PDA

View Full Version : Stone Sheep Jacket

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Hey Guys,

Looking to pick up an eVent shell for the september's hunt.

I am stuck between the Rab Latok Alpine-which comes in black, or a dusk color which seems to be pretty much black
http://us.rab.uk.com/clothing/shell/latok_alpine_jacket---101/

Or the Integral Designs Thru Hiker, Also eVent, But comes in a better greenish color.

http://www.integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=840

The rab is a little heavier, but It seems to be a little more durable than the lightweight ID shell.

Just curious whether black is an OK color.

I wouldnt think it was as bad as say red, but it still wouldnt blend in all that well.

-SM

mudbud
02-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Personally I am not a fan of black, it stands out like crazy up there, and to me looks like a black bear.

I bought the thru hiker last year, thoroughly impressed!

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Does it seem durable?

I intend to wear it more than just when it is raining out, and also will spend lost of time with my pack wearing on it.

bigwhiteys
02-22-2011, 08:59 AM
I have the Thru-Hiker as well, the breathability of this fabric is unreal... Take a Gore-Tex proshell, and an eVent shell with a boiling cup of water.

Place the fabric over the cup and watch the steam permeate through. It's funny that people still shell out the $$$ bucks for Gore-Tex when the performance gap is so large.

The Thru-Hiker is definitely light weight, but the fabric is very durable... I have busted quite a bit of brush with mine (pack on) and no issues. That doesn't mean I am not careful about how I treat it...

Some other companies making eVent rain gear are:

Wild Things Gear (they make a really nice multi-cam event shell for military use)

TAD (Triple Aught Design) makes a couple nice eVent jackets as well.

The ID Thru-Hiker is probably the most competitively priced at around $260 though.

Carl

budismyhorse
02-22-2011, 09:01 AM
http://bchuntingblog.com/blog/2010/08/30/event-rain-gear-review-integral-designs-thru-hiker-pants/

you aren't going to get a better review than this!

and from one of HBC's own no less!

Hey BW.........have you spoken with Integral Designs about that pants cuff problem?? In my opinion, they need to fix that!

digger dogger
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
I bought an ID thru hiker last year(listening to big whities), from mountain magic, It seems durable, for how light it is. I haven't had it go thru a storm but it held up good and I stayed dry in a decent down pour. The only jacket that I can vouch for is the Taiga Extreme wet weather jacket.(but its way heavier and is bulky, compared to the thru hiker)
Dave.

Devilbear
02-22-2011, 09:12 AM
I have been using ID gear since 1993 and have had a Thru Hiker jacket for over three years, it is one of the best of about a dozen mountain parkas I have owned/used since the mid-'60s. Mine is a bright yellow, intended for mountaineering and winter trips so I also bought an ID "Pullover" made of eVent and in "garbage bag green" from Even a couple years ago.

I have no qualms about recommending ID gear, it is better made than RAB and is equaled by Wild Things, a small company I introduced to HBC a couple of years back. There is also the relatively new kind on the block here in Vancity, "Westcomb" and their gear is simply the finest I have ever seen.....it COSTS a LOT, however and ID is both reasonably priced and very functional.

I carry my ID Pullover and plain old light coated nylon rainpants, available from Cabelas and MEC and also Kenetrek gaiters...works very well and is quite light. I tend to destroy my mountain pants and thus keep my expensive GT and similar pants for snow mountaineering and just replace the cheap nylon hunting pants as I need to.

The new KUIU Chugach gear is also well worth a look and I am quite excited about this line as I never was about Sitka and most other such gear. Just a suggestion.

bigwhiteys
02-22-2011, 09:14 AM
Hey BW.........have you spoken with Integral Designs about that pants cuff problem?? In my opinion, they need to fix that!

Yes... When I got hooked up with my ID gear it was from Evan Jones (owner) directly. By the time I had a chance to really test the gear, ID was sold to RAB. After posting my review, I sent it into RAB and we've corresponded a little.

They really aren't targeting hunters with these products and looks like that might continue. RAB is still undecided what direction they will go with the ID brand.

The pants are excellent for bombing around on the quad etc... But for hiking it's a really big drawback to have to take off my boots to put rain gear on. Sometimes the country you are in is too steep to be screwing around with boot removal etc...

Carl

budismyhorse
02-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes... When I got hooked up with my ID gear it was from Evan Jones (owner) directly. By the time I had a chance to really test the gear, ID was sold to RAB. After posting my review, I sent it into RAB and we've corresponded a little.

They really aren't targeting hunters with these products and looks like that might continue. RAB is still undecided what direction they will go with the ID brand.

The pants are excellent for bombing around on the quad etc... But for hiking it's a really big drawback to have to take off my boots to put rain gear on. Sometimes the country you are in is too steep to be screwing around with boot removal etc...

Carl

Absolutely! it is extremely important to me...

I like that Event jacket, but those pants I couldn't take just for that reason.

Cheers

bigwhiteys
02-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Absolutely! it is extremely important to me...

I like that Event jacket, but those pants I couldn't take just for that reason.

Cheers

I also have Hanwag Trapper Tops which are a fairly high-cut boot and size 13 feet. If a guy was wearing ankle cut or had smaller feet than me, they just might work.

Carl

BCrams
02-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Certainly a lot of quality jackets out there to choose from. There is no question, research has shown eVent technology to be more breathable.

http://www.shelby.fi/tips/breathability.pdf

Durability is certainly up for debate between jackets. Its quite obvious for anyone who follows mountaineering and has friends in the mountaineering community (including spouse) that the gortex line has been front and center for a long time and has proven itself.

I own a Arc Teryx Theta AR and it certainly hasn't let me down on all fronts and weather systems right from sheep hunting to recreational use on the local mountains.

You need to ask yourself, are you comfortable with a lightweight Through Hiker if the weather turns wet/snowy and cold for a large chunk of your mountain hunt? I know I'm perfectly comfortable in my choice but not sure if I would be in one of the light weight jackets of any model or brand. My choice is perhaps slightly less breathable, but also holds heat in a little better too. History of its use in the mountains is undeniable and certainly more so outside the 'hunting community' and many hunters, myself included use the gear that mountaineers use. Like pants made with Schoeller fabric. Pretty much unbeatable imo. I also own one of those lightweight rainjackets by NF and used it on a sheep hunt -- perhaps not equal breathability wise as an eVent but certainly on the packability / light weight ..... I just didn't like it on my sheep hunt and felt if the weather system really got bad with lots of rain or wet snow I wasn't going to be too comfortable day in and day out. I still use it, but only for day trips / hikes. Just my thoughts.

I can use this jacket in August and I can use it in October for those cold and often wet and / or snowy sheep hunts. Great shell for late season and winter use too.

If a person wants an eVent jacket ... my choice would be the Montane Superfly XT which I have been told would have all the advantages / toughness / durability of a gortex jacket for those alpine hunting / weather systems.

BCrams
02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I also have Hanwag Trapper Tops which are a fairly high-cut boot and size 13 feet. If a guy was wearing ankle cut or had smaller feet than me, they just might work.

Carl

Its doable with size 11 with care ... its a tight fit the last foot or so but I can peel it over the heel portion.

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 10:54 AM
The Thru-Hiker is definitely light weight, but the fabric is very durable... I have busted quite a bit of brush with mine (pack on) and no issues. That doesn't mean I am not careful about how I treat it...

Seems it is durable enough, heard of any ripping or wearing heavy? Have you used it in high winds or snowy conditions?

I have no qualms about recommending ID gear, it is better made than RAB and is equaled by Wild Things, a small company I introduced to HBC a couple of years back.

Isn't ID now owned by Rab, the ID jackets are less $$, but have superior quality?

You need to ask yourself, are you comfortable with a lightweight Through Hiker if the weather turns wet/snowy and cold for a large chunk of your mountain hunt? I know I'm perfectly comfortable in my choice but not sure if I would be in one of the light weight jackets. My choice is perhaps slightly less breathability, but also holds heat in a little better too.

This is true. Couple things, The jacket you own is 130g heavier than the ID, and 80gr heavier than the Rab. Which is signifcant, but is only 17% heavier than the Rab, which may or may not be a big difference, I am not sure.

Also, wouldn't the extra breathability of the eVent make it a warmer shell because you can get the moisture out from under your shell that would cause cooling if you stopped and were glassing or w,e?

bigwhiteys
02-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Seems it is durable enough, heard of any ripping or wearing heavy? Have you used it in high winds or snowy conditions?

I haven't heard of any ripping or tearing yet, I am sure you could do it though if you were trying. I've had it on in very high winds and heavy snow. I was acutally out quading in our snowfall yesterday with both the jacket and pants on. Bone dry after a few hours playing around.

As for not being comfortable with an eVent shell if the weather turns bad, that is entirely dependant on the layering system you've employed underneath the garment, which is probably best discussed in another thread.

Carl

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 11:13 AM
And what do you guys think about color?

Grey, green, tan, the only ones you could get?

Black is obvious aswell as all other colors?

BCrams
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
This is true. Couple things, The jacket you own is 130g heavier than the ID, and 80gr heavier than the Rab. Which is signifcant, but is only 17% heavier than the Rab, which may or may not be a big difference, I am not sure.

Also, wouldn't the extra breathability of the eVent make it a warmer shell because you can get the moisture out from under your shell that would cause cooling if you stopped and were glassing or w,e?

We're talking about 4 ounces ;) Not significant in my eyes in the grand scheme of things.

I did say if I were to go for a jacket with durability made with eVent technology, it would be the Montane Superfly XT which is 590 grams vs the Theta AR at 486 grams. Heavier, durable tough jacket with better breathability ;) Whether 4 ounces is an issue with you is one you need to decide for yourself.

Durability is the driving force in my personal decision / choice for that jacket type versus the durability of a lightweight jacket. I have used both on sheep hunts and I am far more comfortable with the heavier jacket and I am willing to pack it. I find I am warmer with the heavier shell than when I was wearing a lightweight shell for glassing with the same layering system. :-D I've been wearing that jacket off and on all winter long up here in the interior right from zero weather to a crazy snowstorm warning in -15 while skiing out 6 km as well as other ski tours and I am nice and dry as well afterwards!! While I havn't ripped a lightweight jacket yet, I certainly have ripped the rain pants in short order!! Probably get funny looks from the local outdoor community with a lightweight shell in our winter conditions.

One thing you get really good at with hiking, mountain hikes, recreating, skiing etc is controlling your body temperature through layering, amount of physical excertion (pacing yourself), etc.....when you get that aspect down, you can wear just about any rain jacket on the market and be good to go.

The only exception being the helly hanson impertech I first used years ago that would be damp on the inside and I hated that.

Buck
02-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Interesting as i read this and prepare for a sheep hunt i too have looked at the thru hiker and find the jacket too light weight for my liking.And i am not convinced that with the chaffing of a pack that it would last for long.I am torn between something breathable or something less breathable with pitzips for a lot less cost such as this [URL="http://reviews.underarmour.com/2471/1006350/mens-denison-jacket-r]

Not sure how the UA product holds up but for a shell to go over a softshell jacket it may be fine.Anyone use this stuff?

Devilbear
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
You won't carry a pack for long if layering a ThruHiker over a softshell and whatever base layer you use as this will cause you to overheat and sweat like a pig. If, you are carrying a heavy pack as in going in for sheep with everything on your back and this hunting takes place in the early season in BC, say from August to late Sept., you will not want a shell of any type un der that pack.

The ThruHiker is light and reasonably substantial, but, it IS a rain, snow and wind shell, meant for layering in cold and wet conditions, not for wearing while humping a 75 lb. load in a pack. For this, wearing your base layer is usually enough and what I like is an "Original Bugshirt" over a light merino T from IB or MEC as this vents well, dries fast if wet from sweat or rain and protects me from sun, wind and bugs.

You can't have it all in one garment and need to consider just what you will actually use a given item for and then choose accordingly. I have had and do have a lot of mountain shells from heavyweight to light and I find the ThruHiker among the best I have used for general bushwhacking and wet weather.

Buck
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
You won't carry a pack for long if layering a ThruHiker over a softshell and whatever base layer you use as this will cause you to overheat and sweat like a pig. If, you are carrying a heavy pack as in going in for sheep with everything on your back and this hunting takes place in the early season in BC, say from August to late Sept., you will not want a shell of any type un der that pack.

The ThruHiker is light and reasonably substantial, but, it IS a rain, snow and wind shell, meant for layering in cold and wet conditions, not for wearing while humping a 75 lb. load in a pack. For this, wearing your base layer is usually enough and what I like is an "Original Bugshirt" over a light merino T from IB or MEC as this vents well, dries fast if wet from sweat or rain and protects me from sun, wind and bugs.

You can't have it all in one garment and need to consider just what you will actually use a given item for and then choose accordingly. I have had and do have a lot of mountain shells from heavyweight to light and I find the ThruHiker among the best I have used for general bushwhacking and wet weather.

Thanks DB i just bought the Icebreaker Merino baselayer and am looking at the KUIU Guide jacket and pant for my external clothing.Just need a shell for glassing during windy wet weather and not sure i need a breathable shell for that.PS i ordered the North Twin from Mountain Magic.

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM

This is very true, never really thought about that,

What do you guys think about the thru hiker hood?

That is one reason I was shying from it and looking at Rab, because they have such a nice storm hood, where the ID looks like it would have rain going down your neck and chest?

Just wondering, its hard to judge without going out in the rain with it.

Also how are the cuffs?

leadpillproductions
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Thanks guys somethin i have to deside on somethin else lol

troutseeker
02-22-2011, 08:25 PM
I also prefer a heavier Goretex shell. I have a black Arcteryx Alph SV, which I use for skiing, fishing, hiking, hunting, etc... For pants I have a very good pair of Goretex ones from work, with waterproof zippers all the way up and are a breeze to put on and off with boots on! The pants a blue but I don't have to wear that yellow stripe on them...

Who cares about colours as long as they are subdued?

snareman1234
02-22-2011, 10:21 PM
Who cares about colours as long as they are subdued?

Thats what I was thinking, but Its super hard to find one of these eVent shells, besides the ID, that is not either bright red, blue or jet black, and none of those would really be that good in open grassy or rocky terrain, they would stand out bad.

KB90
02-22-2011, 10:26 PM
Did you look into the "wild things gear" (tactical) that Carl mentioned?

Looks pretty slick to me. Comes in camo and is evEnt.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wt-tactical/products/jackets/soft-shell-jacket-lightweight-so-1-0-57.html

Or are you only choosing between the two you listed

Devilbear
02-22-2011, 11:41 PM
Wildthings has had their site under reconstruction for months, now and the jackets they do show are not eVent. They did have these and Marie, the owner phoned me one morning, must be three years ago, to tell me about the new ACU and Multicam event jackets they were introducing.....but, the last I heard was that they are changing their recreational line and thus their site and also are swamped with military orders due to the wars in Afgan. and Iraq.

Soooo, ,my take is that it may well be impossible to get an eVent jacket or pants from them, but, one can phone and enquire...they make really NICE gear and are great people to deal with. I like the lightweight tactical softshell pants and jacket in Multicam for alpine hunting, bet, it is pretty costly when you get it here.

TSW
02-22-2011, 11:56 PM

Carl

I don't get it. In my mind, these companies should want to make a pant that goes over boots easily whether they're targeting hikers OR hunters! If I'm hiking and want to put these pants on or hunting and putting them on, I don't want to take my boots off first!! I don't get how it's a hiker/hunter issue. I appreciated your review on your blog and agree that for a pair of pants to get the full go ahead, it needs to have a zip for the boots. That's the problem I have with my current ones.

troutseeker
02-23-2011, 12:14 AM
Thats what I was thinking, but Its super hard to find one of these eVent shells, besides the ID, that is not either bright red, blue or jet black, and none of those would really be that good in open grassy or rocky terrain, they would stand out bad.

It has been established that sheep are not colour blind, but they do not distinguish color as well as the human eye does. So what appears quite bright to us is likely not so bright to sheep. I don't see blue or black putting the fear of dog (dilexia you know...) in sheep, it may stand out to us, but probaly not so much to them.

I believe that as long as you don't dress like a Davie Street hooker, the sheep are likely not gonna take much interest...

On another tack, I think that in August I'll be proving that I too do not look so bright to sheep...:-D

snareman1234
02-23-2011, 07:55 AM
Did you look into the "wild things gear" (tactical) that Carl mentioned?

Looks pretty slick to me. Comes in camo and is evEnt.

http://www.wildthingsgear.com/wt-tactical/products/jackets/soft-shell-jacket-lightweight-so-1-0-57.html

Or are you only choosing between the two you listed

No I am pretty open to suggestions. That coat has no hood tho which is a must for me.

I like the ID jacket just I dont like the hood (wish it had a storm hood like the rab jacket I posted)

and I have heard that the cuffs can get soggy after awhile, but dont know if this is true

snareman1234
02-23-2011, 07:57 AM
I dont know enough about the toray fabric, or how it compares to event (I believe it is just shy of having the same breathability, but dont know anything else about it)

But the Kuiu Chugach jacket may be an option too.

mod7rem
02-23-2011, 09:50 PM
I use the ID thru hiker for sheep hunts and I like it a lot. It is quite reasonably priced also, compared to some of the others mentioned here. I think I payed $250 for mine out of Vancouver. I really like the Arctyrex shells but couldnt quite justify the cost.

boxhitch
02-25-2011, 08:34 AM
........I don't see blue or black putting the fear of dog (dilexia you know...) in sheep, it may stand out to us, but probaly not so much to them. ,.........
I can think of three things that appear black in nature
bears, wolves, wolverines
not my color of choice for hunting clothes

troutseeker
02-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I can think of three things that appear black in nature
bears, wolves, wolverines
not my color of choice for hunting clothes

You forgot rocks, trees, shadowy area. :-D

snareman1234
02-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Well none of those things move though, guy in a black jacket is definately going to move.

But at the same time, bryan martin of Canadian Mtn outfitters has a black jacket, black pants and black pack for some of the stone sheep kills in this vid lol, tough call

http://www.canadianmtnoutfitters.com/media.html

Rubicon500
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
You forgot rocks, trees, shadowy area. :-D

And late season stone rams , they are as black as they come in some areas. All my Ice breaker is black and I have black mammuutt pants and they never seem to be a issue with getting close to critters. Last year we were about 20 feet away from 30 Lambs and Ewes they could not be botherd by us. Same story with the mature ram who pegged us hiking in , we set up camp and he ended up walking with 75 yards of us. May have been luck but I dont think its as big of a issue as some people make it sound.

Stone Sheep Steve
02-25-2011, 11:20 AM
When it's cold out black can be a welcome color as it will absorb heat more than any other color ......should the sun happen to make an appearance.

If it's hot out...well, maybe not the best color for a rain jacket.

SSS

bigwhiteys
02-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Looking through some sheep hunting albums I can see that black/red plaid was a killer pattern, baby blue seemed to do really well also. In fact it seems any kind of plaid/stripping pattern was an excellent choice :)

For me I like to stick with earthy tones, greens, browns, tans, slate, or even some blue/grey combos are good to blend into rocks.

Carl

snareman1234
02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Yea the ID jacket is a real good color, looks very natural in all your pics Carl.

I am only stuck on the ID hood, really wish it had a storm hood, i'll check it out when im back in the lower mainland at mtn magic.

I also emailed Westcomb to see if I could get their Cruiser LT hoody with a storm hood and a couple inches added length, im a tall guy. But i dont know whether they make their stuff in Vanc. or if its made somewhere else and these modifications arent really something they could do.

And I emailed Rab to see if I could get the Latok Alpine in grey

We'll see how it goes.

Devilbear
02-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Westcomb will not do any custom work although their fabulous gear, the finest shells I have ever seen or tried on is made here in Vancity. I asked Gabriel about this last year and it is just not doable for them. ID has done some custom work for me, but, not for 2-3 years and Evan last informed me that he could no longer do so. Now, that Rab owns ID, I am not going to even ask.....

WildThings made me one item with custom mods, but, over a year ago, posted on their site that they would do no more custom work due to the military orders they have. At this juncture, I do not know of any reliable gearmaker doing custom shells in any fabric and will just do as I have done and have my wife, a superb seamstress, modify what gear I need done.

There is not as much profit in this carriage trade gear as many think and Evan of ID told me in so many words that custom work loses him money...which no business can afford. So, that is where that is, AFAIK.

snareman1234
02-25-2011, 01:30 PM
Lol this is hopeless, going to have to settle for something a little different than what I had wanted lol, I'll just go down to van in a couple months when I'm done school and try on the ID, check out Westcomb, and have a look at Arcteryx too I guess

Devilbear
02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
For what you want, based on your posts here and PMs requesting my advice, the best option is a Westcomb, "Dead Bird" is not even close and in an "earth tone". This has what you want and will cost you a LOT, but, in gear, you really do get what you pay for.

For me, my ID Pullover shell in garbagebag green is fine and I do not like wearing any hood in the mountains due to balance problems from a severe childhood orthopaedic injury. I prefer to use a cap and scarf and am comfortable at temps far lower than most people, I can wear this shell over a merino 150T and Icebreaker Tornado top at sub-freezing temps all day and be comfortable, but, none of my buddies can and they are very experienced mountaineers, just have different metabolisms.

So, go with Westcomb, my next shell will definitely be one of theirs in green and another in orange for winter camping. WTF, man, it's only money! :)

troutseeker
02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Arcteryx makes gear in Earth tones, it's for their military line. Very expensive stuff, but bombproof (pardon the pun).

Devilbear
02-25-2011, 02:08 PM
I know, it's heavy, costly, VERY hard to get and I have never seen Arcteryx gear that is close to Westcomb in guality, not since they started and I used to talk with them on the phone about packs.

I don't care who buys what, but, Westcomb is absolutely the best mountain clothing I have ever seen and I have had a lot of the best for some four decades plus...check it out, the stuff is amazing.

Kootenay Nordic Sports
02-25-2011, 02:10 PM
I sell both the Rab and the ID. I have been in the ID all year from hunting to ski touring and I can tell you that I love that shell. Event is awesome. A little cooler in the cold the gore but I will take that any day with the rest of attributes it brings.
I like the hood better on the rain jacket over the through hiker though. As far as hoods go I really like the hood on the Rab Momentum jacket.
I have heard great things about Westcomb but have yet to have any in my hands to try out.
Devilbear always hits the nail on the head when it comes to good, well made gear!
Dave

Hunt'n Guide
02-25-2011, 04:06 PM
When it's cold out black can be a welcome color as it will absorb heat more than any other color ......should the sun happen to make an appearance.

If it's hot out...well, maybe not the best color for a rain jacket.

SSS

I like black rain gear for just this reason. It absorbslight of all wavelengths and not only is it warmer but it also dries faster when the sunny breaks come.

If it is sunny.... well then I'm not likely to be too hot because I'm not wearing rain gear.

BCbillies
02-25-2011, 04:20 PM
I like black rain gear for just this reason. It absorbslight of all wavelengths and not only is it warmer but it also dries faster when the sunny breaks come.

If it is sunny.... well then I'm not likely to be too hot because I'm not wearing rain gear.

x3 I go black with pretty much all my clothing. Plus black goes with just about everthing! :wink:

troutseeker
02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Not to mention that once you've had it, you'll likely never go back.

BCbillies
02-25-2011, 05:56 PM
Not to mention that black can be worn to work, skiing, shopping or even to a funeral . . . very versitile! I don't have a single item of clothing that is strictly used for Stone Sheep hunting . . . if it's quality gear and looks good then skies the limit. :-D

snareman1234
03-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Just an update on my eVent jacket hunt, for those that were also looking for a shell.

I am pretty sold on this one by Wild things,

http://store.us-elitegear.com/wild-things-tactical--multicam-hard-shell-jacket-p2332.aspx

Kuiu didnt email be back, and It looks too short for me,

Rab latok is good, but might as well get a camo one, if they are the same price about.

Westcomb Does't have a storm hood, my buddy went and had a look at the cruiser in person, he said it didn't do it for him.

This Wildthings shell also comes in olive and coyote( these are on sale for 1/2 price, email them)

The new model coming out in april has storm flaps over all the zippers, Its a pretty sweet jacket, and is designed to be worn over body armour so is perfect for layering on a later hunt.

Once I make my order, and get it, I'll post some pics.

Orangethunder
03-10-2011, 01:03 PM
If you can afford it you really can't go wrong with Arcteryx stuff. It really is the best gear. If you want to save some money and still have true gore tex I still advocate the US Army stuff. The Jacket is fairly light and functional and the pants are really simple. Its super durable and pretty cheap. Plus its camo and you can get desert or forest. For the pants and jacket I spent about $80 Canadian Dollars. That was a few years ago when the dollar was down too. yes the jacket was lightly used but the pants were brand new. Hard to beat for that kind of money.

snareman1234
04-22-2011, 03:30 PM
So an update, didn't get Event after all that, even though it was what I wanted. The wildthings tactical was built for wearing over body armour, so quite a bulky fit.

None of the other Event shells had length, color, and a good hood.

Ended up getting an Arcteryx Alpha LT in grey. Made with Gore-Tex Proshell. -40% off so I couldn't resist.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Alpha-LT-Jacket

It is super light, which is good and bad. Its nice b/c I can just throw it in my pack and it takes up no room. But durability may be an issue, we will see?

And it is Gore-Tex, which I was sure I was not going to buy, I really wanted Event, but what can you do.

But, the hood is amazing, the cut of the jacket is awesome, and it beads water like the water is afraid of it. Definitely a fortress of protection when inside this jacket.

ThinAir
04-22-2011, 04:36 PM
I've got black rain gear too. I've even managed to kill a few animals with it!:)

Color means nothing in my opinion. Especially when it comes to rain gear. Usually when I'm wearing it, it's snowing or pouring rain. At that point, camo or earth tones aren't my main concern.

snareman1234
04-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Ya black is fine. I like wearing a breathable hard shell when it is windy, or when I am sitting and glassing....and when we are going in sept. it will probably not be too hot, so I will most likely be wearing my shell most of the time, except when hiking hard.