PDA

View Full Version : What the best hunting book you've ever read?

BANG!
07-08-2006, 05:14 PM
I know that getting out into the hills is the best way to learn - but as a newcomer to Hunting (in BC) I'd like to see if there's a way for me to learn as much as I can about hunting before I get out there - so I can learn even more about hunting, once I am out there.

Have you ever read any excellent books - if so, what were they and why did you like them?

Same goes for videos....?

I can only imagine it's a great way to spend an evening by the fire in the off-season too. If you can't get out to the hills, maybe a good book and a glass of fine whisky might get me through to the next hunt.

thanks in advance

Steeleco
07-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Last years hunting regs, it's tells of animals all over the province, some pretty good fiction!!!

Actually I have a book called the "Deer hunter encylopedia" It's based mostly on Yanky hunting of Whitetales but it's still lot's of fun reading. It's big too, like a Langley phone book. OH another good one is "A field guide to Mammal Tracking" small but full of good info for the likes of us hunters.

pupper
07-08-2006, 06:05 PM
I like the book "sportsmans guide to Game Animals"
by leonard lee rue lll

It has a chapter on each north american species so you can have a good reference on each animal you wish to hunt.

as far as hunting books and videos, most of them are for americans in the deep south who treestand hunt white tales.

you might be able to find some good bc hunting books or videos but you have to sift through.

johnes50
07-08-2006, 06:06 PM
Is there anything in particular you like to hunt? I read a few Andy Russell books and they're good reading. "Horns in the High Country", Grizzly Country", and "Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer".

They're not "How to" books, but have a a lot of good info in them about hunting in Alberta and BC and they're just a plain good read. John

xcaribooer
07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
A couple that I have enjoyed as well as found very informative are both by the same author, Jack O'Connor. 1- "Complete book of Rifles and Shotguns" and 2- "The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America". They were written a while back but most of the stuff still holds true.Both are general books that cover alot of stuff, if you want specific info on a certain species then you can find a book that deals with just that.Be warned though ,if you read the Jack O'Connor books you will find yourself with an uncontrollable urge to run out and buy a .270 Winchester:wink:

Bow Walker
07-08-2006, 07:45 PM
http://www.bowsite.com/reviews/INDEX.CFM?REVIEWID=52

Try this link for some hunting book reviews - hope it helps......

Dan.

BANG!
07-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks guys - some great leads.

.... this site is another great source of info too ..... just a couple of hours afer posting my request and there's some good suggestions already.

In answer to Johnes50 - I'd like to learn more about the animals I'll be hunting later this season .... moose (in the Cariboo - region 5) and woodland cariboo (north BC, region 7) ..... but I'm keen to learn more about tracking/stalking the animals of the high country too (since I'll most likely find myself glassing for sheep in the years to come).

I'll write down these leads and take them with me on my next trip to the library - thanks again guys....

onlygotagrousesofar
07-08-2006, 10:45 PM
With out a doubt, the best hunting reading I've done has been authored by Jim Corbett.
He was a British ex-pat or Empire Loyalist type fellow, who much like Teddy Rosevelt in the USA, was very influencial in setting up nat. parks and game reserves in India.

His writing is very "1920's". It's sort of reads like what the Higgins character from the t.v. show Magnum PI spoke like........if you get my drift.

However....this guy had heart, and holy cow could he hunt. His specialty was killing man eating tigers and leopards, of which there were quite a few in the earlier part of the 20th century in India.
He is very descriptive. You get the feeling you are going hunting with him.

You'll just have to take my word for it when I say, you will be transported into his time and place.

The last title I read was "The Maneaters of Kuamon". It is a series of stories about his hunts for maneaters in the hill country of India.

Corbett is kind of famous, so his books are easy to find at the library or in used book stores.

It's not like reading a hunting magazine--there's no advertizing, no wizzbang ultra magnums or premium bullets that "anchor" the beast on the spot.

But there is stuff in his books like using himself as bait, sitting up all night in a tree trying to shoot a man eater.....and doing it for days etc.....
It gets pretty exciting at times, but he always manages to stop for afternoon tea........he was British after all.......

The other good read I had was Peter Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass".
He talks about Africas "Big 5" from a professional hunter's point of view.

As for movies, I really liked "In the Blood". Don't know who made it, but it follows Teddy Roosevelt's great great grandson on a Safari.....with Teddy's favourite rifle (apparently the most valuable gun on the planet). The hunters in the movie talk about ethics, hunting, what it means to them etc..... it's very candid. Not bad for a hunting flick.

Sorry about the long reply. But there you have it. My picks for books and movies.

Cheers,
Trevor

onlygotagrousesofar
07-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Ok.
So I missed the mark completely.

Hunting in BC?

Chilco Choate has some good stories as does Henry Prante ("google" them for titles).
"Grizzlies and White Guys" is good, as is "Bella Coola Man- the Life and times of Clayton Mac"... both are stories as told by Thommassen (spell) about a Nuxalk (spell again..) elder who was quite the bear guide in his day.

Again, good stories.

Also, check out the "BC book" sections in book stores and outdoor stores.
Give the rack a twirl, there's some good stuff in there....and some not so good.....

Try the MOE website---Environmental Stewardship section....."Big Game Animals" link.

--Trev

ps: the last post was just for good all-around hunting reading and viewing.

Schmaus
07-09-2006, 01:17 AM
I can definately second the Grizzlies and white guys book. I read that book a couple of times in the last few years and I think that it is a good book. I think that it is a little bit far fetched in a couple of places but overall I think that it is a good book. I actually went fishing in Bella Coola a couple of weeks ago with a guy that said he was married to Clayton Mac's daughter (Clayton wrote Grizzlies and White Guys). Weird ehh!!!

endtimerwithabow
07-09-2006, 07:26 AM
not to sure where you are located but go to the libary and search around there, plus go to second hand book stores and look there for anything related to hunting and tracking. I just read a book about the science of tracking its a dry read but extremlly informative, cant wait to put the info i gleaned into practice:mrgreen: . there are some great older books about hunting big game in the high country.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-09-2006, 07:38 AM
The best informative hunting book that I've read has to be Tony Russ's "Manual for Successful Hunters-Why 10% of the Hunters Take 90% of the Game". Lots of good info. And his Sheep hunting book is definitely one of the best as well.

SSS

dana
07-09-2006, 07:51 AM
The Adventures of Fred Bear is one of my all time favorites. It is Fred Bear's actual field notes from his many hunts around the world. Several BC hunts are included.

Another great book is From The Peace To The Fraser by Prentice (SP) Gray. Talk about adventures those guys had. Elmer Keith was their cook and packer on several of their trips.

The 'Hummer'
07-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Don't know if it's one of the best but even though it was published quite a few years ago, it remains one of my favorites, Elmer Keith's Big Game Hunting. The author is not only one of the best of his day but also an individual who contributed much to the world of hunting & firearms.:-)

xcaribooer
07-09-2006, 02:22 PM
This goes back before my time but apparently Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor had quite the rivalry going.Jack's theory was that a 270win was all you needed for most hunting and Elmer's theory was that you needed to make a BIG hole thru an animal to kill it. They also say there was some jealousy on Elmer's part because Jack was a better writer and had a bigger bank roll to play with. What a life ,paid to go trophy hunting all around the globe then write a story about it.How do you get work like that? It is also said that O'Connor was high maintainance and could be less than pleasant to be around.

The 'Hummer'
07-09-2006, 02:43 PM
This goes back before my time but apparently Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor had quite the rivalry going.Jack's theory was that a 270win was all you needed for most hunting and Elmer's theory was that you needed to make a BIG hole thru an animal to kill it. They also say there was some jealousy on Elmer's part because Jack was a better writer and had a bigger bank roll to play with. What a life ,paid to go trophy hunting all around the globe then write a story about it.How do you get work like that? It is also said that O'Connor was high maintainance and could be less than pleasant to be around.

Just prior to his passing away, I had the good fortune to meet Elmer on two occasions. Once at a gun show in Kalispal Montana and the time at his home in Salmon Idaho. Quite the man. Both were actually. Their differences of opinion still exist today, much as they ever have but both were leaders in their field.

willy442
07-09-2006, 03:20 PM

Altough I met him many times and hunted with lots who knew him. I never did have the chance to guide him. It was said by most in the sheep hunting circle's that his wife Elnor was the better hunter. Also Jack never went out and hunted hard himself, he wanted others to do the work while he wrote stories and shot game. I must admit though he was the sheep hunting guru for a long time. This was partially fueled, by the area's he hunted and the people he hunted with. The 60's and early 70's trophies were alot easier to come by, access to the hunting was the problem. Personally I think Johnny Caputo and some of his buds were the early pioneers of sheep hunting.

tangozulu
07-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Without a doubt it is jim corbett and maneaters of kuman. Most non unters love it too.

Sikanni Stalker
07-09-2006, 06:28 PM
I don't know about how much technical info you'll get but Jack Boudreau's books are all awesome too. Good for around the fire at night.

mainland hunter
07-09-2006, 08:19 PM
ive been looking for a copy of Tony Russ's manual for a successfull hunter book and cant even order it from amazon.com, does anyone have a copy they want to sell or loan to me, cant seem to find it anywhere

FlyingHigh
07-09-2006, 08:29 PM
101 Deer Hunting Tips and Deer and Deer Hunting. can't remember who they're by.

The 'Hummer'
07-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Looking at my book shelf, I've just spied another 'Golden Oldie' treasure. The American Deer Hunter - Francis E. Sell. Can hardly remember it, I'll have to read it again.

1/2 slam
07-10-2006, 02:19 AM
Sheep and Sheep hunting by JacK O'Connor.

Hunter's Dad
07-10-2006, 04:28 AM
If you you read about Jack's life he did allot of hunting on his own growing up and as a young adult in the Sonora desert area. Non of those hunts sound like someone else did it for him.

Capstick is great and he talks of other authers as well.

MichelD
07-10-2006, 06:46 AM
I agree with xcaribooer on "The Art of Hunting Big Game in North America" by Jack O'Connor.

It's a great basic all-round book, and an excellent one to start with.

Then get a 270 and go hunting.

As far as great story telling, read Clayton Mack and Chilco Choate.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Jack O'connor had asked my Grandparents several times to take him Sheep Hunting with them and they refused to take him. He wanted a free hunt and the rams already picked out and spotted for him. In return he would basically write a story about it. And my grandparents could get some PR.

Booked several years (especially on sheep hunts) in advance PR wasn't really something they needed.

They gave away free sheep hunts to FNAWS to be auctioned or raffled off instead and the money went back into keeping sheep on the mountains.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

mainland hunter
07-10-2006, 07:39 AM
ill write a story in exchange for a free sheep hunt, any takers?

bigwhiteys
07-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Mainland Hunter,

Yeah it was a good plan that plenty of outfitters went for.

As a result of my grandparents giving away hunts to FNAWS I know they raised several hundred thousand dollars for sheep over the length of their outfitting days.

Keeping sheep on the mountain meant more to my grandparents then a good story.

Happy Hunting!
Carl

MichelD
07-10-2006, 08:29 AM
I recommend O'Connor for his writing.

He was a professor of journalism as well as an avid hunter from his youth, so his writing is top notch.

How he actually got this hunts I am not privy to, but I'll bet the current crop of big shot hunter/writers like (fill in your choice here) get deals on - or maybe free - trips just like O'Connor did.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2006, 09:11 AM
MichelD,

I agree, I think O'connor was a great writer and I have enjoyed his writings. I just don't put him in the "guru" category.

There are others I can think of who have much better stories and more experience they just lack the writing skills to put it all into a book!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

The 'Hummer'
07-10-2006, 11:06 AM
And the 'oldies' keep coming. Just came across The Still-Hunter by Van Dyke. I'm going to have to start re-reading some of these oldies.

blackwater
07-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Mainland Hunter - I just ordered a couple Tony Russ books from his website http://www.tonyruss.com/
If you order $50 worth shipping to Canada is only $4.
I can tell you how the process went when I get them.

GoatGuy
07-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Jack Boudreaux's (sp) books are hilarious and informative if you know the areas mentioned. Fraser river, all the way up to the Yukon border depending on the book.

They won't teach too much about hunting but there's plenty of hunting stories and it's all from BC!

bckev
07-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Anything by Pat MacManus, if nothing else they will help you keep the right perspective.

mainland hunter
07-11-2006, 04:53 PM
thanks blackwater, i found that site too but dont have paypal set up yet and thats all they take. ill probably order it from there soon

The 'Hummer'
07-11-2006, 05:11 PM
Wellllllllllll, here's another one from 'my shelf', not quite as old as the previous but just as good. Advanced Hunting Tips & Techniques - Robert Elman.:wink:

MichelD
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
You're right BCKev, Pat MacManus is hilarious.

kutenay
07-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I found "Bigwhitey's" comments concerning the legendary Jack O'Connor quite interesting, a guy I used to shoot with at "Barnet" is a "prof" at UBC and used to teach school in Fort Nelly years ago. He is a custom rifle nut and went on many guided hunts in the north; he told me that a number of people he knew there said exactly the same thing about J'OC and his expectation of "freebies".

I knew older guys in the mid-60s in Fernie where I worked who had guided, packed, cooked and wrangled on trips where certain famous gunwriters hunted; I can remember the hoots of laughter during bull sessions in the old "Staff House" at Fernie and down at "Butt's" as well as up at "Britt Creek Cabin" when certain names were mentioned. I guess that some of these gents were not all that their written exploits depicted them as.......

I seldom read books or magazines about hunting or other outdoor activities; the 'Net is far more informative and HBC and 24Hr. Campfire are both VERY worthwhile sites and much more fun than reading some over- priced magazine or book. However, one superb hunting book I really recommend is about B.C. and written over a century ago; it is rare, has been re-printed during the '70s and is REALLY fascinating. This is "Campfires in the Canadian Rockies", by Dr. William.T.Hornaday, a noted "Zoologist" of his time. If, you can find it, the descriptions of 1904 era Elk Valley, etc., will surprise you, given the situation today.

One thing I will say about J'OC, is that I and many other young rifle nuts corresponded with him in personal letters at the height of his fame and he ALWAYS replied with courtesy, humour and precise technical detail. He was an interesting guy in a time when hunters were considered normal and even the "Vancouver Sun", "The Province" and perhaps "The Times-Communist" had regular hunting columns published every week.....and you could buy a rifle in dozens of stores in Vancouver, with NO trouble at all and there were almost NO shootings here.......sad changes.......