PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty in killing sheep in BC (Diff Species)

Rackmastr
02-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm from Alberta where we have but one brand of sheep to chase year after year. I havent done a pile of looking into your LEH system for the Dalls and Californias so I'm not sure how many years you guys wait for these tags and what kind of chances people have filling them.

I'm guessing the Cali and Dall would be the toughest tags to fill in BC due to numbers, draws, access, etc. My main question is which of the sheep you residents consider 'harder' to kill between the Stone and the Bighorn. All factors included such as location, numbers of animals, access, etc, etc.

Interested to hear some responses. As an AB guy I am just interested to hear. Also would love to hear how you rate the Cali/Dall's into the mix....

Walking Buffalo
02-20-2011, 12:38 AM
Nice one Rack. Starting a sheep thread from a safe distance. :mrgreen:

Rackmastr
02-20-2011, 09:38 AM
LOL...figured it was safe!

My main reason for the curiosity is one day I'll most likely move to the other side of the montains to become a BC resident. I'd obviously love to kill a Stone's ram one day in my life and just love chasin sheep in general!

mark
02-20-2011, 09:53 AM
We have some open seasons for full curl for cali's, but success is very low.
We have other draw areas with very poor odds, with no points system, so ya just put in and cross yer fingers!
Dall sheep draws are better odds for tough access areas, tougher odds for easier access areas......a very, very long drive for the dall sheep areas!

Rackmastr
02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Mark,

Which do YOU consider more attainable out of the Stone's and the Rocky as a BC resident?

Kinda was my thoughts on the Cali/Dall debate, though I didnt realize there was an open season on the full-curl Calis out there..

CanuckShooter
02-20-2011, 10:13 AM
If your thinking you can get a sheep LEH to hunt on you had better cross the mountains sooner rather than later...you'll likely be a very old man before you ever got drawn for a sheep tag......:wink:

Rackmastr
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
If your thinking you can get a sheep LEH to hunt on you had better cross the mountains sooner rather than later...you'll likely be a very old man before you ever got drawn for a sheep tag......:wink:

LOL ya I know the odds are incredibly low from what I've heard....kinda like our chances of drawing a goat tag out here!

GoatGuy
02-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Depends on where you go and what you want to shoot.

Generally stone's are the easiest.

02-20-2011, 10:20 AM
Stones are for Sure the easiest to tag because of their numbers, you just have to get access to them be it hiking, flying in, jet boat, horse back.

Second would be Rockies, Dall's in the province of BC are there but toughest to get too, the local guide only takes about 4 to 8 a season on my last check. Resident success is limited.

Cali's are wide spread but good luck finding a F/C on GOS, only a hand full every year in the province taken on GOS.

But if you get a Draw for 3/4 or bigger then you odds are good on a successful hunt ....... I've been trying for about 14 years and never gotten the draw .... one of these days.

CT

mfarrally
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
sheep are easy not sure what all the fuss is about
:twisted:

Rackmastr
02-20-2011, 10:33 AM
sheep are easy not sure what all the fuss is about
:twisted:

Yea its just varying degrees of 'easy' right? :mrgreen:

safarichris
02-20-2011, 09:03 PM
I would say today a good Cali is far more difficult than acquiring a good Stone.

budismyhorse
02-21-2011, 10:42 AM
to go out and kill any legal sheep, Stones are by far the "easiest" of the two.

and by "easiest" I mean, the percent chance you have in getting one after putting in an honest effort.

proguide66
02-21-2011, 11:20 AM
wich out of the 4 home sheep flavours are the most 'physically' demanding to chase?..Ive only chased calis maybe twice...never hunted the koots..been to the Tat...

Also , I agree with a 'good' cali as being damned tough to find with out an leh , heard finding a good bighorn in the Koots is damned tough to.....

Toughest thing with stones is getting your ass up to them ( most times).