PDA

View Full Version : Calling all grizz hunters

Matty_ola
02-18-2011, 12:39 PM
So I put in for the LEH grizz draw and didn't think much about till I was doing some cooking research online.

I came across more than a few site where people said the meat from grizz isn't very good eatin. Sooooo if I do draw and get one what do most people do with the meat?

Thanks

jml11
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
leave it in the bush...

Matty_ola
02-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Really? I know nothing goes to waste in the bush but I feel cheated spending a bunch of money getting to the area I may have a tag for and not getting any meat in the freezer to show for it.

What about dog food? Do they carry any diseases that could be transferred to dogs?

Thanks.

Gateholio
02-18-2011, 12:56 PM
You can eat grizzly meat, it tastes like black bear meat. If it's from a coastal area, it will taste fishy, no question about it.

You can keep the tongue and send it in for trichinosis testing and if there is none present you can feed it raw to your dogs, although it will likely give them worms.
:-D

jml11
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
You asked what most people do and that is leaving it in the bush...Grizzly hunting is not a meat hunt. I personally would take it if it wasn't too difficult to get out and would probably make sausage with it. I have eaten a buddies grizzly (ham) and it was fine. There is really no difference between grizzly and black bear meat IMO.

SHAKER
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
keep it, sausage/pepperoni/hams etc same as black bear. Your bear won't be a fish bear where you put in for.

I've had grizzly several times, was good every time I've had it.

Good call...... smoked bear hams are A+ at our game banquet. I've converted many people into bear hunters finally from those hams including that great Griz ham GrizzEZ donated a couple of years ago! Lots of people said they wouldn't even try it and most of them came up to me later in the evening and praised how good it was. Coastal bears might be different but spring Griz are eating the same stuff as blacks typicaly... New fresh green grass getting their digestive tracks going again. Some people don't eat their cats either (bobs, lynx, cougar) but they're missing the boat big time. ha ha that was kind of funny... I got up too early! Forgive me.

Matty_ola
02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Right on, the place I'm trying for is no where near the coast so I should be okay in that respect. I just read a few thing about the meat tasting rancid and terribly gamey. I got a spring blacky last year and loved it, sausage and hams.

Wasn't sure if it tasted the same or not but I suppose they would be eating the same diet as the blacks in spring so there should be little difference in taste.

Thanks for the info, I'll try to get him close to camp and avoid the long haul out of the bush. Maybe I'll make extra bacon in the morning befor the hunt, the smell should draw them in. JK..... kinda;)

Stone Sheep Steve
02-18-2011, 01:31 PM
If you get one on the ground give the meat a good smell(not the hide). That will be your best indicator.

When Calvin dumped his interior grizz, we headed back the next day to get some meat(our packs were full on the first trip out). A black bear beat us to it and has his fill of the hind quarters.
We still managed to salvage some good meat.

SSS

warnniklz
02-18-2011, 01:37 PM
If I get my draw this spring and put one on the ground I'll pack some meat out. I'm adventurous enough to try it.

I've never thought of a grizzly hunt as a meat hunt. I've only heard one guy say he ate grizzly before. But he had walking eagle status.

SHAKER
02-18-2011, 01:49 PM
I've heard people say they've had bad moose too but some people eat them every year! Don't waste it Grizz can be great!

luckynuts
02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Really? I know nothing goes to waste in the bush but I feel cheated spending a bunch of money getting to the area I may have a tag for and not getting any meat in the freezer to show for it.

What about dog food? Do they carry any diseases that could be transferred to dogs?

Thanks.

Hmm:???:? Why would you put in for an leh GRIZZ tag knowing that most guys leave the carcass in the bush due to meat being undesirable and you wanting the meat (compensation for the money you spent?) I don't get your question.

However if you said Hey I applied for a grizz tag cause I want to KILL a Grizzly and get it mounted am curious what you guys do with the meat I hear it's bad is this true? This I could understand.:-D

Grizzly is a trophy hunt no matter how you spin it. Feeling cheated because you spent a bunch of money to hunt grizz and can't eat the meat :roll: Guess the 6 tags i have drawn and all the trips I've taken passing up bears looking for MR big i guess I too should feel cheated LMAO

Good luck on the draw.

W.

Matty_ola
02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
Hmm:???:? Why would you put in for an leh GRIZZ tag knowing that most guys leave the carcass in the bush due to meat being undesirable and you wanting the meat (compensation for the money you spent?) I don't get your question.

However if you said Hey I applied for a grizz tag cause I want to KILL a Grizzly and get it mounted am curious what you guys do with the meat I hear it's bad is this true? This I could understand.:-D

Grizzly is a trophy hunt no matter how you spin it. Feeling cheated because you spent a bunch of money to hunt grizz and can't eat the meat :roll: Guess the 6 tags i have drawn and all the trips I've taken passing up bears looking for MR big i guess I too should feel cheated LMAO

Good luck on the draw.

W.

Thanks, However please read my post again as I stated,
"So I put in for the LEH grizz draw and didn't think much about it till I was doing some cooking research online."

What happened was, I put in for the draw assuming (being my first grizz draw) that bear meat is bear meat right? The wife and I were talking and I was telling her I think If I get the draw I'll hunt with archery rather than a rifle. She was telling me how I have a death wish and how I don't love her anymore cause I'm going to leave her a widow.....and so on....

Anyway she asked me if the meat will be the same as the Black bear meat? Well..... I don't really know, I said. So on the intergoogle web machine I went and typed in grizzly bear recipes. Well, then I stated reading on a few dffrent forums and web pages that most hunters don't use the meat at all and hunt mostly for trophy.

And here I am asking how many of you guys use your Grizz meat and if it is indeed good eating.

So I guess you're right in that is should have said Hey I applied for a grizz tag cause I want to KILL a Grizzly and get it mounted am curious what you guys do with the meat I hear it's bad is this true? This I could understand.

Sorry I wan't more specific on my opening paragraph.

Matt.

afors
02-18-2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48664&highlight=grizzly+meat

Matty_ola
02-18-2011, 05:45 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=48664&highlight=grizzly+meat

Thanks great info.

I wonder if anyone knows if you can get meat tested at a local university? They should have the equipment for such tests and I imagine it would be a great test for biology students to see.

Hmmmmm... Might be worth looking into?

Anyone think of that already?

luckynuts
02-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Thanks, However please read my post again as I stated,
"So I put in for the LEH grizz draw and didn't think much about it till I was doing some cooking research online."

What happened was, I put in for the draw assuming (being my first grizz draw) that bear meat is bear meat right? The wife and I were talking and I was telling her I think If I get the draw I'll hunt with archery rather than a rifle. She was telling me how I have a death wish and how I don't love her anymore cause I'm going to leave her a widow.....and so on....

Anyway she asked me if the meat will be the same as the Black bear meat? Well..... I don't really know, I said. So on the intergoogle web machine I went and typed in grizzly bear recipes. Well, then I stated reading on a few dffrent forums and web pages that most hunters don't use the meat at all and hunt mostly for trophy.

And here I am asking how many of you guys use your Grizz meat and if it is indeed good eating.

Sorry I wan't more specific on my opening paragraph.

Matt.

No worries:-D Though your line about feeling cheated about spending a bunch of money to go hunting and not getting any meat made me reply.

W.

SHAKER
02-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks great info.

I wonder if anyone knows if you can get meat tested at a local university? They should have the equipment for such tests and I imagine it would be a great test for biology students to see.

Hmmmmm... Might be worth looking into?

Anyone think of that already?

Freeze it for 30 days and cook it well and you won't have any problems even if it has tricy-noses. Domestic pigs can have it too FYI.

Matty_ola
02-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Freeze it for 30 days and cook it well and you won't have any problems even if it has tricy-noses. Domestic pigs can have it too FYI.

I read an article and I can't remember where but the strain of Tric that is in bears is apparently not affected by being frozen for any length of time regardless of temp.

I'll try and find the article but I'm sure that was the case, Perhaps someone else knows... I think there are a few threads on it as well.

Ride Red
02-18-2011, 07:04 PM
A little info on Trichinosis. Read to the end of the page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

Will
02-18-2011, 08:49 PM
I've heard somewhere Grizz tastes better then Rutting Muleys.....:lol::lol::lol:

GRIZZEZE
02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
There is nothing wrong with spring grizz meat. The smoked hamms are great and I had the rest made into sausage. Everyone that try'd it said that they could not even tell that it was bear meat, let alone grizz. Every hunt is a meat hunt, sometimes you get a trophy as a bonus.

Barracuda
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
when do they post the results

Ambush
02-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Meat? Trophy??
Doesn't anyone hunt just for the fun of killing something anymore?

Will
02-18-2011, 10:01 PM
when do they post the results
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess NIL for mine.......:cry:

The 2011 Spring Grizzly Bear and 2011 Early Skeena Mountain Sheep have not been run. We expect to run these draws in mid February.
??????????

SHAKER
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Meat? Trophy??
Doesn't anyone hunt just for the fun of killing something anymore?

LOL...... ya Starlings! who can help them selves when a big flock flys by when you got a scatter gun in your hands. But old Ursus Horbilas needs a little more respect then that. Maybe someday we'll be able to hunt them not just do the luck of the draw bull $&^*(& but for the game animal he really is.

Camp Cook
02-18-2011, 10:15 PM
I feed my grizzly to another grizzly...

:)

SHAKER
02-19-2011, 12:25 AM
What a waste!

mbariesheff
02-19-2011, 12:57 AM
There are a few comments on people saying they leave the meat in the bush, I to have heard this from many people, and was wondering, is it not illegal to do so, I thought you had to pack out the meat, and could face charges if you were caught without the meat on the way home????

mbariesheff
02-19-2011, 12:58 AM
P.S I didn't get my draw this year either!!!

Old Crow
02-19-2011, 01:54 AM
There are a few comments on people saying they leave the meat in the bush, I to have heard this from many people, and was wondering, is it not illegal to do so, I thought you had to pack out the meat, and could face charges if you were caught without the meat on the way home????

The Grizz hunt is a trophy hunt, and you're not required to pack out the edible portions. That's part of the reason why the Anti's hate it so much, it's an easy target.
From the regs: See Division 12 (Section 35 is about removing all edible portions from the bush to a place of residence or a butchers)

http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/26_340_82#part_division12

Camp Cook
02-19-2011, 04:13 AM
What a waste!

We skinned it, packed the hide out, went back to the body it had been picked up (yep thats right not a single drag mark) and carried away we didn't go back into the thick bush were the body had been after that.

I'm thinking that the other grizzly that was able to pick that huge body up and carry it away wasn't thinking it was a waste...

:tongue:

Old Crow
02-19-2011, 05:10 AM
I find it fascinating that we shit all over wolves when they kill extra deer or Elk, and don't eat them, but when we, as Top Predator, kill and leave meat that we don't eat it's OK.
I never quite got this.

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 07:23 AM
We skinned it, packed the hide out, went back to the body it had been picked up (yep thats right not a single drag mark) and carried away we didn't go back into the thick bush were the body had been after that.

I'm thinking that the other grizzly that was able to pick that huge body up and carry it away wasn't thinking it was a waste...

I'm thinking that the other grizzly is the one you shoulda shot.....:-D

tikkatac
02-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I find it fascinating that we shit all over wolves when they kill extra deer or Elk, and don't eat them, but when we, as Top Predator, kill and leave meat that we don't eat it's OK.
I never quite got this.

Because people don't really give a rats ass about the wasted meat or life... All people see when wolves are out slaughtering ungulates is LOST hunting opportunities for them plain and simple.

BromBones
02-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Grizzly meat can be pretty good, especially smoked hams.

Ribs are tasty as well. Boil 'em up for a short time to soften them, and then bake over birch coals. Throw some green birch on the coals to give them a good smoke flavour, and throw on some salt & pepper.

Kinda makes me want to go kill another grizzly right now. :)

SHAKER
02-19-2011, 09:55 AM

Ahh that makes more sence... Did you ever get a look or see some tracks of the other bear?

Camp Cook
02-19-2011, 10:24 AM
We heard it as we were starting to head out of the bush sound was like a huge animal rubbing or dragging something against a tree.

We bumped into the local guide/outfitter told him exactly were we had shot the bear he tells me later in the summer that appr 2 weeks later after his last black bear hunters had left that he had headed into the spot and was chased out of the bush by the grizzly he saw its head when it stopped chasing him along the bush/tree line.

He described it in his heavy German accent like this "the head was like a brother to yours"...

I was working in the area again the next spring so we applied for and headed back in with 2 more LEH tags we didn't see another but a fellow a few miles away shot a huge grizzly not as big as mine but close.

Matty_ola
02-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Because people don't really give a rats ass about the wasted meat or life... All people see when wolves are out slaughtering ungulates is LOST hunting opportunities for them plain and simple.

You are so angry all the time:evil:

Skull Hunter
02-20-2011, 01:30 AM
I shot a young pure mountain grizz this past fall. I harvested some of the meat, but not all. I regret not taking more, and certainly will in the future. Some of the best wild game I've ever had. Marinaded the backstraps in a ginger/soy/blueberry marinade then threw them on the bbq. They were excellent!

rred
02-20-2011, 11:57 PM
I shot a young pure mountain grizz this past fall. I harvested some of the meat, but not all. I regret not taking more, and certainly will in the future. Some of the best wild game I've ever had. Marinaded the backstraps in a ginger/soy/blueberry marinade then threw them on the bbq. They were excellent!

Obviously bears vary in size, but how many lbs could you have potentially harvasted from a young Grizz like the one you shot?

SHAKER
02-21-2011, 09:17 AM

Wow..... I lost the link for it but you should read the Wolf study done in Yellowstone park!

And the *******s kill hounds!..... back to the grizz topic.

Camp Cook
02-21-2011, 09:32 AM
This thread is making me wish I had applied for a spring grizzly LEH...

Rifles I would take are my Marlin 1895GS 45-70 loaded with 350gr Swift A-Frames @ 2050fps and/or 525gr Beartooth WLNGC's @ 1600fps for my son to use around camp or if we are going into the thick bush after a grizzly we had just shot.

His main hunting rifle would be my 26" barreled Rem 700 LSS in 300RUM loaded with 200gr A-Frames @ 3200fps.

My hunting/camp/heading in after a bear rifle will be my shortened to 21" Rem 700 LSS in 375RUM loaded with 260gr Accubonds @ 3020fps when the scope is mounted and when I have the XS Sights ghost rear sight on it will be loaded with 350gr TSX @ 2450fps...

I'd also have my 21" barreled T/C Contender carbine in 375JDJ along loaded with 260gr Accubonds @ 2300fps and my new to me 50 cal Gonic Arms Contender carbine barrel loaded with 430gr conical slugs for black bear and grizzly if the opportunity presented itself...

Oh man... do I ever have cabin fever right now...

fusion
02-21-2011, 12:40 PM

Im sorry, but blueberries associated with bears = a purple stain in the middle of the road maybe smelling a little gingery in this case.