PDA

View Full Version : How many days to harvest a deer?

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 08:58 AM
A certain person posted some stats on how long the average hunter takes to tag a mule deer.....I know for us it's quite common for everyone along on a hunt to tag their deer in a 7 day hunt...so the poll asks how many days..on average...would you say it takes for you to shoot, or arrow, your deer?

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 09:42 AM
"" Region 5 is way better than the rest of BC, where the average over the 20 year period was 20.3 days per kill. Not one year in 20 came as low as 14.2 provincially.""

This is the statement that inspired this poll....let find out what our experiences are......

dana
02-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Lets see, I killed a muley in Nov of 2007 and didn't kill another one until Nov 2010. With an average of 40 days of straight hunting per year. 3 years X 40 = 120 days of straight hunting. Plus 5 days a week for 3 months for 3 years of causal hunting on the way to and from work. Hmmm, is that a lot? 80% of my hunting over that timeframe was in Region 3. The other 20% in other regions. Soooo when you look at hunter day harvest stats, I'm one of those guys that brings the average way way up ain't I? 99% of the time, I could kill a legal buck within the first hour of opening day but I choose not too because I enjoy the full 3 months of hunting. I've had numerous years where I've passed on well over 40 legal 4 points within the season and countless 'any bucks' during the any buck season and still have eaten my tag on the evening of Dec 10th.

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Lets see, I killed a muley in Nov of 2007 and didn't kill another one until Nov 2010. With an average of 40 days of straight hunting per year. 3 years X 40 = 120 days of straight hunting. Plus 5 days a week for 3 months for 3 years of causal hunting on the way to and from work. Hmmm, is that a lot? 80% of my hunting over that timeframe was in Region 3. The other 20% in other regions.

Not if your being particular......:mrgreen:........or your not 'average'. :wink:

M.Dean
02-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Takes me about 90 days to harvest a Deer. Takes the Kids about 2 sit down meals to eat the whole thing, there maybe enough left over to make a Bun later, but I doubt it! !

dana
02-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I fill out my harvest cards for muleys every year that I get them, which has been almost every year for the last 10 except for this year. I haven't seen them in the mail yet. Sooo again, it is guys like me that bump up the average. On the flip side, my son has had back to back years where he has killed his 3 deer a year limit in less than a week of actual hunting time.

sarg
02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
its about about 1 every 5 year for me ,unless i dont get one next year then it will be 1 every 6 years lol.

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 10:09 AM
its about about 1 every 5 year for me ,unless i dont get one next year then it will be 1 every 6 years lol.

You need to be a volunteer dishwasher in our deer camps me thinks...:-D

frenchbar
02-19-2011, 10:12 AM
I average 1 deer for every 40 days out hunting...or there abouts..i blame it on lazyness ..not wolves...indians or too many resident hunters lol.

sarg
02-19-2011, 10:15 AM
You need to be a volunteer dishwasher in our deer camps me thinks...:-D hey if it gets me out on another trip im game, hopefully u dont mine me cleaning dishes with my .410 thou. lol:-D

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 10:17 AM
hey if it gets me out on another trip im game, hopefully u dont mine me cleaning dishes with my .410 thou. lol:-D

Paper plates.....:-D.....cheaper to just burn them.

M.Dean
02-19-2011, 10:22 AM
There are so many different hunters out there, this info will be quite inaccurate. Some hunters get there Deer every year in the first week. a lot of them are shooting the first Legal Deer they see, there's nothing wrong with that at all, I like to encourage it. Other hunters couldn't spot a Legal Deer if it sat down beside them, it's just inexperience and not spending a lot of time in the bush, and the only way they'll learn is to be out there. Some hunters can spot game quite well, so there days in the field would be lower if they choose to take one, some guys hunt in different ways, so they have to spend more time looking for a Legal Buck. I spent every hour I could hunting last fall, on paper I suck as a hunter! I never seen one Buck I was happy with, but I took 2. My Grandson came up, we went out twice and he took a Nice Buck, so on Paper his time spent to game taken record is incredible. I think to make this, or any other post looking at time spent to game taken record keeping, a person would have to use the same hunters, after the same type of Animal, strictly meat bucks, or strictly 4 Points etc and try to figger out then if there is a decline or rise in Animal numbers. I'm not sure if I understand what I just wrote!

BCrams
02-19-2011, 10:26 AM
4 bucks in 6 days for the Peace ... not too shabby.....I'm surprised you're not getting 4 bucks in 1 or 2 days. Whats going on??

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 10:27 AM
There are so many different hunters out there, this info will be quite inaccurate. Some hunters get there Deer every year in the first week. a lot of them are shooting the first Legal Deer they see, there's nothing wrong with that at all, I like to encourage it. Other hunters couldn't spot a Legal Deer if it sat down beside them, it's just inexperience and not spending a lot of time in the bush, and the only way they'll learn is to be out there. Some hunters can spot game quite well, so there days in the field would be lower if they choose to take one, some guys hunt in different ways, so they have to spend more time looking for a Legal Buck. I spent every hour I could hunting last fall, on paper I suck as a hunter! I never seen one Buck I was happy with, but I took 2. My Grandson came up, we went out twice and he took a Nice Buck, so on Paper his time spent to game taken record is incredible. I think to make this, or any other post looking at time spent to game taken record keeping, a person would have to use the same hunters, after the same type of Animal, strictly meat bucks, or strictly 4 Points etc and try to figger out then if there is a decline or rise in Animal numbers. I'm not sure if I understand what I just wrote!

I tend to agree with you...and I would be surprised if the average hunter spent 20+ days hunting deer exclusively as there are lots of places you can be moose hunting at the same time as deer and elk and bear etc are open. So I wonder exactly how valuable those stats that were originally published are in measuring anything at all??????? Any resident experts got an opinion???

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 10:29 AM
4 bucks in 6 days for the Peace ... not too shabby.....I'm surprised you're not getting 4 bucks in 1 or 2 days. Whats going on??

7a is Omenica......7b is Peace....

sarg
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
Paper plates.....:-D.....cheaper to just burn them.
thats all we every bring to. if it doesnt burn its not invited.:-D

dana
02-19-2011, 10:50 AM
7a is Omenica......7b is Peace....

How many of those deer from 7a were does versus bucks?

Ronforca
02-19-2011, 10:53 AM
5 days for 2 Deer for me.Not trophies but not small either.I have an advantage over most people because I can be hunting in 10 minutes so that makes a big difference I would think.The fartherest that I have to drive is 1 hr.

mark
02-19-2011, 10:56 AM
The stats can be pretty skewed! I could of shot a buck in the first 15 minutes of hunting season, or in the last 15 minutes of bow hunting season....but I hunted nearly everyday inbetween.....so how would I answer that poll to any effectiveness?????

Moose Guide
02-19-2011, 11:57 AM
The stats can be pretty skewed! I could of shot a buck in the first 15 minutes of hunting season, or in the last 15 minutes of bow hunting season....but I hunted nearly everyday inbetween.....so how would I answer that poll to any effectiveness?????

I gotta agree, I could take a spike whitetail on opening morning every year without leaving my porch! I hunt hard for the whole season looking for a huge deer and usually settle for a small 4 point late in nov.

02-19-2011, 12:45 PM
A certain person posted some stats on how long the average hunter takes to tag a mule deer.....I know for us it's quite common for everyone along on a hunt to tag their deer in a 7 day hunt...so the poll asks how many days..on average...would you say it takes for you to shoot, or arrow, your deer?

Depends a lot on what you are after, doe LEH, any legal buck, trophy buck...etc. Meat hunter vrs trophy hunter - poll meaningless without stating which...!

hillclimber
02-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Last couple years i've been able to do about 3 weekend trips and sometimes 4. Usually if i don't get one Friday evening i end up getting one on Saturday evening. So I probably spend about 10 days ROAD HUNTING and have gotten at least 1 deer a year. Next year i'm gonna get a bit more picky

killman
02-19-2011, 01:41 PM
What year is it?

Ddog
02-19-2011, 02:03 PM
i arrow 3 deer a year for the past 17 years or so, then again i am not picky as to what i put down, of all those i have only a few trophies on the wall, but i usually dont pass anything up with 3 points or more, and one doe every year to so i get some meat in the freezer real quick.
as far as it goes for Mule deer, if a buck comes out in the first week of September it gets an arrow as long as its 2 or more points. dont spend alot of time hunting the mulies.

Gateholio
02-19-2011, 03:45 PM
Our local club has done a deer survey for many years. This is for the most part polling local hunters that hunt locally, with good local knowledge. Average days hunting to kill a buck was 9.5 this year. To see a mature buck usually takes well over 10 days, so if there was a 4pt restriction, the days spent could easily triple (This area is any buck)

FOr the whole region including hunters not as familiar with the area, I wouldn't doubt for an instant that it would be double the 9.5 days, so 19 days. About what was quoted.

hunterofthedeer
02-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Since I am not picky and I shoot the first deer I see it doesnt take long. I have only gone deer hunting for 2 weekends and I shot my first ever deer my first ever day and last year I shot one the second day at camp.

elkdom
02-19-2011, 04:08 PM
if I just wanted to shoot ANY 4X Muley in the regular GOS for Mule Deer bucks here in 7B, it may take as long as 15 or 20 minutes on opening day, no more than that !

NOW on the other hand if a want to shoot a 180 or bigger class Muley buck ??, that can take considerable time, sometimes I pass on dozens of "Legal GOS Bucks" through the entire season, never load my rifle ,,,,,sometimes I wont shoot a Muley Buck for a few deer seasons, pass up hundreds,,,,

waitin for " That Big guy":wink:

Lillypuff
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
I dont shoot them unless they are over 160 so about 120 days.

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 05:58 PM
How many of those deer from 7a were does versus bucks?

They were all bucks, only one a 4 pt.....lots of does around too, lots of twin fawns and even the odd triplets....

Steeleco
02-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Depends from year to year, some years they're everywhere, last year I was down to the last day.

My kids got 2 deer in 4 days during youth season, if it had been open for anyone, it would have been 3 deer in 4 days.

GoatGuy
02-19-2011, 06:26 PM
I tend to agree with you...and I would be surprised if the average hunter spent 20+ days hunting deer exclusively as there are lots of places you can be moose hunting at the same time as deer and elk and bear etc are open. So I wonder exactly how valuable those stats that were originally published are in measuring anything at all??????? Any resident experts got an opinion???

No point, you have no interest in how it works, only how 'it doesn't work'. It's impossible to teach a closed mind.

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 06:38 PM
No point, you have no interest in how it works, only how 'it doesn't work'. It's impossible to teach a closed mind.

Who has a closed mind? The numbers are interesting...and over time you can compare the results...but with all the variables are they really used for anything serious??

GoatGuy
02-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Who has a closed mind? The numbers are interesting...and over time you can compare the results...but with all the variables are they really used for anything serious??

You don't care about the numbers, there's no interest in it for you. Every LEH thread you go off about how it's a big conspiracy. It's been explained to you a hundred times and the best you can come up with is one anecdotal experience which is completely realistic and well within the relm of probability - you'd know that if you would have ever listened to anybody who tried to explain it to you. Every time science is brought up you disagree with it without even coming up with a rational argument.

The fact that you posted a horribly put together poll on here thinking you're getting some sort of representative sample or something reflective of what goes on in the province tells me you don't have a clue, don't care and never will.

Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Jelvis
02-19-2011, 07:06 PM
People have some doubts about things sometimes with bio's and scientists.
Fish counts so wrong in the Fraser sock-eye many times makes one wonder.
Letting logging in some winter range into a moon scape makes a guy cringe sometimes.
BUT I still believe they want it to be better and are working for the betterment of fish and wildlife and it's user groups.
Mankind is not bigger than Mother Nature and that is good otherwise we would be fighting among ourselves even more for power and control over the stuff involved.
Jel .. Mother Nature Rules ( we wrecked some stuff now let's fix it together )

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 07:08 PM
Not really, this poll is actually reflecting quite close to what FD has posted on the other thread....and in fact showing the average is quite a bit higher than I would have ever guessed.

How about it do you actually use those numbers to determine seasons or anything serious?????

Blainer
02-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Depends a lot on what you are after, doe LEH, any legal buck, trophy buck...etc. Meat hunter vrs trophy hunter - poll meaningless without stating which...!Thank you,very much agreed:confused:

Jelvis
02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
I live in Kamloops, deer all a round the City Limits just outside of Kammy.
If it's meat hunting, give me a half a day, if it's Mr. Good Size Rack?
Gimme a full day or two for a 140 or so ... Bite me!
Jel ( Fries wit dat? ) In my dreams now lol Life is Short! BITE HARD!

ufishifish2
02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
During the "any buck" season I can probably get a buck close to every single day if not being picky. Looking for the ellusive monster would of course take far longer, and maybe even more than one season!

hunter1947
02-20-2011, 06:46 AM
Most times I will hold out for a big animal and on the average it sometimes takes me all season to find the one I am looking for and then sometimes I take just an ordenary meat buck or doe and might only take a few days to do this..

CanuckShooter
02-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Depends a lot on what you are after, doe LEH, any legal buck, trophy buck...etc. Meat hunter vrs trophy hunter - poll meaningless without stating which...!

IS IT??? I am asking GoatGuy and he won't tell....when you get the deer hunting questionnaire does it ask you 'what were you after'??? If I remember correctly is asked did you hunt deer? did you kill a deer? what sex of deer? how many days to kill deer? nearest landmark?

I assume they are using these numbers to determine the hunting seasons?? The bag limits?? The need for a LEH?? Anybody know the truth....are these numbers used for important decision making???

elkdom
02-20-2011, 09:52 AM
IS IT??? I am asking GoatGuy and he won't tell....when you get the deer hunting questionnaire does it ask you 'what were you after'??? If I remember correctly is asked did you hunt deer? did you kill a deer? what sex of deer? how many days to kill deer? nearest landmark?

I assume they are using these numbers to determine the hunting seasons?? The bag limits?? The need for a LEH?? Anybody know the truth....are these numbers used for important decision making???

the current BC MOE Hunter Success Questionnaires mailed out are a BIG FARCE! and waste of money!

WHY???
1 not everyone receives one every year !
2 not EVERYONE who receives one fills it out truthfully and returns it !
3, information requested is only did you kill one?,where did you kill one? and how long did it take? NO info requested on HOW many were observed or PASSED BY in that same ZONE and TIME Frame!

4 NOT until EVERY TAG HOLDER gets a YEARLY questionnaire, and it is COMPULSORY BY LAW to return and give the FULL and TRUTHFUL details of the Hunt for that particular species, then only will the questionnaires hold SOME TRUTH usable for Game Management purposes,,,

CanuckShooter
02-20-2011, 09:57 AM
the current BC MOE Hunter Success Questionnaires mailed out are a BIG FARCE! and waste of money!

WHY???
1 not everyone receives one every year !
2 not EVERYONE who receives one fills it out truthfully and returns it !
3, information requested is only did you kill one?,where did you kill one? and how long did it take? NO info requested on HOW many were observed or PASSED BY in that same ZONE and TIME Frame!

4 NOT until EVERY TAG HOLDER gets a YEARLY questionnaire, and it is COMPULSORY BY LAW to return and give the FULL and TRUTHFUL details of the Hunt for that particular species, then only will the questionnaires hold SOME TRUTH usable for Game Management purposes,,,

Yes, yes and yes,,,,but are they using the current cards to determine our hunting seasons?? The LEH levels etc etc...that is what I'd like to know?????

IS that why 7a has had moose on LEH for so damm long?? :evil:Because guys mark down that they hunted moose for 60 days and didn't kill one....does that tell the MOE that moose populations are still in need of enhancement?? Gawd please tell me this isn't soo???????:cry:

elkdom
02-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Yes, yes and yes,,,,but are they using the current cards to determine our hunting seasons?? The LEH levels etc etc...that is what I'd like to know?????

IS that why 7a has had moose on LEH for so damm long?? :evil:Because guys mark down that they hunted moose for 60 days and didn't kill one....does that tell the MOE that moose populations are still in need of enhancement?? Gawd please tell me this isn't soo???????:cry:

what can I say?? INCOMPLETE and TAINTED Information/Surveys result in

MISMANAGEMENT!

02-20-2011, 10:31 AM

No, the questionnaire data usually only backs up management decisions because it's not available to managers for at least a year or more after the hunting seasons. Spot inventories, carry-over counts, composition surveys, etc, are a more important data source for setting seasons. There is never a single source of data used to establish regulations and seasons, it has to be multiple sets of data that support each other in order for major science based regulation changes to be made.

Most LEH species are on CI (compulsory inspection), so managers have this data almost immediatelly after hunting season is over, so they have solid and current data for setting LEH numbers on CI species.

Also, one has to remember that everyone doesn't need to get a questionnaire to make it decent info. Polls never include everyone, just enough to get a sample size big enough to assure a reasonable confidence interval (level of confidence in the result). Also a statistical poll doesn't need to ask how many you saw, or how many you passed up. Polls need to be kept simple with as few queations as possible to make tabulation as simple as possible. All they're really interested in is a reasonable estimate on how many animals are killed. Success ratios and hunter-days are secondary info that can be useful for backing up densities determined by surveys, etc. MOE (MNRO) always estimated that questionnaire data is about 80% accurate.

elkdom
02-20-2011, 10:48 AM
No, the questionnaire data usually only backs up management decisions because it's not available to managers for at least a year or more after the hunting seasons. Spot inventories, carry-over counts, composition surveys, etc, are a more important data source for setting seasons. There is never a single source of data used to establish regulations and seasons, it has to be multiple sets of data that support each other in order for major science based regulation changes to be made.

Most LEH species are on CI (compulsory inspection), so managers have this data almost immediatelly after hunting season is over, so they have solid and current data for setting LEH numbers on CI species.

Also, one has to remember that everyone doesn't need to get a questionnaire to make it decent info. Polls never include everyone, just enough to get a sample size big enough to assure a reasonable confidence interval (level of confidence in the result). Also a statistical poll doesn't need to ask how many you saw, or how many you passed up. Polls need to be kept simple with as few queations as possible to make tabulation as simple as possible. All they're really interested in is a reasonable estimate on how many animals are killed. Success ratios and hunter-days are secondary info that can be useful for backing up densities determined by surveys, etc. MOE (MNRO) always estimated that questionnaire data is about 80% accurate.

SOLID and CURRENT DATA?? from compulsory inspections ?? is that a joke??

that must be that every time I have a sheep or grizzly compulsory insection completed ?? a couple of months later I receive a mailed out hunter questionnaire requesting info IF I KILLED a sheep or a grizz??:-? wtf? or sending me notice that ny "Tooth for the Truth" return for my 275 pound Fork Horn bull Moose in their opinion was 11 years OLD, lmao! wtf?

IMO,the MOE "right hand" doesn't know what the "left hand" is doing ??
and MOST of the TIME their "head is in their a$$ !:-|

Gateholio
02-20-2011, 11:05 AM

that must be that every time I have a sheep or grizzly compulsory insection completed ?? a couple of months later I receive a mailed out hunter questionnaire requesting info IF I KILLED a sheep or a grizz??:-?
-|

This isn't complicated stuff, if you understand how computers and mailing lists work....

Not everyone that hunts grizzly kills one, and the questionnaires are sent out to almost all the LEH recipients. Your name is just on a list, and so you get sent a questionnaire. Big deal.

02-20-2011, 11:19 AM

that must be that every time I have a sheep or grizzly compulsory insection completed ?? a couple of months later I receive a mailed out hunter questionnaire requesting info IF I KILLED a sheep or a grizz??:-? wtf? or sending me notice that ny "Tooth for the Truth" return for my 275 pound Fork Horn bull Moose in their opinion was 11 years OLD, lmao! wtf?

IMO,the MOE "right hand" doesn't know what the "left hand" is doing ??
and MOST of the TIME their "head is in their a$$ !:-|

No statistical analysis is perfect, and they don't have to be. The confidence interval of CI data is probably well over 95% so it's the best data one could get, or anyone ever could get, and it's easily good enough to base management decisons on.

Duplication of CI and questionnaires, can't answer that for sure but it's probably that CI data is collected regionally and questionnaire data is collected provincially so there are two data sets. Two data sets is not a bad thing as it verifies the result.

The Tooth for Truth program was inacurrate, we all know that, and that's why MOE terminated it.

It's scientific fact that sample sizes of 10% can result in confidence intervals of better than 90%. Questionnaires are a trade off in getting resonable confidence intervals (reliable data) at reasonable cost.

Statistical analysis is a complicated science and I don't pretend to be an expert. But really guys, you should look up and try to understand "samples sizes vrs confidence intervals" before you trash the system.

The problems in wildlife management in BC does not stem from improper data analysis or collection, but is rooted more in social demands and poitical intervention.

Ronforca
02-20-2011, 11:58 AM
This post sure got screwed up.A simple question asking how long it took for people on here to shoot a Deer .All the so called experts step in and mess it up as usual.I wish that I knew it all like some people on here think that they do.

gwillim
02-20-2011, 12:22 PM
No statistical analysis is perfect, and they don't have to be. The confidence interval of CI data is probably well over 95% so it's the best data one could get, or anyone ever could get, and it's easily good enough to base management decisons on.

Duplication of CI and questionnaires, can't answer that for sure but it's probably that CI data is collected regionally and questionnaire data is collected provincially so there are two data sets. Two data sets is not a bad thing as it verifies the result.

The Tooth for Truth program was inacurrate, we all know that, and that's why MOE terminated it.

It's scientific fact that sample sizes of 10% can result in confidence intervals of better than 90%. Questionnaires are a trade off in getting resonable confidence intervals (reliable data) at reasonable cost.

Statistical analysis is a complicated science and I don't pretend to be an expert. But really guys, you should look up and try to understand "samples sizes vrs confidence intervals" before you trash the system.

The problems in wildlife management in BC does not stem from improper data analysis or collection, but is rooted more in social demands and poitical intervention.

6616 is my new HBC hero. Well spoken.

If we look at our individual experience, or that of a small sample, the results are meaningless. I typically hunt all season to get a whitetail. This year I took my step-son out mule deer hunting and we see 4 huge mule deer in the first few hours, and end up with 210 lb (field dressed) of mule deer.

My little sample would tell you that it takes either 3 months, or 3 hours to get a deer. If 100's of hunters are sampled, then you might be able to detect annual trends in wildlife abundance.

BillyBull
02-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Usually get the first within 10-days as I am looking for meat and not particular about racks etc... and up to 20-days when trying to find LEH or 4pt better season options.

pricedo
02-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Manitoulin Island last fall...........6 pointer "meat buck" down within 1st. hour of gun season. :mrgreen:
Watched him cross a 300 yard wide field hoping that a bigger buck might follow him out.
No such luck ........so just as his nose was entering the brush line I put a 150 grain Nosler Partition through his neck & he dropped like a bag of hammers.
Not a Boone & Crockett trophy by a long shot but real good eating.

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2011, 09:02 PM

You don't care about the numbers, there's no interest in it for you. Every LEH thread you go off about how it's a big conspiracy. It's been explained to you a hundred times and the best you can come up with is one anecdotal experience which is completely realistic and well within the relm of probability - you'd know that if you would have ever listened to anybody who tried to explain it to you. Every time science is brought up you disagree with it without even coming up with a rational argument.

The fact that you posted a horribly put together poll on here thinking you're getting some sort of representative sample or something reflective of what goes on in the province tells me you don't have a clue, don't care and never will.

Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Good points GG. I find it odd that CS is trashing the science used to set seasons and determine opportunity, given that he is the one guy who belly aches the most about LEH and how grossly unfair it is for him.

The very science that he is trashing that is used as a basis of setting deer hunting opportunity ALLOWS him to hunt deer every year without grueling his way through that conspiracy-filled LEH that is so unfair. Without the science of deer management we currently use, game managers would surely put us all on LEH for everything as a conservative measure to be extremely cautious.

Then CS would be screaming once again about "unfair LEH", and how some lady got drawn more than once while he sat at home unable to hunt. And who would be the one to blame for orchestrating the demise of his GOS opportunity by trashing the science behind it?

Cutting off his nose to spite his face, indeed. :-?

CanuckShooter
02-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Good points GG. I find it odd that CS is trashing the science used to set seasons and determine opportunity, given that he is the one guy who belly aches the most about LEH and how grossly unfair it is for him.

The very science that he is trashing that is used as a basis of setting deer hunting opportunity ALLOWS him to hunt deer every year without grueling his way through that conspiracy-filled LEH that is so unfair. Without the science of deer management we currently use, game managers would surely put us all on LEH for everything as a conservative measure to be extremely cautious.

Then CS would be screaming once again about "unfair LEH", and how some lady got drawn more than once while he sat at home unable to hunt. And who would be the one to blame for orchestrating the demise of his GOS opportunity by trashing the science behind it?

Your very wrong there FD, I would just exercise my aboriginal rights...and listen to you whine about how unfair it is too you. :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
02-20-2011, 09:34 PM
Your very wrong there FD, I would just exercise my aboriginal rights...and listen to you whine about how unfair it is too you. :mrgreen:

Too bad for you conservation trumps "aboriginal rights" in BC. You'd be shit out of luck.

CanuckShooter
02-20-2011, 09:58 PM
Too bad for you conservation trumps "aboriginal rights" in BC. You'd be shit out of luck.

Not while you have LEH and guide outfitters going at it.....read your own words...

>>>Without the science of deer management we currently use, game managers would surely put us all on LEH for everything as a conservative measure to be extremely cautious.<<<

I would exercise my rights...and your LEH would be taken away when I told them how many animals I was harvesting for my extended family...and I wouldn't feel bad, because every time I did it I would think about how nice it felt to take wild meat off your table....:mrgreen:

Whonnock Boy
02-20-2011, 10:02 PM
Not while you have LEH and guide outfitters going at it.....read your own words...

>>>Without the science of deer management we currently use, game managers would surely put us all on LEH for everything as a conservative measure to be extremely cautious.<<<

I would exercise my rights...and your LEH would be taken away when I told them how many animals I was harvesting for my extended family...and I wouldn't feel bad, because every time I did it I would think about how nice it felt to take wild meat off your table....:mrgreen:

Now I have no doubt in my mind that you are the consummate troll on this site.

AT&T
02-23-2011, 07:10 AM
Now I have no doubt in my mind that you are the consummate troll on this site.

For the last 12 years I have shot a whitetail buck on opening morning in the same field. Killing a 150 160 whitetail happens every 4 years over the last 20 years. If hunting for horns this post makes no sense. It sounds like the dumb survey MOE puts out. They always ask the same questions. how many days did you hunt. Did you kill an animal.

Why dont they ask how many bucks you saw?? I see an average of 25 bucks in a season. Sometimes I only shoot one even when the season allowed a bag limit of two. Just hate to have the big one step on on the last evening with no tag left.

CanuckShooter
02-23-2011, 07:31 AM
For the last 12 years I have shot a whitetail buck on opening morning in the same field. Killing a 150 160 whitetail happens every 4 years over the last 20 years. If hunting for horns this post makes no sense. It sounds like the dumb survey MOE puts out. They always ask the same questions. how many days did you hunt. Did you kill an animal.

Why dont they ask how many bucks you saw?? I see an average of 25 bucks in a season. Sometimes I only shoot one even when the season allowed a bag limit of two. Just hate to have the big one step on on the last evening with no tag left.

I agree totally with you, although the intent of posting this poll was to see how many "days on average" it takes for us to collect our deer so we could compare it with the MOE stats.

It is interesting though to note that there seems to be a reluctance to answer the question: are the MOE stats, as they are being collected, used to determine our open seasons??? Or when we are put on LEH?? The fellows in the know will not answer this straight forward question???

moose2
02-23-2011, 08:29 AM
I picked 20 field days , this is because I will be selective for most of the season. Then I will take a buck for sausage meat near the end if I don't find a big one. In this area if I shot the first legal one I saw it would normally be the first day out or a couple at the most.
Mike

Hank Hunter
02-23-2011, 08:54 AM

The measure of a man is :wink:

CanuckShooter
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
The measure of a man is :wink:

:mrgreen:Just diggin' FD:mrgreen:see how it shut him up!!:mrgreen:

Gateholio
02-23-2011, 09:02 AM

It's all about you, eh. Not really surprised, I suppose.

CanuckShooter
02-23-2011, 09:05 AM
It's all about you, eh. Not really surprised, I suppose.

No sir, it's about how many days to harvest a deer.....someone else tried to change it into something about LEH and not being allowed to hunt legally....:mrgreen:

dutchie
02-23-2011, 09:25 AM
I would exercise my rights...and your LEH would be taken away when I told them how many animals I was harvesting for my extended family...and I wouldn't feel bad, because every time I did it I would think about how nice it felt to take wild meat off of your table....:mrgreen:

You give natives a bad name, you should be ashamed of yourself. Digging at FD or not... it is not only FD that is non-aboriginal.

Saying something like this is the exact reason Natives have very little respect in the hunting community when it is the minority of them that give the majority a bad name.

I would count you into the minority.

Dutchie

pricedo
02-25-2011, 06:35 AM

What's so offensive about that statement? :confused:

The quoted poster is being truthful.

Sounds like a clear, straightforward statement of fact to me.

And he's right ..........it would work........and it would work fast.

The politicians, especially in Ontario, are scared shytless of the Indians & would hand them anything they asked for on a silver platter.

CanuckShooter
02-25-2011, 07:59 AM
What's so offensive about that statement? :confused:

The quoted poster is being truthful.

Sounds like a clear, straightforward statement of fact to me.

And he's right ..........it would work........and it would work fast.

The politicians, especially in Ontario, are scared shytless of the Indians & would hand them anything they asked for on a silver platter.

How many days, on average, does it take you to find your deer?

If you were told you could not hunt for anything for the entire year unless you won a LEH in the draw...what would you do?

Would you poach?? OR
Would you tuck your tail between your legs while the guides were taking out customers hunting?? OR
Would you exercise your aboriginal rights??

3 choices PICK ONE....:mrgreen:....be honest now....don't worry about FD he is a big boy and can defend himself....

CanuckShooter
02-25-2011, 08:01 AM

What would you do under the scenario being proposed by FD???

pricedo
02-25-2011, 01:45 PM
How many days, on average, does it take you to find your deer?

If you were told you could not hunt for anything for the entire year unless you won a LEH in the draw...what would you do?

Would you poach?? OR
Would you tuck your tail between your legs while the guides were taking out customers hunting?? OR
Would you exercise your aboriginal rights??

3 choices PICK ONE....:mrgreen:....be honest now....don't worry about FD he is a big boy and can defend himself....

I would exercise any political or systemic leverage I had and if I was an aboriginal I would exercise my aboriginal rights to circumvent the draw process.

The indignant moral vocalizations are from people who don't have that option & would use it in a minute if they had.

They obviously have a problem with the fact that natives have rights & privileges not enjoyed by the majority of Canadians but are too scared to say it anywhere else except on an anonymous forum.

Hunting rights, firearms rights & anything else that is good & desirable in life go to those who show that they are prepared to stand up & fight for them & the Indians have demonstrated several times that they are prepared to stand up & do just that nose to nose on the streets if necessary.

May not agree with the rights based on ethnicity principle it but you've gotta respect the kind of "fill yer hand Ned Pepper" true grit demonstrated by the natives who stared down both the federal & several provincial governments during Oka & the other blockades to the point that Dalton McGuinty the Premier of Canadas largest province is scared to death of them & would probably give them the deed to Ontario Place or the Toronto Harbor if they asked for it.

The Indians have learned that the secret to controlling the spineless to a fault Canadian bureaucrats & politicians is to get them scared of you & keep them scared of you.

To get back on topic I reiterate that I downed my buck in the first hour of the gun season on Manitoulin Island last fall.

CanuckShooter
02-26-2011, 12:22 PM
"""I would exercise any political or systemic leverage I had and if I was an aboriginal I would exercise my aboriginal rights to circumvent the draw process.

The indignant moral vocalizations are from people who don't have that option & would use it in a minute if they had."""

THANK you for an honest answer.....we have at least one other guy on here will to say it like it is!!!!!;-)