PDA

View Full Version : The price of fish!

Gope
02-19-2011, 12:28 PM
TLDL: The price of fish is to cheap for the cost of what its doing to our oceans.

We decided on having white fish for dinner. With the season being long closed and our freezers empty of white fish I went to the store and purchased a package.

So all the time, I hear of fish stocks are at an all time low. Not enough halibut for the sports fishermen, not enough seasons etc. We all know that there is problems but what are the causes of these problems?

11$/KG for FISH!? That has got to be one of the cheapest pieces of meat you can find ANYWHERE! One package of Fresh snapper (how come commericals can fish when I cant?) costs 11$. This was enough to feed 4 people with left overs. If prices stay like that this summer and gas goes up I might just sit on my boat at the dock and buy dinner.

If any one who is in control over fish stocks needs to give there head a shake, Reduce the limits of ALL commercial fishermen because obviously their market is flooded.

50% less catch, = 50% less product on the shelves and if supply and demand mean any thing the price should also double, meaning less work for the same profits!

Now im sure this might not be the answer but it should be a good place to start looking.

Trapper D
02-19-2011, 12:47 PM
know what your buying. they changed regulations on labelling in canada not to long ago, youll be suprised at what there aloud to call some of the lower quality fishes. snapper for example, is not local red snapper, this is a completly different fish. red snapper you will pay deeply for and snapper you wont. cod , labelled in the stores is not , rock, or ling, most likely hake or haddock, which they dont have to tell you anymore. do not buy basa , its catfish from the most contaminated river in the world. you get what you pay for, but you also have to question the sellers . and sometimes they dont even know. i have been raised on the local fish so i know the difference.

Hunt'n Guide
02-19-2011, 02:09 PM
know what your buying. they changed regulations on labelling in canada not to long ago, youll be suprised at what there aloud to call some of the lower quality fishes. snapper for example, is not local red snapper, this is a completly different fish. red snapper you will pay deeply for and snapper you wont. cod , labelled in the stores is not , rock, or ling, most likely hake or haddock, which they dont have to tell you anymore. do not buy basa , its catfish from the most contaminated river in the world. you get what you pay for, but you also have to question the sellers . and sometimes they dont even know. i have been raised on the local fish so i know the difference.

I just read a big article on this. I'd never buy fish now.

Tyee
02-19-2011, 02:18 PM
go to cbc web site type in sea food testing shocking erica johnson

02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
50% less catch, = 50% less product on the shelves and if supply and demand mean any thing the price should also double, meaning less work for the same profits!

that's not exactly how it works. if you cut supply from the local fisherman, the fish supply will come from somewhere else.