PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan 2011

fozzy
02-17-2011, 11:21 PM
I didn't see this posted yet but most who hunt there know it was coming.

Canadian residents wanting to hunt Saskatchewanwill have to enter their draw. Draw application will be on-line only from May 1st to May 31st. All applicants will be drawn for 2011!

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=0e8f3317-71d5-49e1-abdc-803d7ba7d3c8

Now if only they would open up the draws to allow Canadian residents to apply for antlered Mulie hunts.

cainer
02-17-2011, 11:42 PM
still kinda sucks as you have to pick one zone and then hunt in it the entire time. WTF. And i'm guessing you have to cough up the 150 bucks in May as well-then hopefully you can make it out there at the end of Nov-and if you can't-SOL

Tenacious Billy
02-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Now if only they would open up the draws to allow Canadian residents to apply for antlered Mulie hunts.

That would be sweet.....but I can see that being a strong catalyst for "non-residents" pushing harder for more expansive hunting rights in this province. Me thinks that's an idea the majority of residents wouldn't be too thrilled about.......

bighornbob
02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Me thinks a lot of the little towns that get that extra cash influx for one week from all the non-residents buying gas, staying in motels and eating at restarants will be the real losers buy this decision.

BHB

Elkaholic
02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Also if you read it, it says that this year EVERY person who applies will be drawn. In following years other restrictions may be put into place. Edit: Me being the super idiot I am didn't see the big bolded text at the top.... please disregard my temporary mental illness lol

Rodd
02-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks for Posting Fozzy! Damn hard for people to commit to a trip as it is, let alone in May!! But I suppose only the die-hards will be there, and they will sell less licences as a result. I'll donate my money even if i can't make it... The one zone thing is kinda crappy! Where I hunt I have baits in 2 zones... So I guess I have to decide which side of the road I really want to hunt on... Hmmm. Start thinking about it now...... But At least I get to hunt there, and for that I'm grateful....

Rackmastr
02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
My folks have a cabin at Turtle Lake, SK and I plan on heading over there this year if all works out well.

My main decision will be the northern bush country or the southern farmland/pasture country. The cabin is kinda right in between the two zones so it will be tough to choose!

Course, I'll be hitting Alberta for sure...and hope to head the north country for the big bush country deer!

bighornbob
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Who knows this may be just a trial to see where all the guys are going. If this website is any indication, I am sure there are locals in saskatchewan that claim thousands of hunters from all across Canada come and hunt in their area and no where else.

I am sure some areas get hit harder then others but it will be interesting to see where all the hunters go.

If the numbers show the hunters are spread out enough they may continue the "everyone gets a tag" option. If one area gets pounded hard or has a bad winter then they can lower the amount of tgas in that area and the rest will be a "everyone gets a tag" option.

BHB

leadpillproductions
02-18-2011, 01:25 PM
I allways wanted to go hunt over there but have know idea where to go hunt over there , long way to go and guess where to go. Any one what to set a hunt up .

fozzy
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
As I understand it some of the zones get hit pretty hard. This way they can regulate it a little closer.
The area we hunt is also on a border of two zones, oh well there is enough deer there to just pick one zone.

budismyhorse
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
when I was down there in Nov the locals thought this was a terrible idea.........they equated it to some farmers complaining too many guys hunt in one area while there are MORE who complain about no one hunting their land.

The problem I see is you can't manually distribute hunters this way......there is a reason why hunters are going to specific areas.......if they don't get drawn to hunt "their patch".......many just aren't going to make the trip.

heading into unfamiliar territory or dense muley country with no permission and no idea where to go/stay isn't appealing to many hunters I've talked with. They simply will stay home.

Most of the poorly subscribed land doesn't have the numbers of whiteys and hunters know this.

SHAKER
02-18-2011, 02:08 PM
We talked to a CO over there this year and he wasn't thrilled about it either.... he didn't want to comment too much but he did comment that allot of the concern was along the Alberta border area's. Pretty easy for people from area's like Loyd to shoot their alberta buck and jump over too the other side and wack their Saskasnatchachew'n buck without the Govn't people really knowing whats going on. Just what I heard this year. But yes this draw thing is going to suck! them zones a pretty small in the farm land area's.

houndogger
02-18-2011, 02:21 PM
Probably just a couple radicals as we have on here not wanting non residents having a possibility of shooting their deer.:wink:

Island Redneck
02-18-2011, 02:33 PM
I talked to the farmer who's land I hunt on and he has 13 sections and it is in 3 different zones, so I will have to choose what section of the farm I want to hunt on before the draw. Boy its going to be a screw up. I think this is going to cost a lot of small Town bussinesses a lot of money.

SHAKER
02-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Probably just a couple radicals as we have on here not wanting non residents having a possibility of shooting their deer.:wink:

Logical but apparently NO. It'a about supossed to be a concern in the border area's, alberta manitoba borders...... Just what I've heard from the CO this year. Outfitters are something that I heard are also fighting for this but I do not have anything to back this up at this time and don't want to and WILL not get into a debate about this.

houndogger
02-19-2011, 06:45 AM
Yup like I said just some radicals that can't get their deer anymore cause all the BC guys are killing them all...no different then what the bridgers and fishers and goats are crying about here...:mrgreen:

CanuckShooter
02-19-2011, 07:01 AM
As I understand it some of the zones get hit pretty hard. This way they can regulate it a little closer.
The area we hunt is also on a border of two zones, oh well there is enough deer there to just pick one zone.

How do they regulate their First Nations hunters?? Last time I heard even Metis could hunt in Sask.....CO said it was even OK to shoot a moose by moonlight if you were in northern sask???

Tenacious Billy
02-19-2011, 01:40 PM

So then do you think non-resident Canadians should have open season on some of the animals in B.C?

silvicon
02-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Anyone not residing in Saskatchewan should be forced to use a registered and licensed GO.
That should be for any province and territory.

houndogger
02-19-2011, 10:18 PM
So then do you think non-resident Canadians should have open season on some of the animals in B.C?

Nope I think it should be just as it is now. I just find it funny how alot complain on non resident hunting in B.C. But as soon as you can't go to Sask it's a huge deal!

Tenacious Billy
02-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Nope I think it should be just as it is now. I just find it funny how alot complain on non resident hunting in B.C. But as soon as you can't go to Sask it's a huge deal!

Agreed.........

02-20-2011, 01:50 AM

What a concept, a limited number of non-resident tags awarded by a LEH non-resident draw as DIY hunts in specific areas of BC with no guide-outfitter required (to come off the non-resident allocation of course). An idea that could generate significant funds for small town rural BC.

Wyoming reserves 40% of their non-resident tags for non-resident DIY hunters available through their draw system to anyone that applies. The other 60% of the non-resident tags go to outfitters. The state claims the GDP generated by the DIY hunts as well as the economic benefits to rural communities is significantly larger than from the guided hunts, with a much lower cost to the resource since the success rate is much lower.

Maybe we should push this, great idea.

Tenacious Billy
02-20-2011, 02:52 AM
What a concept, a limited number of non-resident tags awarded by a LEH non-resident draw as DIY hunts in specific areas of BC with no guide-outfitter required (to come off the non-resident allocation of course). An idea that could generate significant funds for small town rural BC.

Wyoming reserves 40% of their non-resident tags for non-resident DIY hunters available through their draw system to anyone that applies. The other 60% of the non-resident tags go to outfitters. The state claims the GDP generated by the DIY hunts as well as the economic benefits to rural communities is significantly larger than from the guided hunts, with a much lower cost to the resource since the success rate is much lower.

Maybe we should push this, great idea.

Interesting.....but sounds like you've given it more thought that me. I was sort of asking the question rhetorically....:wink:

ufishifish2
02-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Damn. I was hoping to make my first Saskatchewan trip this year, but knowing little about the area I would have planned to cover a lot of ground before finding a spot to set up and hunt. This just makes things more difficult. Guess I'll just spend my $$ in BC hunting Sheep instead! It really is a no-brainer anyways. Maybe I'll hit Saskatchewan when my legs don't work so well!

huntersam
02-20-2011, 01:08 PM
anyone know the costs needed to be paid to apply ?

SHAKER
02-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Agreed.........

One difference is that the local people out there welcome you with open arms! Motel owners cater to anything you need, resturants, stores, locals walking by all want to talk. Local hunters are usually very friendly wanting to hear about hunting in B.C. and will tell you about a "good buck" over on cousin Billy's place.

"I've learned to loath the deer around here" quote from one of the farmers we talk to every year. In allot of area's they have tons of deer and the locals don't want them!

We talk to almost any farmer with posted land and get the same responce "your from B.C. well you can hunt this section, that section, thats my cousins so you can hunt that, thats cousin bills, thats aunt Freedas...thats third cousin removed 9 times Gerry you can hunt that blah, blah, blah" The high pressure of the border area's were the ones of concern apparently.

Sask. is a little different then B.C. as far as access to huntable land.... we often get a forest service road with some spures to access huntable ground that will support wildlife. The flat land has HUGE amounts of wildlife habitat in comparison with good game populations mixed threw out.

Sask or any other province people for that matter can come and hunt here too... If you do meet someone out there that wants to hunt here just apply for a hunter host permit and take them out.

GoatGuy
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Interesting to see the perceived impact on folks.

What happens if 4 guys put in and only 1 gets drawn?

SHAKER
02-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Then probably none of them go!

To shorten things up a bit on my previous post... Theirs lots for everyone and your allowed a whitetailed deer! buck, doe, fawn what ever!

dukester
02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
Interesting to see the perceived impact on folks.

What happens if 4 guys put in and only 1 gets drawn?

everyone will be drawn for this 2011 season,

kevan
02-26-2011, 09:57 PM
Anyone not residing in Saskatchewan should be forced to use a registered and licensed GO.

Thats a ridiculous statement...

SHAKER
02-26-2011, 11:07 PM

Looks good if your a guide!........ I still think their should be NO non resident hunting if we're on LEH for that hunt here in B.C.! Ha:twisted:

Springer
03-01-2011, 09:25 AM
As far as the comments go about not being able to hunt wherever you want in Saskatchewan is no different than a non-res coming into BC on permit to accompany. You put the zone you will hunt on your application and you are only authorized to hunt that zone and for set time period.

juiceterboost
03-15-2011, 02:31 PM
I just found an interesting report on the economic impact of out of province hunters and non resident hunts thought you guys might like it.

www.environment.gov.sk.ca/.../adxGetMedia.aspx?...Hunting... (http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx/aspx/adxGetMedia.aspx?DocID=350,246,94,88,Documents&MediaID=146&Filename=Economic+Evaluation+of+Hunting.pdf&l=English)

dukester
03-15-2011, 08:13 PM
guys get you butts over here an hunt whitetails,, serious its the best in the world. forest fringe areas of the prov hold high buck #no.. Prince Albert, Meadow Lake areas are a start. We are in a slow spring with cold tepms, this is not good news for deer, we have high mortality in some zones. S/E is getting hit hard. dead deer in farm yards and feed lots. Read your Big Buck Mag and mark on the map where bucks are taken you will soon see some patterns. :)

Whonnock Boy
03-27-2011, 07:55 PM
Spoke with my uncle who lives in Saskatchewan today about many things including this topic. He was unaware of this. He thought that maybe it was a good idea. He has heard stories of lots of guys coming and buying their tags at the local Canadian Tire with false information. He also knows of some "mother puckers" that come out from Victoria that shoot everything, only taking the largest animals. He reported them. Receives a phone call from the CO's that were at that very moment flying the area looking for the group. Directed them to where they were but still did not get them. You don't even want to know about the FN issues he told me about.

Anyway, I am going to put in for an authorization. He gave me a few zones to choose from. I guess the only downfall is the one zone hunting. I will see how my season goes here before I commit to a trip out there. Most of my extended family lives on the prairies. If anything it would be a great visit.

cainer
03-27-2011, 09:53 PM
As far as the comments go about not being able to hunt wherever you want in Saskatchewan is no different than a non-res coming into BC on permit to accompany. You put the zone you will hunt on your application and you are only authorized to hunt that zone and for set time period.

Yeah, but when the sections you have permission to hunt in are only open for 6 days -it can make it rather difficult to connect. as opposed to 21 days here

valleycowboy
03-28-2011, 03:30 PM
guys get you butts over here an hunt whitetails,, serious its the best in the world. forest fringe areas of the prov hold high buck #no.. Prince Albert, Meadow Lake areas are a start. We are in a slow spring with cold tepms, this is not good news for deer, we have high mortality in some zones. S/E is getting hit hard. dead deer in farm yards and feed lots. Read your Big Buck Mag and mark on the map where bucks are taken you will soon see some patterns. :)

hey dukester......is this an open invite?lol

triggr31
04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
i grew up in sask and im pissed off about this because now if i go down with four guys i have to take all those deer out of one zone killing my areas where as i guided my friends and family all over the province every year spreading out and taking one mature buck out of each zone . Now picture that possibly this year a whole bunch of locals also show up there that zone will just get hammered its happened before . I especially remember when milo harvested his buck in biggar sask that area was hammered for so many years after . I grew up in that area and have seen the decreases and increases due to pressure . I wrote a letter to the ministry of enviroment explaining my concerns . I hope this thing gets abolished but its going to need all of you to voice your opinions . There is a certain publishing in sask that has been pushing this for years we need to voice back now .This is just going to have a negative impact on the deer herds in certain zones . I have several farms to hunt but they are all connected in one area . I have always assessed the areas i hunt in the spring and summer and early fall to see where the bachelor herds are strong . Ive done this for many years with my family .

triggr31
04-05-2011, 08:03 PM
I think the higher rates for tags would be enough for me .Hunters spend money wherever they go and it helps economies everywhere and lets not forget we are all canadians . we dont need to be guided there so why does bc require guided hunts here for canadians residents . The power of the guides of bc .I think it should be an option if you want or need a guide then hire one . 9 times out of ten they will hire a guide . But there are those hunters that move for work but still want to hunt in their home province and are slammed with rules and political crap. We act like we are separate countries have some canadian pride people . Always that greed at every avenue and it ends up hurting the rest of us .

triggr31
05-02-2011, 08:52 PM
This has become an issue because of the quebec people coming and flooding the hudson bay area and shell lake areas . But yet it affects all of us . These areas by history were great areas to harvest animals

fozzy
05-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Just a reminder folks, the Saskatchewan draw application must be filled in on-line for Canadian residents and closes May 31st :)
https://secure.gov.sk.ca/biggame/default.asp

Neff
05-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Not pleased! $140 up front, by the end of May to hunt the end of November!
What if I get my Buffalo draw? I have miss a trip to Sask AND lose $140!
Bring back the old way please. Or charge me the $4 draw fee now and the rest of the $140 when the season draws near and I know I can go.
All because Big Buck magazine triggers the uninformed to swarm a zone or two causing the residents to complain.

If someone knows a way to reserve a tag without coughing up the full $140 I'd love to hear it.