PDA

View Full Version : Mulies near clearwater?

sidney-hunter
07-08-2006, 04:21 PM
does anyone have any info on mule deer hunting around clearwater/vavenby area? i know of a few people who have been and they never come back empty handed. any help is appreciated.

livingston
07-08-2006, 05:18 PM
My dad and I hunted out of Clearwater last year in early Oct. and both came back with a couple of decent mulies:smile:

There was a bit of hunting pressure near the towns but the further out we went there were less hunters.

It seemed like the deer stayed in herds in small areas, once we found a good area with good deer numbers we stayed on them and we both got our deer within 400 yards of each other a week apart.

We did try closer to the town of Vavenby by McCorvie Lakes(that was were the butcher was) but were a bit discouraged, we saw close to 40 deer one morning all does it was a bit frustrating.The bucks were there but probably would be pretty elusive till the rut as there was alot of hunters.

sidney-hunter
07-08-2006, 05:21 PM
its too bad we dont have deer like the one in your pic here on the rock huh? thanks livingston.

livingston
07-08-2006, 05:24 PM
We have some beauty grain fed blacktails but there all in sidney and saanich:mrgreen:

steveo32
07-08-2006, 06:44 PM
The deerhunting arounbd clearwater is decent but if you head back towards the adams you should be able to put one down in the 170" class if you are there all week:S I dropped a 202" 9x9 last year just out side of chase heading up towards the adams. If you just get off the roads you should be into deer but watch out for grow ops, the growers are not to friendly either.

steve

butcher
07-08-2006, 10:03 PM
If you want to kill some big muleys in the Clearwater area you could try hunting Near Wells Gray park in M-U 346. There are some good ones taken out of there if you're willing to work for them. Not as many guys there either. I personally know of some bucks in the 180-190 class coming from there every year. PM me if you want more info. This is not BS. I see real good deer all the time.

Gateholio
07-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Wow, Steveo's buck last year was awesome...Liek a bloody small elk!:mrgreen:

dana
07-09-2006, 07:44 AM
Haven't you heard the news, Clearwater is crawlin' with Big Bucks, they grow behind every tree up here.:mrgreen: Fact is we've got a healthy deer herd and it isn't too hard to find a legal four point. Not much different from the rest of the Interior. Big Bucks are where you find them. They grow big because of age. Age means they have several hunting seasons under their belts and they know where to be on Sept 10th, the thick timber. And the Clearwater Area has a lot of thick timber. Big bucks rarely ever make mistakes like hanging out in cutblocks during daylight hours. If you want a big buck you've got to work hard for it. I certainly know Steveo32's buck last year was not cake walk.;-)

steveo32
07-09-2006, 10:36 AM
dana i think the best part about the deer i got was the small river crossing with 9 inches of snow on the ground:???: Sure was alot of fun and i cant wait to do it again!!!

steve

dana
07-09-2006, 11:07 AM
Yea, the boys sure climbed high when they felt that cold water. :) :)

bcboy
07-09-2006, 07:36 PM
I feel everyone should hunt Clearwater and area as there are no deer down here.

Will
07-10-2006, 11:10 PM
Must be All the Uranium Growing them Big Racks up there ! :razz:

bcboy
07-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Or the Bud!!

GoatGuy
07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
does anyone have any info on mule deer hunting around clearwater/vavenby area? i know of a few people who have been and they never come back empty handed. any help is appreciated.

Bucks, big bucks behind every bush.

bcboy
07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
pm Dana he is always ready to give out a good location. :mrgreen:

Elkhound
07-11-2006, 04:44 PM
pm Dana he is always ready to give out a good location. :mrgreen:

LMAO, you my friend are a bad boy:biggrin:

dana
07-11-2006, 04:45 PM
If I hang around on this site I won't be answering too many PM's. :wink:

Will,
I guess you saw the news footage. That's the real reason I kill big bucks. I can see the proposed mine site from my living room window. :mad: :mad: Any one want to buy a nice little home in the country?

GoatGuy
07-11-2006, 05:27 PM
Any one want to buy a nice little home in the country?

How bout just the sheds!:wink:

bcboy
07-11-2006, 05:48 PM
[quote=dana]If I hang around on this site I won't be answering too many PM's. :wink:

Ahh!! geez just makin ya welcome. If I come up this yr. can I set my wall tent in your yard.:-)

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2006, 05:57 PM
[quote=dana]If I hang around on this site I won't be answering too many PM's. :wink:

Dana-At least your PM box is a lot smaller on this site:wink: .

Just remember Clarke runs a pretty tight ship around here......;-)

SSS

dana
07-11-2006, 06:11 PM
Clarke runs a tight ship eh? You ever have a run in with the famous BCBadgeBoy on Monster Muleys? Now that guy is a tough hombrie. :) :)

Although Clarke is, of course a true gentleman, hero of BC, crack shot, very wise, damn good looking and has a charming, witty personality. Most of us can only aspire to his greatness...:wink::razz:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2006, 06:23 PM
I'm scared to sign up over there:redface: . That man is a BEAST!!

SSS

steveo32
07-11-2006, 06:31 PM
hey steve i will take that home off your hands and i will even store all your sheds until you find a better home!!! Hope that mine is shut down and hopefully this site will be a little nicer to ya, and you pm box will never be smaller.

steve

dana
07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
SSS,
I once saw him nuke like 20 threads in 5 minutes. He's one crazy dude no doubt. ;)

Steveo,
I can't see that mine has a hope in hell in ever getting approved. You are talking of killing the entire Thompson and Fraser water systems. You think a government would have balls enough to kill the largest salmon run in the world for the glory of 10 to 15 years of tax dollars? I sure hope not. If it does happen, I'm moving to the Yukon or NWT and livin off the land.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Uranium??

SSS

dana
07-11-2006, 06:59 PM
Yup. We kicked the buggers out back in the 70's. Now another company wants a go at it. Sure hope this money hungry government of ours doesn't do something stupid. The way I see it it would be political suicide. This ain't just a Birch Island or Clearwater issue. This is an issue for everyone downstream. That includes the Fraser Valley.

goathead
07-11-2006, 07:57 PM
The whole prospect of that mine is crazy.This would definetly affect everyone.

BCrams
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Who the hell is Dana ........ comes waltzing in here like he owns this place.:)

Heh heh ..... you're a Junior still.

dana
07-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Who the hell is dana? Don't you know he's a legend in his own mind.:mrgreen: :mrgreen: The real question is, who the hell is BCramps? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BCrams
07-11-2006, 08:32 PM
So I've heard the tales about you......

I'm just your joe average who likes hunting. :smile: Come here and learn from others !

dana
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
LOL! I'm just a lowly interior hunter who has ventured here because he fell in disfavour on another site. :) :)

BCrams
07-11-2006, 08:47 PM
I don't support dudes who defend trail builders. :) Plain and simple.

Lowly .... I wouldn't stoop that low. Lol.

dana
07-11-2006, 08:54 PM
You be careful I'll sick Bobcatbessy after ya. I'll just post up on MM that I saw you riding a quad in the backcountry. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

bcboy
07-11-2006, 10:15 PM
LOL! I'm just a lowly interior hunter who has ventured here because he fell in disfavour on another site. :) :)

Kute or BChunter:-? or did ya make too nice with Steadygirl:mrgreen: Anyways I am here to get away myself so !!

BCrams
07-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Yah lets hear about it Dana ..... what happened over there.

todbartell
07-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Oh Danny boy oh danny boyhttp://www.themusicdepot.com/acatalog/Product_55295-N_lg.jpg

steveo32
07-12-2006, 05:14 PM
Fird bird that is a classic!!!:) but ya dana tell everyone the story and also let me in on all the details seeing as i missed all the fun on the weekend????

steve

dana
07-12-2006, 05:17 PM
Danny and his posse posted pics on another site of their hounds collared up and bayin' under a tree on the long weekend. There was No open season. I simply called them on that. I formed it as a question to the board. "Do you think it is legal to still chase with no open season?" It then got nuked because I was so-called questioning someones ethics. That in itself didn't bother me. I've had many a post nuked before. Hell, I've even nuked my own posts. What made me decide to leave was getting banned for a day for poking fun at BCrams. Nothing different than what is in this thread. It got Rams and I both Banned. To me that is BS. If I can't poke fun at one of my own hunting buddies, I don't need to be there. End of Story. Thus far, it seems this site is way more light hearted. I like that.

Kirby
07-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Gotta say, I was curious too. Seems like I missed all the fun.

Kirby

dana
07-12-2006, 05:27 PM
For those of you who frequent MM you probably have had a run in or two with a friend of mine known as Bobcatbess. He's the one that calls me BCBadgeboy. :) He types everything with the caps on. Has for the 4 or 5 years I've known him. He also is the one that invented the Highcountry TuneUp. Because I was pokin' fun at BCrams, I typed everything in capslock and said Rams was lookin' for a highcountry tuneup. I also ended it saying, "tHE ONLY bOBCAT dANA THAT THINKS THE MODS ARE TAKING THINGS WAYYYY TOOOO SERIOUS" With that I through in a ton of smileys like I always do. That was all it took to get Banned for a day. No warnings, nada. Just, BANNED.

todbartell
07-12-2006, 05:28 PM
wait until the resident Nazi, Marc, comes back :mrgreen:

too bad Danny's forum didnt get a chance to get up and running, would of been a fun place to hang out :lol:

dana
07-12-2006, 05:34 PM
Firebird,
MM is my home site. I would much rather talk big muleys with some hard core muley nuts than talk "Which is better for deer the 30-06 or the 270?" with local boys. So ifn I find there is no fun here, it wouldn't be a big loss.

todbartell
07-12-2006, 05:36 PM
which do you prefer, the 270 or 30-06 though?

Kirby
07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Dana, has Bobcatbess ever posted a useful post on MM??? I've been there for awhile and never seen one.

Firebird, somehow I think we would have all been banned before it even started.

Kirby

dana
07-12-2006, 05:37 PM
And ifn I'm looking to just BS with no fear of a nukin' I'll hang out at Moosies. I've been a mod over there for a couple of years now and I don't believe I've ever exercised any power.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Kirby
07-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Which is site is moosies??

Kirby

todbartell
07-12-2006, 05:39 PM
I used to chat with Moosie, he's a funny guy

dana
07-12-2006, 05:40 PM
Bessy has on occasion posted some good humor. ;) He certainly knows how to poke fun at me. :)

I am really sad Danny never got his own site going. Would have loved going over there and poundin' on him time and time again. My favorite quote of all time is from Danny. "Dana, tell me where you saw that moose." :) :)

dana
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Yea, Moosie is a good guy. Nobody can have more fun messin' with people on the internet than the Mooseman. He is indeed the King of hunting site trash talk. :) I still remember the fun we had when we went over and trolled Realtree. That was a blast. Everyone got banned except me and Moosie. How we were able to pull it off I don't know. :) Funny thing is I stayed on Realtree for a couple of years and then got Banned this spring finally because I saw a post of Danny's that I couldn't resist. :) :)

todbartell
07-12-2006, 05:48 PM
god bless the internet

bcboy
07-12-2006, 06:31 PM
270 for Clearwater mulies..30-06 2nd for me..

Hey a guy asked me for a place to hunt Squamish blacktails I gave him a

gps loacation:smile:

I still think he pm's me from time to time he did not think Save On Foods

parking lot was good hunting:!:

ps..man that Clearwater has lotsa deer

dana
07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
bcboy,
You still finding some good blackies down there? One of these days that is on my list to do. Just can't picture descending into Hades to get the job done though. Thinkin' I may have to try the MidCoast instead. Way less 2 legged critters in that part of the world.

Gateholio
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Hahah

I forgot about Moosie....havent' been to his site in years and years....:smile: That guy has a whacky sense of humour!

Dana

We don't usually mind a bit of silliness on HBC...I mean, we have Internet Legend Tod Bartell here, after all:wink:

I'm not the only mod here, but most of us are pretty low key. If someone is being truly insulting, they usually get told to stow it, and if they do so, that is usually it. If they stil refuse to play nice, they get booted, but I bet we've only banned a handful of people, and most of them were 2 week bans, anyway.

Of course, there are a few permanent bans in place, too. ;-)

There is a line, most adults knwo when they are stepping over it, or realize later that they stepped over and then it's all good...

I'd also prefer that we refrain form bashin other sites that many of us frequent and enjoy, we've all got friends there, and it's not really productive, anyway.;-)

dana
07-12-2006, 07:07 PM
No bashing here. The name of the forum was left out even. :) But I guess you weren't talking about HuntTalk now were you? ;) Moosie is my hero and I always try to live by his motto, "Lighten Up and have a Pop" :) Thinkin' I'm gonna try the famous Moosie handstand field photos this year. Those just have the front cover of Muley Crazy written all over them. ;)

bcboy
07-12-2006, 08:20 PM
bcboy,
You still finding some good blackies down there? One of these days that is on my list to do. Just can't picture descending into Hades to get the job done though. Thinkin' I may have to try the MidCoast instead. Way less 2 legged critters in that part of the world.

Never see people where I go:smile: Predict some B&C blacktails this yr. and next..me I passed on some and got busted by more:-? still learnin I guess.
The GreyGhosts of The pacific Coast are sometimes I believe the devil incarnate.

Will
07-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Will,
I guess you saw the news footage. That's the real reason I kill big bucks.
And All this time I thought it was from hard work and experience......;-)
:mrgreen:

Elkhound
07-13-2006, 08:31 AM
The GreyGhosts of The pacific Coast are sometimes I believe the devil incarnate.

They would get that vote from me.

todbartell
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
the pic of moosie in the creek with nothing but a frying pan on...classic :lol:

Brambles
07-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Obvioulsy I'm not up on my politics, I seem to be missing some key info. Oh well, anyways Welcome Dana:-D

Jelvis
09-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Where abouts is best around the clearest water I heard behind the SKI HILL at Clearwater is real good aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh FogHorn MTN area what do you know that you want to tell about mulies near Clearwater but didn't have the time to put it down Jelly 9 22 6>>>>>>>>>> by the way is Mt.Mcclennan still got moss back mulies? 9226