carlton calls and alot of scent blockers,etc.I'd say the scent blocker he was wearing sure works!Wonder if he had skid proof shorts!

Dirty Steve
02-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Wow!
That's composure!
I would have barfed my heart out of my face and shit my pants in the same movement!
That's some serious scent block!

BlacktailStalker
02-23-2011, 10:05 AM
I'd say the wind was in his favour and he was dosed in estrous piss... thats about it.
Other than that, experience of a life time !

35 Whelen
02-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Ya I think wind is in his favor too. If you look really close you can see the breath of the elk going straight down hill. And it isn't until the elk is just slightly down and to the side that he finally spooks and likely gets a nose full...or just plain gets hinky.

One Shot
02-23-2011, 04:00 PM
Very neat video thanks for sharing. If I was in that position I think that I would be afraid that he might use me for a rub.......