PDA

View Full Version : elk rut

quadrakid
07-07-2006, 07:31 PM
i,ve got the choice of doing my first elk foray to the east koots this year,my only options timewise are middle two weeks of sept or last week sept plus first week oct. i,d sure appreciate feedback. thanks

bochunk2000
07-07-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm not overly sure but I think the Elk rut early. You might be better off with the earlier 2 weeks. I hopr someone with more know how responds. Best of luck Steve.

Ron.C
07-07-2006, 07:39 PM
LAst year we had elk bugleing on the 3rd of September. I would go earlier than later. they will surely be in full rut by mid Sept.

Trapper
07-07-2006, 07:47 PM
middle of sept. forsure the bulls will be hot and heavy in the rut.
good luck.

Hilgy
07-07-2006, 07:52 PM
Everyone else is right in saying go early.That being said we have had elk talking in the first week in oct in both Kaslo and the Bull river areas.

The weather is a BIG factor. So sometimes its a crap shoot.

Walksalot
07-07-2006, 08:00 PM
Consult the Old Farmer's Alminac and look for a couple of weeks of cooler weather.:smile:

mainland hunter
07-07-2006, 08:50 PM
ive heard numerous tiimes that weather plays a small role but mostly it's triggered by the amount of daylight in a day. im no expert tho so correct me if im wrong but it should stay fairly close to the same time from year to year then

quadrakid
07-08-2006, 07:31 AM
thanks for your input guys, certainly helps a guy out.think i,ll be going mid 2 weeks sept, should be fun, only area of bc i,ve never been is the koots. thanks again.

boonerbuck
07-08-2006, 02:43 PM
ive heard numerous tiimes that weather plays a small role but mostly it's triggered by the amount of daylight in a day. im no expert tho so correct me if im wrong but it should stay fairly close to the same time from year to year then

Your are right about the time frame that the cows are receptive but weather plays a major role in success rate on the hunt.

You get hot weather and the elk are so damn hard to get at because they stick to the dark thick stuff. Colder the better. You have some nice cold nights and cool days, the action gets insane usually. Hot weather... they get tight lipped and hang tight.

chevy
07-08-2006, 06:14 PM
I live in sparwood b.c and i can tell you most of the majority of elk that were taken last year and good bulls might i add were taken anywhere from sept 10 to the 22 the rut is in full swing around the 15 here in the elk valley (east kootenays)