PDA

View Full Version : Mathews grip replacement

Howy
02-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I've decided to get rid of my factory grip on z7. I'm thinking about a shrewd. Has anyone had any experience with these, is there a better option? I checked out the focus grip from mathews but i didn't like it at all. Any input would be welcome thanks.

Bow Walker
02-20-2011, 05:26 PM
Side plates. Best way to go on a bow, even for hunting.

Howy
02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I agree but i didn't realize anyone made plates for mathews. Any perticular manufacturer that you know of?

Bowzone_Mikey
02-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Bob Lambeth grips
http://www.boblambethscustombowgrips.com/

Yes they are american .. they are Nice tho

Allan Andreas of Worlds best strings used to be into grips etc ..
you can try him but I dont see any on his website
http://worldsbeststrings.com/index.html

and Canadian to boot

Bowzone_Mikey
02-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Now ...
Shrewds are ok .. I dont like them personally, I couldnt find one that fit me but that dont mean one wont fit you ... try as many as you can

dave*
02-20-2011, 09:43 PM
Do a search for "Tronjo" oever on archerytalk.

Another American grip builder. He has a good rep over there.

I was looking at some from him for my Athens before getting creative with some tape of a few different kinds to get my grip, "just so"

killman
02-20-2011, 11:11 PM
So what makes a custom any better than the factory?

Bow Walker
02-21-2011, 08:02 AM
Slip on over to Archery Talk and have a look in the Buy and Sell. There are a ton of guys making grips and side plates. Lambeth has been at it a long time though, he'd be my choice.

The one drawback to Mathews bows (for me) has always been their grip. Too big and clunky in my hand, and I have big hands. Diamond's grip is much slimmer in profile and smaller in cross section. Fits me way better. Hoyt's side plates fit me best of all. I took the side plates off my Vectrix XL and shaped them to fit and feel just a bit better than they do fresh from the factory. They fit like a glove now.

Custom grips and/or side plates come in just about any wood that you can name, they are custom made for the bow brand, and they look waaay better than anything coming out of the factory.

p.s.
it's too easy to torque the bow with a larger grip/handle and not even notice the torquing...

Ruger4
02-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Focus grip on my Monster7 , love it

Mountain Man
02-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I would recommend shrewd over focus if you are a target archer, the focus grip is a nice grip but can torque the bow as its a very "grippy" grip. They are warmer in the case of hunting.

If you are gripping the bow correctly there is very little contact with your bow hand, the shrewd has a lip that allows you to choke up against it with a very consistent grip each time.
Shrewd for target, less torque.
Focus for hunting, much warmer in cold weather.

Howy
02-21-2011, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I just talked with Kevin Evans He tells me the focus grip from mathews is the way to go. So dispite my reservations about it i'm going to try it. He told me to grind the center ridge down a bit for a bit more comfort. What kevin says shall be done, amen. thanks again.

Ruger4
02-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the input fellas. I just talked with Kevin Evans He tells me the focus grip from mathews is the way to go. So dispite my reservations about it i'm going to try it. He told me to grind the center ridge down a bit for a bit more comfort. What kevin says shall be done, amen. thanks again.

obviously try it before grinding , the center line fits well , will assist your hand with a good solid consistant anchor point every time you draw then if you dont like , grind away :mrgreen:

Howy
02-21-2011, 08:09 PM
yep for sure.

Jonas111
02-24-2011, 08:20 AM
I have both Shrewd and Focus grip on my Z7 but I liked the Focus grip a little more.

I agree with mountain man a bit. For target archery the Shrewd might produce less hand tork. I myself like the tacky feel of the focus grip.

I shoot Hoyt Target bow and I am going to put the tennis racket grip on. I like the feel of the tacky better on my bows.

Good luck

Bow Walker
02-24-2011, 10:57 AM
To get a "refresher" on archery, I took advantage of Boorman's Archery course. It was only $75 then and it lasted 5 nights of 2 hours each.

My first bow (way back when...) was a PSE Mohave. The grip on it was entirely new to me and I got used to shooting that bow fairly quickly.

Then, after a few months, I thought that I knew what was better. I went back to Boorman's and spoke to Chuck (they were in their old location still) asking him if there was a fatter grip for the PSE. I said that I was after something with more meat so that my hands could comfortably wrap around it - I've got large hands.

Chuck said that a thinner, narrower grip was by far the better grip as it reduced the chances of torque, induced from the bow-hand. I went away thinking that "what the hell did he know about the way I shot?"

It wasn't long before I came around to Chuck's way of thinking. after handling a few bows and getting to shoot a couple others I realized that he was right, a thinner, narrower grip did let me shoot better. The bow did feel better and more comfortable in my hand.

My next bow, after the PSE, was a Martin Phantom. The grip on that bow was soft rubber and was not much meatier than the riser itself. I loved that bow. I loved the grip on it and I shot it way better than the older PSE. Was it the grip? Who knows? But in my mind the skinnier grip was a big part of my improved accuracy.

My target bow is a Hoyt Vectrix XL (as I have said before) and the grip on it is just a couple of side plates - the skinniest grip I've shot yet. It feels very, very, comfortable in my 'paw'. The grip just settles naturally into the groove in the palm of my hand. No torque (unless I really try) and of course the bow shoots like a dream. Me? Well I try to live up to the bow's capabilities - it's an ongoing process - one of these days, with enough practice, I might get there.

Bow Walker
02-24-2011, 11:01 AM
My point being that a thinner, non-sticky grip will settle into the sweet spot of your bow hand much easier and faster. Fatter grips can get twisted or torqued much more easily than a thinner grip.

Sticky grips can get 'stuck' to a part of your palm (or glove in colder weather) way to easy, thus inducing bow-hand torque into the shot.

Ruger4
02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I have both Shrewd and Focus grip on my Z7 but I liked the Focus grip a little more.

I like mountain man a bit. For target archery the Shrewd might produce less hand tork. I myself like the tacky feel of the focus grip.

I shoot Hoyt Target bow and I am going to put the tennis racket grip on. I like the feel of the tacky better on my bows.

Good luck

tennis racket grip , what a good idea........:wink:

Bowzone_Mikey
02-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Lot of guys I know tried tennis racket but found it soft and not consistant ... they went with hockey tape and liked it better

Ruger4
02-25-2011, 07:18 AM
vet wrap is another good choice , but I'll stick with the tennis wrap grip

Doinker
02-28-2011, 08:49 PM
why not buy a bow with a good grip in the first place, mathews grips are like clubs, now Hoyt has it figured out

Jonas111
02-28-2011, 08:59 PM
I will be putting the grip tape on two of my Hoyts. Not sure what you are saying about Hoyt having it figured out.

LOL!!!

Bow Walker
03-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Hoyt has figured out that the grip on a bow shouldn't be thick or heavy, or bulky, or sticky.

The grip needs to fit into the natural groove or hollow of your palm - not overwhelm the hand.

Actually the "grip" is mis-named, or should at least be called the handle. A shooter should NEVER 'grip' the bow when at full draw. NEVER. Just a thing I have about proper shooting form.

Jonas111
03-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Hoyt has figured out that the grip on a bow shouldn't be thick or heavy, or bulky, or sticky.

The grip needs to fit into the natural groove or hollow of your palm - not overwhelm the hand.

Actually the "grip" is mis-named, or should at least be called the handle. A shooter should NEVER 'grip' the bow when at full draw. NEVER. Just a thing I have about proper shooting form.

100% agree with what you are saying. But to add to that, it won't matter if a bow grip (Or Handle) has a tacky feel or a smooth feel if you are holding your bow properly. If you have form flaws then a tacky bow grip can make you torque the bow more then a slippery one.

Hope that makes sense.

Ruger4
03-01-2011, 11:20 AM
shoot whats comfortable , I prefer the grippy tennis ball wrap , I also like vet wrap , I like the focus grip , hate the smooth cold clammy slippery shrewd grip , dont like the clunky heavy fat stock wood Mathews grip, shoot whats comfortable to you , hold it how you like, what feels good to you may not feel the same for the next gorilla size mits to hold, next week there will be another proper way to grip/hold your bow........and probably the week after that

Bow Walker
03-01-2011, 06:10 PM
If (and it's a big IF) a person can be consistent and accurate - all the time - it really doesn't matter how you hold the bow. The key is consistency. Accuracy will folow.

Howy
03-01-2011, 08:08 PM
Just for the record my mathews grip isn't that bad. I am just always looking for ways to improve. The z7 is one of the finest hunting bows i personaly have ever shot. When i bought it i was also checking out the maxxis. I don't believe the mathews is "better" just better for me. As for grips the best in my opinion belong to Bowtech no question.