PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking tent help.

Rob
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Having gone through the threads on tents im still having a hard time deciding.
Im looking for a 3 season, 2 door,2 good size vestibule tent with fly. under 6lbs. Looking to spend around $400. This would be a backpacking tent. The reason for the big vestibulesis so my j107 or my dog(if wet & stinky) has enough room. Any comments are appreciated.

KevinB
02-17-2011, 10:38 PM
I assume youre' looking for a standard double walled tent? I just bought a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 from Grouse River Outfitters to replace my old worn out North Face roadrunner, they are $100 bucks more than you said but I think it will be a very good tent. You should also look at the MSR Hubba Hubba for around $400. They both have 2 doors/2 vestibules and have recieved pretty decent reviews across the board, and they're both very light for their category.

Rob
02-17-2011, 10:48 PM
I was looking at the Marmot Twilight 2p but its about 10' wide from vestbule to vestibule. Comes with footprint and gear loft for about $300 Can. Just looking for a buy once good tent.

mod7rem
02-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Here is something to consider, I have been using three season tents for a long time on hiking trips, backpack hunting trips and even trips where we flew into a lake and camped on the lake. On a sheep trip 4 years ago my brother and our hunting partner were staying in a 4 season while I was in a small 3 season tent in aug. 3 season tents are drafty and here in BC even in the summer, nights can be cool especially in the mountains. In a 3 season you spend most of your time in your bag. With a well made 4 season you can open the vents and have drafts if you want or you can close it up and lounge around without having to zip up in the bag to keep warm. A few years ago my brother was going to buy a tent so I convinced him to buy a hilleberg nallo 3 gt, its a 4 season 3-man tent that I believe weighs in at around 6 lbs and it is a hell of a lot more versatile than a 3 season with only a little more weight.

Rob
02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Here is something to consider, I have been using three season tents for a long time on hiking trips, backpack hunting trips and even trips where we flew into a lake and camped on the lake. On a sheep trip 4 years ago my brother and our hunting partner were staying in a 4 season while I was in a small 3 season tent in aug. 3 season tents are drafty and here in BC even in the summer, nights can be cool especially in the mountains. In a 3 season you spend most of your time in your bag. With a well made 4 season you can open the vents and have drafts if you want or you can close it up and lounge around without having to zip up in the bag to keep warm. A few years ago my brother was going to buy a tent so I convinced him to buy a hilleberg nallo 3 gt, its a 4 season 3-man tent that I believe weighs in at around 6 lbs and it is a hell of a lot more versatile than a 3 season with only a little more weight.

Sweet tent 4 sure. Love to own one.But its double what im looking for.
Ive got a good bag so i dont mind having a 3 season.

BlacktailStalker
02-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Look at the MSRs for that price range.

spear
02-17-2011, 11:46 PM
MSR HUBBA HUBBA, best in that price/weight range hands down, you can also buy an optional vestibule extension that is big enough for two packs and large dog incase the vestibule offered isn't big enough. Great Tent

Buck
02-18-2011, 12:19 AM
The hubba Hubba hp looks like a great tent,I think you can tear the inside wall down to prevent it from getting wet when you want to move or set up in bad conditions.Price is good right around $400.00 i believe.Maybe someone who has one can confirm setting up in the rain.

Rob
02-18-2011, 01:28 AM
MSR HUBBA HUBBA, best in that price/weight range hands down, you can also buy an optional vestibule extension that is big enough for two packs and large dog incase the vestibule offered isn't big enough. Great Tent

Ive looked at this. The Gear shed plus the foot print adds a quick $200 to the price of the tent.

Devilbear
02-18-2011, 07:36 AM
I agree with "mod7rem" on this and would try to find the coin to buy a Hilleberg or at least an MSR four season tent for any hunting uses. I have had quite a few tents and spent some long periods living in them and the "three season" models are really best used and intended for climates much less variable and harsh than BC's can be in hunting season.

Hillebergs are the finest tents I have ever used and so superior to any others that I will no longer buy anything else. I would suggest an "Allak" for what you want or one of the "Nallo" models. I have a "Soulo" for solo camping and a "Saivo" for basecamps and the latter, in particular, is just an awesome shelter and one I woulr trust in any weather.

KodiakHntr
02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
MSR Hubba Hubba Hp.....

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/Sheep%20Hunting/Sheeptrip2010012.jpg

Inside of the tent, one sleeping pad, one barrel bag. Unless your dog is a lap dog, you will not be putting two guys and a dog in here. And you better be on REALLY good terms with the other guy in the first place.

You can get past a pack in the vestibule, but it isn't an easy tent to get in and out of. Especially if its raining?

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/Sheep%20Hunting/Sheeptrip2010013.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc182/KodiakHntr2/Sheep%20Hunting/inside_the_hubba2.jpg

grizzlydueck
02-18-2011, 09:09 AM
Hey bud -if you want to get a hardcore tent =that will out last-and better built than huba and the others ...check out the mountain hardware skyledge 2.1 or the new 3 man -ultra light -the bottom is 3 times thicker than the huba -same design -all 1\4 inch webbing=not 1inch like some others-the color is a earth tone not a bright yellow or orange-hardware is refective at night with a headlamp =soo nice coming down the mountain in the dark and your tent glows -ultra light poles -the pegs are also the bomb-wait till you see how there made !-etc ....footprints ? my opinion =there a waste of time and money -a fly and a foot print ? thats a fancy tarp! do you want a tent or a tarp ! i'm into having the misqitoes-spiders and mice out side my sleeping area! but, thats just me !-Anyway -have been a backpack\fly in guide for many years and an avid backpacker -I'm an avid gear guru and the hardware- new and improved skyledge models, rock ! these designs are great in the 2.1- two people snug but comf-each person has their own door and vestibule with enough room for your pack and rifle under cover! a 2 person tent for basicly the same weight as 2 bivy sacks-but twice the floor space! The only thing that takes getting used to is the high wall, bath tub design on the 2.1 and hubba =keeps the breeze out making it a warmer 3season but takes some getting used to, getting in and out ! If you order online from rei your first order with a new membership gives you a super discount also check out serri trading post for great deals ! {not putting msr hubba or others down ...but i drive a toyota ! ]
cheers !

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Im in the same boat , still thinking about trying a find a tent on budget . I think i would rather have a four season for my new tent , The hilliberg would be great im sure , but the price is hard to get past . i asked this same question on the sheep packing weight thread and MSR HUBBA BUBBA keep coming up . i dont want to get another three season tent and find out that its not what i wanted , id rather be over kill with my tent and stay warm and dry if the weather gets bad . All the high end stuff is always 700 or more to buy these days .and trying to find a good used one could be a gamble buying unseen off ebay or a gear exchange , iv been browsing the M.E.C. used section , Theres some good deals there , people looking to dump there gear .at least if i see a tent or something in the province i could drive to go see it .

grizzlydueck
02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Hey- golden top sniper -is that your grizz in the pic at reg and phills taxidermy shop ? Im hoping to get the grizz draw in your area-where i used to guide-using the bow! -will find out soon ! I talked my hunting partner into a mtn hard ware tent and he bought a 4 season job -we did a fly in caribou\ moose hunt and the tent was amazing -untill you live in one rained out for days on end! you don't realize how some designs are so great -spent 3 rained out days in an cabela's xpg -Was guiding up the saint mary's- took the horses way up! 5 days trapped in that piece of shtt -my client and i were so disgusted !

Flingin' Sticks
02-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I picked up a Mountain Hardware Hammerhead tent last year, and I couldn't be happier. Used it on Robson on Thanksgiving (not terribly cold by mountain standards, but windy as hell), and it held up great. two vestibules (and yes, they do fit packs), two doors, and zip off panels inside make it a 3 1/2 season tent as far as I'm concerned (classified as a 3 season, but I wouldn't hesitate to take it out in the winter). with a footprint, you're probably looking at $400 or so.

mod7rem
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Rob, the reason I suggest spending the extra money is because you mentioned wanting to get a "buy it once tent". Every mountain hunt I have been on we get rained on(which means cold), snowed on(cold), windy(cold) and this is in august. We have also had 28 C during the day and wake up to frost in the mornings. A well made 4-season will handle it all, and you wont have to spend hours and sometimes days in your sleeping bag with it zipped up to your neck waiting out bad weather because 3-season tents do not hold heat very well. In the right tent you can lounge on top of your bag reading a book or playing cards with your hunting partner. In my mind the extra cost would be forgotten about pretty quickly.

muledeercrazy
02-18-2011, 01:20 PM
Rob, the reason I suggest spending the extra money is because you mentioned wanting to get a "buy it once tent". Every mountain hunt I have been on we get rained on(which means cold), snowed on(cold), windy(cold) and this is in august. We have also had 28 C during the day and wake up to frost in the mornings. A well made 4-season will handle it all, and you wont have to spend hours and sometimes days in your sleeping bag with it zipped up to your neck waiting out bad weather because 3-season tents do not hold heat very well. In the right tent you can lounge on top of your bag reading a book or playing cards with your hunting partner. In my mind the extra cost would be forgotten about pretty quikely.

hi, thanks for you input into this thread. I have been looking at a new tent as well, so i am getting some mileage out of the advice. I was thinking MSR or Mountain Hardware. Now i am taking a closer look at the Hilleberg tents. Are they freestanding, and is the floor integral? In the two man tunnel type tents like the Kaitum, it doesnt seem like it would be free standing. I am just wondering what it would be like to have a tent that wasnt, as i have allways had freestanding tents.

I am replacing a older north face tent and looking to cut down on weight if i can, but really want a 3 season or better 2 man tent as well.

bigwhiteys
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
hi, thanks for you input into this thread. I have been looking at a new tent as well, so i am getting some mileage out of the advice. I was thinking MSR or Mountain Hardware. Now i am taking a closer look at the Hilleberg tents. Are they freestanding, and is the floor integral? In the two man tunnel type tents like the Kaitum, it doesnt seem like it would be free standing. I am just wondering what it would be like to have a tent that wasnt, as i have allways had freestanding tents.
Many of the Hilleberg tents are free-standing, however the Kaitum or Kaitum GT are not. The floor is part of the tent though.

One big difference aside from the design/usability of Hilleberg tents and standard nylon DWR coated tents is the Kerlon fabric Hille uses. Both sides of the Kerlon are coated with silicone, 3 layers in total. Water just beads off and the fabric is very strong. They can send you fabric samples that show the tear strength between standard fabrics and theirs. I am very impressed with Hilleberg. MSR, North Face, ID, all these companies make fantastic tents, and jackets, sleeping bags, etc.. etc... Hilleberg specializes in making tents.

Carl

muledeercrazy
02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Carl. I dont know if i want a tent that isnt free standing, ill have to check out some of their other models

Krico
02-18-2011, 02:00 PM
3 season in your price range I'd check out the Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 3.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Skyledge%E2%84%A2-3/OU9473,default,pd.html

Devilbear
02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Hilleberg tents are so far beyond ANY others that comparison is a waste of time; the fine ID tents are good, but, will not cope with cold, wet conditions as well as Hilles. will. The North Face tents are mediocre and MSR are better, but, not even close to Hillebergs. This is from actually living in these tents for weeks at a stretch all over BC in every month of the year, Hilleberg's blow anything else away.

I prefer free-standing tents and have only one "tunnel" tent, my ID "Mega Sola"; the Hille. Jannu would be my first choice as a hunting base tent for one and the Allak or maybe a Tarra for two. I mentioned the Allak for those wanting two doors and, with the Saivo, these are the models I consider best for hunting uses.

For weight relative to space, the ID tents are the best choice, but, they are relatively hard to erect in rain, tend to be pretty small and can develop some condensation issues, not hard to cope with, but, sometimes a bit of a pita.

For shortterm winter camping, I prefer and use my ID MKI-XL and for hunting, my Hille. Soulo or ID Mega Sola on shorter trips. For longer trips, a Hille. tarp and Saivo, Tarra or Jannu are the best option and if you look after these, you will get a lifetime of normal use from them.

GOLDEN TOP SNIPER
02-18-2011, 03:38 PM
Nope, thats a Kamchatka Peninsula Bear that belongs to G.O. here in town . taken by him many years ago . i dont have the stats on hand , But its huge thats for sure , and yes Reg and Phil did the mount . i dont have any more photos of it . The Marmont Thor looked intersting to me , havent found many reveiws of anywhere . Also heard the Marmot Peapod is a good one too . I think i would go with M.H. theres some good info on trailspace.com sometimes, but id rather have a fellow hunters reveiw on something over a Backpacker/Hiker .

troutseeker
02-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I think that Mountain Hardwear Skyledge 21. would do just fine. No sense breaking the bank on a Hilleberg if you don't have tons of cash to throw around. Sure they're nice, maybe "the best" lol, but come on, we are talking about a tent for crying out loud!!!

Just get out there and have fun, any of the tents mentioned will keep you dry. Sure some a VW's instead of Rolls Royce, but the point is to get out there, not ot have the greatest amount of the finest gear laying around...

digger dogger
02-18-2011, 10:27 PM
This is my MSR tent it's about 5-6 yrs old now and is still waterproof and I use no foot print. it's called a zoid, or zoid 2, I don't think they make the zoid, but I would buy another MSR tent like it. weighs 4.4 lbs. the pics came out blurry but you can get the idea of the shape. It stands up great in high winds, and has a vent for some of the condensation..
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstikpics245-1.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstikpics242-1.jpg

Devilbear
02-18-2011, 10:38 PM
The point is to have what really works when you encounter an unexpected severe storm as my buddy and I did on opening day in 2006 in the East Kootenays and then at the same time on a long horsepack in 2007 in the South Chilcotin. Most of us who have extensive personal mountain experience do not have our gear ...laying around... as it takes less top quality gear to accomplish a given objective, as in a 3-4 week solo snow camp in the West Kootenay mountains. something I have done several times because I enjoy it.

I recognize that many posters are not interested in alpine backpacking or hunting in remote and potentially dangerous areas, however, it is not wise to push the limits of safety in wilderness as I often saw during my years of working in such regions. So, while some may ...lol... and suggest that owning/using top quality gear is somehow a waste of money as it may be for them, I do not agree, a Hilleberg tent is a worthwhile investment if one is going to engage in real mountain hunting and other such activities.

Many 3 season tents will not keep you dry in severe storms and I have had my North Face VE become soaked inside and have had other tents become very uncomfortable after one night of use, not fun on a week long trip. YMMV, but, that's my experience.

Devilbear
02-18-2011, 10:42 PM
That country in Digger-Dogger's post pix looks just like the area around Bowser Lake, I spent 3 months alone in the mountains there in 1972 and it was a fantastic experience. I love that open alpine ridge terrain as one can walk and see, not like busting your gut pushing through the Devil's Club and Buckbrush in the West Kootenays.

Where, exactly is that?

digger dogger
02-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Dewey, that is Tatsenshini. 6 hrs from our base camp. Up hill the whole way, and only a half hour to the ridges and goat/sheep trails. once you get outta the s**t you can move at a surprizingly fast rate.. we got snowed on in Spatsizi in this tent, not alot but it faired very well. Another thing I like about the smaller tents is the warmth they hold in.
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstikpics353.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstikpics367.jpg

Buck
02-19-2011, 12:39 AM
Dewey, that is Tatsenshini. 6 hrs from our base camp. Up hill the whole way, and only a half hour to the ridges and goat/sheep trails. once you get outta the s**t you can move at a surprizingly fast rate.. we got snowed on in Spatsizi in this tent, not alot but it faired very well. Another thing I like about the smaller tents is the warmth they hold in.
http://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstikpics353.jpghttp://i556.photobucket.com/albums/ss9/diggerdogger/allmemstikpics367.jpg

That picture on the left looks bloody magnificent it must have been really something standing there.

Buck
02-19-2011, 12:53 AM
I am wondering is there a testing criteria or governing body that tests tents? Or is it just like Backpacker Magazine and field users and the tent manufactures that test there own tents.Any good links to some serious evaluations of the various tents.All i ever see is Hearsay.

ytlogger
02-19-2011, 01:11 AM
Does anyone sell Hilleberg in BC or Alberta?

troutseeker
02-19-2011, 02:47 AM
Does anyone sell Hilleberg in BC or Alberta?

Nope, that would be too easy... You can get them from the US.

Devilbear
02-19-2011, 08:11 AM
I am wondering is there a testing criteria or governing body that tests tents? Or is it just like Backpacker Magazine and field users and the tent manufactures that test there own tents.Any good links to some serious evaluations of the various tents.All i ever see is Hearsay.

There is really nothing of this sort that I am aware of and most testing would still involve the "human factor" in any case, so, the opinions of experienced users is all one has to go on when deciding what to buy/use. This can be frustrating where very costly gear is concerned and I have been "burned" more than once, but, I would point out the fact that Hille. tents get rave reviews from everyone who uses them and that says something, to me.

I am not trying to make it seems as though one must have a Hille. or ID before one can backpack hunt in BC's mountains. My sole purpose in posting on these is to assist others to "buy once" and be satisfied for a very long time. I hope to help others to not have to go through the long "learning curve" that I did as gear was nowhere near what it is now when I started.

There was a Hille. dealer in Alberta a couple of years ago, but, they sold off the remainder of the stock they had and went out of it, no idea why. I buy mine from Bear River Outfitters in Utah and have bought three tents and other gear from him with total satisfaction.

A person should constantly check American backpacking and hunting sites as I often do, looking for rifle parts and I have seen some sweet deals on as new packs, tents and so forth. This is one way to get a highend tent that you cannot afford to pay new price for.

Fosey
02-19-2011, 10:18 AM
I was in Reno last week at the Wild Sheep Foundation convention and there was a store from Anchorage Alaska there selling Hilleberg tents. He told me he would send merchandise as a gift so no duty or tax paid. Check his website www.barneysports.com. He had a one person tent there so I presume he has more.

ytlogger
02-19-2011, 02:24 PM
I was in Reno last week at the Wild Sheep Foundation convention and there was a store from Anchorage Alaska there selling Hilleberg tents. He told me he would send merchandise as a gift so no duty or tax paid. Check his website www.barneysports.com (http://www.barneysports.com). He had a one person tent there so I presume he has more.

Yeah, I know about Barney's. I just like to buy in Canada when ever it makes sense. Thanks though.

muledeercrazy
02-23-2011, 12:21 AM
I have emailed Bear River repeatedly for a quote on several items and gotten no response. I will take a look at them again. I was looking at Hilleberg tents on the Hilleberg site and it says they only ship Fed-Ex, and i will not under any circumstanses take delivery from those criminals. lol, at least i would never purposely make an order to be delivered throught them.

Devilbear
02-23-2011, 08:21 AM
I totally agree and Charlie Jennings of Bear River always ships USPS-Canada Post to me and other Canuck customers. I have no idea what the situation with the e-mails might be, he was very ill with a chest cold a week or so ago, but, phoned me on Saturday last and seemed OK.

I would call him at 435-764-1111 and leave a message, I am sure you will be happy with his service, among the best I have ever received. A Hille. tent will last a LONG time, maybe one guy's hunting life if you look after it and the comfort of these in really crappy weather has to be experienced.

02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Devilbear,

Are there a big import tariffs on Hilleberg tents since they are made in Europe? I know on some items like boots made in Germany you get hammered tariffs on top of HST by customs.

Devilbear
02-23-2011, 11:02 AM
I honestly don't recall just what extra I paid when the three I ordered from Charlie were delivered. You might call Canada Border Services and enquire of them to see what the facts are.

To me, simply, the costs are worth paying to use a Hille. tent.

02-23-2011, 11:46 AM
I was going to get mine delivered to the post office on the border, that way I should only be dinged the HST when I pick it up and bring it across.

bigwhiteys
02-23-2011, 01:00 PM
I was going to get mine delivered to the post office on the border, that way I should only be dinged the HST when I pick it up and bring it across.

Hilleberg tents because they are made in Estonia are supposed to be charged an 18% tariff on top of the 12% HST. So technically 30% more.

When my Hille tent arrived, they never charged me a dime, just shows the inconsistencies of our postal system, be prepared to get dinged though!

Carl

lnelson
02-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Don't know where you are but AAI in Bellingham, WA carries them. All I paid was my HST when I brought it back across the border.

BCbillies
02-23-2011, 09:48 PM
I have my Canada Customs reciept in front of me. When I ordered my Hille from Charlie in 2008 I paid no duty and no excise tax. All told the taxes/handling fees were minimal (less than $40).

Fred1
01-11-2015, 03:53 PM
Here is an old thread... But here I am in the market to replace my old tent, I may have been in this market for years now that I look at Old Blue... I don't even know what brand Blue is anymore but hes heavy - all the duct tape patches from attending dozens of rugby tournaments doesnt help that... So Im out and about on the weekend and I spot a guy with a tent in his yard?? Its half buried in the snow - it looks like a cool tent... After drive by three I have to stop in. Santa brought him a nice new Hilleberg Anjan2 for xmas!! Now for the past 4 months or so I have read all the posts here and tent reviews on just about everything. (If you have researched anything like this you know how much info is out there). Here is my take on the Hilleberg.... Its nothing short of AWESOME!! In my opinion, and I have been looking, the quality of the Hilleberg is way beyond all this hubba, big agnes, north face, msr etc etc! This thing is very very well made! It was dry inside and still very sturdy covered in the heavy wet Okanagan snow. Impressive! Apparently a few years back this guy was on an alpine hunt and two of them were caught in a two day storm. His brother had the above mentioned Hillerberg and he was in one of the other above mentioned brands - the snow and wind crushed and broke his tent on day one. Figures they lived cause the Hilleberg took the beating and stayed dry inside. Anyway that's a campfire story bla bla... As for the first hand look at the Hilleberg - Im 100% sold on it, and I don't spend money easily. I believe in this thread, Devilbear (can I still say that out loud here??) was a big fan of the Hillebergs. From my hands on look I believe him. I will order one just as soon as I confirm my US field trip. Just though I would throw this out there.

BCHoyt
01-11-2015, 05:25 PM
This is what we use... Nemo Morpho 2p

http://img.bergleben.de/1308224070_28.jpg

But if you are somewhere you can use tree's check out Hennessy Hammocks.

Good Old Outdoors
02-01-2015, 12:20 AM
I have an MSR Hubba Hubba NX2 tent from cabelas and I paid $389 and it weighs 3 lbs 7oz and fits perfectly in the tube pocket of a J107 Dragonfly

srupp
02-01-2015, 01:38 AM
Hmmm when ever you see real world photos, not someone trying to sell their product, or what they bought, its seems its a Mountain hardware..Everest gets pretty bad weather..hmmm mostly mountain hardware...I have a late season mh tent..yes I would trust my life in its care , for august sheep or pack hunts its a extremlly light but equally tough mh.was in a hellish rain wind storm tore all the cooking tarps to shreds...water was flowing under the tent...100% dry.
All the years no condensation, no leaks, no rips, no errors.Did talk with a sheep hunter...who had a hill tent..condensation was an issue with his...condensation, pee the bed or rain...wet is wet.
Buy quality, in optics boots and sleeping tents and bags.
Lots of good stuff to get caught getting inexpensive equipment usually doesnt end well...no sleep, not much energy to get it done?
Steven

Brett
02-02-2015, 06:33 PM
MSR carbon reflex 3...3 man ( two real world) two vestibules and weighs 3 pounds all up...but it's not bear proof :)