PDA

View Full Version : Open season bull moose

westcoastkenny
02-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Hey guys

If I have read correctly open season on bull moose occur in 2 regions Skeena and Peace.

I would love to experience either of these beautiful regions (just seen pix).

I personally have never been to either but one of the members of our group has.

I get to plan this year.......

If you could choose where would you go?

Cheers

Kenny

CanuckShooter
02-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I'd go to the Peace, not because I think it's better but because I know where to go......:mrgreen: aren't the Skeena seasons kind of short??

Kyle84
02-20-2011, 10:10 PM
Voted Peace!

Ferenc
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
For sure the Peace,that country is awesome,can never get enough of it

Sitkaspruce
02-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Peace sucks due to the antler restrictions....don't get me wrong, it got lots of moose, but it is damn hard to sit there and count times before pulling the trigger.

I have to go with the region 6, but only for fly-ins. I have not hunted much off the roads, but fly-ins are pretty hard to beat. And for that reason I like region 6

Cheers

SS

Marlin375
02-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Peace all the way........100% success rate.

kennyj
02-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Theres lots of great moose hunting in reg 6, and no antler restrictions. My vote is for reg 6.
kenny

bridger
02-21-2011, 09:35 AM
antler restrictions in the 7b were put in place instead of the leh system in 7a. good choice in my view.

sawmill
02-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Theres lots of great moose hunting in reg 6, and no antler restrictions. My vote is for reg 6.
kenny
Except the GOS around Smithers and Hazelton is only 7 days long.But if you do go there,hunt 6-30,up the Kispiox valley.08 and 09 can be a gong show.

Piperdown
02-21-2011, 04:34 PM
peace for sure

tomahawk
02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Peace for sure, Reg 6 has a million hunters squished into it.

Sitkaspruce
02-21-2011, 06:12 PM
You guys are all thinking about the bottom, more habituated areas of region 6, think North young man, think North, way better hunting, lots of moose and you can do a combo bou and moose hunt....as long as you do not run into anything that restricts your hunt........

Cheers

SS

luckynuts
02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Moose hunt my favorite time of year :-D

Depends what your after? Table fare, big bulls how much are you willing to spend. If your strictly just after some freezer meat then I would vote for the early aug hunt in the peace, can't beat the meat don't come any better. Any size bull to boot. If your after a fun vacation hunting trip and you like to call in bulls then either side would do with preferance going to the area you know best or have info for. Though region 7B has antler restrictions which can be a pita if you can't call them in.

If you want Really big bulls and don't mind spending the cash on flying then it would have to be Region 6, and like Sitkaspruce said throw in a caribou to make it a combo.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

W.

kennyj
02-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Judging by the pole it looks like region 6 will be far less crowded.
kenny

tomahawk
02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
You guys are all thinking about the bottom, more habituated areas of region 6, think North young man, think North, way better hunting, lots of moose and you can do a combo bou and moose hunt....as long as you do not run into anything that restricts your hunt........

Cheers

SS

Agree 100% however a ton of hunters hit the south and its a gong show of guys. My preference if in 6 would be to fly in for sure!!

westcoastkenny
02-21-2011, 10:28 PM
We will defineately be driving and camping.

Get the whole road trip/vacation/hunting thing going on!

Never really thought of a fly-in..always thought it was too expensive...but I guess just fuel alone is about a grand.

Anyways!

The polls are pretty "Peace" full......The crew seems to lean that way too.

Thanks for all the replies...feel free to add stories and stuff too:-D

I can't wait!

Its like Hot pursuit! I love it! I love it!

Cheers

Kenny

tristanmac
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Region 6 is an Any Bull season with no point restrictions. This makes things easier, but the season is also much shorter in the mid - southern regions of 6. Wasn't a problem for us last year, had are bull down an hour into are hunt opening day. By the third day every camp we visited had a moose or two hanging. Both regions have lots of moose and beautiful scenery. Its just a matter of what you want to do!

killman
02-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Region 6 Any bull season is also post rut and can be very hard for the average road hunter to locate any moose.

BillyBull
02-21-2011, 11:14 PM
For open season I head to the Skeena, even though its limiited days, its open, not point restricted and I know a couple different spots to head.

hunter1947
02-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Peace region for me all the way.