PDA

View Full Version : Spences Bridge sheep count

tbocking
02-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know when the next SB sheep count is?

boxhitch
02-18-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks for bringing that up

Wild Sheep Society of BC
6th Annual Spences Bridge Bighorn Sheep Count

Note ! Important date change !!
The date for this years count has been moved to March 26th 2011

Participants to meet at the Cache Creek Husky restaurant by 8 a.m.
to receive handouts and maps
Dinner/social to follow at the Log Cabin Pub at 4 pm

wildcatter
02-18-2011, 09:45 PM
Anybody can help out or only WSS BC members?

bruin
02-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Open to anyon

snareman1234
02-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Sweet! try to make it to this one too, unless school work tells me otherwise...

Alpine Addict
02-18-2011, 11:32 PM
Should be fun. Going for the first time this year. How many sheep are usually counted total? Just curious. Any rough ballpark from previous years?

Alpine Addict
02-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Is everybody given a section of highway to glass or how does it work?

Alpine Addict
02-18-2011, 11:41 PM
Sounds good. Do I get a beer with my dinner too?!

Alpine Addict
02-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Cool Stats. I'll buy an appetizer and we'll call it even. Thanks for the info.

358mag
02-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for bringing that up
Great thank's for the info going to try and make it this year

tbocking
02-19-2011, 09:08 AM
thanks Ive been looking forward to it since the last numbers were posted

srupp
02-19-2011, 10:37 AM
WILL try and get down again this year..last year WAS fun and informnitive..I thoroughly enjoyed myself...:mrgreen:

Nice to meat some of the usual suspects from the site..

cheers

Steven

boxhitch
02-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Thanks for the follow-ups guys

No, you don't have to be a member
Yes, you can buy all the beers you want
Yes, I'll by you dinner, but then I'll have to charge you an entry fee
Yes, info can be picked up in Lytton if need be
Yes, area is sectioned off, and groups spend the day looking at their area
Viewing is across the river from the highway, so be comfortable, and spend the time needed to see it all.
Rumour is there may be a couple of door prizes

Last years numbers were some of the best ever, very encouraging

Aside, there were no reported illegal rams taken this year in this area

wildcatter
02-19-2011, 10:21 PM
So how and where do we sign up?

wildcatter
03-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Anybody going from the Vancouver area?
I would be interested carpooling.
Thanks

srupp
03-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Im pretty sure I will be going..:biggrin: going down alone from Williams Lake..

It was fun last year and the weaather is starting to get nice..it was warm and nice on the drive to Kamloops and back today..

cheers

Srupp

boxhitch
03-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Sounds like a few guys coming from S. Okanagan and the LML, so will set up a meet in Spences for handouts and Lytton if needed.

LML could carpool from Home restaurant in Hope ? Chiliwacker ?

Need a set of eyes for the Fraser side, Lytton north ~20 k.

Ride Red
03-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Never realized there was a count until talking to a few fellows up past Lytton. We did the loop yesterday from Lytton through to Hat Creek and down the canyon. We counted a total of 37 sheep, but not one mature ram to speak of. Next year we'll join you guys as we love to glass for critters.

Muleycatcher
03-27-2011, 05:40 PM
It was a good day, lots of sunshine and lots of sheep. My group saw ~50 sheep, 14 mule deer and 5 Mtn goats. Great day forsure.

snareman1234
03-27-2011, 08:10 PM
Awesome time.

Here's some pics
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/empire_baller/P3260166.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/empire_baller/P3260145.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/empire_baller/P3260160.jpg

Couple Cali's on the way home

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/empire_baller/P3260188.jpg

kennyj
03-28-2011, 05:33 AM
Good work guys.Nice photos.
kenny

srupp
03-28-2011, 10:07 AM
I had the privilege to attend...and meet Brandon and Kurt two great guys...the #'s of sheep in the same area were way down..by 60 % plus....not near the rams..not near the same spread out...talked with some who said it was the lack of green???the grass was a lot greener last year and higher...colder spring the ticks were out as well as the BOONER sized mice..LOL

Again I thoroughly enjoyed the day..HOWEVER..

in future after the count when we meet maybe we can introduce everyone???didnt know many there..and everyone sort of tabled up??

As well maybe the organizer could give us a brief overview of the results??? I know wjhat we found ..but were the sheep else where?? or MIA???

CHEERS

Steven

srupp
03-28-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks Kirby..I did see you drive by in the Winnabego with all those girls..you should have stopped and checked out the scenery..lol..

The 3 of us had a GREAT day..thoroughly enjoyed the day and meeting Brandon and Kurt....

cheers

Srupp

Young buck
03-28-2011, 01:48 PM
It was my first time attending and i really enjoyed it and also having the privilege to meet a few people from the site . A big thanks once again to srupp who is a wealth of knowledge and a outstanding guy.

Brandon

triggr31
03-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Very nice work people ,I wish i could have been there . Next year for sure .

srupp
03-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I even saw a goat also..my first down there ever

steven

BCrams
03-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Anyone see the big ram east side of the Thompson River?

wildcatter
03-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Came up with my son who is just starting to get interested in hunting, but we were held up in traffic several times and were 45 minutes late.
Ran into Cody at Husky but all the rest were gone, so we went down to Spences and checked a few spots, including the area above the waterfalls.
We glassed for a couple hours but didn't see anything, anyway it was still a good drive and some fresh air, hope to do better next year.

srupp
03-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Wildcatter..we seen you when you were up above the falls glassing..we were in the BIG green Ford @ the main hwy...we agree that particular area was devoid of sheep..not one spotted there..just north of there around the corner we saw ewes and lambs and 1 small ram...

I saw your vehicle and you guys glassing...damn wished I would have known...

Greg I did glass this side and didnt see any big rams...but I remembered to check just in case...

cheers
Srupp

wildcatter
03-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey Steven,

Yeah, we saw your truck down there and I said to my son, that must be one of you.
Anyway I was going to stop and talk to you but by the time we came down you were gone.

Hi Wildcatter..we seen you when you were up above the falls glassing..we were in the BIG green Ford @ the main hwy...we agree that particular area was devoid of sheep..not one spotted there..just north of there around the corner we saw ewes and lambs and 1 small ram...

I saw your vehicle and you guys glassing...damn wished I would have known...

Greg I did glass this side and didnt see any big rams...but I remembered to check just in case...

cheers
Srupp

Ride Red
03-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Who was driving the dark grey Dodge Megacab???

Blockcaver
03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
It was a great day to be out looking for sheep. Steve was a wealth of info on everything outdoors related and Brandon found the rams to get us excited! The best rams of the day were the ones posted in the group photo of seven shown above, outside of the area we were glassing.

boxhitch
03-28-2011, 07:53 PM
It was a great day to be out looking for sheep.It was a great day. Thanks to all the ones that showed up and helped out. And thanks to those that tried.
Still working on the summary, total looks OK, but breakdown is somewhat different than last year.
Ram sightings are down and eastside numbers are down too, but that could all be a case of different sightability. Spring is slow to show this year, a couple more weeks of greenup everything would change.
Its always a gamble when arranging a date.

Was tempted to be overdue myself, by all the coyote sightings. At least 8 between Falkland and Tobiano